655 The Inspiration Station 1

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What'd you think of the episode?

5 stars: Excellent!
14%
4 stars: Great start!
41%
3 stars: Fine. Good. Okay.
33%
2 stars: Disappointing.
6%
1 star: Poor.
6%

Total votes: 51

Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

I didn't mean to minimize Walker Edmiston's work, but yes, I think it should be fairly easy to find a replacement for Tom if that's the path they go down. I would prefer they use the opportunity to deal with death in a serious and real way, but I know the team is against that idea.

All of the main actors with AIO have been talented, multi-character actors. When Hal Smith passed, they not only lost Mr. Whittaker but his incredible ability to play multiple characters. It was a loss, to be sure, but it wasn't an insurmountable loss. Same with Paul Herlinger.

As for the hype around the IS, etc., I just want to once again urge everyone to delay judgement on "The Inspiration Station" until we've heard part II (or until the season is finished, and we've had some time to put the episode in context).
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Ingress Neverwhere wrote:
(Tom Riley's Death, The Washingtons Moving, etc.)
Who has said the Washington family has moved? Who has said that since Walker Edmiston has passed away, Tom Riley has also died? Just because something or someone isn't mentioned, it doesn't necessarily mean that that something or someone is gone for good. Mandy Straussberg and her family didn't appear in this episode. Nor did Trent DeWhite, or Grady McKay and his mother and sister. Does this mean that they've all moved away from Odyssey too? What about Bernard, or Katrina? Did Bernard move to Florida like Dave Madden did? Did Eugene and Katrina suddenly decide to get a divorce, and she's back living with her mother in Chicago?

Why can't the Washingtons still be living in Odyssey, with Kelly, and just not have the focus be on them anymore? Why does Hand Up suddenly have to have failed just because Eugene is working at Whit's End again? Why, if something or someone isn't talked about in the first new episode in two years, does it mean that it has left?

Why?
You misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that any of that happened. Let me try to rephrase it;

The writers wanted to get rid of a significant number of the decisions they had made. But, they didn't want to have to explain the reversal of all of these things (characters, locations, employments, etc.) so, they did this relaunch. But, the only way it works is if we assume that nothing will be the same. Like, let's say (just an example) they decided to...

Keep
  • Katrina
  • Bernard
  • The Imagination Station
  • Eugene liking vests
Abandon
  • The Washingtons
  • Kelly
  • Grady
  • The Rathbones
  • Tom (temporarily)
  • Connie's fear of staplers
  • The Odyssey Bus Station
Usually, they would decide to write those things off of the show; they might (again these are just examples) have Grady move away, the bus station burn down, Connie go to group therapy and Tom go to do missions work in the Middle East. :wink: But, they decided that, with where the series is right now, they wanted to more 'abandon' decisions than they would usually make for an upcoming season. They were faced with basically two options; one: do a whole bunch of episodes with themes like "coping with death", "making new friends after your old ones moved away because they got written of a fictional radio drama uncreatively", "bus station arson awareness", etc. or they could do a relaunch, in which they wouldn't have to explain all the things that disappeared and they could just start fresh without worrying about doing too many shows on death.

My point was that the only way it will work is if we, the die-hard fans, agree to not assume things. I'm not saying Tom will be written off; maybe Tom will stay with a new actor and... the Bible Room will be written off. I have no idea. And, that's my point; with a relaunch, unlike when things are usually written off the show, we don't know what has and hasn't been written off until it appears again.

Gandalf made some excellent points and I agree with all of it. Very well said. :yes:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

*Reads whole thread for the first time*.

I loved the episode, ten out of five stars! Andre fits in so perfectly I hardly noticed it. I even got excited for the Whit scenes in the episode, as I wanted to hear how great he played the part. \:D/

The music was also great, it just worked.

This episode had references (intentional or unintentional) to "A Bite of Applesauce", "Promises, Promises", and "Connie, Part 2". I love references of this type that aren't IN YOUR FACE, as some were in album 50.

Another plus was that Grady wasn't in this episode, I never liked Grady. :(

As for all of the unfinished points from 2008, just relax. I really wouldn't care if AIO dumped every storyline, basic to complex, and started over with a Whit's Flop type thing. \:D/

--

Also, if you want to learn about the episodes ahead, visit the 2010 Season on AIOWiki. \:D/
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

You just had to fit in a plug for AIOWiki, didn't you? ;)
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

DanP740 wrote:You just had to fit in a plug for AIOWiki, didn't you? ;)
To appease you and Top, I'll change my advertisement:

--

Are you living with the weight of unfair or substantial IRS debt? Tax Masters can help. :yes:
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

King Butter Turtle wrote: The writers wanted to get rid of a significant number of the decisions they had made. But, they didn't want to have to explain the reversal of all of these things (characters, locations, employments, etc.) so, they did this relaunch. But, the only way it works is if we assume that nothing will be the same. Like, let's say (just an example) they decided to...

Keep
  • Katrina
  • Bernard
  • The Imagination Station
  • Eugene liking vests
Abandon
  • The Washingtons
  • Kelly
  • Grady
  • The Rathbones
  • Tom (temporarily)
  • Connie's fear of staplers
  • The Odyssey Bus Station
Usually, they would decide to write those things off of the show; they might (again these are just examples) have Grady move away, the bus station burn down, Connie go to group therapy and Tom go to do missions work in the Middle East. :wink: But, they decided that, with where the series is right now, they wanted to more 'abandon' decisions than they would usually make for an upcoming season. They were faced with basically two options; one: do a whole bunch of episodes with themes like "coping with death", "making new friends after your old ones moved away because they got written of a fictional radio drama uncreatively", "bus station arson awareness", etc. or they could do a relaunch, in which they wouldn't have to explain all the things that disappeared and they could just start fresh without worrying about doing too many shows on death.
I see what you're saying, but I don't really agree that the writers have, as of yet, done anything different than the usual AIO pattern. The vast, vast majority of AIO kid characters simply dissapeared without any explanation. The Barclays are the only ones that I remember actually having their absence explained in the series.

Grady and his sister, Kelly, the Washingtons, Mandy and David, Trent, and whatever other kid characters were left at the end of album 50 will simply follow the Jacobs, Lucy, Sam Johnson, Courtney Vincent, Lawrence, Isaac, the Sellers, the Mulligans, the Shepherds, and hundreds of other characters that simply dissappeared with no explanation. It's nothing new. Nathan Hoobler even wrote this fun spoof of AIO over 10 years ago to poke fun of that element of AIO http://www.aiohq.com/articles/bizarro.htm

Additionally, the vast, vast majority of AIO kids and families, excepting the Sellers and Shepherds, simply appeared out of nowhere with no explanation. I don't have a big issue with the Parkers and Jones simply appearing as if they've always been part of the show; that's they way AIO has almost always handled introductions.

I could be completely off-base, but I guess I've just been assuming that the reset is really the exact same thing that happened between albums 28 and 29. Absolutely no kids that appeared in albums 29 ever appeared in previous shows, and all of the kids from albums 1-28 were gone in album 29 (with a few popping up once in awhile as adult characters). Even though we had a 100% kid-character turnover, there wasn't any major continuity issues with previous episodes (though all series have occasional goofs!). I'm not expecting the core characters (Whit, Connie, Eugene, and *gag* Wooton; never thought I'd call him a 'core' character) to change. We'll just have to wait and see what develops with some of the minor characters (Tom, Bernard, Jack, Joanne).

From what I understand, album 51 isn't a spin-off, but a continuation of AIO. I'm just happy that they're still making them!
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

I loved Nathan Hooblers story. It really does a great job making fun of all of the classic Odyssey moments. I'm surprised he got away with writing that whole thing. Was that before he was on the Odyssey staff?
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
dancer5678
Gold Member

Post by dancer5678 »

It seems a little boring. There isn't a lot to the story line either. Its okay though.
~Dancer5678
Image,
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Irwin wrote:
DanP740 wrote:You just had to fit in a plug for AIOWiki, didn't you? ;)
To appease you and Top, I'll change my advertisement:

--

Are you living with the weight of unfair or substantial IRS debt? Tax Masters can help. :yes:
I adore the dude in the Tax Masters commercials. :inlove:
Dallas R.

Post by Dallas R. »

dancer5678 wrote:It seems a little boring. There isn't a lot to the story line either. Its okay though.
Yeah, as a storyline it was pretty awful, and it would make a terrible recording; not much to listen to really. But as a spoof of the series it hits on every key classic Odyssey moment, like the dramatic exit line, and the tomb of the forgotten characters that randomly come back every now and then.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
mdetective12
I'm memorable

Post by mdetective12 »

It's cool. I like it
~AC~
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

I liked it! \:D/

I waited until today so I could hear both episodes together. I can definitely get used to the "new" Whit. I liked the Parkers, but I hope they'll still have some of the old families.

I don't understand why some people thought the parents were too concerned. Don't most parents care if their children are acting strange? If I had kids and they were acting like Matthew was, I'd be concerned too. It's not exactly normal for kids to be depressed and stop doing what they like. The thought of caring about my children does not make me sick. :\

Am I the only one who actually understood the Inspiration Station? I guess I'll have to read the next episode's discussion to find that one out... but I didn't think anything about drugs until I read this thread. Some people have dirty minds. :noway:

Overall, I really liked the episode!
Crazy 4 Pugs

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

Well, the first time I listened to it, I didn't like it, and Whit's voice really bugged me. Surprisingly, it's starting to grow on me (even the new Whit).

Liked
- A true "slice of life" episode. No crazy jokes/gags, no over-the-top "adventures"
- Eugene as a "techno-geek" again. I know he's maturing as a character and stuff, but I've missed nerdy, brilliant Eugene for the last few albums
- Matthew seems to have some potential as a character.

Didn't like
- What's-her-face's voice. You know, the 11 year old voiced by an adult. She doesn't sound like a kid.

Random observations
- Sorry, but I don't buy it that a 10 year old could be that smart
- Inspiration station = drugs :lol: bahaha made me laugh.
- Looking forward to hearing part 2 today
- Can't believe how quickly new Whit's voice is starting to sound "right" to me.

Overall, I'd say it has potential, but it'll take some time to get used to it.
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

Sorry, but I don't buy it that a 10 year old could be that smart
I am smarter then him about computers, I think. (like I would know to look inside the file to make sure they were duplicates) and I am only 13.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

well, if you're having trouble believing that the Parker boy could be that smart at 10 what about Eugune? He'd already graduated high school by age 13.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Yeah...and like I tell my brother....Moontide is a whiz. Take it from me.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I like the Whit intro on CD.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Regis Blackbeard wrote:I like the Whit intro on CD.
What Whit intro?
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

The introduction for this episode. It is on the CD.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Regis Blackbeard wrote:The introduction for this episode. It is on the CD.
You must have something that I don't have because there is no intro that I can find.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln