614: Best of Enemies

Reviews

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

I'm only making this b/c no one else has yet, so we're going with the standard stars.

5 stars
19%
4 stars
36%
3 Stars
31%
2 Stars
14%
1 Star
No votes

Total votes: 42

Jonathan
Dungeon Master

614: Best of Enemies

Post by Jonathan »

Post your reviews here \:D/
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Surely you could have been more creative than that! ;)

My review can be heard on the Unofficial Podcast Ep. 11. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Surely you could have been more creative than that! ;)
Probably, but I just got off work and am feeling lazy ;)
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I thought this episode was okay. It was a lighthearted, silly episode, which I didn’t mind, but I wished it was more serious. It was nice to hear Sara Buskirk—the voice of former Odyssey kid Courtney Vincent—as Lindsay. Although I wish the writers hadn’t made her quite so ditzy, I found her impulsive, creative personality rather humorous. I wished Connie acted more mature in dealing with Lindsay, but at least she turned around and started acting kinder without much help from Whit.

As for the Kelly and Tamika storyline, I enjoyed that part of the episode, though I did think Kelly was going to be a bit more hostile towards Tamika.. I enjoyed the scene with them on the sofa bed, with Tamika comforting Kelly, and the subsequent scene with them on the keyboards. That was neat how they could both use their talents to work together. I initially disliked this episode, but when I listened to it over again; it grew on me. Overall, not one of my favorites, but then again, not all that bad. :D
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Random thoughts:

1. I kinda liked the Tamika/Kelly part of it. Except for a minute or two of over-silliness it sounded really, well, real.

2. Speaking of which, Ed sounded like a parent here! I really liked that. Every now and then I'm left scratching my head when it comes to him, but not here. I liked his part of it, really.

3. I also liked hearing the bell at Whit's End. Is it just me, or has it been a while since that's happened?

4. An episode driven by dialogue, and not the circus music or implausible insanity. Another plus.

5. Lindsey was kinda hyper. Not necessarily bad.

6. My only real problem with the episode--the nut scene. Lindsey and Connie both acted dumb here, but especially Lindsey. I sincerely hope that there weren't any really young kids listening who now think that such life-threatening allergies aren't serious.

Conclusion: I really like it when we get a slice-of-life as a stand-alone episode. In my opinion, it doesn't happen enough. But when it does, it needs to be realistic and driven by dialogue--y'know, something we can relate to and not the implausible-insanity-with-circus-music scenes.

Because I liked hearing a stand-alone slice-of-life that was somewhat relatable to everyday life, I really wanted to give it at least a four. But it had just enough silliness (and that nut scene) for it to fall in the middle somewhat, so I'm rating it a three.

edit-

7. I agree with the post above me--it was nice to hear Connie realize her problems on her own and take steps to fix them.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

*globalified*
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

Hmm...interesting episode. I was glad to hear from Kelley again (and Lindsay/Courtney Vincent).

This was a rather forgettable episode for me, though, and I had a hard time getting interested in it. There was nothing really wrong with it, it just felt....weak. I guess my main issue is that I had high hopes for the Kelley story because her character was set up so well in The Chosen One, and I wanted to hear more how she adjusted to the whole family, not just her arguments with Tamika. And the peanut butter, water balloon, and air freshener fight scenes seemed out of place to me.

Still, for only being an intern, Sherry VanTreuren did an decent job for her first episode, and there were several parts I enjoyed. I give this episode 3 stars.
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

The part that I really didn't like was the Lindsey/Connie part with the peanut pancakes.

"I can take two...more bites before my lungs close up."

It just dosen't seem something a real person would do.
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

Lindsey was annoying Tamkia was very good.

Check out my newspaper To0 Star
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

Jonathan wrote:My only real problem with the episode--the nut scene. Lindsey and Connie both acted dumb here, but especially Lindsey. I sincerely hope that there weren't any really young kids listening who now think that such life-threatening allergies aren't serious.
I, fortunately, came in too late to hear that scene. They played that card in "Sounds Like a Mystery," which was my biggest problem with that otherwise pretty good episode.

Anyway, normally this would rate as a three-and-half, but because it was the writer's first episode, I'm going to be generous and give it a four.
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

I gave it a four. I thought Sherry did a really good job for her first time. It's always good to hear a well written slice of life episode. It didn't get too silly for me, I just thought it was very... light-hearted.
Exercise Daily-Walk with The Lord!
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

It was disappointing.
Last edited by Bennett on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agentpaw
Eh, whats up doc?

Post by Agentpaw »

I am going to give this episode a 4/5 star rating.

For some reason I got the impression that it was rushed, but all in all I liked it. Me and me sister both laughed at the scene where Lindsey was trying to eat the pancakes. :lol:

The only problems I had with it, was that it felt rushed, and I could tell that it was written by a newbie to writing odyssey episodes. ;)

But for the most part I enjoyed this episode.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

I thought it was pretty good, although not deserving a five star rating, thus I give it a four star rating.
I thought the water balloon fight was quite funny.

The peanut butter scene, was a bit strange to me, but also personal to me as I would never eat something I know I can't have (I myself am allergic to all kinds of nuts), but overall it was an okay scene.

I loved the sofa-bed scene. I loved that it was shown again, that Kelly is an ordinary kid, even though she doesn't like to show it. I also liked Tamika talking about and humming the song that Mrs. Washington would sing or hum for her.

Ed Washington was perfect, acting normal and serious for once. I would have liked to hear from Mrs. Washington though.

Overall, it was a nice episode, with a lesson that everyone needs to learn, and I must say that the new writer did a good job her first time. Good job!
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

So I’m the one who voted 2 stars, the lowest rating so far. Here are my thoughts written this past Thursday:

Sometimes the inclusion of certain peripheral/one-time characters just makes you wonder.

In “Best of Enemies,” that person was Lindsey. Add her to the list that in recent shows includes Evelyn from “Hear Me, Hear Me” and Felicia from “Living in the Gray.” They’re painfully annoying, over the top, and drag the story down. Now I’m not bashing the idea. Having a teenage character for Connie to mentor is a good thought. Something like that in the long term may even be good, much like the Jimmy and Lawrence relationship. However, the wacky execution didn’t work. I expected Connie to be more mature, but then she wouldn’t have had a lesson to learn.

The Tamika/Kelley storyline was pretty good. The air freshener scene was funny, and I don’t have any qualms about the water balloons. Growing closer through the keyboard was predictable but decent.

The episode wasn’t so terrible that I wanted to turn it off, but I have no urge to listen again.

Edit: After listening to the UAIO Podcast and finding we disagreed, maybe I should put a disclaimer in my sig. ;)
Last edited by Taq on Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Bennett wrote:I almost considered stop listening to Odyssey because of it.

1. I hope the author doesn't stumble across this.

2. You can't be serious.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Maybe its a bit harsh. But after listening to Odyssey my whole life...

A lotta episode lately have just been so boring (like, intellectually)...

This one was boring. And the storyline, and interest, has been dumbed down for a younger audience. :( Even "The Top Floor" sounded significantly for younger audience (instead for all ages).

Odyssey is probably gonna keep holding my attention for one more season. And then it'll probably be gone, and I'll be selectively listening to one or two shows per season...

Its just sad to think that this is how it's gonna be.
Arla
Popsicle kid

Post by Arla »

It was.....*looking for word*....okay. Nothing new happened except for Tamika and Kelly starting to get along. The water balloon fight made me cringe. I can't say that I would listen to it again. I can't remember, but why did Lindsey come? I can't remember the reason why.
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
Agentpaw
Eh, whats up doc?

Post by Agentpaw »

Konservative Kid wrote:I can't remember, but why did Lindsey come? I can't remember the reason why.
I believe she come to be an intern at Whits End for three weeks. :)
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Bennett wrote:A lotta episode lately have just been so boring (like, intellectually)...

This one was boring. And the storyline, and interest, has been dumbed down for a younger audience. :( Even "The Top Floor" sounded significantly for younger audience (instead for all ages).
Have you ever considered storylines seem geared toward younger audiences not because Odyssey is "dumbing down" their scripts, but because we're growing older...? At times I feel disconnected with some of the newer episodes, also, but then I have to take a take a step back and realize I'm nineteen. This show is geared towards 8-12 year olds. As much as we wish Odyssey "matured" along with us, I believe that's an unrealistic expectation. Of course, this isn't to say you can't have your opinion or even be disappointed with an episode. I think we simply need to be cognizant of the fact Odyssey isn't necessarily aimed toward us older audiences, and therefore, we would be wise to adjust our expectations.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!