616: The Other Side of the Glass Part 1

Reviews! Yay!

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

I think that this episode deserves...

5 stars - just like Catspaw!
30%
4 stars - I don't believe in perfection
52%
3 stars - acceptable, but not as cool as Catspaw (see above)
12%
2 stars - if this was a cake, I would return it!
6%
1 star - I am shocked and appalled at the dreadfulness of this episode!
No votes

Total votes: 33

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
616: The Other Side of the Glass Part 1

Post by Catspaw »

I'm making this thread so I can globalize it and go to bed, since nobody else made a review thread yet! So enjoy it or else! \:D/
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

Even though it is still Friday here in California, I think I'll post my review anyway. ;)

Wow, I was really impressed with this show. It gives me great hope for the future of AIO! This show definitely had a classic feel to it and had a production value that seems to have been missing recently. The story is an unusual one, for sure, but it is definitely an original. It will be interesting to find out where the story progresses from here. One thing that I was most impressed with was the sharp and witty dialogue between the characters, especially between Wooton and Bernard. The fast-paced dialogue and the timing of the jokes were executed nicely. Oh man, Howard’s stress attacks cracked me up! This is proof that a show can be funny and smart without the need for absurd and ridiculous scenarios. I thought the sound effects and music fit extremely well, and they added to an already well developed show. It is Odyssey episodes like these that keep us older listeners tuned in. Great job, AIO team! 5/5 well deserved stars.
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

I gave this one a two. :(

The music wasn't very good, any one of the pieces would have been fine alone, but together they lacked any central theme.

The plot was drawn out too far, it would have been fine if done in 15 minutes but a whole half hour just trying to find out what a single symbol means was far too much.

That whole thing about a symbol forming on the glass was not believable outside of a fantasy show, which AIO is not.

The sound effects were too harsh, not like the smooth, blended effects that I'm used to coming from AIO, not natural at all.

The interactions were fairly good though, Bernard's reaction to Wooton's sillyness was quite enjoyable.

DISCLAIMER: I reserve the right to change this opinion without any warning whatsoever. Read at your own risk. If you have already read it, that's your problem, not mine. (And you might want to read it again since I'm editing this post about every five minutes.)
Last edited by Skid on Fri May 11, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angel Bob
insert dash here

Post by Angel Bob »

Okay, I’ll go ahead and say it up front: I loved this episode. Now, maybe you're wondering: "What the queso?! The guy who hated 'Hear Me, Hear Me' and all the recent 'circus' music and childish plots likes this one?"

Well, yes...I did. :D

Yes, it had somewhat bouncy music. Yes, the plot sounded extremely ridiculous. And yes, this episode is probably unlike anything we've heard in AIO thus far. But it worked.

Let me explain: Paul McCusker is a master of character development. Nearly every episode he has written allows us to hear a story from the eyes and minds of the characters involved. This is what makes a good story great. While listening to this episode, I couldn't help but think of that other mystery episode that Mr. McCusker penned..."The Perfect Witness." In that story, we as listeners get to experience the mystery from the perspective of a blind girl. And in "The Other Side of the Glass," we get to experience a mystery inside the mind of Wooton. After hearing this first part, I don't think it could be pulled off any other way. It's just too much fun to listen to. :)

So what sets this episode apart from, say, "Hear Me, Hear Me"? (another "fun", goofy episode with Wooton) This one somehow feels less childish. The former had way too much immature humor, bouncy music, and "inconsistent" characters. This episode, despite its unconventional plot, somehow feels appropriate for AIO. It's as if Mr. McCusker revisited the crazy concepts in the "rejected episode ideas list" on AIOHQ and found something that could be successfully pulled off now that we have such an "off-the-wall" character like Wooton. Does it work? I think so. The characters are themselves, the humor is well-placed, and overall, the episode contains that unique eccentricity that has made AIO special.

