033: The Day Independence Came!

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How would you rate this episode?

5 Stars - Epic!
33%
4 Stars - Awesome!
17%
3 Stars - Historic!
33%
2 Stars - Needs Clean-up!
No votes
1 Star - It Stinks! :(
17%

Total votes: 6

Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

033: The Day Independence Came!

Post by Irwin »

The Day Independence Came!

This episode deserves a thread in this sub-forum, so I listened through once again and jotted down a few things that may help to show why I favor this episode over all of the others:
  • In all three of the different broadcast versions (First airdaste, second airdate, today's broadcasts) start with Chris as a fireworks show. She exlaims, "A musical firework" and then the theme plays. Kind of a lame beginning, but most early episodes start in a similar manner to this.
  • In the gold auido version, the theme plays and then the music plays and the episode begins. I actually didn't know that the alternative fireworks intro exisited until I heard the broadcast this summer.
  • This episode always tends to be on the radio around the forth of July for obvious reasons:
    June 30, 2009
    July 01, 2008
    July 03, 2007
    July 04, 2006
    June 30, 2005
    July 01, 2004
    June 29, 2004
    July 01, 2003
    July 02, 2002
    July 03, 2001
    July 04, 2000
    July 06, 1999
    July 01, 1997
    March 29, 1997
    July 02, 1996
    July 04, 1995
    July 04, 1994
    September 06, 1993
    May 31, 1993
    April 13, 1992
    August 26, 1991
    July 01, 1989
    July 02, 1988
  • The music! Once discussed here, it has a catchy feel and can easily get stuck in your head for weeks! It exhibits the perfect colonial mood to start the story.
  • Irwin Springer! We get an awesome one-time character who I'm named after! Who doesn't love his charming "oh wow"? In the congress he is also called Master Springer by President Hancock. His full name can be argued to be Irwin Springer from Odyssey as that's what Nathan Hale calls him in quotable part:

Nathan Hale: Well, we've had quite an adventure, and I don't even know your name or where you're from.
    Irwin Springer: I'm Irwin Springer from Odyssey.
    Nathan Hale: Well Irwin Springer from Odyssey, I thank you for saving my life.
    Irwin Springer: Likewise I'm sure. And you are?
    Nathan Hale: My name is Hale, Nathan Hale.
    Irwin Springer: Nathan Hale, the Nathan Hale!?
    Nathan Hale: You've heard of me?
    Irwin Springer: Who hasn't heard of you?
  • Has anyone ever noticed that beginning is similar to 'Not So Trivial Pursuit' where Dwane and Jack Allen are doing trivia? :-k
  • "Speaking of Franklin" This foreshadows Herlinger doing his Franklin voice in the end!
  • "It's a big thick one too! I found it in a sale downtown." I've nevr gotten hit in the head with a book, but I may get brained with one someday ('The Ill Gotten Deed' Reference)
  • "This looks like the dirt road up to trickle lake" Was trickle lake referenced before that at all?
  • Many historical auotes are read such as, "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country" and "I have lived, sir a long time..."
  • The continental congress scene is epic. \:D/ Especially at the end when the quotes and votes are read over each other.
  • "Vote against independence!" And we here a sound of thunder, kind of affective. :?
  • Over all this episode has a superb plot, music and characters and recieves 6/5 stars!
Other Thoughts:
  • I put the Bruce Day album two artwork at top where we get our only view ever of Irwin. :p
  • If anyone remembers the police officer at the end of 'No, Honestly!' when a police officer says, "Are you Mark Reed?". That police officer seems to be voiced by Donald Long (who also voiced Irwin). So any logical person can tell that that is indeed Irwin and not Jack Davis! \:D/
  • Parts of this episode are flashbacked in the retrospective episode 'The Adventure of the Adventure' and 'Blackgaard's Revenge'
  • This episodes is in a Chick-fil-a package with a few deleted lines. On a bonus feature in album 14, it is mentioned that some Chick-fil-a listeners took offense, because Washington prayed in the name of Jesus...even though he is quoted exactly.
  • Does this episode have less of a meaning to Canadian listeners? I just noticed there are a handful of episodes that deal with US history. ('By Dawn's Early Light', 'The Underground Railroad', etc.)
  • I used to think that the kid from 'The Last Great Adventure of Summer' was voiced by the same actor as Irwin. :-k But I was wrong. \:D/
  • This AIO's first attempt at story-telling as far as I can tell...they tried a few other methods such as 'By Faith, Noah' and 'The Shepherd and the Giant' until they finally arrived ta the most popular method, 'The Imagination Station'.
I think my next favorite episode would be 'Real Time', but that review is for another time. \:D/
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Irwin wrote:[*]I used to think that the kid from 'The Last Great Adventure of Summer' was voiced by the same actor as Irwin. :-k But I was wrong. \:D/
Matthew Reed sounds similar to Donald Long, doesn't he? :-k I used to wonder if Donald was talking to himself in "Rumor Has It" when Jack and Peter were talking to each other.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

"Speaking of Franklin" This foreshadows Herlinger doing his Franklin voice in the end!
Unless I'm totally misinterpreting you here, I think you mean to say Hal Smith. :)

You certainly are the right person to write this review, Irwin, given your long-standing fanship of it! \:D/ Good stuff. At least in my case as a Canadian (to address one of your questions/points) it has less meaning in the sense that I don't hold it near and dear to my heart ;) but I always found it interesting as a kid, and I still don't dislike it. I don't adore it the way some people do ;) but it's decent. I do like how they used an actual prayer of George Washington's - I've always thought that was cool! :D
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Mrs. Bennet wrote:
"Speaking of Franklin" This foreshadows Herlinger doing his Franklin voice in the end!
Unless I'm totally misinterpreting you here, I think you mean to say Hal Smith. :)
Un..yes :anxious: