629: The Highest Stakes - Part II

Post your reviews! ^^

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How many stars do you rate this episode?

54%
36%
7%
4%
No votes

Total votes: 28

Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Jonathan wrote:
And according to Wooton, only some people need God's help in order to "change" even!
Where was that in the ep?
At around the 12:15 mark, Wooton says:
I mean, changing is hard, and for some people it's not even possible... without the right kinda help.
Trent DeWhite wrote:Second, since when did the term "salvation" need to be explicitly mentioned in order to explain why we need God?
I didn't mean that the term "salvation" needed to be mentioned, but the concept wasn't even discussed!

Show me where it was explained "why we need God" in this episode? Besides to help us "change our lives" (which is not the reason why we need Him!).
Trent DeWhite wrote:Oh, that's right. We don't need forgiveness. #-o It's not like Chris' wrap-up meant anything... why was Carson even in the episode anyway??? ](*,)
Chris did not say one single word about why we need to be forgiven.

Neither did the rest of the episode.

Jeremy
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:First, the focus of this episode was not on Grady's salvation... while that was certainly a major highlight of the show, the moral of the story was about the concept of forgiveness.
Why do we need to be forgiven? Tell me from the episode.
Oh, that's right. We don't need forgiveness. #-o It's not like Chris' wrap-up meant anything... why was Carson even in the episode anyway??? ](*,)
There's a certain word that Jonathan, Jeremy and I are trying to get you to acknowledge. It's called sin. You know, it's that thing we do that separates us from God and would cause us to end up in Hell on Judgment Day if not for the blood of Christ. Jesus talked about sin and Hell a lot more than he talked about Heaven. Salvation is not a big fancy theological word at all. It is what it is. Christ died to save us from our eternal punishment in Hell. That's what the show tends to gloss over.

We're not trying to say that the show oversimplifies salvation, but that it confuses it. I'm not trying to throw any stones at the writers or anything, I just want to bring it to people's attention. AiO is simply a small reflection of a problem that's invaded most modern evangelism; people don't want to mention death and judgment because it makes people feel bad. But if we don't tell them what they're supposed to be saved from then they won't see any need for Jesus. Christianity simply becomes another religion. It's like giving someone a cure for a disease without telling them first that they have a disease. They won't see any need for the cure. You'd be surprised how many people I've talked to who have gone to good Bible-believing churches their whole lives and have absolutely no clue why Jesus came to earth and died on the cross.
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

*Clears throat*

I would like to say that I liked this episode. At first I wasn't sure I was thrilled with the fact that Grady's dad was going to come home, but then I realized that it showed very well how important showing forgiveness is, and how much it can affect another person. It was also great how they showed Grady's major change in attitude when he became a Christian; the way he suddenly had a forgiving spirit toward his father, not all angry like he was at the beginning.
Yes, things did move a little fast, but I do tend to get impatient when they drag stories out, so I was mostly ok with the quick ending.

I give it a 4.

Ya'll may now proceed with your discussion. ;)
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

I was a little bothered by the lack of sin acknowledgment/confession in this episode, but haven't they already discussed this with Grady in previous episodes? I think by now he probably already knows what to do.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Elrohir wrote:AiO is simply a small reflection of a problem that's invaded most modern evangelism; people don't want to mention death and judgment because it makes people feel bad.
What about Promises, Promises? The Mortal Coil? A Worker Approved?

I'm not going to deny the importance of acknowledging our sinful nature. I think Odyssey has touched upon that aspect of salvation, but perhaps not as often as some would have preferred. I guess what I'm trying to articulate is that I think the chief purpose of Adventures in Odyssey is to point people towards God. You're right, though. In our politically correct world, it's easy for Christians to shy away from mentioning our sin because it comes across as condemning.

My perspective (and I do hope you realize it's just my opinion) is that Odyssey is essentially a stepping stone towards God. It's not designed to replace the pastor's role... which is why Chris always suggests that we talk to our pastor or (presumably Christian) parents about the issues raised. Yes, Odyssey could perhaps be more overt in their discussion about sin and salvation. However, I don't think it was necessarily in this particular episode due to the overriding theme of forgiveness through the character of Carson McKay.

I hope that helps. :)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Jeremy wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
And according to Wooton, only some people need God's help in order to "change" even!
I mean, changing is hard, and for some people it's not even possible... without the right kinda help.
Trent DeWhite wrote:Second, since when did the term "salvation" need to be explicitly mentioned in order to explain why we need God?
I didn't mean that the term "salvation" needed to be mentioned, but the concept wasn't even discussed!