As I mentioned earlier, much of the fun of this episode is hearing the story from the mind of Wooton. Nearly every line he delivers is pure comedic gold, and the ones that aren't comedic contribute to the story and drive the episode along. To be honest, if there were ever a mystery episode with Wooton as a main player, it would have to involve something like this. I just can't see Wooton in an episode like "The Case of the Secret Room," but a mystery about symbols on windows? It's so perfect for him. :D You can tell that Paul had a lot of fun writing this - just listen to Wooton and Connie's exchange at the end about "a lot of really's." Sound familiar? (Hint: Listen to Part 2 of "Waylaid in the Windy City.") Bernard is enjoyable as well - if there was ever a fun pair of characters in Odyssey to listen to besides him and Eugene or Eugene and Connie, it would be Bernard and Wooton. The last time we heard them together was in "Bassett Hounds," and the interaction between them in this episode doesn't fail to disappoint. Speaking of Bernard, I absolutely loved that first scene. Just listen to his humming and collecting the cleaning supplies before he talks to Madge - the sound quality is top-notch. We know it's Bernard before he even speaks with another character.

Of course, there were some aspects of this episode that weren't quite up to par. There were moments when I felt like Bernard could have delivered more memorable lines, but maybe a lot of them are being saved for the next two parts. Whit's line to Connie during the search engine scene, "What makes you such an expert?" seemed a bit uncharacteristic, but it didn't really detract from the scene (and ended up reinforcing what a bunch of listeners were probably thinking anyway ;)). I can't really judge or rate this episode completely until I hear the next two parts, but I'm loving what I hear so far. The "fun" feel of the story works so well. This is the only other comedic three-parter besides "Aloha, Oy!" and while it may not be quite as memorable as that episode thus far, and although the plot may be extremely unconventional for AIO, it still feels like classic AIO.

Hats off to Mr. McCusker - I'm eagerly awaiting the next two parts. :D
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I enjoyed it as well, although I thought it could've went faster. It was a little slow. Also that scientist guy drove me nuts with his "attacks" of whatever it was.. :anxious:

Wooton was awesome, it was classic Wooton humor. Then adding Bernard in too just made it better, they're perfect together with Bernard's sense of humor. Very enjoyable, I'm excited to see what's going to happen next.. \:D/
...I hate marquees.
Arla
Popsicle kid

Post by Arla »

Really good start! I have no idea where this one is going, but it's fun to try to guess. I wondered also why Connie was suddenly go with computers. Lots of ideas to ponder over. I was glad that there is a storyline that isn't so serious. No missing father and parents that might break up. I know that it probably will turn serious but it was nice just to hear the characters in Odyssey.
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
Agentpaw
Eh, whats up doc?

Post by Agentpaw »

I gave this episode 5/5 stars.

Ok, now that that's over with, here's my review...

What I liked most about this episode was the humor in the interactions between Bernard and Wooton, very funny! :lol:

Also, when I first started to listen to it, I herd Bernard and I thought: Yes! Bernard's in it! Because Bernard is one of my favorite characters. :)

I also liked the music and sounds effects, the music used when the symbol started appearing was successful in the fact that it freaked me out. :sniff:

And of course, the stress attacks where hilarious!

And it left me on a cliff hanger, a very large one, I can't wait to hear the next part! \:D/
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I'm not going to rate this episode til I hear the other parts...it's hard for me to decide right now after just the first.

I liked some parts, because I find Wooton and his interaction with Bernard quite funny, but I did not like other scenes. (e.g. The gasping, paper bag stress attacks.) The overall plot seems a little strange right now, but I'm waiting to see where it's going. Anyone else think that people might possibly find out that Wooton draws Powerboy? :-k

It was interesting...kind of a mystery, but not a heart-pounding suspense mystery. :D

I look forward to the next 2 episodes. (I have no idea what's coming up, as I refuse to spoil it by listening to the previews...) ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

noname wrote:Okay, I’ll go ahead and say it up front: I loved this episode. Now, maybe you're wondering: "What the queso?! The guy who hated 'Hear Me, Hear Me' and all the recent 'circus' music and childish plots likes this one?"

Well, yes...I did. :D

Yes, it had somewhat bouncy music. Yes, the plot sounded extremely ridiculous. And yes, this episode is probably unlike anything we've heard in AIO thus far. But it worked.

Let me explain: Paul McCusker is a master of character development. Nearly every episode he has written allows us to hear a story from the eyes and minds of the characters involved. This is what makes a good story great. While listening to this episode, I couldn't help but think of that other mystery episode that Mr. McCusker penned..."The Perfect Witness." In that story, we as listeners get to experience the mystery from the perspective of a blind girl. And in "The Other Side of the Glass," we get to experience a mystery inside the mind of Wooton. After hearing this first part, I don't think it could be pulled off any other way. It's just too much fun to listen to. :)

So what sets this episode apart from, say, "Hear Me, Hear Me"? (another "fun", goofy episode with Wooton) This one somehow feels less childish. The former had way too much immature humor, bouncy music, and "inconsistent" characters. This episode, despite its unconventional plot, somehow feels appropriate for AIO. It's as if Mr. McCusker revisited the crazy concepts in the "rejected episode ideas list" on AIOHQ and found something that could be successfully pulled off now that we have such an "off-the-wall" character like Wooton. Does it work? I think so. The characters are themselves, the humor is well-placed, and overall, the episode contains that unique eccentricity that has made AIO special.

As I mentioned earlier, much of the fun of this episode is hearing the story from the mind of Wooton. Nearly every line he delivers is pure comedic gold, and the ones that aren't comedic contribute to the story and drive the episode along. To be honest, if there were ever a mystery episode with Wooton as a main player, it would have to involve something like this. I just can't see Wooton in an episode like "The Case of the Secret Room," but a mystery about symbols on windows? It's so perfect for him. :D You can tell that Paul had a lot of fun writing this - just listen to Wooton and Connie's exchange at the end about "a lot of really's." Sound familiar? (Hint: Listen to Part 2 of "Waylaid in the Windy City.") Bernard is enjoyable as well - if there was ever a fun pair of characters in Odyssey to listen to besides him and Eugene or Eugene and Connie, it would be Bernard and Wooton. The last time we heard them together was in "Bassett Hounds," and the interaction between them in this episode doesn't fail to disappoint. Speaking of Bernard, I absolutely loved that first scene. Just listen to his humming and collecting the cleaning supplies before he talks to Madge - the sound quality is top-notch. We know it's Bernard before he even speaks with another character.

Of course, there were some aspects of this episode that weren't quite up to par. There were moments when I felt like Bernard could have delivered more memorable lines, but maybe a lot of them are being saved for the next two parts. Whit's line to Connie during the search engine scene, "What makes you such an expert?" seemed a bit uncharacteristic, but it didn't really detract from the scene (and ended up reinforcing what a bunch of listeners were probably thinking anyway ;)). I can't really judge or rate this episode completely until I hear the next two parts, but I'm loving what I hear so far. The "fun" feel of the story works so well. This is the only other comedic three-parter besides "Aloha, Oy!" and while it may not be quite as memorable as that episode thus far, and although the plot may be extremely unconventional for AIO, it still feels like classic AIO.

Hats off to Mr. McCusker - I'm eagerly awaiting the next two parts. :D
I'm gonna have to agree, for the most part.

It was bouncy, and silly, yes. But consistent, and the diologue was simply so darn well written. Like, I actually laughed, more than once. And that's why I like Paul McCusker so much, because he's a clever man.

Honestly, so many memorable quotes in this one.

I'm waiting for the plot to "thicken" more, however. But, with two more parters, I 'm sure that promise will be delivered.

Good Show. Though, I'm sure I wouldv'e enjoyed this episode a whole lot more, if the rest of this season hadn't been so bouncy and silly.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I gave it a 4, just because I can't wait for more, or the next episode. THey left me hanging, and the apparent 11 reallys is scary, considering, someone said this, Waylaid in the Windy City part 2.
Well, that's all I'll say, but I still wonder about some things, but maybe they will be cleared up next two episodes.
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

I feel a plot coming on \:D/!
I shall await the future parts before casting total judgement.
But, I will say this. It was a good episode.
Not because of plot or music, but because of Wooton.
His off the wall nature and overall zanyness is what makes him loveable.
The spray-on-the-window thingie was unrealistic at worst and feasibly plausible in some weird way at best.

Let's await the adventure :].
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

:-s Ummm....wow. How exactly am I supposed to rank this? Definitely one of the weirder AIO episodes. This totally felt like a kids show. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the premise for this story was really lame. And the entire episode carried the same cheesy feel. The scene with Bernard and Wooten first "discovering" the logo played out exactly how I had predicted. The stress attacks were really unnecessary and dumb. It seemed unrealistic how everyone (even Whit and Connie) took the whole "mystery" so seriously. In fact, the entire episode was just as lame as I was expecting it to be. Which is why I'm completely baffled by the fact that......

I liked it.

I can't totally explain it, but for some odd reason I didn't care that it was dumb. I enjoyed it. It was a light-hearted, fun-to-listen-to episode. And as I listened, it felt like I was listening to Adventures in Odyssey for the first time in years. Like Trinarius said, it felt classic. And it had nothing to do with any expectations from Paul McCusker, because I had completely forgotten he'd written it until afterward. It was just a good, solid episode, and I'm excited to hear what happens next.

That said, it still feels way too bizarre to give it a rating. So, I'll think about that one, and maybe wait to vote on this until the other two episodes are aired.
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

After The Other Side of the Glass I, I’m still in wait-and-see mode. Stuff happened, but I don’t feel fulfilled. This whole episode reminded me of the first chunk of Sounds Like a Mystery, in which the mystery is solved on the surface level at first (Rodney). Though I can’t recall how that episode ended, there was something more serious to be resolved. That’s what I think we’ll get in parts 2 and 3.

It’s funny that Agentpaw mentioned that this episode left him on a large cliffhanger, because I was wondering Thursday night why there was no interesting cliffhanger (not that it’s a requirement). I’m waiting, but not with bated breath.

Like Noname and Marisol, I enjoyed the throwback to Richard’s 7 maybes in Waylaid.

The unconventional plot didn’t bother me since the writing made it real. I’m going to wait until I hear all 3 parts to rate this, but it sits averagely right now.

Edit: Just listened to Waylaid and it was 6 maybes, not 7! :x
Last edited by Taq on Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

This is just a wild stab in the Dark, but I'm sure as this mystery continues Bernard may turn on Wooten ask why he's so certain it's someone asking for help. As has been subtly mentioned throughout the series Wooten draws the Powerboy comics.
Agentpaw
Eh, whats up doc?

Post by Agentpaw »

Itaque wrote:It’s funny that Agentpaw mentioned that this episode left him on a large cliffhanger, because I was wondering Thursday night why there was no interesting cliffhanger (not that it’s a requirement). I’m waiting, but not with bated breath.
Well, I guess not quite on bated breath... but I am excited to hear what happens next. :)

*starts having trouble breathing* Oh no, bated breath! *cough, cough* *gag* Help!

Just kidding. ;)
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

4 stars. I found that this episode was a little too silly but the only reasons I gave it 4 stars becase two of Odyssey's funniest charactors were paired up together. Otherwise, as Skid stated, it seemed a little too silly and un-Odyssey-ish (w00t, awesome new word).
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Well this is my first review on this board, so here goes.........

Ok, this was a strange show. Very strange. So strange in fact, that I was scratching my head afterward saying to myself "what was that all about?" It was funny, yes with Bernard and Wooton (my two favorite characters) but strange none the less. And I also thought it was a bit wierd that Whit and Connie were taking it so seriously too. It just doesn't seem like something Whit would normally do. But maybe that was just me. Anyway, I too am going to wait for the next two episodes before i rate it, because maybe there is something sinister behind the window cleaner/power boy symbol/glass company mystery. So with that said, I WOULD give it 2 stars without having heard the other two, but like I said, I am going to wait to 'officially' rate it!
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Meo
Fourscore and seven

Post by Meo »

When did connie get computer skills last i heard she stunk at computers or at lease know the basic stuff when she was a assinant to margret fey.
WatchaCall
Animatronic

Post by WatchaCall »

Wonder what was the whiffle bat incident? Surgery was required. :-k
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

I don't think it takes that many computer skills to search for things on a search engine.