681: The Green Ring Conspiracy, Part 3

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How was it?

5 stars: Super!
41%
4 stars: Excellent!
53%
3 stars: All Right!
6%
2 stars: Ok.
No votes
1 star: Awful!
No votes

Total votes: 17

Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
681: The Green Ring Conspiracy, Part 3

Post by Peachey Keen »

It's Part 3 everybody! Enjoy!
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

This episode was a bit better, but they really should name the episodes...

All the pun-named people annoy me, including "Haggler"...

Who's idea was it to pair Connie with someone who sounds almost exactly like her? Who's playing that person, anyway?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

DanP740 wrote:This episode was a bit better, but they really should name the episodes...

All the pun-named people annoy me, including "Haggler"...

Who's idea was it to pair Connie with someone who sounds almost exactly like her? Who's playing that person, anyway?
They didn't name the episodes individually because all of the lessons are transcendent and continuing throughout all of the episodes.

fixed double post - aussie aio fan
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
orangie
OK

Post by orangie »

And because the names might give away the story.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

They didn't back during Novacom...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

DanP740 wrote:They didn't back during Novacom...
Or Darkness before Dawn.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I was catching up on old official podcasts the other day and in the one from January 26 with Paul McCusker and Dave Arnold, they talked about using names with meaning. Paul McCusker's example was "The Mystery of the Clocktower," where one of the characters' last name was originally Drivel, implying that anything he had to say was drivel. They chatted a little about using names with meaning. It's hardly a new concept - lots of classic books have names that divulge something about the character.

Also...just because they names episodes years ago, doesn't mean that they have to now. ;) Is it bad to try something new?
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

It was okay, I guess. It might have been overshadowed by StrongNChrist, so I might be (probably am) looking at it from tinted glass. The main thing that stood out for me is when Eugene was called a kid. The other thing was why does Buck Oliver need a job at Whit's End?

Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Because the kids talk to Whit's End people about their days and dilemmas, like say, a missing Appleberry Phone they found?
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Agent Tanner is my new least-favorite character. :x
orangie
OK

Post by orangie »

The actor who plays Penny is Kimmy Robertson.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I like Eugene's line, "He called me a kid?!"

Hilarious. One of my favorite lines of the whole 12 parter. (Yes I know how it ends. \:D/ )
he/him | a little stinker.
Cbriggs45
Pilgrim

Post by Cbriggs45 »

this is my fourth listening to.. i am listening to it in my car.

so much is still setting up. its a solid base for the plot. but this is not the most flashy of the three i believe. my review.
you can learn a lot from job 38-42, being humble isn't the easiest but its worth it.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

It was a fine episode I guess. Nothing too good about it and nothing too bad.

4/5
Angel Bob
insert dash here

Post by Angel Bob »

I don't plan to write any extensive reviews of the episodes in this series; rather, I'll wait until it concludes before sharing any detailed thoughts. :) So far, it's been amazing!
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Good episode. Carries the plot in a good way. I liked the characters, and though I like the character of Penny Wise, she really does sound way too much like Connie. Still, a decent character, and it's a good idea for Connie to have a friend her age again. Who else has there been? Mitch? Wooton? Cheryl if you want to stretch it? I think Penny has the right personality to be Connie's friend, but needs a more separate voice. But hey, possible replacement for Katie Leigh with a few adjustments right :) Okay, maybe not that similar.

And I'd agree with the 'names with meanings' being slightly annoying. Penny Wise works because it's explained in the context of the show, but not names like Drivel, Haggler, and Andrew 'Butler' (as in, the butler always commits the crime). Too convenient.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Dallas R. wrote:Good episode. Carries the plot in a good way. I liked the characters, and though I like the character of Penny Wise, she really does sound way too much like Connie. Still, a decent character, and it's a good idea for Connie to have a friend her age again. Who else has there been? Mitch? Wooton? Cheryl if you want to stretch it? I think Penny has the right personality to be Connie's friend, but needs a more separate voice. But hey, possible replacement for Katie Leigh with a few adjustments right :) Okay, maybe not that similar.

And I'd agree with the 'names with meanings' being slightly annoying. Penny Wise works because it's explained in the context of the show, but not names like Drivel, Haggler, and Andrew 'Butler' (as in, the butler always commits the crime). Too convenient.
Butler was William's name, and he didn't do it. Drivel was Andrew's last name too. They were father and son, remember?
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Total bump, but...to those of you who don't like the name 'Haggler', you do realize that 'Blackgaard', alternately spelled 'blackguard', means 'A person, particularly a man, who behaves in a dishonorable or contemptible way,' right?
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

ric wrote:Total bump, but...to those of you who don't like the name 'Haggler', you do realize that 'Blackgaard', alternately spelled 'blackguard', means 'A person, particularly a man, who behaves in a dishonorable or contemptible way,' right?
I forgot about that one, good point!
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Here's my review:

I don't think we got as many answers to questions this episode as we did last episode. We didn't here anything from Mr. Skint, Dirk Beggs, or Monty. But we did get at least a little information about Monty and Beggs in Agent Tanner's soliloquy about his involvement with the counterfeiters. As far as I can tell, the Secret Service was suspicious of Dirk Beggs, so they sent Monty in on a mission to get information. For a while, it seemed like it might be a waste of time, but then Dirk started giving Monty information. But then they both disappeared until they were discovered after the plane crash, and now the Secret Service assumes the worst and considers Monty a rogue agent. I definitely agree with Whit that Monty wasn't the type of kid who would get tempted by money. So I'm considering him innocent until proven guilty.

Connie at art classes at CCCC...weird. But I'm sure it has something significant to do with the ultimate plot. We'll just have to see how it plays out. The character of Penny is weird, but I'm sure she's supposed to be that way. I never knew Connie was interested in drawing, let alone that she has the ability to copy the Mona Lisa! But what is this obsession with fangs? And I don't know about you, but I'm suspicious about the "Christianity" of Penny and Dr. Trask. Something tells me it's going to turn out to be some kind of weird cult, as in Bad Company. Something about Dr. Benjamin Trask makes me suspicious of him. Maybe it's the fact that he sounds like he's played by the same actor as Detective Polehaus. Are they related? Then again, Penny sounds like she could be played by Katie Leigh, so there's probably nothing there.

I definitely agree with Marvin (I think it was Marvin) who says that this relationship between Buck and Emily is Richard Maxwell/Lucy Cunningham-Schultz-like. It's an oldish boy whom we know is working for the bad guys playing with the heart of a girl who's obviously much younger than him. And, as he told Mr. Skint on the phone, Buck's going to use her to accomplish his diabolical plan to find Matthew and the AppleBerry. I don't know why Emily is being so naive all of a sudden. You'd think that since she's a detective that she'd be on guard for villains. Especially when there's a counterfeit money scheme involved. But I guess girls will be girls. : )

I was expecting to hear from Jay, Matthew, and Nelson, or at least Jay since I was told by Marvin that we'd be hearing from him in every episode. But they were in the "Previously on Adventures in Odyssey" clip at the beginning, so maybe that's what Marvin meant. Hopefully he'll be in the next one.

Well there are still a lot of questions that need to be answered: What is the significance of Penny and Dr. Trask? Will their "Christianity" prove to be genuine? What will Buck do with Emily? Will she help him find Matthew? What is on the phone, since Mr. Skint wants it so badly? Will Emily maybe turn Buck around and get him on our side? Or will Buck end up nearly killing her like Richard did to Lucy? What's up with the Stiletto? Is he only a myth? And is Monty a rogue agent? Why was he in Whit's house? And is he going to be okay, since we couldn't hear him responding to Whit? What is Detective Polehaus going to do with the counterfeit money? Is he a bad guy? Will he link it to Buck because of the "Oliver" Twist book in the front pocket? Will there be a cliff-hanger involving Monty in every episode?

I can't wait to hear the fourth episode next week! Thanks for reading my review!