696: You're Two Kind

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What's your rating?

5 stars: Bedazzled!
50%
4 stars: Shimmery
29%
3 stars: Pretty shiny
21%
2 stars: Not very bright
No votes
1 star: Very dull!
No votes

Total votes: 14

Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

696: You're Two Kind

Post by Graces4you »

What do you think of this new episode?
Last edited by Graces4you on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

5 stars. This has to be my favorite episode since the relaunch. It seemed very realistic, except for the be bejeweler thing. Connie needs to grow up a little I think. A bejewler sounds like something a 10 year old would get for their birthday. :?

The reason it's five stars is because the parts with Brad and Ryan (I really am liking his character) were really well done and a great lesson. :yes:

\:D/
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

I know I'll be all so far from the last one to say this, but the episode is "You're Two Kind".
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Graces4you
Love to love

Post by Graces4you »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:I know I'll be all so far from the last one to say this, but the episode is "You're Two Kind".
](*,) How did I misread the episode title? Thank you for pointing that out.

whittaker96
Gold Member

Post by whittaker96 »

I enjoyed this episode, for the most part. It WAS very realistic, and I really enjoyed the Ryan and Brad storyline; which was well acted by both Adam Wylie and Justin Prentice. But what was up with Eugene's storyline??? First of all, why is Connie using a bejeweler when she's like, 21ish. What happened to all of her Penny Saved maturity? I get that Connie has tried to teach Eugene a lesson in ways like that before (See: Broken-Armed and Dangerous), but this was a little extreme. It's nice to hear from Katrina, teaching in a middle school situation; that will cause many good episodes in the future (and I'm looking forward to How To Sink a Sub). I must wonder, as I do often, the question I've been wondering since Album 51. DID HAND UP JUST DIE? Eugene's working at the college again and Katrina's substitute teaching? Is this some alternate universe of Odyssey? And I did not like this line: "Whit, you've been standing there quietly with a silly grin on your face." This is Week 2 for people to make a case. Or as Ben Warren puts it, (aio.thechangingtimes.blogspot.com, Review: Forgiving More...or Less) "Forgiving More...or Less" features one of the most painfully awkward moments in Adventures in Odyssey history. The moment is awkward because John Avery Whittaker, my childhood hero and role model, says one of the most embarrassing jokes I've ever heard: "Big Scoop? I've got one here for the Ice Cream! Har. Har". Surely Camilla could have laughed. Someone could have laughed. Do we really want Whit to be portrayed as a bumbling, out of touch, geezer? If I remember correctly, the Whit I grew up with was a relatively funny guy who knew how to say a clever joke. Sigh. I suppose even role models say bad jokes, too." Whit is slowly getting back to advice to the kids, even if it's a little mechanical at times, but it's very awkward still with adults. So sadly, this could have been such a great episode, but the seemingly backward step in character and plot development for Connie, Eugene, Whit, and Katrina left me saying that this is simply, a good episode.

86/100, B
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I liked this episode a lot, I really liked Bradshaw character, and Ryan was really well done, they were both very realistic. The jeweled items by Connie were a little corny though, seriously? I would have liked her to come up with something a little better. It was nice to hear from Katrina again too. I think this was a very likable episode overall.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Happy Saturday everyone! How about we review the latest episode?
Graces4you
Love to love

Post by Graces4you »

This episode is one of my favorite episodes from album 54. The bejewler thing was a little weird, it didn't really seem like a young adult thing. I liked the storyline with Brad and Ryan, was relistic, something that your typical middle schooler might do. I liked that Katrinia was in it, the part with the haircut was a little different. Overall it was a pretty good episode.

whittaker96
Gold Member

Post by whittaker96 »

I think it's funny that it's so realistic. That is definitely a typical middle-school boy situation; I think if it was between Olivia and Valerie it would be a lot more complicated. :) Oh, and I loved Ms. Gretsky! She reminded me of the janitor from Cousin Albert.
whittaker96
Gold Member

Post by whittaker96 »

Peachey Keen wrote:Happy Saturday everyone! How about we review the latest episode?
There's actually another topic posted already... :lol:

I enjoyed this episode, for the most part. It WAS very realistic, and I really enjoyed the Ryan and Brad storyline; which was well acted by both Adam Wylie and Justin Prentice. But what was up with Eugene's storyline??? First of all, why is Connie using a bejeweler when she's like, 21ish. What happened to all of her Penny Saved maturity? I get that Connie has tried to teach Eugene a lesson in ways like that before (See: Broken-Armed and Dangerous), but this was a little extreme. It's nice to hear from Katrina, teaching in a middle school situation; that will cause many good episodes in the future (and I'm looking forward to How To Sink a Sub). I must wonder, as I do often, the question I've been wondering since Album 51. DID HAND UP JUST DIE? Eugene's working at the college again and Katrina's substitute teaching? Is this some alternate universe of Odyssey? And I did not like this line: "Whit, you've been standing there quietly with a silly grin on your face." This is Week 2 for people to make a case. Or as Ben Warren puts it, (aio.thechangingtimes.blogspot.com, Review: Forgiving More...or Less) "Forgiving More...or Less" features one of the most painfully awkward moments in Adventures in Odyssey history. The moment is awkward because John Avery Whittaker, my childhood hero and role model, says one of the most embarrassing jokes I've ever heard: "Big Scoop? I've got one here for the Ice Cream! Har. Har". Surely Camilla could have laughed. Someone could have laughed. Do we really want Whit to be portrayed as a bumbling, out of touch, geezer? If I remember correctly, the Whit I grew up with was a relatively funny guy who knew how to say a clever joke. Sigh. I suppose even role models say bad jokes, too." Whit is slowly getting back to advice to the kids, even if it's a little mechanical at times, but it's very awkward still with adults. So sadly, this could have been such a great episode, but the seemingly backward step in character and plot development for Connie, Eugene, Whit, and Katrina left me saying that this is simply, a good episode.

86/100, B

p.s. I think it's funny that it's so realistic. That is definitely a typical middle-school boy situation; I think if it was between Olivia and Valerie it would be a lot more complicated. Oh, and I loved Ms. Gretsky! She reminded me of the janitor from Cousin Albert.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

*cough*

Admins, Graces4You posted this first. You might want to have the main link link to hers instead. :-

\:D/
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

In my defense, I didn't see a thread for this episode in Whit's End. All review threads that I've seen have been posted in the WE forum, not the subforum for episode reviews. The episode review sub forum is more of an archive for past episodes. Plus I have adjectives for the different stars.:D

But its the admins' decision for what to do.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Adjectives are unhelpful, because often my star rating doesn't agree with the adjectives. :P

3/5
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The two threads have now been merged, so the posts from both topics are now together in this thread with the posts in the order that they were made. I was the one who globalized Peachey's thread, since topics are typically made in Whit's End, and that was the only review thread I saw there. Now it's all taken care of. :)

EDIT: And now for my review!

I actually have listened to this episode twice now, because I was already have the album and was planning to listen to one episode a week as they aired, but got a little ahead :anxious: and therefore listened to this episode a few weeks ago. I loved it on the first listen, and therefore gladly listened to it again yesterday so I could post a more specific review. I enjoyed it a lot the second time too!

I thought the Ryan and Brad storyline was well done and definitely realistic. It's a great message for kids, and for the rest of us too. I could relate to the feeling of doing something nice and then not getting the expected response and feeling resentful. I like how they both made mistakes and both were able to acknowledge it, deal with it, and move on as friends. I love Adam Wylie's voice, so I like it when Ryan is in episodes, and I think the character is well done.

I have to admit to laughing a lot at Eugene and the Bedazzler situation. :lol: Good times. I agree with those who have stated over the years (and I think Bennett has stated this very recently) that deception for a "good" reason seems to happen on AIO too much. It was funny, but couldn't there be a better way to communicate with Eugene? How long and how often do we have to lie to somebody before they come to see how they are wrong and learn a good lesson? I really think that there must be a better way. I don't think that "lying to your good friend/spouse for days is good as long as they learn something in the end" works well as a theme that I want to see listed on the back of an AIO album. ;) I don't want to be too critical. I did find the storyline amusing...but it just felt wrong that Connie and Katrina couldn't find a better, more honest, way to say what they needed to.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I thought it was one of the better episodes out of the new Odyssey era for sure. I thought it was a little too exaggerated overall, particularly with Eugene's situation...he seemed somewhat unlike what he's been in the past...he's never been super confrontational, but I never pictured him to be one to lie about his feelings to such an extreme as he did in that episode...and Connie did seem rather immature. The situation at school was somewhat real, but still seemed a little bit exaggerated. However, I still enjoyed listening to it and, on initial review, am liking Ryan and Brad. Hopefully the writers will continue a little more like this with the ideas, but exaggerate it slightly less.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Am I the only one who doesn't consider a young adult using a bejeweler as being immature? I know young adults who use things like that and they're far from immature. Connie just strikes me as the type who would consider that fun.

I'm certainly not the first person to say this, and I won't be the last, but Ryan and Brad's storyline was wonderfully awesome. I'm reviewing as I listen and I adore it. Ryan is one of my new favorite characters, especially because he's realistic and voiced by Adam Wylie. :inlove: (He's pretty close to my view of my dearest Trent DeWhite, although no kid character can quite take that place. \:D/) It's something that would totally happen in middle school, although where I went to middle school, it would turn into one of those elaborate, revenge-filled dramafests. ;)

I couldn't really visualize Katrina's haircut...I thought of it as a pixie cut, but maybe that's just me. Eugene's line was brilliant: "Because they make me look like a walking disco ball!"

Whoever compared it to "Broken-Armed And Dangerous", I completely agree. I didn't see that there was "deception for a good reason" in this one, but that's just me.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Ryan Matlock
Level 4, Adventures in Odyssey Collector

Post by Ryan Matlock »

I loved this episode! I thought it was funny when Eugene found out that it was all an experiment on him. I also liked the way Eugene acted every time he was given a bejeweled gift. I think that, in album 54, this was my second favorite episode. I would put it right next to my favorite episode in the album, Never for Nothing.

~~~RyanCummings, Youtuber, producer of the World Famous Odyssey podcast, writing assistant to Brock Eastman, and SUPER AIO fan.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

First, some notes and observations:
  • I loved when Ryan called Katrina Mrs. Meltsner! :inlove:
  • Katrina is sure doing a lot of work for a substitute teacher!
  • These days, Eugene sounds a little more like Will Ryan (his voice is a little deeper) than the Eugene of days gone by.
  • Was Mrs. Gretzky, the lunch lady, a reference to former Canadian hockey player Wayne Gretzky? :)
  • Unlike Ryan, Brad definitely sounded too old to be in middle school (high school, maybe).
  • At first, I was a bit miffed that Brad would so easily let Ryan do all the video editing ... but then I realized that it probably wasn't supposed to be as time-consuming as the video editing I'm used to, given that it was for a middle school history class.
  • Eugene's situation reminded me of Jack Allen's similar dilemma in "And That's the Truth."
I really liked Katrina's role in this episode; she was an interesting link between the two stories, and her interactions with Eugene were my favorite part of his story. It's about time we heard them interact under more normal circumstances.

One time while watching a TV show, I couldn't get through a scene without pausing it a few times. It was hard to watch, not because of objectionable content, but because of the painful awkwardness (or, rather, the soon-to-be awkwardness) of the situation. As funny as some "epic fails" sometimes are, sometimes they're just sad and you feel very uncomfortable for that person. The worst part is when everything seems normal to everyone else, but you know it's about to turn painfully awkward. That's what I experienced in the moments before Ryan's video project began to play, and I applaud AIO for making me identify with Ryan's plight so much that I had to pause the episode. The anticipation was definitely a lot worse than how it actually played out, though.

While neither plot blew me away, neither was cringeworthy either (though, if I hadn't known that the whole thing with Eugene was all a test, I might've cringed a little at Connie's apparent obliviousness). I think I enjoyed Ryan's story more because I didn't know what was going to happen next. And I do like Ryan's character. This was a very standard episode without much that stands out (or stands up under repeated listenings), and I found Eugene's story a bit cheesy and formulaic.