615: Only By His Grace.

Post your reviews!

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

615: Fall From Grace.

5 Stars.
20%
4 Stars.
63%
3 Stars.
17%
2 Stars.
No votes
1 Star.
No votes

Total votes: 35

Agentpaw
Eh, whats up doc?

615: Only By His Grace.

Post by Agentpaw »

Post your reviews for the newest episode 615: Only By His Grace! \:D/

Spoilers Below!

I gave this episode 4/5 stars, because first of all, we get to hear more from the Mandy story-arch. Which was somewhat depressing. :( But I still enjoyed the episode. :)

I also really liked the part when Grady was trying to be nice to Whit so he would buy him the tubing ticket. :lol:

So what where all your thought's on this episode? :-k

Locked until Saturday and spoiler warning added : ) ~liz
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Agentpaw wrote:Post your reviews for the newest episode 615: Only By His Grace! \:D/

I gave this episode 4/5 stars, because first of all, we get to hear more from the Mandy story-arch. Which was somewhat depressing. :( But I still enjoyed the episode. :)

I also really liked the part when Grady was trying to be nice to Whit so he would buy him the tubing ticket. :lol:

So what where all your thought's on this episode? :-k
My thoughts are we shouldn't be posting our reviews til Saturday ;)
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Better script than last weeks. A bit more clever, a nice lesson, 3/5, I suppose...
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

*clears throat*

Ahem,

The circus music needs to go!

I thought since we are still getting that nice big bold letters might help ;) But more on that later.

I really really liked this episode. And it wasn't necessarily for the drama, or the story (though I liked both), but it was because it made me think. Odyssey needs to do that, and it doesn't happen too much these days. I thought the morals were great, and Chris' wrap-up talk was the best in a while.

I liked how Mandy prayed at the end, everything was realisitic. It was well done. Dialogue driven--good.

I also liked Grady. That kid is growing on me. I also liked the relationship Whit showed with the kids, and how the story closed--everything from the happenings to Whit's talk.

The only problem I had--well, I was ready to bill this episode as John Campbell's best in some time, after the first scene or two. But then, then came the circus music.

I think that the scene with Grady's mishaps was necessary, but we needed music that complemented the scene--like the competition montage from Top This--and not something that was overbearingly obnoxious. Instead of that, it took away from the scene rather then adding to it.

So, with that being my only problem, I'm giving it four stars out of five.
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

I liked both stories, but thought that they didn't fit together in the same episode. They both needed to be separate stories with a couple more scenes added in to each. I think the Mandy story would have been more effective if the Grady scenes wouldn't have interspersed.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Samitude wrote:I liked both stories, but thought that they didn't fit together in the same episode. They both needed to be separate stories with a couple more scenes added in to each. I think the Mandy story would have been more effective if the Grady scenes wouldn't have interspersed.
I think that Grady/Mandy episodes are quite interesting - Mandy is dealing with her father and mother separating, and Grady's already gone through it. So in a way it makes sense.

I loved this, actually, because it featured both a very disappointed Mandy, and a hopeful Grady... and the David Straussburg acting was rather interesting.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Arla
Popsicle kid

Post by Arla »

It was better than last week. I'm still getting used to Grady. I really wanted to hug Mandy. It's going really rough for her.
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

I enjoyed this episode: Grady is really starting to grow on me, and his Samantha was adorable. Especially when she said Grady was monkey hunting. I also liked hearing Grady in the kitchen cabinet.
Poor Mandy! I liked when she prayed at the end. That was sad.

The moral was good. Whit sounded wiser in this episode than he has in the past few. Thus, I give this episode a 4 stars with only a few things that bothered me.

BTW, I know we're supposed to use our imaginations when we listen to AIO: so I imagined Whit in swimming trunks. *cough* The visual picture I got was not good. x_x
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

*Imagines Whit in neon orange swim trunks.*
The horror! Oh, the horror! :sick:

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Yeah, lol, I actually took time to imagine Whit in his swimming trunks too. I mean, I didn't take a looong time thinking about it. But it just stuck a mental picture in my head as they were saying it.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I finally got a chance to listen to this last night, and I really liked it. \:D/ Mandy's storyline really saddened me. I am hoping that her parents will work it out, and that AIO will show how estranged people can reconcile with God's help.
I also enjoyed the Grady part...the cabinet scene was probably my favorite of his story. :lol:

Overall, I voted 4/5 stars. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

It cool both stories didn't fit in.4/5.

Check out my newspaper To0 Star
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I just caught this ep on the radio last night while taking a final cruise around town, and I gotta say that the music didn't bother me as much. It was just the inbetween stuff that sent me up the wall (and as someone who is very involved with music, that theme is now mercilessly stuck in my head ;) )

I also had to laugh at David's line about the Cubs being a great thing about Chicago--makes me wonder if the writer of this ep is a Cubs fan (they are quite possibly the worst team in baseball, but have a very very loyal fan following ;) )
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

LOL glad I'm not the only one who was trying to imagine Whit in swimming trunks.. 0_o
...I hate marquees.
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Well, I gave this episode 4/5. I thought both stories, Mandy's and Grady's, fit together nicely. It was quite sad to hear about Mandy's parents but it was funny to see how David started to buy the Cub's merchandise!

I normally don't care for Grady episodes and Mandy's story arc is what made me give this episode and 4/5. Though it was cute, especially the scrubbing the floors.

Overall the episode has a very good moral and one of my new favorites.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I also enjoyed the Grady part...the cabinet scene was probably my favorite of his story. :lol:
Haven't we heard hiding-in-cabinet scene already this season? Just an observation...I liked both of them.
Birdie wrote:I normally don't care for Grady episodes and Mandy's story arc is what made me give this episode and 4/5. Though it was cute, especially the scrubbing the floors.
I could say the opposite, almost. I haven't really gotten into Mandy's arc, but I liked her story a lot in this episode. Grady's story was decent; I'm another who's liking the mini-skeptic/questioner more and more. Samantha's slowly getting more lines...
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Itaque wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:I also enjoyed the Grady part...the cabinet scene was probably my favorite of his story. :lol:
Haven't we heard hiding-in-cabinet scene already this season? Just an observation...I liked both of them.
I don't know...I can't recall another scene like that. :-k But I'm going blank on what earlier episodes were.... :-
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
Itaque wrote:
I don't know...I can't recall another scene like that. :-k But I'm going blank on what earlier episodes were.... :-
Ah, should have put in a link! I'm thinking of The Top Floor III.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

J-man wrote:LOL glad I'm not the only one who was trying to imagine Whit in swimming trunks.. 0_o
I tried, but my mind just couldn't complete that mental picture.
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by aiofan »

so this episode says that Mandy is involved in a Deaf ministry!?!?!? i think this is the first time odyssey has mentioned Deaf people!!!! Does Mandy know sign language?? Being a sign language interpreter and studying to become a teacher for deaf and hard of hearing kids makes me really excited to hear this... doubtful that there will be more mention of this in the future...but u never know!