635: Accidental Dilemma, Part 2

Reviews!

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How many stars do you give this episode?

5 stars: Most excellent!
47%
4 stars: Very good.
39%
3 stars: Average, just average.
14%
2 stars: Well, I don't know..
No votes
1 star: *shudder* :(
No votes

Total votes: 49

JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Connie already knew Jason was alive. Tasha didn't if I understood it correctly. :)
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
aiofan_19
Found

Post by aiofan_19 »

No, neither one knew yet. Later, when Whit and Jason are talking @ the end...Jason says something to the effect that Connie is a smart girl and will figure it out. AND Jason said that Tasha would figure it out soon enough. That's why he said that he would continually move and stuff. So he wouldn't have to go under protection through the agency. He and Whit planned it all!
Wild Horses Can't Keep Me Away from the Town of Odyssey!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

aiofan_19 wrote:No, neither one knew yet. Later, when Whit and Jason are talking @ the end...Jason says something to the effect that Connie is a smart girl and will figure it out. AND Jason said that Tasha would figure it out soon enough. That's why he said that he would continually move and stuff. So he wouldn't have to go under protection through the agency. He and Whit planned it all!
Actually, Tasha was the smart girl who would figure it out. Jason made it pretty clear that Connie had been in on it at that point: "Thank Connie for all her help. Are you sure she won't tell anyone the truth?"
Robyn Jacobs
I'm not Gabe

Post by Robyn Jacobs »

I just got Album 50 as an Easter gift, and have now listend to this episode about 10 times. It was very reminiscent of "A Name, Not a Number", and that is one of my all time favorites.

Like many of you, I was extremely relieved that Jason was not dead. I think he is a great balance of the mysterious and resourceful Whit, but with a little bit of a wreckless side.

Loved the story line and how it kept you guessing until the end. The UAIO podcast review of the show was very entertaining as well. =D>
FriendlyFangirl88
Not as new

Post by FriendlyFangirl88 »

Okay, so let me begin by saying that I've been away from AIO for several years...again. I got a ride from my dad in an emergency and he, an on-again off-again fan like myself, told me that Jason faked his death. Well, he wasn't clear on who knew what about it so all I could think was "poor Connie!" he told me Whit knew though.

So then I listened to the episode online.

I should say anything I have to say about part 1 over in that thread, but I don't really have much to say there, so I can just start with what I noticed in the "previously on" trailer for part 2.

Jason still loves Tasha. In part one, I heard his lines as a sort-of overview of what was happening. It wasn't until the "previously on..." that I realized it. His voice when he says hello to her...I know that voice. I've heard it on every show where a character meets someone they love and can't be with. Heck, I've gone so far as to use it myself under the same circumstances. The reserved, but appreciative voice we never hear him use with anyone else. Or, at least, I don't think we have. Someone who knows Jason better please confirm/deny this! His performance in the scenes with Tasha throughout reminded me vaguely of James Marsters' performances in two of my favorite series (Buffy and Torchwood). Very subtle, very effective for a hopeless romantic like me. The love doomed by a difference in faith.

I agree with everyone who said that everything with Grady and his father should have had more resolution. I'm not familiar with that story arc, but it seems like a disappointing way to end it.

Now...*the* scene. You all know the one. I'd had to described to me already so I knew everything that was going to happen. I was still affected by it. The calmness, I know, was because it was a plan. It raised a question that I want answers to...is there anything, anything in the world, for which "the collateral damage of myself, my father and my friends is worth it." for real? He claims it, a line we all recognized as out of character for him...but are there any circumstances any of you could've believed that he would be willing to make that sacrifice under? This is something I want to discuss pretty badly...so please PM me if you have any thoughts on the matter.

One more thing about this episode before I have to wrap it up...one line in this episode gave me chills like almost nothing AIO has ever done before. When Whit said "My son is dead, the program is destroyed, and I have the gun". I paused the episode...and had to reflect. Because I heard a subtle threat there. Anger. Now, Whit is, as a character, an amazing actor (Kids Radio episodes proved that for years way back when) and this was a realistic way to behave in light of the false circumstances. His words reminded me in no small part of the Doctor from the Doctor Who episode "the Doctor's Daughter" when he threatens the man who killed his daughter with a gun than informs him "...I never would." I felt, in that moment, that Whit's line had echos of the "I never would" sentiment. Now my question is...how much of that was false? Sure, Jason was alive...but the Whisperer was responsible, directly, for Whit loosing his son in another way for who knows how long. That underplayed anger...in that one line...I think it was real.

I had some stuff to say about the last scene but I'm not all that coherent at the moment so I don't remember it.

Suffice it to say...I think there was a lot of subtly going on in this episode...and a nice callback to who we all know Jason will always be deep down.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Those are very good observations, FFG.

Personally, I don't mind this episode. I mean, sure, I thought it was kind of an odd way to write Jason out, but it was still a pretty good ep.

Now that I think about it, though, I do indeed agree that Whit's line about Jason, Applesauce, and the gun had angry, threatening undertones, but I think we all know he wouldn't have pulled the trigger. He knew that his plan would most likely work--and even if it didn't, this is Whit we're talking about. I doubt he would have done something like that.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

It was Excellent, Superb, Awesome, Amazing ...
:bounce: