669: Wooton's Broken Pencil Show

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What do you think of "Wooton's Broken Pencil Show"?

Five - Hilarious!!
26%
Four - Really humorous!
26%
Three - Somewhat funny.
16%
Two - Good for a few chuckles.
24%
One - Unfunny!
8%

Total votes: 38

Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

I liked this episode. At first I thought I wouldn't because Wooton was WAAAAAAAAAY too silly in preivious episodes, (And is also overused) but after hearing it, I must give this show:
3.5/5
~Mark Prescott~
shadowdog
Still standing tall

Post by shadowdog »

I gave this episode a 4/5

I didn't love it. Prob. because of Captain Absolutely...it's a little to obnoxious

Nevertheless, Album 52 is an awesome album to say the very least.
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Quick observations:
  • Chris says "come to our side of the radio", something she often said in the earlier days of AIO.
  • Was the commercial during the first part of the show actually part of the show, or was it the episode’s commercial? In other words, what is in that spot on the album version?
  • Wooton was somewhat annoying in the beginning part of the episode, but he cooled down by the end. The scene near the end where he starts narrating the discussion between Connie and Whit is actually really funny. As corny as it was, I also managed to laugh at the end when Wooton mentions that he has never heard Jess Harnell. :lol:
  • When Red broke the car window, and was prepared to fix it the glass, I was actually reminded of Officer Harley and his antics. It just seems like something he would do.
  • This episode wasn't quite as great as the previous two episodes, but the show seems to be getting a little more back on the track since the hiatus.
Rating: 4.5/5
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

Irwin wrote:As corny as it was, I also managed to laugh at the end when Wooton mentions that he has never heard Jess Harnell. :lol:
This is actually different in another version (album version?) of the show that I heard. In that one as Wooton goes through the cast list he says, "Andre Stojka as Whit, Jess Harnell as--no, that can't right...." That makes his last comment about suffering from an identity crisis make more sense, because Wooton knows he's not Chris (it makes him sound like he's confused about that in the U.S. broadcast version), but he doesn't know that he's played by an actor. Either way it's funny, but it works better on the album.

Dave
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Irwin wrote:Was the commercial during the first part of the show actually part of the show, or was it the episode’s commercial? In other words, what is in that spot on the album version?
No, it does not appear on the album version. (to my knowledge)

While recording The Whit's End Podcast the other day, Regis mentioned the possibility of the whole thing being scripted. I was kind of like, 'no, that couldn't be'. But, I just listened to it again and it struck me. I didn't catch on at all the first two times I listened but, now I'm quite convinced that entire show was scripted.
  • they had the whole Captain Absolutely drama ready to play
  • in the drama, Captain Absolutely mentions "what Eugene said earlier" referring to his comment about car alarms
  • Wooton played a promo for Eugene's show
  • Connie said, "you can stop with the breaking window sound effects now, Red"
  • Eugene and Whit just happen to walk in, ready to be on the radio for a half hour (if it wasn't all planned, who was watching the counter?)
  • the silliness of the episode (if the whole thing was scripted, the idea that Wooton was being too weird is discredited)
  • the voice tones/mood when Connie re-enters and does the recap (22:50-23:20)
Now, it seems quite obvious. I can't believe I missed that! It definitely makes the show all the more genius, though. What a great writing idea! It really changes the whole episode, actually. It was really just like any other KYDS radio show, except it led the listener (both the KYDS radio listener within Odyssey and us) to believe that it was all improvised. It kind of changes the theme as well. I originally thought that it was somewhat ironic that theme was themes and that we just happened by chance to learn a lesson about lessons through Wooton's apparent lack of preparation but, really Whit (or Connie, or whoever's idea this was) decided to make a show about points in entertainment. It kind of changes the way I listen to it, now.

So, did you guys pick up on the fact that, really, the entire show was planned?
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

I realized that after listening to it couple times.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

...And they aren't ever planned out? :anxious:

Wooten is... interesting. But I like him. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Okay, after reading the other comments (and viewpoints opposing mine). I am forced to admit this show could have a nice place on a KYDS Radio playlist which I've wanted to do for awhile. Have to wait till I get the album though to ensure quality uploading and reshuffling.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Termite wrote:...And they aren't ever planned out? :anxious:

Wooten is... interesting. But I like him. \:D/
They don't mean the Odyssey Episode, they mean the KYDS part. Like Connie, Whit, Wooton, Eugene, and Red all scripted it out beforehand as opposed to Wooton really hearing a real car alarm going off and coming in then randomly taking over the show. It was all planned ahead. Make more sense?
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I thought a new episode was released every Friday, but it says on whitsend.org that this weeks doesn't come out till tomorrow.

Till the end of the line.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I did not like this episode at all. Going from The Clock Tower Mystery to this was a big let down. Wooton's Broken Pencil Show had no point to it and strayed in my opinion from Adventure in Odyssey's normal episodes. 0/5
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Irwin wrote: So, did you guys pick up on the fact that, really, the entire show was planned?
Um, ya, they actually said that at the end of the show. Or maybe that's only on the album version. I can't remember.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Shennifer wrote:I thought a new episode was released every Friday, but it says on whitsend.org that this weeks doesn't come out till tomorrow.
Saturday is actually airing day, not Friday. :)
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

oh. *sigh* but I had heard the last one before Saturday....

Till the end of the line.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

"If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it."

Hence, I am not commenting on this episode.
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

It wasn't really that good :cry:
the whole thing was kinda boring in my opinion
had to listen twice before I understood what it was about
BUT I STILL LIKE WOOTON
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Here's my review:

I really liked this episode. We haven't had a new Wooton-centered episode in what feels like a long time. I was glad that they put a Captain Absolutely segment in the regular season. The ones in The Truth Chronicles are really good. I thought it was very clever how they used the play on words to create a world without a point. :D

This seemed much more like the old Odyssey than most of the new episodes have been. There was a whole lot heard from main characters, without much from the newer characters. I was glad to hear from Red again, and I think I'm going to really like having him around more often.

There were a lot of parts that made me laugh out loud, which didn't happen much during the new season.

I was glad to hear from Harlow Doyle again. I think the last time we heard from him was in Rights, Wrongs, and Winners on Album 50. I was afraid he had been taken off of the show like Jason, Tom, Bernard, The Rathbones, The Washingtons, and others. Well, I don't know if they're off the show, but we just haven't heard from them since before the hiatus. I hope we hear from them soon.

I liked that the point of the entertainment was about entertainment having a point, but in the end the episode didn't have that much of a point. :D
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Christian A. wrote:I was glad to hear from Harlow Doyle again. I think the last time we heard from him was in Rights, Wrongs, and Winners on Album 50. I was afraid he had been taken off of the show like Jason, Tom, Bernard, The Rathbones, The Washingtons, and others. Well, I don't know if they're off the show, but we just haven't heard from them since before the hiatus. I hope we hear from them soon.
I think the reason they brought Harlow back is because he's played by Will Ryan, so they didn't have to bring in any actors not already there
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent