663 Finish What You...

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

Rate this episode!

Five Stars - Spectacular!
15%
Four Stars - Awesome!
30%
Three Stars - Great.
15%
Two Stars - Good.
37%
One Star - Awful!
4%

Total votes: 27

Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

663 Finish What You...

Post by Irwin »

Yay! \:D/

Except the mp3 tag doesn't seem to be working, so click here to listen on the official site! \:D/
Last edited by Irwin on Sat May 01, 2010 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I noticed that too. I thought it might just be me but I guess not.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Awesome! Just like last weak it was a great story with some funny lines and fit right in to the classic AIO feel. I love it! :D One flaw was that it kind of made it sound like she couldn't handle two activities at the same time. Obviously, it was assumed that she had other responsibilities as well but, apart from one line about setting the table, they weren't addressed, which kind of made it sound like just guitar lessons and a play were stressing her out. But, overall, it wasn't a big deal.

I love what they've done with the credits this season. They've made them worth listening to again, instead of what almost could have been one audio file they just put into every episode. Chris is such an incredible actress, it's fun to use her as a host with some character. It's not like when she lived in Odyssey and did the intros but, it's also not, "read these names as fast as you can". I think that's the third time this season Chris has made me laugh, which is quite impressive.

I love the cubits line! :hilarious:

5/5 stars! =D>
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

*yawn* Another boring slice-of-life episode. The only time I came close to laughing was each time Chris said "Finish What You..." and then stopped. Intentionally awkwardly funny. \:D/

I'm afraid I have a cafe of newfandom. :( It's slightly frustrating. I've grown up listening to Odyssey, but never realized new episodes were coming out. (I joined the ToO at the start of AIO's 2-year hiatus). Now that I'm following each episode's release, they sound boring, uninteresting and not Odyssey. I have hope though, because I really enjoyed Target of the Week! It was funny, had fantastic new characters and a plot that actually went somewhere. (Honestly, a kid loses his video game? Creating a love note to a girl Barret likes?)

In fairness, there are lame episodes in the old days too, but this season seems to be filled with it. *sigh* :(

3/5 again (Target of the Week was the only episode all season I haven't given this rating to)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Not the most exciting slice of life episode, but okay. 3/5 I'm thinking The Jubilee Singers will be better.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
NateMaxwell
My posts are revolutionary

Post by NateMaxwell »

I found a few things that made this episode a little annoying.

It almost sounds like a remake of "The No Factor". Connie takes on too much stuff, Goes Insane, and has to let some people down. Olivia takes on Two things that she doesnt know how to balance, Has a breakdown, And lets Connie down.

Also, In Real Life I hear enough Emotional Breakdowns, Having Olivia throw a Fit wasnt the greatest descision they could've made.

But Alas...No Matthew Parker, Yay!

2 Stars. I dont hate the episode but it is "Forgettable"
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I found this episode a bit odd. Since when was Eugene qualified to teach guitar? I also found the time frame slightly weird. It generally take time to learn an instrument. Also I am finding this entire album one family oriented, is anyone else? To be honest I think her parents were also stupid. They should know that you can't learn an instrument in a few weeks. I really didn't like this episode.

It goes with the inspiration station when it takes a 1/5

EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

31899 wrote:I found this episode a bit odd. Since when was Eugene qualified to teach guitar?
Personally, I've found that the only qualifications needed to be a music teacher is that you need to be good at your instrument and you need to have a love for playing it. I've known 16 and 17 year olds who taught piano and did a wonderful job at it.
31899 wrote:I also found the time frame slightly weird. It generally take time to learn an instrument.
Take it from me, I've learned a dozen or so instruments in my lifetime, and while there are some instruments that take a while to learn, the guitar is one that, if you practice as much as Olivia did, you'd be able to play simple songs such as the one that Olivia played at the end in that short a time. I learned guitar that fast.

A nice episode, nothing spectacular. 4/5 stars
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Crazy 4 Pugs

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

It almost sounds like a remake of "The No Factor".
That's exactly what I thought. Except it didn't really bother me, because "The No Factor' was, what, 15 years ago?

I must agree with those who said that Olivia probably wouldn't have learned that song in 2 weeks. Some people probably could, especially if they already play other instruments and have some musical background. But a kid with no prior music experience? Questionable. (In my opinion.) Plus, did she really practice that much? I got the impression that she was so busy that she didn't have time to practice the guitar or learn her lines for the play.

I'll also agree that guitar lessons and a play don't really seem like THAT much to take on.

Finally, am I the only one who finds Olivia a bit annoying? Honestly, it's probably because of her voice. But she strikes me as being kinda whiny/full of attitude sometimes.

And on a completely unrelated note, do we know the ages of the Parker kids? I know Camilla is the youngest, but which is oldest? For some reason, I think Olivia's the oldest, then Matthew, then Camilla. But I don't know if I actually heard that somewhere or if I'm just imagining things.
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Crazy 4 Pugs wrote:
And on a completely unrelated note, do we know the ages of the Parker kids? I know Camilla is the youngest, but which is oldest? For some reason, I think Olivia's the oldest, then Matthew, then Camilla. But I don't know if I actually heard that somewhere or if I'm just imagining things.
Olivia is 11
Matthew is 10
Camilla is 8

This is according to the insert from Album 51. Knowing Odyssey, this could change or have changed by now.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

So since when did Eugene play guitar? Also, he only said where to put one finger to play a G chord, when you need three fingers to play all six strings. Also, the standard G7 chord doesn't any more "dexterity" than regular old G...
Not too bad of an episode. Slightly just reminded me of an older episode where Connie kept making more commitments while not having time and needing to learn to say no...

4/5 for me.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Crazy 4 Pugs

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

Haha, yeah Dan, I kinda wondered about that. I don't remember learning any one-finger G chords. Unless she had already placed her other fingers and he was just telling her where to put the last one, since it would be pretty boring to listen to a 5 minute explanation of how to play a G chord.

And thanks Laurie, that was kinda what I was thinking, but I couldn't remember.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Crazy 4 Pugs wrote:Haha, yeah Dan, I kinda wondered about that. I don't remember learning any one-finger G chords. Unless she had already placed her other fingers and he was just telling her where to put the last one, since it would be pretty boring to listen to a 5 minute explanation of how to play a G chord.

And thanks Laurie, that was kinda what I was thinking, but I couldn't remember.
Not a problem, happy to help!! :D
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Well, it could be a one finger G chord if she only played the top 4 strings, but six strings sounds better...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

EMBEE wrote:
31899 wrote:I found this episode a bit odd. Since when was Eugene qualified to teach guitar?
Personally, I've found that the only qualifications needed to be a music teacher is that you need to be good at your instrument and you need to have a love for playing it. I've known 16 and 17 year olds who taught piano and did a wonderful job at it.
Doesn't the US have their own version of The Royal Conservatory of Music that has created national standards or anything? Also being good and/or having a love for something does not qualify someone for something.
EMBEE wrote:
31899 wrote:I also found the time frame slightly weird. It generally take time to learn an instrument.
Take it from me, I've learned a dozen or so instruments in my lifetime, and while there are some instruments that take a while to learn, the guitar is one that, if you practice as much as Olivia did, you'd be able to play simple songs such as the one that Olivia played at the end in that short a time. I learned guitar that fast.
To learn an instrument and to learn an instrument well are two different things. Though I do admit the guitar is an easier instrument to learn then other intruments I still think this episode is about as realistic as August Rush

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

31899 wrote:
EMBEE wrote:
Doesn't the US have their own version of The Royal Conservatory of Music that has created national standards or anything? Also being good and/or having a love for something does not qualify someone for something.
You don't have to have be "approved" to help someone learn an instrument, at least in the United States. (You might need a license or something to run a music studio or something, but I highly doubt helping a friend requires anything.) My brother-in-law teaches a 10-ish year old boy the guitar, and my sister teachers an 8-ish year old girl the piano.

Also, if I hated the piano and couldn't play it to say my life, pretty sure I wouldn't be teaching it. ;)

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Crazy 4 Pugs

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

You don't have to have be "approved" to help someone learn an instrument, at least in the United States
Unfortunately...

No ripping on people who aren't "approved" but are actually good teachers. I just had a really bad experience with a lady who "just liked playing piano and wanted to teach." And by bad experience, I mean that I spent 6 years taking lessons from someone who was sadly underqualified, but I didn't know enough to KNOW that she was underqualified. For all you musicians, I once asked her what the difference between a G7 and a Gmaj7 chord was, and she said "Oh, they're the same, but sometimes musicians just forget to write the 'maj'." Um, yeah, I don't think so.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

On another note, has anybody else seen the Focus player? It reads, "Episode 663: Finish What You Started"; not only is this title wrong, it's terrible grammar. \:D/

Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

*coughs* Boring episode. Nothing really exciting, so I won't say anything else.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Crazy 4 Pugs

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

AE:

Yes the title is wrong, but actually the grammar is okay. "Finish what you started" would be an imperative (commanding) sentence telling someone to finish (now) what you started sometime in the past. No problems there.