658: Game for a Mystery

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of Game for a Mystery?

Five - Fantastic!
15%
Four - Great!
12%
Three - Good.
37%
Two - Poor.
32%
One - Awful!
5%

Total votes: 41

Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

I miss Zapazoids
I don't. Most games don't last 20 years.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Moontide wrote:
I miss Zapazoids
I don't. Most games don't last 20 years.
Um Mario anyone? ;)
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

Um Mario anyone? ;)
True, But I said most not all.
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

Gosh, I must be out of whack the majority here. I actually like this episode (for what it was). Sure, it's not one that's going to make anyone's top 5 list, but it wasn't a bad slice-of-life, introduction to the Jones family.

Reminded me a lot of "Heatwave"...

The solution was a bit strange, but not stranger or more stupid than "Broken Window" or other past Odyssey mysteries ("Heatwave", "The Case of the Candid Camera", "Mystery at Tin Flat", and "Sounds Like a Mystery" come to mind, but I'm sure there are more).

I can echo some of the previous complains though.

1) Actors do resemble each other a bit too much. Are we really going to be able to differentiate Emily from Olivia? I'm not sure...
2) The story was badly advertised. There was no way of solving the mystery before the characters.
3) Deluge of new characters doesn't work so well... When 2/3 of the cast is completely new to the show, that's a bit rough. (Now that I write this, I think back to "Family Vacation" and how that featured only one character that we already knew, yet the show and the Barclays are classics now.)
4) One thing that no one mentioned is that I'm becoming concerned about how childish the new season really is. Not that any of these shows are bad, per se, but they certainly don't appeal that much to the mature audience. Let's hope at least some of the album 51 episodes find some way to appeal to older listeners.
ummm
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by ummm »

This season has some good zingers. I think David Parker and Barrett have had the best ones so far.

David Parker - "wawawawa ok thank you what no what weird."

Barrett - "thank your for the nature walk.." "so long. thanks for the distraction."

Matthew - "sometimes i can almost feel my brain flex."

By the way, what about Jared and Dwayne playing GLOOBERS!? That game was way cooler than Zapazoids.
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

And what's with Barret? He seems to only have one volume...loud. In a whiny, over the top sort of way. Ugh.
I agree, he really got on my nerves, so did Mr. Parker!

Are we really going to be able to differentiate Emily from Olivia? I'm not sure...
Rats you took the words out of my mouth. :)

Over all I gave this 2/5, it was a disappointing episode for me.
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Sam15
Gold Member

Post by Sam15 »

I agree with you Sapphire.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I found the episode hard to follow, but on the bright side I really like Emily! She's authoritative and smart, and I hear she learns a lesson in humility later this season.
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

Taq wrote:I really like Emily! She's authoritative and smart.....
I agree! She is a good character, however I think the she sounds too much like Olivia Parker.
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I laughed at Barret's line: "Yes! I did it! Yes! No, wait, I didn't get it. Yes! I got it!"

:lol: Straight out of my life.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I don't like Emily's voice. In my opinion, a character like hers with a personality very different from your typical 10-year-old needs to be played by a kid actor, to make those adult-like attributes more relatable and accessible. It just didn't work for me. I enjoyed the rest of the characters, though, and am looking forward to hearing more from Mrs. Jones. This isn't an episode, however, that I'll be listening to again for a long time: a rather humdrum mystery without much intrigue, and it didn't even have much humor (that really stood out to me, at least) to spice it up. My favorite part was Chris' wrap at the end -- loved the adjectives given to the Odyssey crew! :lol:
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Chris's wrap-up was pretty cool!

Emily...I don't know, she just seems like a character that's going to get on my nerves after a while. I mean, sure, she's authoritative and smart, but she's just a little too much so. I hardly think that there are that many ten-year-olds who "can't help but notice the imprints on [people's] thumbs." This was supposed to be a slice-of-life. In slice-of-life shows, aren't most of the kids supposed to have the maturity and intelligence for their age?

And what on earth was with Barret's voice? I listened to this while drawing and I was about to smack my forehead on my desk. I mean, I have a tendency to talk loudly, but I don't talk that loud and over the top on a regular basis (the over the top part I don't do on a basis, period). No one puts that much work into normal speaking, and it really ticked me off. It sounded really (over) acted and cheesy.

...Yeah, I think Chris's wrap-up was the best part of this thing.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

TigerintheShadows wrote:And what on earth was with Barret's voice? I listened to this while drawing and I was about to smack my forehead on my desk. I mean, I have a tendency to talk loudly, but I don't talk that loud and over the top on a regular basis (the over the top part I don't do on a basis, period). No one puts that much work into normal speaking, and it really ticked me off. It sounded really (over) acted and cheesy.
Yeah... his overacting is one of the reasons why I can't stand this episode.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
TigerintheShadows

Whenever I listen to it at night I feel like his voice is going to wake up the entire neighborhood or something.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

lol, yeah. I haven't listened to it since the day it aired, although I listened to it a couple times that day. (I tried once since then, but ended up stopping in the middle).
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Josiah
Tallying up

Post by Josiah »

I liked this episode. It was really funny to listen to!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Barrett seriously doesn't shut up! :mad: He is officially my least-liked new character of Album 51. "Sherlock Einstein" is one of the most annoying lines ever. Every single thing he says is LOUD! The story is boring, the moral is average, the characters aren't impressive. Nelson is my favorite part of the episode.

D+
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Barrett is WAY too loud. SHUT UP, KIDDO!! :x It was an interesting mystery, yup. I've heard it twice, but it's not my favorite Parker or Jones story. :noway: Rating? 6/10
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
EMBEE
I've been working out

Post by EMBEE »

I finally listened to (most of) this one again yesterday, and seriously, Barrett is so irritating!
TigerintheShadows

I listened to it yesterday evening. I always feel like someone's going to tell me to turn down the radio whenever Barrett talked. "Alright. FINE! YES! I WAS playing Verminoids. But after I got back from our little field trip, it was GONE! DO YOU HEAR ME? IT'S GONE!! *insert more chewing of the scenery here*
AIO tumblr sideblog