614: Best of Enemies

Reviews

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

I'm only making this b/c no one else has yet, so we're going with the standard stars.

5 stars
19%
4 stars
36%
3 Stars
31%
2 Stars
14%
1 Star
No votes

Total votes: 42

Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Go listen to the old albums Trent.

While I wouldn't be quite as harsh as Bennett, I agree to an extent. They do seem to be focusing on kids a lot more nowadays.

I came in long after I was out of the target age range, and it wasn't the new episodes that kept me listening.
Agent Robert Mitchell
Smile for the camera

Post by Agent Robert Mitchell »

I would agree with most of the opinions posted about this episode. Personally, I am interested in Adventures in Odyssey because I grew up with it. That means that no matter what happens, I will tend to compare the new episodes to the classic episodes. So in my opinion, this one didn't have the classic plot quality to it, which is why I'll give it a 3/5. I did enjoy a lot of the goofy scenes, the pancake scene for one.

"...although I am a little bit allergic to peanuts..."

I feel rather picky in my rating...
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
--C. S. Lewis

I have to, unfortunately. -_-
Angel Bob
insert dash here

Post by Angel Bob »

I should have posted my review of this episode earlier; it seemed like no one agreed with me about it until Bennett's post.

So what went wrong? A lot. No offense to Ms. Van Treuren, but I do tend to get nervous when a new writer pens an AIO episode. Reliving the abysmal Spring 2000 season over the past few weeks on OnePlace was a painful reminder of what can happen when a new writer (or writers) joins the team. Yes, a lot of the "bad" episodes at the time were written by the regulars, but look at the ones penned by new writers. The only episode from a new writer that came even close to the quality of "classic" AIO was "Blind Girl's Bluff," which aired during the Fall 1999 season. Episodes such as "Two Roads" and "Idol Minds," which bore no resemblance to AIO at all, were written by new writers. Of course, not all new writers have walked the path of discontinuity or lack of quality/familiarity - look at Nathan Hoobler and the quality episodes he has written, beginning with "The Triangle."

Nevertheless, I was nervous about this episode ever since I heard the plot. I had long suspected that it had something to do with Tamika and Kelly, and when the preview was aired on the AIO podcast, my suspicions were confirmed. After hearing that first scene, I was really worried. Sure enough, the episode turned out to be nothing like the AIO I had loved. First, there's the plot: there are two stories within the episode where two people just don't get along, and by the time the episode finishes, they have resolved their differences. Haven't we heard this type of story before? What happened to the days when AIO would teach an often-unheard-of moral or find a new, creative way to teach a lesson? Normally, many of the "two-plot" episodes contain a humorous, memorable story and a second, less memorable story designed to drive the moral home ("Top This!"). In this episode, neither story was memorable.

Let's take the Connie/Lindsey story: not only do we get to hear from yet another annoying character (add Lindsey to that list that includes Felicia, Mrs. Sutton, and Evelyn), but the situations are also handled so poorly. We hear incident after incident of Connie and Lindsey quarreling about something - in many cases, something trivial. These scenes add nothing to the show. We even hear an uncomfortable scene where Lindsey gets sick after eating peanuts she is allergic to. Was this intended to be funny? Aren't the writers worried that kids might try to be "courageous" and eat food that could potentially harm them? Along the same lines, whatever happened to Chris's warning in her ending wrap-up? This type of situation was appropriately handled in "Two Sides to Every Story," but that episode's tact is nowhere to be found here. Finally, there is Connie's blowup: whatever happened to the maturity we have come to expect from Connie in recent years? It's as if the evil, immature Connie robot from "Idol Minds" has resurrected this past year and is still alive after "Hear Me, Hear Me." Then, at the very end, Connie apologizes to Lindsey in the Bible room. Ho hum. There's a sweet scene where Lindsey plays with the Noah's Ark display with Connie afterwards, but it's ultimately forgettable.

The Tamika/Kelly storyline is even less memorable. Although many of the situations were more realistic and "true-to-life" than the other storyline, it just didn't work for an AIO episode. Pretty much the entire time they share a room, Tamika and Kelley share disagreements about various issues. These parts of the episode are largely uninteresting. Then there is the awful scene where the two girls throw water balloons at each other. Okay, so maybe it was a bit funny, but largely immature at the same time. In the middle of the fight, Ed walks in and breaks up the fight in an uncharacteristically mean tone of voice. The very end of this plot finds us watching Tamika and Kelly dabbling together in a common interest - writing a song. Again, these scenes do not move the plot along. We discover that Tamika wants to share a room with Kelley after all, but how did she arrive at that conclusion? Both of the characters seemed so one-dimensional that we as listeners don't have much of an opportunity to struggle with Tamika. We don't hear exactly why she had a change of heart. All we know is that she started to enjoy Kelley after they found a common interest. Pretty boring stuff.

After reading the comments above mine, I can agree that AIO has been "dumbed down" for a younger audience. I hate to say that, but it's true. "The Top Floor" was a great example of an episode that will probably stand the test of time, but I unfortunately can't speak as such for other recent episodes. Thankfully, this episode did away with the bouncy "circus music" that has punctuated many recent slice-of-life shows, but the stories are so uninteresting that I can't recommend it, let alone listen to it a second time.

During the break of re-airs between March and April, I listened to the entirety of "Wish You Were Here" quite a few times. Remember the days when every episode provided a new, interesting, and unique listening experience? The days when we would laugh and cry along with the characters? The days when quality dialogue drove an episode?

I remember those days.

(4 out of 10)
trinity4888
Gold Member

Post by trinity4888 »

I agree with several of the posts contained within this Topic, somewhat.
But moreover I agree with the review on the Unofficial Adventures in Odyssey Podcast. Thus giving it 4/5 stars.
When I first heard this program I had three problems with it:
1. I thought it was a little rushed. It seemed to be one segment of fast dialogue after another. Although difficult at first, I got used too it.
2. The waterballoon scene made me cringe a bit because the sound affects felt weird. Like they weren't set at the right times.
3. They seemed to have skirted past Kelly's problem once again. I know this show is for younger listeners but still, shouldn't they say something.

Overall though I liked this show. What really turned me to it was the fact that it had my little sister in stitches the whole way through. And too me, that is more important than how wonderful the writing is or how in character everyone is.
Plus, you gotta give Madam Odyssey Intern props. It was her first episode after all.
~Trinity B.~
Trinity: I don't believe in the catagoration of food. If it wants to be a fruit it can be fruit. If it wants to be vegetable it can be a vegetable. In todays society anyone and anything can be whatever they so wish.
Siblings: How do you know which it wants to be?
Trinity: I just ask! I say 'Hey apple! You wanna be a fruit or a vegetable?' And the apple will say back to me 'Well, I always wanted to be a vegetable.' So I just say back 'Thus you are' and down the hatch said vegetable goes!
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Post by Conniepaw »

noname wrote:

During the break of re-airs between March and April, I listened to the entirety of "Wish You Were Here" quite a few times. Remember the days when every episode provided a new, interesting, and unique listening experience? The days when we would laugh and cry along with the characters? The days when quality dialogue drove an episode?

I remember those days.
Ahhh...the good old days. I love the album Wish you where here. One of my favorites.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Perhaps the older listeners of this show should just stop listening to Odyssey altogether, for the benefit of their own sanity. :noway:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Agentpaw
Eh, whats up doc?

Post by Agentpaw »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Perhaps the older listeners of this show should just stop listening to Odyssey altogether, for the benefit of their own sanity. :noway:
:x
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Agentpaw wrote::x
My thoughts exactly. :(
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

I gave it three stars becasue it didnt really impress me or depress me.
I didnt think it was that greatbut not too bad either.
A little corny though.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

ALTERNO, are you mr.whit? *can't keep up with all the name changing*
Trent DeWhite wrote:Perhaps the older listeners of this show should just stop listening to Odyssey altogether, for the benefit of their own sanity. :noway:
As an older listener, I don't like to admit there's some truth in your statement, but there's some truth in your statement there ;)
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

Jonathan wrote:ALTERNO, are you mr.whit? *can't keep up with all the name changing*
As an older listener, I don't like to admit there's some truth in your statement, but there's some truth in your statement there ;)
Yep its me. :D
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

I For one, had no idea that this was written by a new writer. So I'm not attacking her. And yes, I did appreciate that there was no bouncy music...but...it was definitely not very interesting episode.

Before we get a "if you don't like odyssey, don't listen" speech from someone, lemme just say that I don't hate EVERYTHING about the past couple of seasons...I'm just saying, it could be better. Too many things have happened that changed all at once for us old listeners. The art changed drastically, the music changed, the old characters have died, the writers have changed, the show has been dumbed down for kids...I mean, take a look at the Odyssey podcasts!! And this isn't "ever since Novacom", this is pretty recent stuff, here. (though, it has progressively decreased after Novacom)

But I have faith that it might turn around. But its taking too long. And I've been waiting from the writers to come out and say "yes, we're dumbing the show down", "we're trying to appeal to more to younger children"...in that case, fine, but don't wait around and let us blame you guys for bad writing.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Last I checked, Focus on the Family never stated Odyssey was geared toward 18+ year olds. :headscratch:
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

Conniepaw wrote:
noname wrote:

I remember those days.
Ahhh...the good old days. I love the album Wish you where here. One of my favorites.
Yes indeed, I remember the good old days too. :( And nice post, noname. I certainly know how you feel. :)

True, Trent, AIO is not geared toward the 18+ age bracket, but I think the point being made here is that the show used to appeal to both the old and young alike. This is one of the reasons that made the program so special. Even with the sometimes amateur actors of the early years, the show had heart, and I certainly do not feel embarrassed or bored listening to them, even at an almost 22 year olds. ;) Granted, I do not want to discount some of the quality shows that have been made recently (i.e. Prisoners of Fear), but it seems like the majority of today's shows are only Saturday morning radio cartoons. Many consist only of slapstick humor and ridiculous scenarios that do not at all seem realistic. I even find myself cringing sometimes whenever I listen to some of them. Perhaps someday AIO will get back to its roots and start making shows that appeal to both its old and younger fan base. Can it be done? The classics certainly have certainly proven so. At this point, I suppose we can only hope. ;)
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Well said, Trinarius. I cannot disagree with your point about the quality of the shows in recent years being sub-par to that which we've come to love and respect in some of the "classic" episodes. My primary concern, however, is that some of us older fans have somehow "romanticized" those older episodes (considering most of them listened to them when they were younger) and have placed them on this pedestal. It's like I alluded to earlier... as much as it feels Odyssey has "dumbed down" its shows (and I agree that a handful of them have been quite evidently geared towards the younger audience), I cannot help but wonder if it seems this way because we have "grown up." We view some of the older episodes through rose-colored glasses because they appealed to us when we first listened to them. It's no wonder we're occasionally disappointed when we hear some of the newer episodes... definitely, in part, due to some of the factors Bennett mentioned (different writers, music, actors, etc.). However, like I mentioned in my first post, perhaps we need to adjust our expectations for the show. Are we so adverse to change that we can't appreciate the episodes for what they are? Must we cling so tightly to our memories of the "classic" episode that we cannot learn to enjoy the new episodes?
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

Kur-plunk HAHA!

Wow, Leather.

:lolsign:

"If you need me tomorrow, I'll be in the bell tower."

AWESOME ending! I gave it a 5 stars
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Last I checked, Focus on the Family never stated Odyssey was geared toward 18+ year olds. :headscratch:
No, but they have said it's intended for all ages.

edit- Good post Trin, and Trent.

And Trent, I agree with you about that pedastal thing--I've often thought the same thing.

I would like to say that when I do express disappointment it's not coming through those rose-colored glasses. That's why I said earlier, I came into AIO fandom long after I should've. I heard old and new alike, and I gotta tell you, it was those old shows that got me hooked.

And it wasn't just because they were older--they made me think. That just hasn't happened much recently.

So anyway, I probably don't have the same pedastal others here have, and I really do try to be objective and look at the episode for what it is.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Jonathan wrote:...I really do try to be objective and look at the episode for what it is.
And I appreciate that. :)

I love how Candy Loveperson interrupts our discussion... and gives the episode a 5-star rating. :lol:
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

Hmm...interesting topic. There are some good points being made on both sides of the argument. And while we could go back and forth on the differences between the (G)olden Days of AIO vs. the recent shows, we probably wouldn't get anywhere because that argument has been made numerous times before and it still resurfaces. Really, though, my main issue with the most recent episodes comes when I compare this season's shows with, well, themselves.

I, for one, think that the quality of AIO has been on the decline ever since the Novacom saga ended. There were only a few episodes between 2003 and 2005 that I really enjoyed listening to more than a couple times. And that's without comparing them to past shows. Then, over the last couple years I've noticed a glimmer of change. AIO still had it's occasional bad episode, but overall, I finally felt that Odyssey was beginning it's rise to its former glory. I especially felt this way last fall. Sure, there were a few weaker episodes, but "Cover of Darkness", "Out of Our Hands", "Blood, Sweat, and Fears", "The Nudge", "Mum's the Word", "The Family Next Door", and "The Chosen One" I & II were all great. I wouldn't consider them classics just yet, but they were good. But now the spring season has arrived, and my opinion of this season has taken a 180 degree turn.

"Run-of-the-Mill Miracle" was the only episode that has really stood out to me so far this year. I enjoyed "Prequels of Love" the first time through, but it felt rather stale after a second listen. "Hear Me, Hear Me" I had a lot of problems with. "The Top Floor" was okay (though kind of dumbed down compared to past mystery episodes), but it really was only the third part that I enjoyed. All three parts as a whole, however, felt rather weak. And as I stated earlier in this thread, though "Best of Enemies" wasn't necessarily bad, it felt rather bland and uninteresting.

So without all the "old vs. new" arguments, I think just arguing "fall vs. spring" is enough to show that the last batch of episodes have been far poorer than they should be. And unless the final four episodes of the season are amazing, I am seriously considering not buying the new album when it comes out (and so far I own them all).
Trent DeWhite wrote:I love how Candy Loveperson interrupts our discussion... and gives the episode a 5-star rating. :lol:
I totally agree there. :D
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I have to say that I kind of related to what was going on in that episode. The arguing between Tamika and Kelli seemed reminiscent of the arguments my sisters use to have, minus the water fight because they use to share a room. Also the deal between Connie and Lindsay I could relate to because when I was in college I had a roommates and well...some were better than others.

The whole thing with Tamika and Kelli didn't bother me because as we know from The Chosen One I&II we know that Tamika was the last one to come around to accepting the idea. Tamika even went in and showed Kelli how to use the recording function on the keyboard Ed had dropped off. Highlighting that one common thing...music.

In this episode you see them arguing because while Tamika has accepted the idea of taking Kelli into their home she does not deal well with change. For starters anyone who has had their own room for a while would not warm to the idea of having to share with someone they hardly know and aren't exactly sure they trust (yes there are trust issues). However in the end it's their common interest that (for now) calms the waters...music.

Kelli gives Tamika a gift because as Tamika says she can't seem to get the notes of her mum's song right whenever she tries to play it on her keyboard. My guess is that Kelli is blessed, or cursed, with perfect pitch which is why she's able to help Tamika record it finally.