564: "A Most Intriguing Question"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of "A Most Intriguing Question"

5 Stars - Well duh, what else would I give it?
72%
4 Stars - Almost perfect but it was missing something
20%
3 Stars - Pretty Good!
5%
2 Stars - Nothing stood out (Did I mention I'm deaf?)
2%
1 Star - I am no longer an Odyssey fan
2%

Total votes: 61

Shadowpaw
Town Founder

564: "A Most Intriguing Question"

Post by Shadowpaw »

Sorry about the warning... you will thank me however if you hear the episode before you read any one's thoughts or reviews. Please post them in this thread after you have heard the episode. But again, please do not read if you have not heard the episode... and please do not spoil other people's enjoyment of the show ahead of time by private messaging them or posting hints in other threads. Please keep all spoilers inside here.

Enjoy!
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

I listened to the episode this morning when I lay on my bed in my residence hall here at PCC. It was definitely an episode that kept me on the edge of my seat. Fortunately PCC broadcasts WPCS (a nationwide chain of radio stations) from the campus and I could hear it. It was superbly done, though I'm having a hard time wondering why Mr. Whittaker was so trusting of the NIA guy. You would think that he would check his sources and research on the guy before trusting him. Nonetheless, let's hope it really IS Eugene's return. I could just tell it was he who sat in the back seat of Whit's car the whole time.
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
StupendousMan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by StupendousMan »

Darnit, oneplace dosen't even have the episode up, me want a listen :(
crosskritters
Fourscore and seven

Post by crosskritters »

I think that it was a little drawn out, and too much of the show was in the commercial. That kinda ruined it for me. I think it was a good show, but I think it got so much attention before hand that I was kinda expecting a little more.

Batteries not Included.

--Kat
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

I gave it 5 stars. It was worth the hype. Is it really eugene or is it using lines from past shows ? I guess we will find out. All the lines from the previews were like used. Does it have anything to do with post Nova com stuff ? mentioning Eugene's research and technology. We were guessing along and what will happen next. Great ep and I cant wait to the next 2 eps to see what is going on.
StupendousMan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by StupendousMan »

Yeah you don't really "hear" Eugenes voice, but then you do, is it a cut and paste job? We'll find out 2nd part :D
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

It was a funny show that was very intresting and had the maybe return of Eugene. It was just perfect 5 stars.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

StupendousMan wrote:Yeah you don't really "hear" Eugenes voice, but then you do, is it a cut and paste job? We'll find out 2nd part :D
I don't think so. I've heard each and every Eugene ep up to this point, and can never recall his saying "Nocturnal Falicitations".

-Jonathan

edit-I forgot to post my review #-o :

5/5 stars

And do I really need to say why?

Well, no, but I'm going to anyway. Eugene Meltsner, the beloved character missing for several years, has returned.

But that's not the only reason I'm giving it a perfect rating. The acting, and writing, were terrific. Paul McCusker is still a great writer for the show. Tom and Bernard made a great team. Connie acting on her 'curiousity' as only she can also worked beautifully. Paul Herlinger also gave a great performance.

Which brings me to Whit. Something isn't right here. He was acting very odd, and Eugene didn't sound right either. I expect the reason for this to be revealed next week.

Classic Odyssey is back. Wonderful job AIO.

-Jonathan
StupendousMan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by StupendousMan »

Yes this was definetly one of the more classic odyssey episodes that I've heard for awhile.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I just wonder how Eugene went crazy or lost his memory. Maybe Novacom got him and did something or Eugene was trying to build it form the plans he had on the disk he sent to Jason.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

My mom got up and listened to it with me this morning. After the show, she blurted out what she thinks is happening... I can't say that she's right but she does have a pretty good track record at guessing. While I was totally puzzled, she immediately concluded that Eugene is back but he's lost his memory so Whit is trying to help him recover it. There. We'll see if it pans out. :lol: Image
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

