657: Clutter

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What'd you think of the episode?

5 stars: I loved it!
15%
4 stars: I liked it.
53%
3 stars: I thought it was OK.
26%
2 stars: I didn't really like it.
3%
1 star: I strongly disliked it.
3%

Total votes: 34

Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

657: Clutter

Post by Nasri »

Hi Please post your opinon.

Check out my newspaper To0 Star
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

The link isn't working and neither is the player at the moment so I figured I would remedy the situation.

When the proper link is up then I will fix it.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

HOW DARE THEY USE MY NAME IN VAIN!? :x

But thanks for the link. >_> I just realized I listened to it online exactly when it was played on my local station. >_>
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

FOTF's player has been updated and is working for those who prefer listening there.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I thought it was a good episode--clutter can be difficult to handle, specifically around the junkya--I mean, my house. It was good to hear an episode about it. And I don't think I would have given the cash to charity--I would have run out and bought an iTouch. Technically, there's a lesson on generosity thrown in there.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Excellent episode, good very relevant lesson. I know from recent experience that clutter can and does take over. A couple of things that are bugging me: First, the music between scenes is rather annoying as it seems to go on for longer than is really necessary. Second is Olivia, I like her but she doesn't sound eleven enough for me. She comes across very whiny. You can tell that an adult is doing her voice. Other than those two points, 4.5/5
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

You can listen here:

rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

Hey! They stole my idea of a bobble-head doll of Millard Fillmore! (Fillmore is an obscure US President). :shock:

One of the characters in one of my Sammy Marlo stories that I wrote a few years ago had a bobble-head doll of Millard Fillmore.

Of course they say that great minds think alike. \:D/
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Main Thoughts
  • I thought it was good. It reminded me of when the Barclays had a garage sale in Treasures of the Heart.
The Parkers
  • I think I'm really going to like the Parkers. This episode made them seem very real and fun. I knew they had potential and now am assured that they will be a good addition. I think a Parker specific episode (without Connie/Eugene/Whit's End)(similar to the classic Barclay episodes) was a good way to get to know them.
  • I did notice that they spontaneously gathered again. It seems some sort of device like the Barclays' family meetings would be useful. It could be something as simple as family dinners.
Red Hollard
  • I'm excited to find out more about this character. He sounds like a cross between Tom and Bernard. I found his Bernard-like similes to be amusing but, he was a little over-the-top red neck, if you know what I mean.
Whit's End
  • Whit's End will have a train set now. :shock:
Rating
  • 4/5 Stars
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Phew, after Chris mentioned the online devotionals and the website and all, I thought she might not mention the classic snailmail address. :anxious:

Overall, I'd say it was onpar with the two Inspiration Stations. It was good because I'm getting used to the Parkers, and can easily recognize each of their voices now. I only laughed once, and no, it wasn't at Red Holland. ;) Not sure I'll like that character much. He's rather annoying, and I'm still hoping for Bernard in album 52. :D

Overall, a good episode. 3/5 stars.
Last edited by American Eagle on Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

31899's notes
Red seems to be a Bernard Wooton cross. I think he is supposed to be the Bernard replacement unfortunately.

It just doesn't work when they get adult actors to act kids. It's all I can think about when they are talking making it very difficult to enjoy the episode.

Whit was worse in this episode. He still needs lots of work. If Mr. Parker hadn't said "Hi Whit" I wouldn't have known it was Whit he was talking to Whit.

Children arguing was much better.

I thought this episode was going to have a double meaning.

Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I was looking forward to this episode for two reasons. First, it wasn't written by Paul. Last week, and the week before, I attributed the "feel" to Paul, for there are few that know it better. Second of all, when I read the description for this episode the first thing I thought of was episode 219. Granted, none of the writers from that time period are still around, but I was still interested in seeing whether this episode would be receiving it's own story.

Boy did it.

For the first slice of life episode post-hiatus it was incredibly relatable. I'm dealing with my own issues right now, both at home and at work, so I know where they are coming from (and I didn't learn the lesson of negotiation such problems from the Parkers, for when we get a dumpster again at work I'll borrow my co-workers principle of "do it now and if the boss doesn't like it beg for mercy later").

The oldest--was it Olivia? I don't have the kids real straight yet--was also incredibly relatable. Speaking as an oldest I said some of those same things, made the same arguments, and got the exact same rebukes. Brilliant. I don't know if I've had a moment in Odyssey where I've related more to a child character than there.

Whit sounded more like Whit. Perhaps that was because he had one scene and I didn't have time to really identify the differences, but it was better this time around.

And now I understand what people meant when they said Olivia doesn't sound like a kid. But I'll let that go because 1. I've said in the past we shouldn't get too hung up on voices and I've been a hypocrite enough times already and 2. I really wasn't noticing it by the end of the episode.

I really am enjoying Mr. and Mrs. Parker (was it David and Eva? Again, I'm still working on names here). Particualarly David. Pleny of moments to smile about here, and those two actors play off each other well.

And lastly, this episode definitely stands on it's own apart from the aforementioned episode. I've always maintained we shouldn't compare new familys to the Barclay's, and I still believe that, but I was afraid it would be hard this time around. It wasn't.

Overall, I'm really beginning to enjoy the Parkers. For the first slice-of-life episode since the hiatus, it was very, very strong. If this is what we get to place The Inspiration Station in context, it's up against some tough competition. Prelimanary rating, 4/5. Well done Mr.s Hoose and Deihl.
Last edited by Jonathan on Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Clutter:

After being nearly mauled by the junk in his own garage, David Parker declares that it's time for a yard sale. Will the Parker family survive parting with their treasures?

First off, Red Hollard. He sounds rather amazing. But he owns the Harlequin? Way-out!

The Parker Family, now that I know more about them, sound rather interesting. Eva (though With pronounces her name, Ava; I don't know why) is such a nice and calm person. I like it when David comes to take her stuff (the remote control and stuff like that), she told him to back off!

The Parker Kids were great; I guess I can get accoustomed to Olivia, but I love Camilla. I also like the line (I forgot which one said it): Dad, can you please send this girl to wherever you picked her up?!, when the two of them were fighting.

We learned a valuable lesson about storing up clutter, and I'm glad everything worked out in the end. So, in short, I give this is 5/5 rating, or 9.5/10.

What are your thoughts?

Marvin
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Marvin D. wrote:

The Parker Kids were great; I guess I can get accoustomed to Olivia, but I love Camilla. I also like the line (I forgot which one said it): Dad, can you please send this girl to wherever you picked her up?!, when the two of them were fighting.
That was Olivia. Yet another variation on the classic annoyed older sibling to parent line.
Last edited by Laurie on Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Thanks, Laurie. Yes...that was hilarious. I laughed out loud.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

Marvin D. wrote:The Parker Family, now that I know more about them, sound rather interesting. Eva (though With pronounces her name, Ava; I don't know why) is such a nice and calm person.
That's the proper pronunciation of a Spanish language name (I'm not sure where she's supposed to be from, exactly) spelled 'Eva'. (Like Eva Perón in the musical Evita . . . and in history . . .)

Unlike Jonathan, I found it extremely difficult to not compare this episode with the Barclay episode. (Though maybe it's because I just listened to that episode last week.) And, again, unlike Jonathan, I felt like the interaction between David and Eva was kind of strained. But I just haven't really warmed up to Eva's voice at all yet.

I really liked their overall chemistry as a family, but I still sort of tune out whenever Eva or Olivia are in a scene. I know I like David and Matthew, but I still just haven't found anything appealing about Eva or Olivia. I don't really feel like Camilla's had enough of a part to play to feel one way or the other about her.

Overall, I thought it was an enjoyable episode, but nothing terribly new or exciting. Just about average. 3/5

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Marvin D. wrote:Thanks, Laurie. Yes...that was hilarious. I laughed out loud.
You are welcome!! Glad I could help.
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

I keep thinking that Olivia is 13 or 14 and am having a difficult time telling the two girls apart.
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

I thought this was a better episode than "The Inspiration Station." The Parker family was actually quite likeable, and there were a number of funny moments that weren't goofy or cheesy. Just a nice, simple slice-of-life story that probably won't be memorable but still is entertaining enough.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Please note that two threads have been merged in this topic, since they were both started early this morning, with one in Whit's End and one in the Episode Reviews subforum. Review threads should be created in Whit's End so that they are more easily visible to all, and at the end of the week an admin will move the thread to the Episode Reviews subforum for archiving (with new posts still being possible as well), as per our traditional proceedings. :) Please check for an existing thread before creating your own review thread for a new episode. Thanks in advance for your future co-operation in this area.

(I'm loading the episode now so I can listen to it!) \:D/