655 The Inspiration Station 1

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What'd you think of the episode?

5 stars: Excellent!
14%
4 stars: Great start!
41%
3 stars: Fine. Good. Okay.
33%
2 stars: Disappointing.
6%
1 star: Poor.
6%

Total votes: 51

Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I was overall pleasantly surprised by the episode. I wouldn't say it'll go on my list of favorites, but it was a good episode. I'll have to hear the second part to REALLY decide, though.

As far as Andre is concerned, there were honestly handful of lines where I forgot he was new. He definitely sounds more like Hal to me than Paul. But either way, I think I'll get used to him real quick. (He drove my sister crazy though. Something about his articulation didn't connect with her as Whit.)

I think I'm really going to like the Parkers. Though Olivia's voice kind of bothered me, I'll wait and see how they develop her character before I decide whether or not I like her specifically.

I give it 3/5 'cause it felt pretty average to me. Again, I'll have to wait till the next part before I can REALLY decide.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

The only real problem I have with Andre is his accent (anyone know what kind of accent that is, btw?). Other than that, he's doing pretty well at seeming like Whit.

I give the episode 3 stars.

The problem with Olivia's voice is that she is a 38-year-old woman (Hope Levy) voicing an 11-year-old girl.

Jeremy
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Really? That's weird...

I like it, but I was surprised that there was no theme in the beginning. And what about the red button?! Andre's voice sounded weird, and Matthew sounds cool!

So overall...

4/5
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I think it is pretty good so far, I can't wait to hear what comes next.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

Jeremy wrote:The problem with Olivia's voice is that she is a 38-year-old woman (Hope Levy) voicing an 11-year-old girl.
That's EXACTLY what I said. That she sounds like someone much older trying to sound like a kid.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
JoyElectric
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by JoyElectric »

Wait, it just dawned on me -- the kid's name is Camilla Parker?!??

Those AIO people sure like their British names.
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

I liked it. So far, it wouldn't be one of my first choices when deciding on an Odyssey to listen to, because its a little boring and doesn't really have anything that makes it stand out to me, but its still very good. It definitely felt like one of the older Odyssey episodes. I mean, if you replaced the Parkers with the Barclays, it probably wouldn't change that much. I'd give it a 4/5.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Whenever the new Whit started talking I kept thinking "When did Jack get here?"

The kids voices are way too consistent.

The Parker family is way too perfect, the siblings barely fought, and the parents were way too concerned.

The writing seemed choppy, and inconsistent. You would think that with 2 years they could at least produce a good script.

The editing was a bit too obvious at spots.

The theme/end music didn't feel like AIO, although the music throughout the episode made up for the crumby theme.

I don't know what happened to AIO but it seems like they either think that listeners don't have the capacity to think or are trying to loose listener.

Over all I did not like the episode in the least bit.

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

31899 wrote:
The kids voices are way too consistent.
How is that bad? >_>
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

The episode wasn't too bad. Andre's Whit wasn't too far off, but the story was kind of... strange. Since when did Eugene work at Whit's End, too?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

I found myself focusing so much on Andre that I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the storyline. But here are my intial thoughts:

-There were some moments that Andre actually gave me chills, I thought I was listening to Hal but other times not. Either he will get better over time or I'll just have to get used to it. I agree though with some people that it felt like one of the "classic" episodes. I'm very curious to see how Andre sounds when he's angry or scolding. He seems to have a very soft voice.

-The Parkers were ok. I liked the voice of the father. He reminds me of Dale Jacobs. Hopefully over time, I'll really start to like them.

Overall, 4 out of 5! Great job! Odyssey is finally back!
Exercise Daily-Walk with The Lord!
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

DanP740 wrote:The episode wasn't too bad. Andre's Whit wasn't too far off, but the story was kind of... strange. Since when did Eugene work at Whit's End, too?
I wondered about Eugene too, I guess Hand's Up isn't getting enough business. O:)

I thought the episode was pretty good! It's one of those things where it will still take getting used to the changes, but we'll adjust. I kind of found it hard to imagine it taking place after album 50 though. It seems like it was an older episode that I just hadn't heard before or something.

As far as Andre goes, I'll agree with WindowWasher in that there were a few lines where Andre talked and it was like Hal was back. At one point when Whit laughed I literally had chills because it reminded me of Hal. Then again, while I'm quickly getting used to the new Whit, I'm finding myself almost creating a whole new 'Whit.' It's like a similar character with the same name, who does a great job filling the needs of Whit's character, but I can't picture Paul's Whit saying half of the lines in the way Andre did.

All the same I really do like Andre as Whit, Connie and Eugene were great to hear from again, I'll get used to the Parker's, though I don't like either Camilla or Olivia very much yet, I'm sure they'll grow on me. I'm really looking forward to part two.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

31899 wrote:The Parker family is way too perfect, the siblings barely fought, and the parents were way too concerned.
"Are perfect"? "Barely fought"? "Too concerned"? You only heard them for a few moments, 31899. My family could seem perfect and never-fighting at times, but if you give it some time... ;) Don't get yourself so worked up after just one episode.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Jeremy wrote:The problem with Olivia's voice is that she is a 38-year-old woman (Hope Levy) voicing an 11-year-old girl.
Absolutely! I'm convinced that an adult voicing a kid without taking away from the quality simply can't be done. I wish they'd quit trying altogether. The whole concept basically ruined Kidsboro; you'd think the writers (or in this case casters) would have learned their lesson.

One more note after listening for the... fourth time. ( :anxious: I just love days with new Odysseys \:D/ ) Whit says he's never seen anything like this before, referring to all the displays shutting down but, what about applesauce? Probably, with the whole fresh start thing, references to the past will be limited to purely comedic ones that don't take away from the story if they're not understood by newer fans.

Also, I love the line; "Why? Did she like unfair South American trade policies?"
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

It was great \:D/
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

The Top Crusader wrote:
31899 wrote: The kids voices are way too consistent
How is that bad? >_>
This is "bad" because they don't seem like children.
American Eagle wrote:
31899 wrote:The Parker family is way too perfect, the siblings barely fought, and the parents were way too concerned.
"Are perfect"? "Barely fought"? "Too concerned"? You only heard them for a few moments, 31899. My family could seem perfect and never-fighting at times, but if you give it some time... ;) Don't get yourself so worked up after just one episode.
I don't know about you but, I'm guessing that not even the best family in the world acts as perfect as the parkers. Frankly the Parkers make me want to vomit and send nasty letters to FOTF. This is one of the only families that I can remember that was this perfect on AIO. The first time you meet the Barclay's Jimmy and Donna actually fight like real siblings. AIO maybe should have stopped after album 50.

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

31899, relax or get off the internet or something, because you are being ridiculous.

Anyway, yeah, I was amused Connie and Eugene seemed to be fulltime back at Whit's End... which was a little odd since it seemed they had been going to effort over the years to have them "move on" somewhat. Which as real people that would be for the best, but as characters on a show there isn't really any reason to do that so I suppose there is no harm in them being back. And besides, it could just be for the introductory episodes here, and things will straighten out... although the impression we're getting is they've taken the show back to year 2 or 3 or so... so maybe things will just stay like this.

As for Andre, I'm really pleased... his initial recording when he was talking to Alan Young for Passages just wasn't good, I can't pretend that it was at all acceptable. ;) But now he is doing much better, and its like having the ONE TRUE ORIGINAL WHIT TO RULE THEM ALL back in the picture. Paul Herlinger was awesome but I'm glad we are picking up the warmth and emotion of Hal Smith again because it was really lacking and Whit's character just wasn't the same without it.

And I still think the Inspiration Station is just a marijuana simulator! Connie is hooked already! \:D/ Maybe "Whit's friend" is a drug dealer! \:D/
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I thought it was a decent beginning. Not one of the all time greats, but not one of the worst (The Great Wishy Was) either. I wish we had a better idea of what happened inside the Inspiration Station. Maybe this should have been a three parter with the first part being Connie's experiences inside the new invention as bridge between the 'old series' and the new 'series'. Sorry, to me, it's a new series with familiar characters. I like André and look forward to seeing him relax into his new role. He still sounds like the 'young' Whit used in previous episodes like 'Silent Night'but I can't get anyone to agree with me on that. My husband was probably like Matthew in his younger years, so I look forward to seeing more of that family. I look forward to hearing the rest of the episodes on Album 51!
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
profg11
29K to go!

Post by profg11 »

It was not my fav... but what do I have to complain about?.... ODYSSEY IS BACK! =D I have so much to look forward to! =) I can see they are really trying to make everything new but also make it the same old odyssey, with the whole thing with the "new connie" and whit has a new voice, and they bring in a new family... like almost instantly.... i mean, come on - you would think they would go back to where they left off with kelly and wrap things up there or something... and also maybe introduce the new family in a different way. Like, well, ok... they have the whole family in that one room - it was hard to tell who was who - they were all new voices and all talking at the same time. But... whatever. I am just glad AIO is still up and kicking after all these years. LONG LIVE ODYSSEY!!!!!!!! =D
Later,
Jordan

See my new video here:
http://alturl.com/q3zw

Google.com http://alturl.com/m72z

My website:
http://www.jordangreene.us/
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

First off, I have to thank Regis for putting the episode up in this thread. When I clicked on the "Listen Online" link on the AIOWiki the most recent episode that was in FOTF's online player was "Sounds Like a Mystery". Go figure. *shrug*

Secondly, I really enjoyed this episode; not enough to rate it a 5, but enough that I definitely can't wait to hear part 2. Andre as Whit still feels a little different, but given enough time I'm sure he'll settle into the role and make it his own.
Since when did Eugene work at Whit's End, too?
I guess Hand's Up isn't getting enough business. O:)
Why can't Eugene help out at Whit's end while managing Hand Up? Hand Up is a philanthropic, most likely non-profit organization; Eugene isn't operating it to make money for himself or Katrina, he's operating it to help people who need it whether its in Odyssey or in other places like the Ashanti region of Africa. Eugene and Katrina still need to work to support themselves (unless they're getting a monthly allowance or something from Millicent Shanks). So why shouldn't Eugene, who has his own office at Whit's End, help out when he's there? The way I see it, it's not that different from Whit asking Tom to keep an eye on things in the shop while he went to Chicago during the 'Plan B' arc of Novacom, or Bernard stepping behind the counter and making sundaes for the kids the way he did in the beginning of "Bernard and Jeremiah".

And if the new profile blurb for Eugene at Whit'sEnd.Org is to be believed, Eugene's also back working at Campbell College. So his helping out at Whit's End may only be on a part-time basis.

-Kim
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!