Show me where it was explained "why we need God" in this episode? Besides to help us "change our lives" (which is not the reason why we need Him!).
Trent DeWhite wrote:Oh, that's right. We don't need forgiveness. #-o It's not like Chris' wrap-up meant anything... why was Carson even in the episode anyway??? ](*,)

Jeremy
This might jsut be me - but I was under the impression that Wooton was talking about kicking the gambling habit - not becoming a Christian. If my understanding is correct, then Wooton said nothing wrong. Some people CAN break addiction while not being a believer. It's hard and rare, but possible. Most people DO need God's help to break a habit - which I believe is what Wooton was saying. I highly doubt they would say that some people can change themselves in reference to salvation. I hope that clarifies for you. :)
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Samitude wrote:I was a little bothered by the lack of sin acknowledgment/confession in this episode, but haven't they already discussed this with Grady in previous episodes? I think by now he probably already knows what to do.
I believe you're right, but again it wasn't made clear.
Trent DeWhite wrote:
Elrohir wrote:AiO is simply a small reflection of a problem that's invaded most modern evangelism; people don't want to mention death and judgment because it makes people feel bad.
What about Promises, Promises? The Mortal Coil? A Worker Approved?

I'm not going to deny the importance of acknowledging our sinful nature. I think Odyssey has touched upon that aspect of salvation, but perhaps not as often as some would have preferred. I guess what I'm trying to articulate is that I think the chief purpose of Adventures in Odyssey is to point people towards God. You're right, though. In our politically correct world, it's easy for Christians to shy away from mentioning our sin because it comes across as condemning.

My perspective (and I do hope you realize it's just my opinion) is that Odyssey is essentially a stepping stone towards God. It's not designed to replace the pastor's role... which is why Chris always suggests that we talk to our pastor or (presumably Christian) parents about the issues raised. Yes, Odyssey could perhaps be more overt in their discussion about sin and salvation. However, I don't think it was necessarily in this particular episode due to the overriding theme of forgiveness through the character of Carson McKay.

I hope that helps. :)
I agree. Sometimes they do a good job, like the episodes you mentioned, sometimes they don't. I really just wanted to bring it to people's attention.
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

Jonathan wrote:
Elrohir wrote:My only complaint, and one of my few complaints about AiO, is that when it comes to salvation the vital subject of sin separating us from God is often glossed over. There is also an over emphasis on saying a special prayer to be saved. Just from listening to the show it is unclear what needs to be done to be saved. Sometime they say to pray a prayer, sometime they say to "make Jesus Lord"(seriously, what does that mean exactly?) and usually it's ask Jesus into your heart. The Bible never says anything about asking Jesus into you heart when it comes to salvation. What it does say is to believe in Him. See: John 3:16
I'll second that.

Aside from that complaint, there wasn't anything I didn't like about this ep, and was excited to review it--but I listened to both parts like 5 days ago, and forgot what I was going to say. I enjoyed it though.
I have to "third" that . . . :P
Need a nice signature/avatar set? Take a look at my shop! :)
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Lucy is my twin Laura Ingalls = l33t ~*Robin Baggins/Respectahobbit*~
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

It should of had a happy like ending. #-o

Check out my newspaper To0 Star
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Rodenyrathbone wrote:It should of had a happy like ending. #-o
I thought it had a pretty happy ending. :-s
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Pseudonym wrote:
Rodenyrathbone wrote:It should of had a happy like ending. #-o
I thought it had a pretty happy ending. :-s
ditto
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Maybe he meant a perfect ending--b/c the ending was happy.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

The first three parter of this season, the 2 parter dealing with Mandy, and this one were absolutely terrific and well written episodes, Odyssey. (Much too lazy to find out the titles)

I haven't written on these boards in a while, but it's funny that Odyssey has produced such good stories this season, and I'm not even around to offer my "thumbs up" ti them...compared to previous seasons where I took the liberty to criticize them.

Its interesting how all three of these "multi-parters" episodes had such unique themes not previously seen on Odyssey. Yet, there is a recurring theme (and one that has been going for the past few seasons, actually): Broken Families. What with the two-parter about the Washingtons taking in that girl with an abusive mother, and Eugene's father having to take in a son he never wanted...what is going on?

It seems to me that Odyssey used to focus more on "Sister hurt Brother's feelings". Not anymore. These are some pretty heavy issues being dealt with (abortion, divorce, abuse, gambling). And yet, they have been dealt with in the best way possible.

I tend to say that Odyssey has "dumbed-down"...(and sometimes here and there I still tend to think that)...but these shows have been quite stimulating for me. I've stopped collecting Albums mainly due to that reason (and the fact that I'm in University which costs a fortune), but seeing how these "mini-sagas" turned out, I'm tempted to save up to buy the last four albums.

Any feedback would be great, however.

Again, good work, guys. Hopefully the season finale will interest me as well.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
oy_mate
Tallying up

Post by oy_mate »

I'll be honest, I didn't quite know what to think about that line from Wooten. What does he mean by the right kind of help?

My biggest complaint about The Highest Stakes was Grady's mother! I found her to be a little on the unrealistic side. Me and my friend were both laughingly agreeing that if our mothers found our closets to be a mess, (or more specifically!) if they found dirty dishes in there, they'd pretty much have our heads. For someone who doesn't know the Lord, and is struggling in life (estranged from husband, financial troubles, raising 2 kids by herself) she seemed pretty calm and cool. :P
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

Lucy Pevensie wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Elrohir wrote:My only complaint, and one of my few complaints about AiO, is that when it comes to salvation the vital subject of sin separating us from God is often glossed over. There is also an over emphasis on saying a special prayer to be saved. Just from listening to the show it is unclear what needs to be done to be saved. Sometime they say to pray a prayer, sometime they say to "make Jesus Lord"(seriously, what does that mean exactly?) and usually it's ask Jesus into your heart. The Bible never says anything about asking Jesus into you heart when it comes to salvation. What it does say is to believe in Him. See: John 3:16
I'll second that.

Aside from that complaint, there wasn't anything I didn't like about this ep, and was excited to review it--but I listened to both parts like 5 days ago, and forgot what I was going to say. I enjoyed it though.
I have to "third" that . . . :P
I "fourth" that......
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I was expecting the prospective buyer of the Power Boy drawing to be Wooton, but I was pleasantly surprised it was Whit. But did Whit pay the debt or not? I thought “no” at first since Carson left the hotel right away, and Carson and Whit were supposed to meet and pay the guys together the next day. Now I’m thinking “yes” because Carson returned to Odyssey and could have met the guys with Whit later that day. Plus, he did leave the Power Boy drawing and a remorseful note, indicating that Carson might choose more positive actions.

In the last scene with Mrs. McKay on the phone with her husband Mr. McKay, I had a flashback to Cindy on the phone with her dad William in Call Me if You Care. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same actress, and those scenes are definitely analogous.

AIO should stimulate conversation between parent and child. Like A New Era might have prompted some questions about abortion, The Highest Stakes might prompt children to ask their parents about salvation and gambling and forgiveness in general. I agree that explicit dialogue on the gospel would have been nice, and it would have fit with the forgiveness theme, too: Wooton forgives Carson and Grady, Christie starts for forgive her husband, Grady forgives his dad, and God forgives us for our sins. Wooton is a simple guy, and a simple explanation of the gospel would have helped. Anyways, kids can still go to their trusted parents and pastors.

For the record, the history episode Amazing Grace also addressed salvation. John Newton told his future wife Mary, “I put my faith in Jesus that he died for my sins.” In the wrap-up, Chris also mentioned the cross and 1 Peter 2:24.

We have gotten a lot of major storyline progression this fall—first Leonard Meltsner, then the Straussbergs, now the McKays, and prospectively Connie’s book. Yeah, seems like a lot of action, but it’s exciting! And we have to make way for the fabled Album 50. This is my favorite season in recent AIO history.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

JesusFreak777 wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

Jeremy
This might jsut be me - but I was under the impression that Wooton was talking about kicking the gambling habit - not becoming a Christian. If my understanding is correct, then Wooton said nothing wrong. Some people CAN break addiction while not being a believer. It's hard and rare, but possible. Most people DO need God's help to break a habit - which I believe is what Wooton was saying. I highly doubt they would say that some people can change themselves in reference to salvation. I hope that clarifies for you. :)
Actually, he was talking to Grady about changing your life and becoming a better person--not about addiction.

My point was that the reason they gave for becoming a Christian was because you need Jesus to "help you change your life." But Wooton even implied that some people don't need help changing their own lives. So one would be left with the impression that those people don't even need to become Christians for any reason!

Jeremy
Ruth
Not as new

Post by Ruth »

I liked this episode (or episodes actually) a lot, it was just really predictable.
Ruth 4 Jesus
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

I express similar sentiments to those posted by the user above me. :D Well, I Thought this Episode was great.....and Not to be rude but I think Everyone is over analyzing everything... I especially loved the part where he thought his mom would be mad at him, and she wasn't. For not being a Christian,she was amazingly cool.
Last edited by Candy on Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image