671: Fast As I Can

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of "Fast As I Can"?

5 stars - FAST-ASTIC!
56%
4 stars - WIN
32%
3 stars - FAIL/WIN?
9%
2 stars - FAIL
3%
1 star - EPIC FAIL
No votes

Total votes: 34

EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

I just now got around to listening to this episode, and I liked it. It wasn't spectular, but it was okay. Wooton's scenes were pretty funny, as was Matthew's scene in the Imagination Station. I will try to give a more detailed review later, after I've listened to it a couple more times. For now, I'm giving it a 3/5.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I agree with what people have said about this episode overall but I do differ on something. I think that the disorganization and seemingly "godlessness" of the various fasts in itself proves the point the writers were trying to make: that is how incredibly difficult it is to fast especially when you lose track of why you are doing it. Remember at the beginning, Whit tells them to be sure they are doing it for the right reason and not just joining the crowd? They all promised they weren't yet they put it into practice like they were. I find this episode is more of an example of what not to do, than how to do it - and if you view it that way - it works quite well. (Especially when considering that Scripture tells us to fast in quiet and not let others know about it)

Also - Wooton did a great job keeping the focus on God in my opinion. Every time he was tempted, he prayed for someone. This is fleshed out more in the album version, but I disagree with those who say his part was pointless. I think he brought the point to the episode more than anyone.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Aaron Wiley
Popsicle kid

Post by Aaron Wiley »

I just realized. All of us are sitting here saying that "fasting" has never been done as a topic that an episode was based on, but you'll all look back to episode 152: The Meaning of Sacrifice, you'll see the Barkley family does fast together as a family! They go through a lot of the same struggles as in this episode, but I find this one to be a whole lot more humerus. What do you all think of "As Fast As I Can" when comparing it to this episode and how it dealt with fasting?
"And the Lord saw that man had created the Internet, and He was most distressed. For once people started using chatspeak and improper grammar, their level of smartness was decreased by more than 500%. And so the Lord removed all the gifts he had once bestowed on man, and it was very sad." The Book of Marvin, Chapter 351, Verse 442.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

JesusFreak777 wrote:I agree with what people have said about this episode overall but I do differ on something. I think that the disorganization and seemingly "godlessness" of the various fasts in itself proves the point the writers were trying to make: that is how incredibly difficult it is to fast especially when you lose track of why you are doing it. Remember at the beginning, Whit tells them to be sure they are doing it for the right reason and not just joining the crowd? They all promised they weren't yet they put it into practice like they were. I find this episode is more of an example of what not to do, than how to do it - and if you view it that way - it works quite well.
I agree (and you wrote this on my blog). And I know that THAT was the point...if we take a little time to think about it. But my point was that it wasn't very clear. There needed to be a better wrap-up at the end of the episode Whit's side, and like I said in my post, Wooton's duck interrupted a final scene that I thought would be able to bring everything together. It seemed like they were intent on explaining the definition of "fasting", as described in the Bible...but it seemed they focused on the non-spiritual side of "fasting" as simply giving something up--so "sacrifice". Yes, it's clear that the writer's didn't forget. They made clear references throughout about prayer and tranquility. But nothing in relation to how the characters were acting.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

The Chairman wrote:On a side note. Did anyone else notice that in the credits, Marshal Younger co-wrote with Paul McCusker? I thought that I heard in the Whit's End Podcast's interwiew with Nathan Hoobler that Marshal had been let go from Odyssey. Was I mistaken? Was he just moved to a new department at Focus? Is he free-lanceing with them? I don't know. But I thought that was interesting.
A freelance writer can't co-write an episode with a staff writer? All freelanced episodes are edited by the staff, of course, and I would assume that if a script needs an especially large amount of editing (they like the idea but, there are several scenes that they want to rework or something), they simply assign a staff writer to collaborate with the freelancer (I'm sure they have a lot of communication). Of course, I'm only assuming; I have no insider information or anything. Also, it doesn't really matter, I'm just glad to have Marshal Younger continuing to write episodes!
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

King Butter Turtle wrote:I'm just glad to have Marshal Younger continuing to write episodes!
Amen, KBT!
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

This is the first episode I've listened to since the inspiration station part 1.
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

I really enjoyed this episode, and was glad that Odyssey covered such a non-typical subject. Did anyone notice that Eugene said "these IDEAS"? Ideas is 3 syllables!
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

It really helps people understand what fasting is and how hard it is :)
It is a 5 stars!!! \:D/

GO PARKER FAMILY :lol:
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Here's my review:

I loved this episode! I think that it's better than Albums 51 and 52 so far combined, if you don't count the Jubilee singers. There was a perfect balance of old and new characters, and all of the characters stayed true to their personalities.

This is exactly the type of episode Odyssey needed to further develop Andre Stojka's voice as Whit. He still isn't getting the same place in my heart as Hal and Paul, but this episode definitely brought him much farther toward that goal. We hadn't yet had an episode where he was a spiritual mentor to anyone, and he did an excellent job in this one with Matthew.

I loved the Eugene storyline, and it made me laugh the whole time. :D

The first scene that Connie tells everyone what she's fasting from was hilarious!

I can relate to Matthew's fast since I didn't use the Internet all summer. I loved the Imagination Station adventure, and how, for, I think, the first time, the actual state of the mind played a part in what was imagined. It was great having Will Ryan play Thomas Jefferson, and I loved all of his lines. I think some of them may have been ad-libbed by Will, because they were so good.

I loved having Wooton in this episode, and I was so glad to hear that it was written by Marshal Younger and Paul McCusker. The new writers really just don't entertain me as much as them.

Overall it was an amazing episode, but unfortunately, it may make me give bad reviews for episodes that don't measure up to this one. ;)
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Great episode! I love how Eugene fast words of more than two syllables. Hilarious! Also like Wooton's duck in the Moses display =D> :lolsign: Basically, I love this episode! =D> =D>
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!