615: Only By His Grace.

Post your reviews!

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

615: Fall From Grace.

5 Stars.
20%
4 Stars.
63%
3 Stars.
17%
2 Stars.
No votes
1 Star.
No votes

Total votes: 35

Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

I finally got around to listening to "Only By His Grace". I have to say, this was a great episode! Unlike most split-story episodes these days, the two stories in this ep both had a purpose. Neither one relied on the other for 'comic relief'. When I first heard both Mandy and Grady were going to be in this episode, I thought it was too much. I wanted Mandy to get her own episode. But the two stories actually played off of each other very well.

I particularly loved the ending when the very joyful scene with Grady and Whit at the water park transitioned into the dead silence of Mandy's room as she cried to God that her father was moving away. The stark contrast of the two scenes was really powerful.

There were a few minor issues I had, however:
First of all, the (as Jonathan puts it) "circus" music. On the whole, I felt that the music and sound design for this episode was excellent, but in that one scene with Grady the music was over the top. But it didn't bug me as much in this episode as it has in some.

Secondly, David Strausburg bothers me. He has ever since they brought his character back into the show for the divorce arc. I know it may be tough to write and create a convincing character out of a teenage guy, though I think a great place to start would have been hiring an actual teenage actor (no offence to Robbie Rist, who is doing an admirable job considering the circumstances). But I think the main issue is how his character is being written. His character just doesn't quite feel "real."

Last, but also least, was anyone else slightly bothered by the whole conversation between Grady and Whit taking place entirely on a water park ride? That seemed a little odd to me...

Anyway, that said, Kathy is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers. I say 5 stars (however, I may just be overly appreciative due to the poorer episodes that have been airing lately).
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
dsheets
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by dsheets »

I also had to laugh at David's line about the Cubs being a great thing about Chicago--makes me wonder if the writer of this ep is a Cubs fan (they are quite possibly the worst team in baseball, but have a very very loyal fan following ;) )
Truer words were never spoken.

I also imagined Whit wearing swimming trunks. It was not a pleasant thought. I guess I had always thought of Whit as someone who wouldn't be caught dead in swim trunks. Oh well.

The scene with Grady hiding in the cupboard was great.
"If you casually cover your mouth with your hand, you will never put your foot in it."
-Danny Kaye
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I really enjoyed this episode. The Grady's storyline was awesome, and Mandy's story was heartbreakingly real. With Mr. Straussberg moving to Chicago, I wonder what's going to happen to the Straussberg family. I liked hearing Grady's ongoing journey, learning more about Jesus. Initially, when I first heard this episode, I was a bit disappointed...I was expecting something more to happen to the Straussberg family. But on listening to it a second time, I really enjoyed it.
zuzus_petals
Not as new

Post by zuzus_petals »

I liked the episode.
Last edited by zuzus_petals on Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.