637: The Forgotten Deed

Reviews.

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How many of them stars?

5 Stars: Yay!
66%
4 Stars: Very good.
21%
3 Stars: Good.
14%
2 Stars: Somewhat lacking.
No votes
1 Star: Yeah, whatever.
No votes

Total votes: 29

J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

637: The Forgotten Deed

Post by J-man »

Review Episode 637: The Forgotten Deed. \:D/
Last edited by J-man on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
...I hate marquees.
JD
Cheese Wiz Rules
Cheese Wiz Rules
Location: That white van right outside your house. Watching your every move. There's a camera behind you

Post by JD »

I loved the up beat music \:D/ and Derns interview was hilarious :hilarious: this was Great episode
Save Eugene in the character competition!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

this episode was a real goodin'! i always love it when they have Cryin Bryan Dern on the show! he's soooo funny! :rofl: i also thought it was written really well. :bouncy: i liked the end of the episode the best. =D>
InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

I like Odyssey episodes with some serious content...It was good, and I'm glad we won't have any more trouble with Whit's End being on government property! (Or at least I HOPE we won't!)
The Dern interviews were SO funny! "How would you like a squeegee shoved up your nose?" :rofl2:
I hope we have some episodes that are more kid centered in the future! O:)
JD
Cheese Wiz Rules
Cheese Wiz Rules
Location: That white van right outside your house. Watching your every move. There's a camera behind you

Post by JD »

i liked it alot one of the best SO FAR but i think the best is going to be The Triangled Web I II because the Barcleys and Curt and maybe Lucy are coming back for the best small town of the year \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Save Eugene in the character competition!
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

The episode was good. I did like it when Dern came in. "So you're against cencorship?" Connie: "Only with you, Dern" haha.

Yeah, I can't wait until The Triangled with the Barclays!! booyaa
I do what I do.
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

Now THAT'S an episode. Isn't it great when we get to hear big things happen in Odyssey?
Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

snubs wrote:this episode was a real goodin'! i always love it when they have Cryin Bryan Dern on the show! he's soooo funny! :rofl: i also thought it was written really well. :bouncy: i liked the end of the episode the best. =D>
Me too! \:D/
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Wonderful episode! Loved it! It was awesome! And I spotted a few mentions to other episodes... If only my gmail was working. Well, I do remember "The Time Has Come" certainly got a point. Then...I wanna say "The Nemesis", but that seemed not likely. DBD came to mind...

Oh! And Eugene stalling...OH YEAH! So the old Eugene. His long words and explanation. Getting nowhere...oh, so priceless! I was laughing the whole scene!!!!!

Loved the episode.

Can't wait for Tuesday now...
Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

Wow...I loved it.... particularly the end where they reiterated what the goals of Whit's End were.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

definitely one of my favorites.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

This was a great episode! Definetly five stars!

I wasn't expecting the Whit's End thing to get wrapped up so quickly. It was a great ending and a great way to solve the problem, but I was expecting some twists and turns along the way, it only lasted one and a half episodes. I can't really complain though, because we've got Whit's End back! Now the only thing left to wrap up before the hiatus is the best small town competition.

I really liked the scene where Cryin Brian Dern tryed to interview people, as the scene progressed I said "that's so Cryin Brian Dern", "that's so Eugene", "that's so Connie", and "that's so Bernard". All of those lines matched their characters perfectly.

When they all came back to Whit's End on the last night I almost cried, first it reminded me of the scene where Eugene became a christian, but also it was just really cool to be able to look back on twenty years of Adventure in Odyssey, Whit's End is near and dear to all of our hearts and it was really cool to have that. I also loved Bernards line when they were all trying to listen to the silence.

At the very beginning whit said "...particularly the new imagination station." NEW IMAGINATION STATION, they totally rebuilt the machine that's very important to the whole series and they just mentioned it once and that was it! I could hardly believe it.

Also with the Whit's End and the land around it thing, it's one of the most famous Odyssey goofs and basiclly they settled it by reitterating one side of it which makes the recollections line of "...The Fillmoore Recreation Center and the land around it belongs to John Avery Whittaker" (I'm not sure that that's actually the quote verbatim) the goof and the Phillip Glossman line in DBD that said that he only owned the building and not the land around it the truth. But siding this way makes for another goof, In Love is in the Air Connie is washing off the slide on the playground behind Whit's End, why would she be washing government property. I guess we won't have to worry about it anymore though because it's officially solved.

Also on that subject, why couldn't they glorify God in Whit's End? Sure, it's on city-owned land, but Whit owns the building and that's where they glorify God. If everything done in Whit's End was considered to be done on government property, why would he have even bought the building.

I know this is really long, so I'll try to wrap it up, but just one more thing, Now Whit own's all of McCalister Park. In A Capsule Comes to Town we find out that the capsule is buried under the oak tree with the carving on it, which is in McCalister park, than we find out that that tree is in the middle of the parking lot of Finneman's Market. So appearently,Finneman's Market is in McCalister park and Whit owns it. He also owns the lake in McCalister park that is mentioned in A Case of Revenge and all of the benches and sidewalks. According to the Town of Odyssey, Harlequin Theatre is also in McCalister park, which would mean Whit would own that too, but I don't have any evidense of it so I'm not sure.

Overall it was a great episode and I loved it!!!
Last edited by King Butter Turtle on Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Nice use of an episode title; I wouldn't have thought of that kind of deed!

The separation of church/state issue in regards to Whit's End was resolved nicely. I liked the clarification that the phrase isn't in the Constitution, but the courts are interpreting it that way these days.

Nice use of Dern and Faye and Jack. Dern's crazy music, a great contrast to the other scenes, was kinda cool, suiting his outrageous personality. Faye reminded me of Pilate, as they were both afraid of the people. Jack's sandwich comment amidst the somber scene was priceless.

References to other episodes:
The Ill-Gotten Deed--title and Odyssey history
The Living Nativity--separation of church/state
The Undeniable Truth--Eugene needing to stall in a high pressure situation with Faye
[Eugene's Salvation Episode]--everyone just happening to stop by at a poignant moment (as the King Butter Turtle mentioned)
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

King Butter Turtle wrote:I wasn't expecting the Whit's End thing to get wrapped up so quickly.
What makes you think it HAS been wrapped up? The renovations are still under way and anything could happen. You're probably right, though, since we've got Imagination Station episodes coming up in a couple weeks.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

I suppose something else could happen but Whit's End was closed because it was condemned and now it is reopened so there's not really anything else to happen.
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

Paul McCusker did a great job with this episode! Lots of classic characters and an interesting storyline. I also appreciated the message about "separation of church and state," which isn't usually addressed by children's programs. An episode I'm really looking forward to hearing again! 4/5.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Yes! This episode is amazing! Go Whit. Anyway, I don't really have an extensive review this time, so here we go:

Good: Yes! Whit's End is back open! I love this show. Mrs. Mckalister was great. Whit was great. Cryin Bryan Dern was great. There is so much great with this show.

Bad: None. I can't think of anything.

So, anyway, this episode was great, 5 time capsules out of 5.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
EugeneManiac
Just visiting

Post by EugeneManiac »

best one yet =D> I just knew it wouldn't close cause it just can't just close :noway: . I just can't wait for the triangled web.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Yeah, I like how they fixed the thing about the land around Whit's End. For me I never really thought it was such a big goof, but it was pretty clever the way they put it into this episode. I totally wasn't expecting it.
amyinodyssey
Found

Post by amyinodyssey »

I am so happy that the land around Whit's End issue is finally resolved! Of course this morning I was thinking about the significance of how much one dollar plays on Odyssey:

- One dollar is the amount that Wooton got from his grandfather in "Bassett Hounds"
- (If I can remember correctly) One dollar is how much Rodney got for suing Whit's End in "A Victim of Circumstance"

And now one dollar is how much Whit gets to purchase the land around Whit's End for.

I did cry during this episode. There aren't many episodes I cry for. I did have a great fear that Whit's End would indeed close. Remember that part where everyone is listening to the quiet hoping they will hear the memories. If they did flash back I would have been crying more that just a few tea spoons of tears but more like a quarter of a cup!