614: Best of Enemies

Reviews

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

I'm only making this b/c no one else has yet, so we're going with the standard stars.

5 stars
19%
4 stars
36%
3 Stars
31%
2 Stars
14%
1 Star
No votes

Total votes: 42

Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

Applesauce wrote: And unless the final four episodes of the season are amazing, I am seriously considering not buying the new album when it comes out (and so far I own them all).
Well, to be honest, I agree with most of you on this past episode in that it was rather uninteresting for me. Despite that, I think these next four episodes will be good considering they are done by Kathy Wiergena and Paul McCusker who are both more than capable of making solid episodes. Especially Paul McCusker who wrote the three parter coming up which should be very good, as usual for Paul. :)
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Applesauce wrote:Hmm...interesting topic. There are some good points being made on both sides of the argument. And while we could go back and forth on the differences between the (G)olden Days of AIO vs. the recent shows, we probably wouldn't get anywhere because that argument has been made numerous times before and it still resurfaces. Really, though, my main issue with the most recent episodes comes when I compare this season's shows with, well, themselves.

I, for one, think that the quality of AIO has been on the decline ever since the Novacom saga ended. There were only a few episodes between 2003 and 2005 that I really enjoyed listening to more than a couple times. And that's without comparing them to past shows. Then, over the last couple years I've noticed a glimmer of change. AIO still had it's occasional bad episode, but overall, I finally felt that Odyssey was beginning it's rise to its former glory. I especially felt this way last fall. Sure, there were a few weaker episodes, but "Cover of Darkness", "Out of Our Hands", "Blood, Sweat, and Fears", "The Nudge", "Mum's the Word", "The Family Next Door", and "The Chosen One" I & II were all great. I wouldn't consider them classics just yet, but they were good. But now the spring season has arrived, and my opinion of this season has taken a 180 degree turn.

"Run-of-the-Mill Miracle" was the only episode that has really stood out to me so far this year. I enjoyed "Prequels of Love" the first time through, but it felt rather stale after a second listen. "Hear Me, Hear Me" I had a lot of problems with. "The Top Floor" was okay (though kind of dumbed down compared to past mystery episodes), but it really was only the third part that I enjoyed. All three parts as a whole, however, felt rather weak. And as I stated earlier in this thread, though "Best of Enemies" wasn't necessarily bad, it felt rather bland and uninteresting.

So without all the "old vs. new" arguments, I think just arguing "fall vs. spring" is enough to show that the last batch of episodes have been far poorer than they should be. And unless the final four episodes of the season are amazing, I am seriously considering not buying the new album when it comes out (and so far I own them all).
Trent DeWhite wrote:I love how Candy Loveperson interrupts our discussion... and gives the episode a 5-star rating. :lol:
I totally agree there. :D
I agree with most of what u said. (minus some of ur episode choices)..lol

Its not a matter of the same old New episodes vs. classics. Not at all. I've said time and time again I want progression in the series. Theres no use them trying to go back to doing shows similar to the old ones. We don't want them. We want quality. We want realistic. We want orginiality. The show appealed to "all-ages". Even the pre-Novacom ones (not counting the half-shows--theres no forgiving many of those), was part of a not-so-strong part of the series, but still had many good episodes that stood out.

Not to mention, this "dumbing down" must be losing Odyssey much business. I know they matured the show since the very biginning. The first 10 albums were terribly childlike. But the change was best of the show. They got so much more business.

That's not even the point. If its just a "kids show" (and I liked the description of Saturday Morning Cartoons), then you think families still listen together? Nope. Mine don't anymore. Its gotten too young. I can only listen to the ones during the Jason/Jack era. There you have change in the show that surpassed the original. Another family I know used to listen to them as a family...during the Novacom era...now all there kids don't want to anymore.

I went to a Christian camp for kids for the past three summers. They always thought the young ones were stupid. They'd much rather listen to ones that they knew older people could enjoy too--that would make them feel smart.

And sure I think its important to have that balance of kids shows and older shows. That's how they've always done it, and that's what I expect them to be doing. Its the Odyssey-formula.

Now, I've owned every single album of Odyssey my whole life. I stopped collecting last season. I mean, I'll probably someday buy them. But I really hope the show shapens up...or at least some producer tell us what on earth they have planned for the show.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, lots of in depth discussion! \:D/ I appreciated the Connie/Lindsay storyline in this last episode, because I've been that person wondering, "Am I really the only one who doesn't like this person?" and if that's the case, like Connie, you have to realize that it's the possible that you yourself are the problem. ;) Because I could relate to Connie's problem, I liked the episode more than some of the other people in my age bracket.

I think that Trent definitely has a point about how sometimes older episodes are so beloved because of the emotional attachment that people can develop. If I saw a McGee and Me! movie, for example, for the first time ever today, I would probably laugh at how ancient they are, but right now, I still love to watch them every now and then because they bring back those great childhood memories. I'm not saying that this is entirely the case for everyone, but I think it is a factor for at least some of us, like me.
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

An okay episode, 3/5.

The one problem that I saw was that Connie said that there were only 2 sheep on the ark, I'm fairly certain that in reality there were 14 since sheep are a 'clean' animal.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Skid wrote:An okay episode, 3/5.

The one problem that I saw was that Connie said that there were only 2 sheep on the ark, I'm fairly certain that in reality there were 14 since sheep are a 'clean' animal.
'Clean animals' weren't really set apart yet, as the Mosaic Law came long after Noah. Besides the Bible said 2 of every kind.
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

Genesis 7:2 (New International Version)

Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and two of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate,
I suspect that God had already informed people about which animals were unclean or clean before the flood, even if it was not a law at that point.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Skid wrote:

Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and two of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate,
I suspect that God had already informed people about which animals were unclean or clean before the flood, even if it was not a law at that point.
Certainly a possibility, but I don't see a verse saying so. And even if he did, I don't see anything in the chapters recounting the flood saying there was 14 instead of 2.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I just listened to this episode today, and I agree with much of what has been said already. The episode was uninteresting. There was no "punch" for lack of a better term. The Connie/Lindsey storyline seemed to copy "Top This" too much and the Tamika/Kelly storyline wasn't developed as much as it should have been.

And the allergy scene---um....no. No. That wasn't funny at all and I believe it trivializes the situation. Good grief, for some people, their allergies are literally a life or death issue; making the scene into a comedy was very poor taste in my opinion. Would they joke about some diabetic person going into seizures becuase of malfunctioning blood sugar levels? I think not.
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

Jonathan wrote:
Skid wrote:

Certainly a possibility, but I don't see a verse saying so. And even if he did, I don't see anything in the chapters recounting the flood saying there was 14 instead of 2.
Uh, the verse I just posted said that Noah was supposed to take either seven pairs or (depending on the translation) seven animals of every kind of clean animal, I don't see how much more clear it could be.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

*sticks foot in mouth*

Ok, that was embarrassing ;) In that case though, I don't think it's a mistake that should affect the enjoyment one gets out of the episode.
zuzus_petals
Not as new

Post by zuzus_petals »

I like Kelly in Best of Enemie!!!
Last edited by zuzus_petals on Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dancer5678
Gold Member

Post by dancer5678 »

I think this episode is hilarious. I do think the air freshner fight is stupid but kinda funny.
~Dancer5678
Image,
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Dr. Watson wrote:I just listened to this episode today, and I agree with much of what has been said already. The episode was uninteresting. There was no "punch" for lack of a better term. The Connie/Lindsey storyline seemed to copy "Top This" too much and the Tamika/Kelly storyline wasn't developed as much as it should have been.

And the allergy scene---um....no. No. That wasn't funny at all and I believe it trivializes the situation. Good grief, for some people, their allergies are literally a life or death issue; making the scene into a comedy was very poor taste in my opinion. Would they joke about some diabetic person going into seizures becuase of malfunctioning blood sugar levels? I think not.
Especially considering that "A Glass Darkly" mentioned specifically that had Trent not gotten the bees out of Dr. Hawthorne's car and killed the one that remained, Dr. Hawthorne would have died. I'm not sure how we go from that to trivializing a peanut allergy; I hear that the closing-up of one's throat is a pretty uncomfortable situation. :roll:

I didn't mind the episode, though; I'd be willing to relisten every once in awhile. I did like the Tamika/Kelly contrast and development, though it was resolved a little too quickly. (Also, Kelly has perfect pitch, with which I can identify--I, too, have perfect pitch and have been playing by ear since I got ahold of a piano.)
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog