422: Passages: Fletcher’s Rebellion, Part I

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of "Passages: Fletcher's Rebellion, Part 1"?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:49 am

5 stars: An excellent tale!
20%
4 stars: A well-told adventure
20%
3 stars: An average story
60%
2 stars: A not-so-memorable show
No votes
1 star: A very forgettable episode
No votes

Total votes: 5

LizzieG
I've been working out

422: Passages: Fletcher’s Rebellion, Part I

Post by LizzieG »

Writer: Paul McCusker
Director: Phil Lollar
Sound Designer: Rob Jorgensen

Summary:

Tom Riley meets with a woman named Alice who knew his son, Timmy, from camp when they were children, but the story she relates is an adventure beyond Tom's - or our - wildest dreams! While exploring the woods near the camp, Alice says, she and Timmy stumbled into an alternate world/dimension called Marus. In this conflict-ridden land, they not only help one of the Marutians, Fletcher, deliver his people from the oppression of the Adrians, but they also learn about a Being called the Unseen One, Who has called Alice to be a messenger and Timmy to be a helper in this land where most have forsaken Him.

Comparisons:

"Passages: Fletcher's Rebellion" (previously known as simply "Passages") served as a prequel and promotion for the Passages book series almost exactly ten years ago, and is distinctly different both from the books and the upcoming Darien's Rise dramatic adaptation. "Passages: Fletcher's Rebellion" is not an adaptation, but an original work told in a more abbreviated format and in a different context than the other Passages adventures. Key characteristics of Marus, such as its more vivid colors, the two moons, and the fact that messengers from the Unseen One have eyes of two different colors are mentioned in this episode. Alice and Timmy, however, don't immediately realize they're in Marus, but come to that conclusion gradually... whereas in most of the Passages books (all except Draven's Defiance), the children are dramatically transported to Marus in such a way that the realization is rather abrupt.

The Passages books were not released in chronological order, but, based on the Bible stories each book portrays, here is a chronological listing of the various Passages adventures we've been treated to:

Arin's Judgment
Glennall's Betrayal
Fendar's Legacy
Fletcher's Rebellion
Darien's Rise
Draven's Defiance
Annison's Risk

As you can see, Fletcher's Rebellion comes right in the middle, and directly before Darien's Rise, the first book in the series. There are interesting parallels between the two: the Adrians represent the Amalekites in both books; the time period in both seems reminiscent of the late-1800s in America (whereas other Passages books seem to correspond with different eras); and, finally, Fletcher does not seem to know what a telephone is when Timmy mentions it. Interesting, since both Arin's Judgment (chronologically earlier) and Darien's Rise (chronologically later) do have phones.

Review:

Due to the relative shortness of "Passages: Fletcher's Rebellion," there wasn't much time in this adventure to set the stage or develop the world of Marus before launching into the adventure. However, it fulfills its purpose in making the listener want more. The familiar actors playing new roles can be somewhat of a distraction for seasoned listeners, particularly in the case of Timmy (played by Blake Ewing - "Nathaniel Graham"). I enjoyed the opening scene with Alice and Tom, and, in two instances, the music especially stood out: first, the ominous/mysterious "air" when Alice reveals to Tom that Marus "is not in this world"; and second, during the cattle stampede following Timmy's "what do you want me to do?"

On a final note, Whit's not being in this show means that Andre Stojka will be the only Whit associated with the audio of Passages. Because of this, this episode can still serve as a prequel to the dramatic adaptation of Darien's Rise without confusing new listeners with "multiple Whits."

Discussion Questions:
  • If you've read the Passages books, what did you think of this adventure in comparison? Was it a good introduction to Marus, or do you think it's a disappointment compared to the books? If you haven't read the books, does this episode make you want to, or not?
  • This episode is in album 34, "In Your Wildest Dreams." Do you have any opinions as to whether or not it belongs in a regular Odyssey album?
  • Do you think it was a good move that Timmy, a familiar character, was our first adventurer to Marus (rather than an unfamiliar kid, as in the books)?
  • Don't you think the cover art for the Sampler is cool? \:D/
EDIT: I forgot to say that this episode is airing today, so head over to http://www.whitsend.org to listen to it if you haven't already! :D
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I heard it today... after they had just played both parts on Thursday and Friday.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

The real question is: has the episode title officially been changed? Or will we have to wait for the Vol. 34 repack to find out?
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Boswell wrote:The real question is: has the episode title officially been changed? Or will we have to wait for the Vol. 34 repack to find out?
http://www.aiowiki.com/wiki/Adventures_ ... s_Redirect
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Boswell wrote:The real question is: has the episode title officially been changed? Or will we have to wait for the Vol. 34 repack to find out?
Yes, the episode title is officially changed. Hear more about this issue on the upcoming iTaliq interview with Nathan Hoobler. :-
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

I didn't particularly like these episodes, mostly because a few parts are confusing, but here are a few thoughts:
LizzieG wrote:
  • If you've read the Passages books, what did you think of this adventure in comparison? Was it a good introduction to Marus, or do you think it's a disappointment compared to the books? If you haven't read the books, does this episode make you want to, or not?
I haven't read the Passages Books, and this series doesn't make me want to either. It fits into the Odyssey plot well, but doesn't really lead into the book series.
LizzieG wrote:
  • This episode is in album 34, "In Your Wildest Dreams." Do you have any opinions as to whether or not it belongs in a regular Odyssey album?
As I said it fits in well. It deserves to be in a normal album as much as the next episode!
LizzieG wrote:
  • Do you think it was a good move that Timmy, a familiar character, was our first adventurer to Marus (rather than an unfamiliar kid, as in the books)?
    Yes! Too many short lived AIO characters get confusing. (Colby Cabrera, Brooke Meyers, etc. [But not Irwin Springer! :noway: ])
    LizzieG wrote:
    • Don't you think the cover art for the Sampler is cool? \:D/
    [/list][/list]
    No, epic. \:D/