609: "Prequels of Love"

Episode Reviews! ::SPOILERS::

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How would you rate this episode?

5 Stars: As spectacular as Bart's life insurance policy
41%
4 Stars: As delightful as Whit's wedding proposal idea
48%
3 Stars: As good as Maude's chicken costume
7%
2 Stars: As boring as Bernard's squeegee and bucket
5%
1 Stars: As bad as Whit getting Jenny mixed up with Eloise
No votes

Total votes: 44

Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

609: "Prequels of Love"

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Discuss the show here! \:D/

As always, my review (along with Sarah's) will be included in the Unofficial Odyssey Podcast. :)

**locked until Saturday**
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

I gave it four stars. I really enjoyed this episode--it made me laugh out loud at times. I was glad to hear from Bernard--no one can deliver lines like he can . I laughed especially at the part where Bernard was making the animal noises. I laughed at Bart too--what a strange way for he and Doris to meet! But it fit them. I kind of wished I wouldn't have had to wait til the end to hear the rest of Whit's story -but that's just me.
Overall, a very funny and touching episode.
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

EvangelineWalker wrote:I gave it four stars. I really enjoyed this episode--it made me laugh out loud at times. I was glad to hear from Bernard--no one can deliver lines like he can . I laughed especially at the part where Bernard was making the animal noises. I laughed at Bart too--what a strange way for he and Doris to meet! But it fit them. I kind of wished I wouldn't have had to wait til the end to hear the rest of Whit's story -but that's just me.
Overall, a very funny and touching episode.

I AGREE WITH EVANGELINER WALKER
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I liked this episode except for one thing. The Odyssey theme music. What where they thinking? It didn't appeal to me at all. Funny episode, though and definatly worth putting aside homework to hear it (even though I should be studying for my nasty, difficult exams next week :( ) 4 stars (I don't like giving 5)
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

It was ok. I thought it was funny how Bart and Dorris met. I mean, they met at a funeral selling life insurance and trying to buy a car! :lol:

It was well done, not spectacular but defindently not awful. 4 stars all the way!
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

I thought this was great episode! The jokes, the flashbacks were all great. So were the phone calls. I give this episode 5 Stars!
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

The paramedic wins the best minor character in episode! award, highly prestigious, endorsed by J. Random Townsperson himself.

4.5/5 because I like making non-integer ratings.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

Irene Adler wrote:The paramedic wins the best minor character in episode! award, highly prestigious, endorsed by J. Random Townsperson himself.
amen! that was one of the best parts! "good, any allergies?" :D i give it 5 stars...it's one that i wouldn't mind listening to again...mulitiple times (which is almost getting sort of rare) i love that they keep bringing in the old time characters! first Joanne now Bernard and Bart (though they both had appearances last season...) and i think i heard a rumor that Jason is going to be back this season? \:D/

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

Birdpaw wrote:It was ok. I thought it was funny how Bart and Dorris met. I mean, they met at a funeral selling life insurance and trying to buy a car! :lol:

It was well done, not spectacular but defindently not awful. 4 stars all the way!
Buy the car? It looked to me like she was trying to steal it. :doubt:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

"Steal" is such a harsh term. ;) I think that she was trying to sweet-talk them into giving it to her. That's different than hot-wiring it and taking it, though it still is pretty terrible, especially at a funeral.

I really enjoyed this episode! It was funny, it has some sweet spots, and the premise itself was great! \:D/

Trent, I love your options on the poll! :lol:
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Post by Conniepaw »

"Where is the basement?"
"Upstairs."
:hilarious:

I loved this episode. Bart and Doris and Bernard and Maude always seemed like odd couples. I think it was a genius idea to tell how they met. I like how they kept Bernard's story the same as the one he told in some other episode. So any way 5 stars for this one it was great!
Arla
Popsicle kid

Post by Arla »

The entire episode was great! Although it was a strange idea to use a something drastic like a tornado to get everyone to tell their stories. It might just be me but it was odd how Marven couldn't call home at the begining, but everyone could call their wives at the end. I mean, I guess they could have used cellphones but it still seemed odd. Bart and Doris really are a perfect couple aren't they? :inlove:
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

You can download my and Sarah's review here! :D
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
anistilina
Gold Member

Post by anistilina »

i gave it four stars it had good thought to it =D>

i like most of the stories cause u can tell they took time to create a good story so i think this one cME OUT REAL WELL =D> =D> =D> GO ODYSSEY TEAM!!!!!!!!

EDIT Please avoid double posting. Thank you. ~ JF
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Another one of my 'Review while I listen' moments. Beware, as there are MASSIVE spoilers in it.

Egads, this is hilarious! I love how Maude sounds.

Heimleich manouver. :lol:

Wow, Bart was actually polite when he introduced himself to Doris. :shock:

Ha ha, Doris mentioned Avon. It's funny to me because my Mom used to be an Avon lady.

Heh heh, Bart just got struck by the love bug. :lol:
Bart and Doris really are a perfect couple aren't they?:inlove:
:hilarious:

Dude, it's young Whit and young Jack! \:D/ Awesome!

I love Whit's idea of a proposal! :)

Um, when Bart and Doris are in the diner, does anyone know what song is playing in the background? :-k

Bart and his get-rich-quick scams. :roll:

Shoot, it looks like I'm going to have to change Doris' last name in my fanfic. #-o It's Vineropole, not Miller.

Actually, that's a pretty good idea of Bernard's.

"Love is a beautiful thing."
"And even better when it's done legally." :D

Wow, way to be abrupt, Bernard. Oh well, it worked.

Dude, he got a chick's number! \:D/

AAAAHHH! She slipped! :mad:

Oh snap, he had to yell it. :hilarious: AND SHE SAID YES!

Te end's kind of sad, because while Bart and Bernard can call and talk to their wives, Whit can't do that anymore. Not until he gets to heaven, anyway.

Holy cow, did you hear Bart and Bernard in the background? :rofl:

All in all, an excellent episode. 4 stars.

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

SkidPaw wrote:
Birdpaw wrote:It was ok. I thought it was funny how Bart and Dorris met. I mean, they met at a funeral selling life insurance and trying to buy a car! :lol:

Buy the car? It looked to me like she was trying to steal it. :doubt:
:lol: My mistake! I also love the part where se says she rather be in jail with Bart than eating Cheetos by herself! :lol:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

My faith in Kathy writing romantic eps has been restored ^_^ I thought it was halirious.

The Bart/Doris story is the one I enjoyed the least. Not bad, but not great compared to the other two. Those two were made for each other.

Bernard/Maude. Man is he funny. It was great he had to take a psychiatrist test.

Whit/Jenny. Murphy's law. Reminded me of when I got asked to Sadie's; more people then I knew were in on it, and nothing went right.

"Will you marry him?" "Yes!" "Good. Now, allergies?"

I'm still laughing over that line :lol: Very good ep :)
whitetigerswt
Tallying up

Post by whitetigerswt »

i thought it was really good one of the best in a few years

Isaiah 30:21
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

"Prequels of Love" : Valentine's Day :: "Silent Night" : Christmas
Thus, I give you my thoughts on "Prequels of Love" in light of my thoughts on "Silent Night."
Itaque wrote:-"Silent Night" featured an effective and much needed (for me, anyway) lesson about self-pity. In fact, it spurred me to wrap my family's Christmas presents!
-Like others have commented, this struggle showed Whit's humanity but didn't mar his character.
-I certainly enjoyed the character and history development.
-"Silent Night", for reasons explainable and unexplainable, drew me in; thus, I award it 5/5, the first perfect score I've given.
-Like Trent noted in the Unofficial Odyssey Podcast, the theme was weakly tacked on despite the Marvin beginning and end and the Chris wrapup. "Silent Night" better conveyed the theme of selflessness by crafting the story around Whit falling into a pity party. The tornado scene wasn't emotionally charged, but I can't think of a better way to strand people in a room.
-Again, Whit didn't have it all together.
-Both shows added to the arsenal of Odyssey history via recollections of past events--great!
-Eh, I'm not as enthused about "Prequels of Love" as I once was about "Silent Night." Though the lack of theme really dragged it down for me, I really did enjoy the comedy and history.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Itaque's review reminded me of something.

A tornado in Febuary? It's pretty clear Odyssey is in a winter environment >_> But that's a small complaint, and I still liked it ^_^