656 The Inspiration Station 2

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

Rate The Inspiration Station, Part II

5 stars: Excellent!
17%
4 stars: Great!
47%
3 stars: Just Average.
28%
2 stars: Disappointing.
8%
1 star: Poor.
No votes

Total votes: 36

SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

I liked this episode almost as much as the first one. I love the Inspiration Station. It's my new favorite invention, although I'm not sure how Whit found the time to build it and the new Imagination Station at the same time. Maybe he'll combine the two in the future?
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Yep. I'll have to agree with most of us. It was a decent episode. I'd rate it about the same as part one.

In the Inspiration Station with Matthew, Mortimer tells the story of Whit messing with the clock and then getting the idea to make inventions that showed different parts in history and stuff. Is this supposed to be a reference to Back to The Future, because for some reason that's what it reminded me of; Doc on the clock tower, trying to create the lightning rod that would power his time machine.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

Andre's voice is just lovely. He has Herlinger and Smith's voice combined, yet with his own style added, although there is a bit more Smith in his tone. Some lines Andre speaks sound so much like Hal, I forget I'm listening to a newer episode. =]
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Wasn't too bad of an episode. Whit still isn't Whit.... Isn't Mortimer that guy from that Lamplighter Theatre or something?

Also, I heard that mini-episode thing or whatever, and people are right. Wooton was... not.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

DanP740 wrote: Isn't Mortimer that guy from that Lamplighter Theatre or something?
Jess Harnell does play Finnian Jones on Lamplighter, so Mortimer did sound familiar. That scene did sound like Lamplighter.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

I liked it. Especially the classic Eugene and Connie moments. :D I'm still not quite sure about the Inspiration Station, but that's usual for me; I'm often unimpressed with the inventions in AIO.
I think I'll be able to adjust to Andre's voice quickly; his playing the character already sounds fairly natural to me.
Laurie wrote:
DanP740 wrote: Isn't Mortimer that guy from that Lamplighter Theatre or something?
Jess Harnell does play Finnian Jones on Lamplighter, so Mortimer did sound familiar. That scene did sound like Lamplighter.
Yeah, that scene definitely reminded me of Lamplighter.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I loved this episode! I didn't like the first part, it felt a little bit awkward or something. But part two, it was brilliant. I felt inspired just listening to it. It was funny and exciting, the music was magical and the characters were lovable, just like Odyssey should be. I really liked Mortimer too. :)

Maybe it's just me... 5/5.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Dallas R. wrote:Is this supposed to be a reference to Back to The Future, because for some reason that's what it reminded me of; Doc on the clock tower, trying to create the lightning rod that would power his time machine.
Eh, maybe losely in mentioning a clock tower, but Doc had the vision for his flux capacitor when he fell off his toilet while hanging a clock. ;) The clock tower scene of the film had nothing to do with creating anything.

Anyway, great job by the actors once again. I was worried as the episode started that we were having a relapse of "A Touch of Healing" with Connie being weird and sneaking into the machine, but that resolved itself quickly I suppose. I thought it was kind of weird that as soon as Connie was out practically, Whit threw a kid in there, after Connie was having weird psycho withdrawal from the machine. Not really the typical overly cautious (when it comes to kids) Whit. I just thought that seemed out of place. Otherwise though it was a fine episode.

I actually really like Mortimer, too. I despise Wooten because he is supposed to be a real person but acts like he belongs in a cartoon or something. Mortimer can be as crazy as needed because he is just an invention from Whit to help teach kids a lesson or whatever.
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Anyone want to write a summary again? :anxious:
Dallas R.

Post by Dallas R. »

The Top Crusader wrote:
Dallas R. wrote:Is this supposed to be a reference to Back to The Future, because for some reason that's what it reminded me of; Doc on the clock tower, trying to create the lightning rod that would power his time machine.
Eh, maybe losely in mentioning a clock tower, but Doc had the vision for his flux capacitor when he fell off his toilet while hanging a clock. ;) The clock tower scene of the film had nothing to do with creating anything.
Yeah, I know that Whit's scene isn't all that much like Doc's, but that's the scene that came to mind when Mortimer was talking about it. And both characters are 'eccentric-inventor' types. Even if this isn't in any way a reference, I'm surprised they haven't had any other references to this before.

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

The animated series clocktower scene was a little more along the lines... they borrowed the music cue when Dylan fell off from Back to the Future. \:D/
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

31899 wrote:I was thinking the other day though and now that there is no Grady, Wooton has sort of lost his purpose in AIO.

What? Wooton's been in 33 episodes and only 7 of those had Grady. There's much more to his character than what is only applicable to Grady.

Another observation; this episode has elements of A Touch of Healing, Whit's Flop, The Potential in Elliot and Something Significant.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

The main point of Wooton, in the past 4-6 albums was about bringing Grady to Christ.

profg11
29K to go!

Post by profg11 »

American Eagle wrote:
31899 wrote:I was thinking the other day though and now that there is no Grady, Wooton has sort of lost his purpose in AIO.

No, I don't think so. Apart from Bernard, Rodney or Jared, he's one of the funniest characters the show has ever had. (Most younger kids would undoubtedly agree.) I am wondering what epsisodes he'll appear in, though; he isn't mentioned in any of the episode summaries on AIOWiki. :-k I'm really hoping to see him again soon.
I think the guy who plays Wooton played that book guy in the inspiration station - it seems no matter what he plays he is funny! =)
Later,
Jordan

See my new video here:
http://alturl.com/q3zw

Google.com http://alturl.com/m72z

My website:
http://www.jordangreene.us/
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Yes, Jess Harnell plays Wooton and that Mortimer guy...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
profg11
29K to go!

Post by profg11 »

DanP740 wrote:Yes, Jess Harnell plays Wooton and that Mortimer guy...
lol - thought so --- thats awesome! =)
Later,
Jordan

See my new video here:

My website:
Dallas R.

Post by Dallas R. »

The Top Crusader wrote:The animated series clocktower scene was a little more along the lines... they borrowed the music cue when Dylan fell off from Back to the Future. \:D/
Cool! I guess I'll have to watch it again some time, though like most of us it's somewhat painful to try watching most of the old movies.

profg11
29K to go!

Post by profg11 »

Dallas R. wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:The animated series clocktower scene was a little more along the lines... they borrowed the music cue when Dylan fell off from Back to the Future. \:D/
Cool! I guess I'll have to watch it again some time, though like most of us it's somewhat painful to try watching most of the old movies.
so true!
Later,
Jordan

See my new video here:

My website:
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Thoughts:
  • The Inspiration Station I and II had a classic feel. Whit teaches kid a lesson. Connie learns a lesson. Eugene is geeky. The two-parter was reminiscent of Whit's Flop (Whit encourages a kid who has given up) and A Touch of Healing (Character relapses) as Top mentioned.
  • As King Butter Turtle mentioned, I also thought the show had a Truth Chronicles feel, mostly because of the Mortimer character in the Inspiration Station. Jonathan expressed his desire for more clarity on the Whit's new invention and the red button; I would agree. I concur with Mandy Straussberg that the rest of the season will likely help.
  • Zach Callison did a great job acting as Matthew Parker! It's great to have another inventive mind in Odyssey. I'm looking forward to hearing him as a gumshow with Emily Jones. By the way, I just Googled "Zach Callison" to find out he was a kid in one Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader? show, haha.
  • Mr. and Mrs. Parker were good as well. Nothing about Olivia and Camilla stood out to me, but then again this episode wasn't about them; I look forward to hearing episodes with each of the sisters in the limelight.
  • I've no qualms about Andre; he's great! I'm conscious of the difference but cool with it.
  • I LOVED how the fan clips about how Connie inspires everyone were used!
To sum up, The Inspiration Station was a good introduction to AIO, the new season, a new family, and a new invention. I look forward to the rest of the season.
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

I really enjoyed this episode! It's not up there with "The Imagination Station" or "Malachi's Message", but it was good. Was it just me, or was it a bit confusing what the Inspiration Station actually did? What was the world like inside it? I take it that Connie didn't spend nine hours inside Mortimer's library, as much fun as that would be.

Yes, the clips were great and really cute! I especially enjoyed the ones that were "set inside Odyssey" like the kid saying that Connie helped him when he fell off his bike.

I also liked Andre. No, he isn't Paul or Hal, but I could really get used to him. He is totally his own person, but he still seems like Whit. Was he on some weird ADD causing medication on Darien's Rise or something?

It was nice to see good old Odyssey with Eugene being normal, Whit giving advice, and normal kids. Although.....Matthew Parker sounds a bit too much like Trent DeWhite for my tastes.