655 The Inspiration Station 1

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What'd you think of the episode?

5 stars: Excellent!
14%
4 stars: Great start!
41%
3 stars: Fine. Good. Okay.
33%
2 stars: Disappointing.
6%
1 star: Poor.
6%

Total votes: 51

DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I just finally realized something... when Whit bought McAlister park in Album 51, he damaged the space time continuum, which sucked all of FOTF's recording equipment into an alternate timeline, where there was no Timothy Center, no Hand Up, no Washington family, where Connie acts really lame about this addicting machine, and there's this strange guy running Whit's End named Jon Ivory Witacker! Also, the damage was so bad it sucked Bart Rathbone away to the big electric palace in the sky and replaced him with Bert Rathnybroen several episodes before Whit bought McAlister park!
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

I think the hardest part of all of this, is that even though the episode turned out better than most of us expected, as old fans of the show, it's hard for us to see our favorite old characters acting like the last 50 albums of Odyssey never happened. It's still a good show, and has the similar feel as it always had, but it's just annoying to see our 'friends' completely ignore their own pasts.
It's times like these when I remember that we have to keep in mind that the whole program is an outreach, and while it might sometimes disappoint us true fans, Adventures in Odyssey is still reaching out to new kids in new ways all the time.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

DanP740 wrote:I just finally realized something... when Whit bought McAlister park in Album 51, he damaged the space time continuum, which sucked all of FOTF's recording equipment into an alternate timeline, where there was no Timothy Center, no Hand Up, no Washington family, where Connie acts really lame about this addicting machine, and there's this strange guy running Whit's End named Jon Ivory Witacker! Also, the damage was so bad it sucked Bart Rathbone away to the big electric palace in the sky and replaced him with Bert Rathnybroen several episodes before Whit bought McAlister park!
I personally don't think that Connie was acting any worse than she already has in the past. She's been a lot worse, as displayed in other shows. I think Connie is just being Connie and the writers are continuing her consistent personality. Nothing more, nothing less. Connie has always been more emotional about things and creates a dramatic energy for the show.
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Officer David Harley wrote:and how many of your parents tell you that their concerned for you and talk to you like that?
Ummm....mine? \:D/ And most families I know...
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Dallas R. wrote:it's just annoying to see our 'friends' completely ignore their own pasts.
They didn't ignore their own pasts. It's not like history was erased or anything. It is true that Eugene wasn't working at Whit's End for a while but, he got his job back and we're just now finding out about it. Is that too hard to fathom? That's the way I'm looking at it, at least.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
Dallas R. wrote:it's just annoying to see our 'friends' completely ignore their own pasts.
They didn't ignore their own pasts. It's not like history was erased or anything.
Thank you, King Butter Turtle. I'm sorry, but this is what is aggravating me about some of the responses in this thread: the assumption that because something isn't mentioned, like Hand Up, it means that it doesn't exist anymore.
(Tom Riley's Death, The Washingtons Moving, etc.)
Who has said the Washington family has moved? Who has said that since Walker Edmiston has passed away, Tom Riley has also died? Just because something or someone isn't mentioned, it doesn't necessarily mean that that something or someone is gone for good. Mandy Straussberg and her family didn't appear in this episode. Nor did Trent DeWhite, or Grady McKay and his mother and sister. Does this mean that they've all moved away from Odyssey too? What about Bernard, or Katrina? Did Bernard move to Florida like Dave Madden did? Did Eugene and Katrina suddenly decide to get a divorce, and she's back living with her mother in Chicago?

Why can't the Washingtons still be living in Odyssey, with Kelly, and just not have the focus be on them anymore? Why does Hand Up suddenly have to have failed just because Eugene is working at Whit's End again? Why, if something or someone isn't talked about in the first new episode in two years, does it mean that it has left?

Why?
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
Bob Booth
OK

Post by Bob Booth »

Ingress Neverwhere wrote: Who has said the Washington family has moved? Who has said that since Walker Edmiston has passed away, Tom Riley has also died? Just because something or someone isn't mentioned, it doesn't necessarily mean that that something or someone is gone for good. Mandy Straussberg and her family didn't appear in this episode. Nor did Trent DeWhite, or Grady McKay and his mother and sister. Does this mean that they've all moved away from Odyssey too? What about Bernard, or Katrina? Did Bernard move to Florida like Dave Madden did? Did Eugene and Katrina suddenly decide to get a divorce, and she's back living with her mother in Chicago?

Why can't the Washingtons still be living in Odyssey, with Kelly, and just not have the focus be on them anymore? Why does Hand Up suddenly have to have failed just because Eugene is working at Whit's End again? Why, if something or someone isn't talked about in the first new episode in two years, does it mean that it has left?

Why?
haha amen!

well put! I totally agree
Officer David Harley
Classic

Post by Officer David Harley »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
Officer David Harley wrote:and how many of your parents tell you that their concerned for you and talk to you like that?
Ummm....mine? \:D/ And most families I know...
but in that way? the kids just being moody "We're concerned about you and what wrong..."(I'm normaly a good kid and don't get into trouble so I don't really know what my parents would say)

Officer David Harley
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Get real. Yes, most parents would worry. Where have you been. It has always been this way with AIO.

Seriously, what is the deal with you and 31899 being so over dramatic?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Humans

People change. Also no parents are that concerned when a child has a bit of a down day or two. If you honestly think that is realistic I do not know what your imaginary planet that you come from is like.

Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Apparently we all come from the same one. Because I think that most would agree that you two are being over dramatic. If I went one day without being on the computer mom would think something is wrong. That goes for lots of parents.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Regis Blackbeard wrote:Get real. Yes, most parents would worry. Where have you been. It has always been this way with AIO.

Seriously, what is the deal with you and 31899 being so over dramatic?
They aren't being overdramatic... Would it shock you to hear I didn't like the episode either? Ha?

And my parents don't worry about me... and I'm 300 miles away! I could be doing drugs for all they know! My parents don't worry about my sister either... the only time my dad worried about me was because I was crying over Nathan. He thought I needed to like... stop being emotional. I've been extremely mad for the past week and a half over it, because its the second time someone wanted me to be one way or another for them, and not be myself...

Every parent is different... and 31889 and ODH are entitled to their opinion.

Please be careful what you say. That really goes for everyone, to be honest.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :) But we're countering their assertions that NO parents are ever that concerned or talk to their kids. There are plenty of parents that do, and I would say the majority of Christian parents, so to post accusations of the Parkers being totally not realistic, and saying that it makes him want to vomit and send nasty letters is a little over the top. :-

But anyway, everyone does indeed have their own opinion on the matter....maybe it could be just posted in a nicer, more constructive way.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I couldn't have said it better myself.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

My opinion in nicer words is AIO needs a lot of work.

To tell you the truth I think you may be looking through rose coloured glasses. I admit some families are like that not most.

My response was not over the top.

By the way nice way to band wagon

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I'm not really sure I like the idea of a relaunch, though... >_> I kind of worry they will attempt this for a year or two then the show will just die. >_> Because I'm pessimistic on the matter, apparently.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Ingress Neverwhere wrote:
King Butter Turtle wrote:
They didn't ignore their own pasts. It's not like history was erased or anything.
Thank you, King Butter Turtle. I'm sorry, but this is what is aggravating me about some of the responses in this thread: the assumption that because something isn't mentioned, like Hand Up, it means that it doesn't exist anymore.
(Tom Riley's Death, The Washingtons Moving, etc.)
Who has said the Washington family has moved? Who has said that since Walker Edmiston has passed away, Tom Riley has also died? Just because something or someone isn't mentioned, it doesn't necessarily mean that that something or someone is gone for good. Mandy Straussberg and her family didn't appear in this episode. Nor did Trent DeWhite, or Grady McKay and his mother and sister. Does this mean that they've all moved away from Odyssey too? What about Bernard, or Katrina? Did Bernard move to Florida like Dave Madden did? Did Eugene and Katrina suddenly decide to get a divorce, and she's back living with her mother in Chicago?

Why?

I guess when I said that they're ignoring the past, I'm not trying to say that Hands Up doesn't exist anymore, or that the Washington's moved or that katrina is never going to come back, (Plus I'm pretty sure she will be returning sometime soon) I'm not trying assume things happened that we don't know for sure did.

What I'm trying to say is that the ends of certain storylines are just being ignored. Tom probably isn't dead, but I doubt that anyone will talk about him anytime soon. The Washington's are gone now, but will they mention the fact that the Whit's end in Connelsville is still run by Ed, or will they just move on and ignore the fact that these people ever existed, or ignore the fact that Whit's end in Connelsville exists? Will the new theater managers come in, without any of the major characters even mentioning anything about what happened to Edwin and Shakepeare?

Again, I'm not trying to say that I hate Odyssey now or anything. I think it's still the same old show, but it's just the fact that certain events and characters are going to be treated like they never existed. And if that's true, then I'm agreeing with what others have said that we've basically been given a whole new series.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I agree completely with Laura on this, what on earth are you talking about David?
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

Interesting topic.

As always, I won't comment on this episode until I've heard the whole thing. But I will say I'm intrigued. I've got some theories about the Inspiration Station and what the lesson will eventually be, but I'll keep them to myself until next week. For me, it feels like an episode that fits right in with the old AIO. So much so that I can't really discern any big stylistic difference between the "old" AIO and the "new" AIO. 10 years from now, no one is going to really think that album 51 stands out as anything shockingly different than all of the albums before or since.

As for the relaunch... I feel like most of you have really short memories. Remember the relaunch after the last hiatus (volume 29)? ALL of the kid characters were gone with NO explanation whatsoever. Sure as heck it was annoying, but volumes 29-32 are probably my favorite in the canon now. Kids, and their families, always appear and dissapear out of nowhere. I know some people will disagree, but I just don't think characters, especially the kid characters and those related to them, dissappearing with no mention is new or particularly tragic.

The show has survived and thrived throughout extended absenses from two of the three main characters: Whit (albums 21-28) and Eugene (albums 35-44). Even if Bernard, Jack, Joanne, Bart, Dorris, and Tom never show up again, AIO has faced worse and come through with flying colors.

I know this has been covered before, but I expect we'll hear from Bernard every once in a great while, as we did from Edwin when the actor moved to Hawaii. Bernard won't be in every season, but that's not such a bad thing in the long run.

Jack will almost definitely be back, if for nothing else then for the next Passages episode, whenever it airs. Joanne hasn't been used well in years (probably album 41 was the last time she did anything worth hearing about), so if she doesn't come back I'm okay with that.

The Rathbones should have been dropped long, long ago.

Tom is the only character that really, really needs to be explained. But AIO has a lot of time for that. He's gone on a 30-episode hiatus before when he didn't appear in volume 23 or 24. He also took a 55 episode hiatus between albums 46 and 50. I figure he can have a 2-3 year absence before it really become noticeable, and at that point they could simply find a replacement for him.

I guess I'll join the chorus of people saying that I don't really understand the pessimism being expressed here. AIO will continue, there will be characters come and go, and there will even be fans come and go. It has always been the case. I know people who refuse to listen to anything past albums 20, those who won't listen to anything before album 21, those who won't listen to anything after album 32, and those who don't care for anything before volume 35. It's just the cycle of things. For me personally, I have my prefered time periods. I've even abandoned AIO for years at a time (albums 44-49, for example), but I always come back, listen to the shows I missed, and enjoy them.

At the very least, reserve judgement until you've listened to the entirety of the first season of the "new" Adventures in Odyssey.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

DanP740 is starting to sound like Pseudonym.... That's not a bad thing-- I just noticed it.
Gandalf wrote:He also took a 55 episode hiatus between albums 46 and 50. I figure he can have a 2-3 year absence before it really become noticeable, and at that point they could simply find a replacement for him.
"Simply find a replacement for him." Is it that easy to "find a replacement" for someone like Walker Edmiston who not only did two major characters, but he also did a host of other less-well-remembered voices?

The hype about the Imagination Station does seem pretty over-hyped, though. It doesn't sound cool. It sounds like a boring walk in a park... which is right beside Whit's End. Go take a real walk in the park like Matthew Parker (*sigh*. No pun intended at first.) Leave the holodeck for other things-- like "The Imagination Station" adventures!
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: