693: The Amazing Loser

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

Rate The Amazing Loser!

5 stars
17%
4 stars
63%
3 stars
21%
2 stars
No votes
1 star
No votes

Total votes: 24

ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I'm sorry, but...what? Everyone's saying this was some GREAT episode. Maybe I'm just being overly negative (I probably am)... but... I'm just being honest...this didn't really entertain me. The only reason I listened to the end was so I could write a full review. Barrett and company don't interest me. And it was kinda funny how they threw in all those random musical terms. It's pretty unrealistic that they knew them (umm, 12 year olds in a elementary school band? I don't think so.) but no big deal.

I'll give it 3/5
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

And a organization trying to take over the world via mind control device isn't? Odyssey is not a realistic show.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

ric wrote:I'm sorry, but...what? Everyone's saying this was some GREAT episode. Maybe I'm just being overly negative (I probably am)... but... I'm just being honest...this didn't really entertain me. The only reason I listened to the end was so I could write a full review. Barrett and company don't interest me. And it was kinda funny how they threw in all those random musical terms. It's pretty unrealistic that they knew them (umm, 12 year olds in a elementary school band? I don't think so.) but no big deal.

I'll give it 3/5
I get that Barrett and Priscilla would know those terms. They both seemed like total music geeks in other episodes, especially Barrett. I like that, to my recollection we haven't had kids really into music in Odyssey before.

But how does Matthew know so much? It's like every topic that comes up in recent episodes, Matthew already has extensive knowledge on.

Why is it that there's such a high percentage of really smart kids in Odyssey? Seems like no other town has that many child genii... :anxious:
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

ric wrote:I'm sorry, but...what? Everyone's saying this was some GREAT episode. Maybe I'm just being overly negative (I probably am)... but... I'm just being honest...this didn't really entertain me. The only reason I listened to the end was so I could write a full review. Barrett and company don't interest me. And it was kinda funny how they threw in all those random musical terms. It's pretty unrealistic that they knew them (umm, 12 year olds in a elementary school band? I don't think so.) but no big deal.

I'll give it 3/5
Well they did read the book of musical trivia, they're band students, and I knew all of those terms when I was 12... (or course I've taken piano since I was 3). I loved all of the music in this episode, and the Baroque line made me laugh. Also, I'm pretty sure that the Sousaphone is slightly different than a tube, as the Sousaphone goes around your waist for marching (since Sousa was the march king), whereas the tube sits on your lap. I did think of the Christmas Shoes with the little girl, and loved the twist, showing that even if he didn't end up doing something helpful, his heart was still in the right place. Jay was a little meaner in this episode, but I wouldn't really say much more so than usual. The Barrett/Priscilla thing was noticeable, but it wasn't overdone and mushy, just typical middle-schooler behaviour, I'd say. I did like the things like pulling in Hal's Diner, and I did think of "Have You No Selpurcs?". I didn't really see any problem with the cheap shoes in the thrift store, or the tax-less items, as some states don't have sales tax. I tried to look up where there's no sales tax, but it gets much more complicated than that, it seems. I think Canadian taxes are much easier. All in all, loved the episode!!! 4/5 stars for me!
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:

I'll give it 3/5
Well they did read the book of musical trivia, they're band students, and I knew all of those terms when I was 12... (or course I've taken piano since I was 3). I loved all of the music in this episode, and the Baroque line made me laugh. Also, I'm pretty sure that the Sousaphone is slightly different than a tube, as the Sousaphone goes around your waist for marching (since Sousa was the march king), whereas the tube sits on your lap.
Well, yes, when you take classical piano, you learn all those terms, but I wasn't aware that an elementary school marching band teaches those. But ya, you're right, they read the trivia book. I sort of forgot about that part. :P Regardless, that wasn't the reason I gave it a 3/5. I usually rate things according to how much they entertain me, not how realistic they are. And just so I don't seem like a total art-hater, I do love music, but I've never been that into classical or marching band (although the latter is quite preferable). Jazz is more my thing.

I believe the Sousaphone is a form of tuba. (I assume you mean tuba, correct?)
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I give it 4/5 simply because, "More cowbell" was one of the lines. \:D/
he/him | a little stinker.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

ric wrote:
Leonard Meltsner wrote:

I'll give it 3/5
Well they did read the book of musical trivia, they're band students, and I knew all of those terms when I was 12... (or course I've taken piano since I was 3). I loved all of the music in this episode, and the Baroque line made me laugh. Also, I'm pretty sure that the Sousaphone is slightly different than a tube, as the Sousaphone goes around your waist for marching (since Sousa was the march king), whereas the tube sits on your lap.
Well, yes, when you take classical piano, you learn all those terms, but I wasn't aware that an elementary school marching band teaches those. But ya, you're right, they read the trivia book. I sort of forgot about that part. :P Regardless, that wasn't the reason I gave it a 3/5. I usually rate things according to how much they entertain me, not how realistic they are. And just so I don't seem like a total art-hater, I do love music, but I've never been that into classical or marching band (although the latter is quite preferable). Jazz is more my thing.

I believe the Sousaphone is a form of tuba. (I assume you mean tuba, correct?)
Oops, I don't know how I got away with writing "tube" twice... yes I meant tuba.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Wait, since when are twelve-year-olds in elementary school? Was this a goof on ric's part, or the writers'? Because I'm pretty sure that twelve-year-old is about the age most kids are in the sixth and beginning of seventh grade, which, as far as I know, are middle school ages.

I liked this episode. Not great, but not horrifyingly terrible. Of course, I don't know details, since I was listening while playing LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, but I did like the bit at the end about the penny. Although I'm with whoever said it earlier--since when do gumballs cost a penny? Nowadays they cost at least 25 cents, and that's if you're not at the mall where they have massive gumballs for about 50 cents a pop.

About the music theory thing, I knew most of those terms as a twelve-year-old and I'd only been taking music-related lessons for two years. Music vocabulary really isn't that hard.

(On an unrelated note, this sounds similar to something I told someone when they said marching band couldn't possibly be that hard. I was like, um, yes, honey, it can.)
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

You can read my review here.