676: An Agreeable Nanny

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How would you rate this episode?

5 stars - Eugenius
10%
4 stars - Connieful
55%
3 stars - Tomerable
23%
2 stars - Whitever
10%
1 star - I'm going to Bartf!
3%

Total votes: 31

American Eagle
Chief of Police
676: An Agreeable Nanny

Post by American Eagle »

Listen, rate and review! \:D/

he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I shan't be reviewing it at the moment, but I just wanted to say, epicness on the poll options! \:D/
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

Wow, AE. Very creative poll options! \:D/

I suppose I shall have to listen some time soon...
Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

Yay for awesome poll options! \:D/

I might post a review sometime, I usually don't but I might this time.
Cbriggs45
Pilgrim

Post by Cbriggs45 »

this ep made me laugh and think..

i love the parker family. i think for me they are slowly becoming my favorite family from odyssey.

"i dont like sugar that much, maybe a spoonful at most." lol mary poppins.

the twist at the end even caught me off guard...

but this ep had a lot of funny parts that kept me locked in. even tho i was driving when i heard it (i own the album)

this is a ep i can listen to over and over 4 out of five star things.
you can learn a lot from job 38-42, being humble isn't the easiest but its worth it.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I enjoyed this episode. It wasn't my favorite, but it was still good. I give it four stars out of five.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

So the Parker's get a nanny! First impression: A nanny? Eww. I don't like that word. But I can't think of another word either. Oh well. We'll just leave it at that..

Did anybody else get reminded of "Grandma's Visit" while listening to this episode? Well, I did. And if root beer is their regular, wouldn't it have been the regular back then? Or not.

Now, if you have listened to the OAIOP, you would have known that the babysitter was played by the actress who played Gloria McCoy. Lights might have flashed when you heard her British accent? That might have signaled you off. And the fact that Maria/Charlotte didn't make a big deal about what Matthew did or even Camilla's movie. But seriously. Jurassic Park of Aliens (I think)? What was she thinking?! But, I really laughed when she was screaming. I started laughing, Jake started laughing, Tina started screaming, so it was pretty good. :P

This episode had a weaker moral to it, almost like a tossed-in one. A little like the Blackgaard saga, perhaps? Where not all episodes had much of a moral. However, it was still an enjoyable episode, that was slightly predictable, if you knew the clues. ;) Final rating: 8/10
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

Wow! This was a very fun episode, I ended up giving it 3/5 stars.

I agree with Marvin, it did remind me a lot of Grandma's Visit. While that wasn't necessarily bad, it did sound rather redundant. The episode overall was pretty funny and had some fun scenarios. I however, got kind of bored. It seemed to me that they went from one funny gag to another and the episode didn't have much of a point. Other than Hope L. all the actors did a good job. Sydney does a great job as Camilla and the part with her screaming was very funny. :)
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Woot for a funny episode that kept me interested. The kids' voices are annoying as always, and I went "arg" when the "British nanny" arrived, but still...

4/5
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Here's my Review:

http://aio-thechangingtimes.blogspot.co ... nanny.html

How does this episode compare to the others? Find out here:

http://aio-thechangingtimes.blogspot.co ... verys.html
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I thought this episode was just average...nothing too exciting, and not really horrible either. I thought the thing thrown in right at the very end of Maria being an actress from the local theater company was odd and unnecessary. :doubt: Saying that they had told the babysitter to let the kids make their own choices was one thing - but hiring an actress with a fake British accent? That's a little far-fetched for me...

I rated it 3/5 stars.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

I love this episode. :inlove:

The characters were played wonderfully! I mean, face it, only a boy would try to wash dishes with a hose. :hilarious: Ahem, I'm sorry. It's a nice episode at the start of a most likely long day. ;) Mr. Whittaker was nicely played if I'll ever get used to his voice, he listened to what happened and then gave advice like Whit does. Something that seemed a little stretched was, what ordinary family would hire an actress to test their children? I mean, it made the episode work out really nicely, but it just seem a little strange. And I'm kind of disappointed that 'Maria' is actually just a normal actress, I loved her voice from the start and was wishing she would appear in other episodes. :( Another reason I like this episode was the kids didn't do anything REALLY extraordinary. They acted like regular kids who get into some trouble when they think their old enough for something and make a mess of things. And in the end they saw their fault. This is going on my MP3 player when I get one. ;)

I rated it 5 out of 5 stars.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I thought this episode was just average...nothing too exciting, and not really horrible either. I thought the thing thrown in right at the very end of Maria being an actress from the local theater company was odd and unnecessary. :doubt: Saying that they had told the babysitter to let the kids make their own choices was one thing - but hiring an actress with a fake British accent? That's a little far-fetched for me...

I rated it 3/5 stars.
Yeah, I agree with Laura. It seemed a bit extreme. I also dislike the idea of being purposefully deceptive to teach your kids a lesson, and while the only lesson here isn't about telling the truth, it still seems a bit off to me. ;)
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

It may have been extreme, but I suspected it as soon as she asked to be directed to the water closet.
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
Wooton Blagard
Not as new

Post by Wooton Blagard »

I overall Liked this episode. I thought the things Matthew tried to do were so funny, and the line at the end "If i would of known that I would of tried allot of other things" just tied the whole thing up! I also loved the nanny twist at the end where she said she wasn't British! She had me fooled!
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

It was 4 stars - Connieful \:D/
very creative way to put the ratings :lol:
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

I wrote this review months ago, so I'm not sure how much I agree with it now, but here's my review:

I actually really liked this episode. I was sort of expecting not to enjoy it very much, but while it did have a weak moral, it made me laugh all throughout.

Spoiler Alert: If you haven't yet heard the episode, you probably don't want to read on. : )

Mr. and Mrs. Parker stayed very true to their characters. I loved the ending scenes with all of the funny things that Mr. Parker says, and the things that Mrs. Parker had to correct him about laughing at. It was a fairly odd scheme that they came up with to test their children's trustworthiness. I wouldn't have thought to go to a college and find a drama student and ask her to act as a British (Cambridgian), Mary Poppins nanny so that I could find out how my kids would act with a pushover.

Olivia grew on me more in this episode. She stayed true to how her character has acted before, but she really is starting to sound more and more like the 11/12-year old she's supposed to be. I thought it was interesting though how sometimes she treated Matthew as the leader rather than putting herself in that position like she has in earlier episodes. I cringed during the banana fight because of the disgusting sound effects that added to the grossness that was already there just because of the bananas. (I abhor bananas.) When Matthew walked up in the middle of the fight, and the girls brought him into it, I was reminded of the hose scene in Our Best Vacation Ever. All throughout the episode I was reminded of the Barclays when the kids were bickering. I really think the Parkers will slowly start to become the central, well-loved family that the Barclays were. Who knows, maybe someday we fans will be able to say that they have just as special a part in our hearts as the Barclays and the Washingtons.

Matthew was great in this episode. Ever since The Inspiration Station, he has definitely been my favorite new kid character, and this show continued that. He always had some great idea to resolve the current dilemma, and it usually gets him in trouble. And he constantly threw in comments that made me laugh.

Camilla was a different story. Not that I didn't like her character in the story, but she was just so foolish! I mean, seriously, War of the Jurassic Aliens! Really?! Why would she even consider even wanting to watch that? Isn't she a girl? Well, I guess she is a girl who likes sports, a tomboy, but still! I thought it was great though that Whit knew exactly what movie she was talking about, and that that movie was so violent that the movie rating system had to be changed. ; D

Now to Maria/Charlotte. It struck me as weird from the start that she had a British accent, and seemed to be trying so hard to be British. Especially since I knew that the most recent Official Podcast had interviewed her about her experience as Gloria in Camp What-A-Nut. And she was trying to sound like Marry Poppins too: "Only a spoonful [of sugar]" and "Spit-spot". I was just waiting for her to say "supercalifragilisticexpealido-cious"! Until I discovered why she was acting so weird, I was wondering when she'd stop being such a pushover. And was it just me, or did she sound a lot like Dalton Kearne's guard from The Top Floor when she finally revealed herself as Charlotte?

This really was a great, very entertaining episode. The only problem was that it didn't seem to have a moral. It seemed like the writer just came up with this great idea, and then tried to throw in a lesson somewhere. It was kind of like the Novacom Saga, where most of the episode was just for entertainment, but they were concerned that someone might mention that there was no spiritual application, so there was a small something thrown in.

But aside from all that, I did really enjoy this episode, and I can't wait to hear another Parker family episode.

Back then I would have probably given it a 4/5 (Connieful), but now it's more like a 3/5 (Tomerable). Having heard it several times in album form now, it starts to get annoying.