638: The Triangled Web, Part 1

Reviews

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What was it for you?

5 Best of episodes
45%
4 A most intriging episode
34%
3 Nice radio
21%
2 Nothing signifigant
No votes
1 Its flop
No votes

Total votes: 38

Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

I loved how Jack kept saying "maybe" all the time.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Wow. I was expecting the old characters, but not a fresh love story like The Triangle. I was surprised in a very good way. I didn’t think we had a chance for romance since Wooing Wooton filled the imaginary quota.

I liked Candid Conversations as a means to catch up with Lawrence and Jared. Hearing from a mature Lawrence was neat. His voice sounded completely different, and he was a lot less hyper. The Connie/Jared phone conversation was hilarious. Jared’s nervous attitude, word choice (“monster memory eraser”), and pauses were priceless. Jared now holds a grown-up job as a CIA junior analyst in DC, but he’s still the conspiracy theorist we all know and love.

The crafting of the plot was outstanding. I liked how a later part of the episode hearkened back to the beginning scene in which Lucy walks in and stops the conversation. Whit’s one comment about Lucy looking good was appropriate and enough. The restaurant scene was also great. Lucy’s one comment about wanting more organized the rest of the show well and spawned a few funny thoughts we hear from inside the guys’ heads.

The Jimmy/Connie and Curt/Bernard conversations were funny, but the Curt/Bernard dialogue also dealt with forgiveness. The Jack/Whit dialogue was solid. I liked Whit’s role as mentor. He induced Jack to reflect by asking a question. He gave advice and let Jack make his own decision.

Does anybody here read Boundless, Focus’ webzine for young adults? This article perfectly describes Jack and Lucy’s last four years together, including Jack’s noncommittal attitude and Lucy stepping back.

Absolutely 5/5! We got connection with the past, a fresh love story, humor, clear lesson setups (the importance of marriage and forgiveness), great writing and acting, and nice musical connectives. This episode surpassed the monstrous hype. Well done, Odyssey team! I look forward to hearing part 2.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I love all the old characters in this episode! :shocking: But isn't Jared a little young for the CIA? 8-) I mean, he's only Mandy and Liz's age!(Though maybe he's on some sort of scholarship there or something :proff: ) How do you crash a flight simulator?
:borg: :robot: :virus: Like that?

Who do you think Lucy will end up with? (If she ends up with anyone!)
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

Where can I listen to this ep (and other new ones)? I thought they weren't making any new eps? Or are they just on the radio?
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Where can I listen to this ep (and other new ones)? I thought they weren't making any new eps? Or are they just on the radio?
you can go 2 oneplace.com 4 the latest AIO eps
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

Thanks. I've been doing an AIO marathon on Oneplace tonight. My dad's band is playing a restaurant until 12:30 (AM), so I've been vegging out all night.
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

I wasn't actually expecting much from this show, but I was pleasantly surprised. Well-timed humor, subtle references to previous shows (the conversation between Curt and Bernard was a highlight), and a good message about commitment in a relationship. The plot was quite basic, though. 4/5.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Samitude wrote:Hmm.....I'm guessing Lucy and Jack will get together since they were almost engaged. Maybe Jimmy and Connie will get together. They certainly have a history. Perhaps Richard will come back and take Lucy away! No.....HE NEEDS CONNIE!

By the way, is Curt supposed to be black on the show? I have mentally pictured him as white all these twenty years having never seen a photograph of him. I was very surprised to see his picture with the Official Odyssey Podcast interview and to find out he is black. There's nothing wrong with it I just wish they would have told us back then so we would know. The Washingtons obviously are by their voices so I know how to mentally picture them. The same goes for Agent Borland. His voice doesn't sound like a typical black person's so I automatically thought he was white.
A black actor can play a white character. Also, how do we know agent Borland is black?
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
Samitude wrote:Hmm.....I'm guessing Lucy and Jack will get together since they were almost engaged. Maybe Jimmy and Connie will get together. They certainly have a history. Perhaps Richard will come back and take Lucy away! No.....HE NEEDS CONNIE!

By the way, is Curt supposed to be black on the show? I have mentally pictured him as white all these twenty years having never seen a photograph of him. I was very surprised to see his picture with the Official Odyssey Podcast interview and to find out he is black. There's nothing wrong with it I just wish they would have told us back then so we would know. The Washingtons obviously are by their voices so I know how to mentally picture them. The same goes for Agent Borland. His voice doesn't sound like a typical black person's so I automatically thought he was white.
A black actor can play a white character. Also, how do we know agent Borland is black?
Or an even better question: does it matter?
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Nope.

Well, after listening to that episode I have but one thing I have to say:

JARED!!! :woo!:

Uh-huh, yep. Great episode, although I think the plot was a little predictable I don't suppose it was meant to be suspensful or anything... Mmmhmmm, Jared was classic, of course. And Laurance too. 5/5. (I'm usually pretty generous with them stars.)
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Lucy? Seriously, Lucy? ](*,)

I was so excited to hear from all the old characters (even Lucy), but when all the guys were in love with her.....ugh. The phone conversations with Connie were great. Hearing from the rest of the old cast was also great....but having all three guys in love with Lucy, not so great!
:noway:
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Jonathan wrote:

In these cases, your right, it doesn't matter.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Mable wrote:This episode is "ear candy" for longtime fans, and we've been anticipating it for a long time! I can't wait to hear the second part and review it.
I couldn't agree more with your statement. O:)

In other news, the Unofficial Podcast's review of this episode will be posted tomorrow night! \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

This episode was well done...I really enjoyed hearing all the grown up voices. Jared being in the CIA was a little confusing, as he was supposed to be Mandy's age. It's weird the way it switched from Trent being friends and hanging around Jared, Mandy, and Liz although he's younger, to suddenly Jared's older than them all and Trent's the same age as Mandy and Liz. :-

As to the story, while some may like all the romance, that sort of thing is not my cup of tea. ;) I think it's a prime example of the ridiculousness of the dating/crushes/she's so cute/does he like me? type of thinking. But I'll not go into a long-winded CCDS post on that subject at the moment. ;)
I just didn't enjoy the plot for that reason...I was rolling my eyes a lot at the different conversations.

So while it was a well-done episode, and I enjoyed the old characters coming back, I'm rating this 3/5 just because I wouldn't particularly want to listen to it over and over again. :)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
firebirdsoccergrl
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by firebirdsoccergrl »

it was rather interesting... i can't wait for the conclution
Two roads diverged in a wood,
and I- I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

Samitude wrote: By the way, is Curt supposed to be black on the show? I have mentally pictured him as white all these twenty years having never seen a photograph of him. I was very surprised to see his picture with the Official Odyssey Podcast interview and to find out he is black. There's nothing wrong with it I just wish they would have told us back then so we would know.
The same exact thing happened to me, until I saw his picture.
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

Bobby Manning wrote:
Samitude wrote: By the way, is Curt supposed to be black on the show? I have mentally pictured him as white all these twenty years having never seen a photograph of him. I was very surprised to see his picture with the Official Odyssey Podcast interview and to find out he is black. There's nothing wrong with it I just wish they would have told us back then so we would know.
The same exact thing happened to me, until I saw his picture.
Yeah same here
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I absolutely LOVED this episode. :) It was so awesome hearing the Lucy, Jimmy, Curt, and Jack again, especially after all these years. Connie's interviews with Jared and Lawrence were hilarious! Yeah, a little bit wacky, but funny all the same. I really enjoyed at the whole triangle (or rather square) between Curt, Jack, Jimmy, and Lucy. And I burst out laughing when I heard each of the guy's thoughts after Lucy's "I love you guys" statement. :lol: One thing I would've liked to hear was Lucy's thoughts on the whole situation. Hopefully we'll hear more from her in part two. Excellent episode! Five stars! \:D/
Emma Grace
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by Emma Grace »

I very much agree with Laura Ingalls.

It was wonderful to have the reunion with the characters and all but why the need of a little soap opera? In all honesty, I am a little disappointed in Odyssey. It seems to have been promoting these crushes more and more. I did like the talk that Whit gave Jack on commitment, though.

The Candid Conversations with Connie, Lawrence, and Jared were great and funny.

I would give this a 3 to 4.

An Arrow in His Hands,
Emma Grace
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Jonathan wrote:

In these cases, your right, it doesn't matter.
And, who said anything about Borland being back.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.