660: For the Birds

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of the episode?

5 stars: Two thumbs way up!
13%
4 stars: A good episode!
54%
3 stars: Average.
29%
2 stars: So-so.
4%
1 star: Was not a fan.
No votes

Total votes: 24

Bob Booth
OK

660: For the Birds

Post by Bob Booth »

So episode 660, For the Birds, is up!

Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Well, if...

Inspiration Station 1+2: B+
Target of the Week: B+
Clutter: B
Game for a Mystery: D-

...Then this episode would be a C+ or B-

There are a few nice scenes in this episode, but it was probably not at the standard I would want it to be. The episode seemed to be, like last week, going back and forth multiple themes: Curses, Responsibility, why should we play, God's will--just a host of different lessons thrown together. Eugene being chased by birds is something I would see used on "rejected storyline ideas" list. Again, there are a few good moments and it has its strengths. But there were way too many weaknesses --even when taking into consideration the age level they were perhaps going for--I do recognize this episode's target audience is "8" year olds in the "8 and above" range.

Next week we have another "Kirby Atkins" episode with an Emily Jones and Barret. I must say, I have low expectations with the episode. On the other hand, it IS directed by Dave Arnold--who has had a decent track record directing this season so far.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just got my copy of album 51 yesterday (yay!) so I listened to this episode on my way to work today so I could save myself the effort of loading it tonight! I really enjoyed it - it was another great story that could happen to any normal family in a variety of locations. I really liked the emphasis on prayer, but also how praying doesn't mean that we'll get exactly what we want, since sometimes God has other plans. The storyline with Connie and Eugene providing the cover of "Take it from the Top" was fun and provided some comic relief from the baby blue jay story, though there definitely were humourous moments within the family storyline as well. It wasn't perhaps the most realistic thing ever, but hey, what do I know about birds coveting Eugene's hair? ;) Maybe it happens all the time! Wooton was nicely used. I liked the family consensus on how they didn't understand the connection between the meaning of Dexter in Latin and how it applied to his moose being given that name. :lol: I love Wooton, and he fit in well without going too overboard on the goofy side, which is what I think he sometimes receives criticism for.

Overall, this was another solid episode that a lot of families will relate to and enjoy again and again! :D Plus Chris was funny at the end. On the CD they had a little blooper bonus from Chris's wrap-up. It was short but amusing. \:D/

Oops, Bennett posted while I was posting. I think I had a higher opinion of the episode than him, but I'm not being quite as analytical, either. It wasn't the best episode ever, but it was good, and I really do think that while it is aimed at kids, there will be parents who are nodding along in sympathy for the poor parents, since they've heard the pleas for pets and gone through similar situations with their own kids. It's the kind of episode a family could enjoy together and relate to together. Maybe us middle-range young adults without kids don't relate quite as much, but think back a few years, or look a few years into the future. ;)
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Before reading any one else's opinion (no groupthink here!), here are my thoughts:
  • I like Susie's voice, and good to get to know Camilla.
  • Wooton was good again.
  • The whole episode was a bit far-fetched, but still pretty fun.
  • I loved Camilla's scream when she saw Eugene's (lack of) hair. \:D/
Overall, I liked it. Not as much as Target of the Week, but still pretty good. 4/5 stars.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I really liked this episode. I loved that Wooton was in it. I am glad that we got to get to know more about Camilla and the rest of the Parker family. I loved the father and daughter talk. Eugene getting rid of his hair was hilarious. I give this episode 4 out of 5 stars.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

I liked it on the most part. It was good and had some good moments. And she didnt get a dog at the end, like "typical hollywood Ending." She learned some stuff. And we see why Connie cut Eugene's hair.

One Complaint. Matthew's "suicide pact" line. As someone very sensitive to that right now, and seeing a sad story earlier this year, I wish they hadnt included that.

I am warming up to the new Whit, and it was good to see him, Connie, and Eugene. And I like the Parker family.

I am a big fan of AIO, but I am not Jave Griffin or have ever been on AIO. I am just a huge fan of AIO and Jimmy Barclay. I love Odyssey, and Jimmy rules.
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

5 / 5

For some reason I was reminded of In Memory of Herman (FP). :-k
Last edited by Irwin on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I thought that this show was actually pretty good. I think I'm starting to get used to, and like the new family! I still haven't adjusted to Whit's voice, but I'm sure that I will in time.
4/5 from me! :)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I really enjoyed this episode. There was a lot of typical Odyssey humor and I'm really starting to like the Parker family. It had a good lesson that I think a lot of parents and kids will relate to. 5/5
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I thought it was kind of odd they were proclaiming "No such things as curses!!" when they've had occultic-y episodes in the past. >_> Plus weren't there curses in the Bible?
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

The Top Crusader wrote:I thought it was kind of odd they were proclaiming "No such things as curses!!" when they've had occultic-y episodes in the past. >_> Plus weren't there curses in the Bible?
If you listen carefully, Whit said "there's no such thing as the kind of curses you're talking about."