That sounded just like Katrina to me. I heard it now 5 x. So I am sure eugene and Katrina are back, and we will hear a lot more lines from eugene, and not just cut and paste.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I only heard the show once so far but at the time I heard the "Katrina" voice I was positive that was NOT Pamela Hayden. But if Eugene's back, it would make sense for Katrina to be there too. Especially if Eugene's having any problems Katrina might need to take care of him. So maybe they couldn't get Pamela to do Katrina. If so then they might have found a different actress.
Here I am blathering away and I haven't even given a review! :oops:
The way Connie, Bernard, and Tom went about things was funny. :lol: I was most surprised at the way they just confronted the government agent like that... I guess the denizens of Odyssey are so used to agents they get a little goofy when they see them.
Connie was her usual self with the way she went snooping around Whit's End but Bernard and Tom seemed unlikely accomplices. I can't quite figure out how they managed to disturb the cameras. "Whit, I'm going to dust the tunnel now!" :lol: I'm sure Bernard would find lots of windows in there to wash. Or even trash cans to empty. Beyond that, wouldn't Whit notice if some of his cameras were malfunctioning? Considering his top secret project it would seem that Whit would be a little more cautious.
When Bernard and Connie saw the burgler alarm go off (why triggered it?) they concluded that Whit was inside. But both seemed to rather easily conclude that Whit was nowhere in the building when they looked at the Imagination Station. Why?
So are Eugene and Katrina staying in a secluded cabin up in the mountains? Does Whit pick up Eugene at night for experimentation and then drive him back "home" at dawn? How does all of this tie in with Eugene's research? Why are Jason, Jack, and Joanne so conveniently out of town?
So many questions...
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

Classic. Finally AIO has returned.

Not the return of 'Eugene' alone. It's the writing of PM (who hadn't written since ep 502 and really since ep 477) and Bernard, Tom etc.... No sign of Wooten helped as well.

I just hope it's Will Ryan....The ep's will lack that special something if it's another "herlinger" (but still should be ok)

Look at aiohq.com... upcoming episode Two men and a truck.

I think Eugene has lost his memory and all the computers will fail, but a trip with Bernard in the truck will rekindle the memories...just a hunch - if I'm right, I'll make a proud 'I told you so'.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I'm listening finally....I will post what I think later! :D
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

My official rating would be 4.5 stars outta 5. However since that wasn't an option I voted for 4 stars.

It was interesting, but I dunno........maybe it's just been too long since I've heard AIO or something, but it seems that it could have been better.

It was kinda cool to hear the "flashbacks" to things like "Connie Comes to Town" and other old eps. with Connie and Tom.

Whit seemed a little too secrative, but maybe that's just my oppinion.

Hopefully I'll be listening more regularly now

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

I don't think it's a "Herlinger" or an "Exit". I suppose it might be possible to actually pull an Exit in a main-appearance character on a three-parter, but... computers can do surprising stuff. Eugene/WR has a pretty unique voice, though.
I rated it 4 stars, and a few pounds of laughter at Bernard's comments. Heh. There isn't much to draw upon in the first part as far as plot-direction predictions, though... or at least I think so.

Also, I simul-posted--Flyah's explanation (Eugene losing memory) sounds reasonable, but still only time will tell.
Last edited by Sonuna on Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

gimp80995 wrote:Whit seemed a little too secrative, but maybe that's just my oppinion.
Maybe Whit didn't have a choice and had to hide the fact that he was working with Eugene. No one else seems to know that Eugene and Katrina are back...
Flyah wrote:Not the return of 'Eugene' alone. It's the writing of PM (who hadn't written since ep 502 and really since ep 477) and Bernard, Tom etc.... No sign of Wooten helped as well.
I'm not an avowed Wooton hater or anything but I have to agree that I'm glad he wasn't in this show.
Flyah wrote:I just hope it's Will Ryan....The ep's will lack that special something if it's another "herlinger" (but still should be ok)
That brings up another question. Will Ryan wasn't credited at the end of the episode but an Audrey something-or-other was. Who is that? All the other characters should be accounted for.
Whit—Paul Herlinger
Connie—Katie Leigh
Tom—Walker Edmiston
Bernard—Dave Madden
William Foster—Matt Hurwitz
Who is left? :?
Flyah wrote:Look at aiohq.com... upcoming episode Two men and a truck.

I think Eugene has lost his memory and all the computers will fail, but a trip with Bernard in the truck will rekindle the memories...just a hunch - if I'm right, I'll make a proud 'I told you so'.
Now THAT'S an interesting theory! :lol:
serrebi
29K to go!

Post by serrebi »

I just finished listening, and here are my thoughts. Please bare with me, my spelling sucks! :D First off the epp itself was very well written like others have said, when Bernard first mentioned seeing someone in the back of whit's car, I immediately thought Malachi. Obviusly, I was wrong. Now to jump around a little, in the epp preview at the end, everyone is crying. The first thing that imediately went into my mind was a death, but you guys are speculating that Eugene lost all his memories, which makes more sence, and could I couldn't bare to see Eugene dead! I just startid liking his character!
I'mvery excited to see how this all will pan out. There was talk of Eugene using his research. If I remember correctly, his was turning Brainwaves into RadioWaves, correct?

Well there's my somehwat garbled thoughts! :D
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eugene might be coming back! I'm SO excited. This next week will be very hard! :D