663 Finish What You...

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

Rate this episode!

Five Stars - Spectacular!
15%
Four Stars - Awesome!
30%
Three Stars - Great.
15%
Two Stars - Good.
37%
One Star - Awful!
4%

Total votes: 27

Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

This was a good episode... not the best, but good!

Characters: Whit is getting a lot better. Olivia Parker on the other hand is not my favorite character. Her voice is always whinny, and the adult actor talks "down" trying to sound like a little girl, which does not sound good.

Story: The story was a little slow, it wasn't terrible... just not my favorite. The lesson was good, although I was wondering why two things was too much for Olivia. Personally I have more than that to keep track of on a regular basis. :)

Music: Was great! No complaints here!

Over all I'll give it a 4/5! :)
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Crazy 4 Pugs wrote:AE:

Yes the title is wrong, but actually the grammar is okay. "Finish what you started" would be an imperative (commanding) sentence telling someone to finish (now) what you started sometime in the past. No problems there.
You're right. I was thinking along the lines that "Finish What You..." should be followed by the word "start", instead of "started". I guess they're both correct. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Finish what you started isn't terrible grammar, just sloppy. While they're both correct, you would only use started if you were referring to something specific but, for an episode title it would be Finish What you Start. Either way, it's wrong and kind of funny.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

Joanne wrote:Olivia Parker on the other hand is not my favorite character. Her voice is always whinny, and the adult actor talks "down" trying to sound like a little girl, which does not sound good.
I know! Her voice really bugs me sometimes. Though as far as her personality goes, I like her. She reminds me of myself sometimes.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
orangie
OK

Post by orangie »

I liked it because the show was realitic. Well, I am a guitarist and when i first started the strings dug into the skin on my fingers. But now my fingers have deep calluses and now i do not feel the pain anymore.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I just noticed Dans post and it could have just been just the G triad G(string) B(string) F#(on high E string)

Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

EMBEE wrote:
Joanne wrote:Olivia Parker on the other hand is not my favorite character. Her voice is always whinny, and the adult actor talks "down" trying to sound like a little girl, which does not sound good.
I know! Her voice really bugs me sometimes. Though as far as her personality goes, I like her. She reminds me of myself sometimes.
Yup! Character great! Voice... not so great. :)
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

I just listened to this episode and I have to say: "Welcome to my life, kid." Seriously, the million projects and constant business make me want to go into a crying meltdown (and it has a few times...in the last couple weeks) so I understand what Olivia was going through.

When it comes to balancing responsibilities in life, it's not only about how many things you have to balance, but also how you work them together. EDveryone seems to think that Olivia should have been able to handle two projects. And she could have, but she didn't take into account the work that would be involved for each one and where to fit it on her schedule. In "The 'No' Factor", on the other hand, Connie had a time on her schedule for each responsibility, she just had way too many responsibilities. Olivia could have done the two projects, but she didn't balance them. She didn't even realize the play was the same day as the birthday party.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

DanP740 wrote:So since when did Eugene play guitar?
Probably since before he started playing the ukulele. I dunno; it makes sense to me that Eugene would have learned to play the guitar before he started playing the ukulele instead of picking up the ukulele right off the bat.

-Kim
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

31899 wrote:I just noticed Dans post and it could have just been just the G triad G(string) B(string) F#(on high E string)

I just realize that I had a triad fail. F# does not complete a G+ triad, a D would complete the triad. :oops:

Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

I think they should up Olivia's age and just make her be thirteen. She reminds me of a junior high, almost high school student. I think eleven is too young for the voice and actions.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Definitely a remake of the No Factor. I really think that they should of had a more mature teenager in the Parker family instead of 2 tweens and a little girl. The episode isn't bad, it is kinda funny but, I mean, having Olivia crying might have been a little to far. I'm not saying Odyssey is a reality show but, sometimes you've just got to look at things and say,"Would this ever happen in real life?".
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

ricrocflow wrote: I mean, having Olivia crying might have been a little to far. I'm not saying Odyssey is a reality show but, sometimes you've just got to look at things and say,"Would this ever happen in real life?".
You better believe it! Smaller things than this have made me cry, and considering she's an adolescent, it's not too much of a stretch.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

I think they should up Olivia's age and just make her be thirteen. She reminds me of a junior high, almost high school student. I think eleven is too young for the voice and actions.
Ah, but then she'd have to disappear in the next year or so.
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Mrs Jason Whittaker wrote:
ricrocflow wrote: I mean, having Olivia crying might have been a little to far. I'm not saying Odyssey is a reality show but, sometimes you've just got to look at things and say,"Would this ever happen in real life?".
You better believe it! Smaller things than this have made me cry, and considering she's an adolescent, it's not too much of a stretch.
Ok maybe you're right. But it just seems a little funny that she just had 2 things she was doing at the same time and didn't even realize it even when those were the only two things she was doing. What kinda adolescent is that, who doesn't even know her schedule?
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

ricrocflow wrote:Ok maybe you're right. But it just seems a little funny that she just had 2 things she was doing at the same time and didn't even realize it even when those were the only two things she was doing. What kinda adolescent is that, who doesn't even know her schedule?
I agree. That aspect of the story was far-fetched. I can just empathize with her because I've been overwhelmed with activities and responsibilities and then the smallest thing can start the tears.
-William Booth
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

It didn't seem like Olivia had that much to do, it's just the idea of balancing the two and doing you're best to finish what you start.
I liked this episode, and I'm liking Whit more and more. I got annoyed with Olivia's voice, you could totally tell she wasn't played by a kid.

Till the end of the line.
Bob Booth
OK

Post by Bob Booth »

So I decided to write a review of this episode.

Below is what I thought of th
Last edited by Bob Booth on Wed May 12, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

Haha I get it...
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

This episode had more of an "Odyssey feel" than some of the others this season, but there wasn't much to it. I could make some comments about episode specifics, maybe about Eugene's sentimentality toward a guitar seeming strange, or that two weeks isn't enough time to learn a song on the guitar or especially to put together a theatrical production from scratch ... but my overriding impression of this episode is that it's a hard one to engage with, either positively or negatively. I didn't necessarily mind the similarities to past episodes ("The No Factor" and "The Secret Keys of Discipline" come to mind), but it needed something more. It had some nice moments (including the ending with Eugene and Olivia's duet), but nothing that really stood out.