657: Clutter

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What'd you think of the episode?

5 stars: I loved it!
15%
4 stars: I liked it.
53%
3 stars: I thought it was OK.
26%
2 stars: I didn't really like it.
3%
1 star: I strongly disliked it.
3%

Total votes: 34

Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

Haha, yeah it never really bothered me, but I guess you're right. The Barclays had 3 kids eventually, and so did the Mulligans if you count foster kids. Were those the only two?

But yeah, it seems like having 3 kids will definitely give the Parkers a different dynamic than most of the other Odyssey families.
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Washingtons, if you count Xavier. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

Oh yeah, I forgot about Xavier.
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

They also had Kelly and Antoine, although we never actually heard from him.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

A strong, enjoyable slice-of-life episode, and, again, very relatable, as this summer I've been working on reducing my own clutter, and have had several conversations with my family on the subject that aren't too dissimilar from some of the dialogue here. Perhaps there could've been more of an emphasis on not buying so much stuff in the first place (oh, our consumerist culture) ... but I guess the episode doesn't have to mirror what's on my mind in every way. ;)

It was fun getting to know the characters and listening to them interact (particularly the parents on both counts, though the entire family has good chemistry). I was also pleasantly surprised at how engaging the episode was considering that it all took place at the Parkers' house. The theme was similar to "Treasures of the Heart," but the Parkers definitely made the episode their own.

Nice cameo appearances from Red and Whit ... and the fact that Olivia is played by an adult really doesn't bother me.

3.5 or 4 stars.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

So I finally got to hear this episode, since I didn't really when it first aired. Wasn't... too bad, but not that great. And wow, the girls' voices annoy me... they sound way to fake. And the thing with the sprinklers coming on seems a little cliche... >_>
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Here's my review:

I overall really liked this episode. Throughout the episode there was great chemistry between characters. There were several specific things that I wanted to mention about this episode.

I like the character Red. He was a great, original, corky neighbor character. I didn't like him much at first, but he grew on me and even made me laugh once or twice. (Which, by the way, is not hard to do when it comes to Odyssey.)

I especially like the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Parker. They reminded me a lot of the Barclay parents. I liked how they continually called each other "Mr. Parker" or "Mrs. Parker". My mom and dad don't usually call each other by their first names either. The only problem I had was that the Spanish-speaking by Mrs. Parker struck me as a bit odd for Odyssey. As far as I can remember, we've not yet heard any Spanish-speaking characters. At least not as a regular character. I know we heard some of it back in The Cross of Cortez. But I can't remember any times other than that.

I really liked the father-son conversations between David and Matthew. They sounded very genuine, like a father talking to his son. I appreciated how we continued to see the inventive side of Matthew. His invention was...interesting.

Olivia Parker wore on me a little in this episode. She didn't sound nearly as much like a 38-year-old as in The Inspiration Station Part 1. The chemistry between her and Camilla in the quarreling scenes was very good.

I appreciated the fact that Camilla's athletic abilities were introduced and that she values soccer and other sports above more girly things (such as Barbarina dolls). This explains the team's choice of an actress who sounds more like a tomboy. Hopefully we'll see more of her athletic side in episodes to come. Maybe even a sports-related episode or two. (Hint-Hint)

This episode reminded me of early Odyssey and the more family-centered, learning episodes.

At some points, the dialogue was such that it seemed like the Odyssey writers had placed a recording device in my house when Mom tells us to go through our stuff and decide what to give away to charity.

Out of ten stars, I give this episode an 8.5.