I thought this ep was okay. 3.5 stars, rounding to 4.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Main Thoughts
  • It was good. It was a good storyline with some funny lines. But, it was also, nothing to go crazy over, with several flaws.
Storyline
  • O.k., so what's going on with Odyssey's birds? They expect us to believe that they're just going crazy attacking certain people because of their hair? That's just, uh... really weird. :anxious:
  • The Eugene/Connie part was very shallow, very similar to the Wooton/Whit part last week. It's like half way between a two storyline episode and sprinkling a reoccurring idea for comic relief. I don't like it at all. It seemed like about 70/30 where I was into Camilla's story but, I wasn't into Eugene's problem. It did develop but, it just didn't work. It was almost like a split episode. I would have liked to see (err... hear :anxious: ) Eugene investigate the problem much more in depth, which leads me to my next point...
Eugene
  • The Eugene that I know doesn't just shave his head when he's randomly attacked by birds. Why didn't he set aside an afternoon to read every book on birds he could find, send video to an expert at Campbell College (Since the founder was an ornithologist, [see Truth, Trivia and 'Trina] I would expect the ornithology department to be very good.), or do research on the habits of various species, taking detailed notes, before self-diagnosing, "they like my hair". He was completely out-of-character.
  • Did Eugene seriously say "baby-making season"? Is "reproductive" more inappropriate or something?

I couldn't believe my auditory cavities when I heard Eugene speak in such an irregular manner.

^That's how Eugene is supposed to talk.
Credits
  • I liked the Jonathan Crowe thing. :lol:
  • Who did that Will Ryan guy play? :mad: Apparently, they've worked out a new contract or something.
Rating
  • 4/5
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

I thought the birds-attacking-Eugene thing was pretty dumb. Just unrealistic. And yeah, Eugene's use of "baby-making season" cracked me up. Overall though, I'm enjoying the return of WalkingTextbook!Eugene. I thought they made him a little too "human" and ignored his braininess in the last few albums.

But my favorite part:

"I wanted to name him Dr. Who, but I think that's trademarked." =D>

One of the writers is obviously a sci-fi fan. (See references to The X-Files in other episodes.)
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

Overall, this was a pretty decent episode. The opening scene was quite fun and engaging, and the story played out nicely. I did think it was quite drastic for Eugene to get his hair cut so quickly. The whole Eugene subplot felt a little contrived. However, I enjoyed the Camilla plot, as it was a relevant lesson that many families can relate to. I also enjoyed the little funny moments in this episode. And Chris's bird talk at the end was quite funny. :) While this episode certainly wasn't as good as Target of the Week and not quite as good as Clutter, I think it deserves 3.5 stars.
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

Crazy 4 Pugs wrote: But my favorite part:

"I wanted to name him Dr. Who, but I think that's trademarked." =D>

One of the writers is obviously a sci-fi fan. (See references to The X-Files in other episodes.)
That was my favorite part, too. I just happened to be talking to a friend about Dr. Who today, so it fit perfectly.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I hoping that Eugene would shave his head to give the birds a nest, not to prevent them from nesting. Oh well! I concur with the general consensus that the Eugene plotline was unrealistic. HOWEVER, I absolutely loved Camilla's story. Asking for pets is something very realistic (My younger siblings have recently asked for a dog!), and like American Eagle I really enjoyed getting to know Camilla! She acted well and felt like (was) a genuine kid. Furthermore, Wootton is doing well as a minor character. ;)
The Top Crusader wrote:I thought it was kind of odd they were proclaiming "No such things as curses!!" when they've had occultic-y episodes in the past. >_> Plus weren't there curses in the Bible?
Yes, curses are real. Jesus verbally cursed a fig tree and it withered! Stronger than thinking it was "odd," I thought for a sec that I was going to have to disagree with Whit. He said emphatically, "There's no such thing as curses!" and thankfully followed it up with, "no, not the way you mean it," as EMBEE mentioned. The first emphatic statement alone turned heads, but Whit quickly clarified that he was just wanting the Parker kids to avoid misnaming something as they were. Ergo, I'm letting Whit off the hook this time. ;) (The dialogue is at ~13:16 if anyone wants to list again.)

To sum up, I agree with H Tide's rankings. For the Birds, a decent episdoe, is my third favorite of the season behind Target of the Week and Clutter in that order.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

He did accurately clarify immediately, but the theme that was pushed was "thar iz no such thang!!!!11"... and it would've been helpful if Whit clarified the difference between real and fake... :(
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I'll admit I gave a little groan when I first heard Eugene being attacked by the dove, thinking "Oh, no, pleeease don't let it be a case of 'birds are attacking, Connie cut my hair' ". Which it was.

Aside from that, it wasn't bad.
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

it would've been helpful if Whit clarified the difference between real and fake...
Agreed, but it was probably a situation that there's only so much they can pack into one episode. Just saying "There ARE real curses, but not like that one" would have required more explanation, which they probably just didn't have time for.
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

For the Birds wasn't a complete disappointment but came close for me.

First the story. I thought the over all lesson was good, but the part with Eugene...was way too much.

Second the characters. I am really liking Camilla, I think the actress is doing a great job portraying the character. I think Olivia was also a little better, but I still don't like the sound of an adult playing a kid... to polished. I am still getting used to Whit but it isn't bad. Wooten was better than the last one, and had a good role.

Third my rating. This episode was ok, but a little disappointing. Over all I am going to give it 3. Not to bad but not great.
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~