668: The Mystery of the Clocktower, Part 2

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of "The Mystery of the Clocktower, Part 2"?

Five - Fantastic!
41%
Four - Awesome!
38%
Three - Good!
18%
Two - Decent.
No votes
One - Horrible!
3%

Total votes: 34

DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

An exceedingly good episode completing a very good two-part season opener mystery... so far the best two episodes since the reboot. I liked the part where both Connie and Whit were talking on their phones and having similar reactions to different information. I like that "the butler" did it, since Matthew said that in the first part.

I give it a rating of 5 out of 5!

And yeah, the stalker thing was a little diminished in seriousness.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I am surprised they even touched a topic like stalking, but I think they way they handled it was professional and audience appropriate. They did not outright call it stalking so as not to give undue exposure to adult themes to children, but at the same time they allowed the seriousness to show though with the synonyms they used for stalking, the explanation of what was happening, and the serious tones of voices they used. This way the adults listening could get the serious aspect, but not have to worry about it being too much of a mature theme for the target audience.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Part 2 was very good! Although I was a little disappointed with the ending. I, like some of the others, would have preferred a little something bigger.

FotF did a superb job of drawing you attention to what they wanted you to think about though. I thought it was all centered around Elisha.

But a downside for me was, at the end, how did Whit know to go to the bank of all places?? That just seemed...interesting. ;)

I'm rating it a 4/5. :yes:

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

You can find my review here:

http://aio-thechangingtimes.blogspot.com/
Aaron Wiley
Popsicle kid

Post by Aaron Wiley »

I loved this story, but I kind of wish it had have gone deeper, like it should have been the last episode in the season linking to "The Green Ring Conspiracy" but it kind of ended up ending (semi) anti climactic. I suspected Andrew the whole time, and speaking of him, I don't like the guy who played him either :P. The episode itself was great, and I enjoyed it, but it could have been better. I'm still looking forward to the rest of this season, and hoping it will be as good or better than this episode.
"And the Lord saw that man had created the Internet, and He was most distressed. For once people started using chatspeak and improper grammar, their level of smartness was decreased by more than 500%. And so the Lord removed all the gifts he had once bestowed on man, and it was very sad." The Book of Marvin, Chapter 351, Verse 442.
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

I really liked this episode. I had a very well written story, and the music was awesome too. Will Ryan did an amazing job as Eugene, as he always does. I have to say though, I am starting to get really tired of Matthew. I'm giving this episode a rating of 4.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I give this episode a 4 out of 5. I thought it was good, though I thought the janitor had something to do with it all along-but was held in suspense as to how he was involved. Indeed, I didn't expect how it ended, but I felt like leading up to it was very complicated. I didn't understand all the details. And I thought it was a bit far-fetched about Andrew and the diary. But on a better note, I'm glad Wendy and Micheal are reunited, and how it worked out.
The first part was amazing; this part was good.

oh, and as a sidenote, when Andrew's father was talking to Whit and Connie about their security people or their staff or whatever, he mentions a Mr. Kincaid, which of course made me think of Dave Madden and the Partridge Family \:D/

Till the end of the line.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

The second part of the episode seemed to clear up my confusion about the message, but having to wait for the message was a bit of detractor especially for the average Joe listener who may not tune in every week. A second message I noticed but may not have been intentional, is the whole crime revolved around money, which takes us to the point of 1 Timothy 6:10. On a different note there seems to be a general lacking of kid characters although it is probably too early to tell. The whole love story thing seemed a bit too perfect, too Disney like, because in Odyssey people never get back together so easily. Example Eugene and Katrina, Connie and Mitch (pretty much any AIO character relations.) It almost seems like Connie has nowhere left to expand her character unless she starts taking classes at a post secondary institute or gets into another relationship. The episode also was rather predictable to who the culprit was, because the person I suspected was Andrew, because why else would they have him in the scenes and he had keys to everywhere, where as one wouldn't of suspected it as much to be the "victim." Also in the end they one with no problems a bit too easy almost. Overall it was an okay episode and get 3/5 star rating.

Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

4 stars. The most enjoyable episode since the reboot. The clock tower diversion reminded me of another diversion, namely the burning down of Tom Riley's barn.
Bennett wrote:You can find my review here:

http://aio-thechangingtimes.blogspot.com/
What an incredible review! The Lucy/Matthew comparison is extremely insightful; Matthew does have the potential to be a functional tag-along in the future. I'm not too familiar with Peter Pan, but the motif sounds likely. I completely agree that the episode was not predictable.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

This was a good episode! I didn't like it quite as much as Part I, though. I suspected Andrew from the very start, but his father being involved was a surprise. The final confrontation at the bank was odd. After Whit came in to stop the robbery, I halfway expected the thieves to pull out guns and shoot our heroes. ;)

The Whit/Connie phone conversation was VERY cheesy. However, I loved it when Whit said, "...and neither of them are married." :inlove:

he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
shadowdog
Still standing tall

Post by shadowdog »

American Eagle wrote:T

The Whit/Connie phone conversation was VERY cheesy.

Really?! I loved that part. Anyone with me?
(I respect your opinion thought AE)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

American Eagle wrote:
The Whit/Connie phone conversation was VERY cheesy. However, I loved it when Whit said, "...and neither of them are married." :inlove:
Ditto. Very cheesy and very unrealistic. Well, from my picky mind. >_> Conversations wouldn't be timed that exactly. :roll:
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I still don't like Andre Stojka. Listen to around 19:45. He sounds.......weird. Do people actually talk like that in real life?
"It's funny.....because......while we're all standing around here......a culprit could be off......somewhere.......else.......doing whatever he wants." It actually makes me laugh. Can someone explain why he's talking like that?
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Marvin D. wrote:
American Eagle wrote:
Ditto. Very cheesy and very unrealistic. Well, from my picky mind. >_> Conversations wouldn't be timed that exactly. :roll:
Yes. I found that a little cheesy, as well. However, it was an easy way to keep the story moving at a quick pace. (why have two phone conversations in a row, when we can just do them at the same time?)
ric wrote:I'll don't like Andre Stojka. Listen to around 19:45. He sounds.......weird. Do people actually talk like that in real life?
"It's funny.....because......while we're all standing around here......a culprit could be off......somewhere.......else.......doing whatever he wants." It actually makes me laugh. Can someone explain why he's talking like that?
I guess he was just thinking the case over. But I think I know what you mean, he seems to pause at unusual moments in his sentences. There are times when I just think "wow, I totally would not have paused there for dramatic effect..." It doesn't bother me really; for the moment I just find it interesting.
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

Same as part 1, definitely a 5 star. Great Job Adventures in Odyssey! :bounce:
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Sometimes I think the dramatic pauses are so André sounds more like Hal Smith or Paul Herlinger, but they are not coming naturally yet. Hopefully the next two albums will see André settle into the role and not be 'new' anymore.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

I just listened to it. It was very good, though the ending was anti-climatic. The fact that Andrew was the butler and was guilty was quite funny.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Here's my review of Parts I and II combined:

I liked this episode quite a bit, and it was very entertaining. When the character of Andrew was introduced, I predicted in my head, and to my siblings that he was the guy behind the whole thing. I was partly joking, but I also thought that they wouldn't have put him in there if he didn't play some part in the story. As the episode progressed, I continued to be more and more sure of my prediction.

The ultimate story behind 11:45 was a bit mature for an Odyssey episode, but I guess we can deal with it. At least it wasn't as bad as When You're Right, You're Right.

I really enjoyed the surprise ending, and wasn't really expecting it. I agreed with Whit when he said that everything had seemed to come together too easily, but I didn't know what it would lead to.

And on a personal note, I would never, ever trust a company called "Dreadlocks". Just saying.

Overall it was a great action/adventure episode with a pretty good moral: "Be sure your sin will find you out", as Matthew says.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

I liked how the 8:15 on the album cover was put there by Nathan as a LOST reference.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent