698: Never for Nothing

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

¿Qué es su calificación? (What is your rating?)

1: Una estrella
9%
2: Dos estrellas
No votes
3: Tres estrellas
5%
4: Cuatro estrellas
18%
5: Cinco estrellas
68%

Total votes: 22

Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
698: Never for Nothing

Post by Peachey Keen »

¡Es tiempo para más español y la narrativa!
(It's time for more Spanish and storytelling!)
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I have no rating, because the FOTF player keeps playing "Home Sweet Home" when I click the link. :x

\:D/
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I commented on that when they fixed the video podcasts. That lousy player has been having problems since the very month they switched from Oneplace.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

This link Bren posted works, fortunately. I thought this episode was amazing. An exemplary episode since the 'new' Odyssey began, and thought it was profound and simple and good without being cheesy or over the top. I liked that Whit started a Bible study at the halfway house. I look forward to hearing more about it. I also liked the story Grandma Lucia told and how it connected with Whit's story. I give it a 4.5/5 :)

Till the end of the line.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The best episode of album 54, hands down. It actually made me tear up.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Shennifer wrote:This link Bren posted works, fortunately.
Um, exscuse me. I posted the link here. :anxious:

I was looking forward to this ep a lot and had high expectations for it. And it didn't disappoint! It was fantastic! I half-way guessed about Juan near the end, by the way. It almost made me cry. I didn't expect Lucia's friend to die. Maybe just beak an arm or something.

Another great story from Kathy Buchanan! I say this is up to par with Something Significant. Best show from Album 54 and one of the best of all time!

5/5 stars
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I so totally called her friend dying right at the start... maybe it's just how I think. And I got the bad-kid-is-halfway-guy connection right before they said it as a "oh, duh, of course it's gonna be him."
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

DanP740 wrote:I so totally called her friend dying right at the start... maybe it's just how I think. And I got the bad-kid-is-halfway-guy connection right before they said it as a "oh, duh, of course it's gonna be him."
Yeah, it was predictable, but it was also a really good episode. It's the first real serious episode since the relaunch, and it couldn't have been pulled off better.

By the way: Kathy wrote a serious episode?! 0_o
he/him | a little stinker.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Peachey Keen wrote:
Oh, right....I think I've been used to Bren posting them and didn't even realize it was you. Sorry about that :oops:

Till the end of the line.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Shennifer wrote:
Peachey Keen wrote:
Oh, right....I think I've been used to Bren posting them and didn't even realize it was you. Sorry about that :oops:
Austin beat me to it because I have been quite busy these days.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

That episode had to be the best of album 54. It was powerful, I didn't expect Esperanza to die, may just be seriously injured or something, about a minute before he said it, I figured out that Juan was the halfway house person, but for me, it wasn't an extremely predictable episode. I give it 5 stars.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

SPOILER, SPOILER.

I guess spoiling is fare game in the review threads. >_>
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Gracías Austin, for posting the link. I am in Sweden, so the FOTF player does not always have it ready to go on Saturday.

I liked it, I think it was the first "serious" episode with Abuelita Lucia, the others have been good but more "fun". Though I think I liked it better when the kids called her Abuelita rather than Nanna.

4/5 estrellas.

As a side note, I was listening to My Girl Halliie and the mother in that episode sounds very much like Mrs. Parker.....could it be the same person after so many years?
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I think this episode needed a parental warning. The part about Esperanza dying and the funeral might be too much for younger listeners.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Bren wrote:I think this episode needed a parental warning. The part about Esperanza dying and the funeral might be too much for younger listeners.
I had not thought of that. You are right. Karen, though also dealing with the death of a child had a parental warning. I cannot remember if Lesson from Mike did as well. Will have to relisten.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

As far as I can recall it didn't.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Bren wrote:I think this episode needed a parental warning. The part about Esperanza dying and the funeral might be too much for younger listeners.
I don't know, I mean, it wasn't that bad, and she mentioned it when she was telling Olivia, not in the story itself. I guess I can see your point, but I can also see FOTFs point of view on not putting one. None of my siblings had a issue with it.

I don't think A Lesson From Mike had one either.
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

It took me a while to get around to listening to this episode, but I'm glad I finally did. It teaches a unique and valuable lesson in a clear and effective way.

One thing that struck me about Matthew's side of the story -- in his discussion with Mr. Whittaker after the half-way house scene, he makes a comment about Jay that I find interesting and kind of sad.
Matthew Parker (talking about the half-way house) wrote:Bet you see Jay here in a few years.
If he had been talking about, say, Rodney Rathbone, I think I probably would have blown it off. Maybe it's because the Green Ring Conspiracy was released before this album instead of the other way around, but I've come to view Jay as almost a protagonist -- and imagining that he could end up coming to such a bad end kind of sticks with me. I don't like thinking about the future, and the possibility of me and my friends or acquaintances eventually parting ways (even on good terms), and that kind of reminded me of that.

In any case: I would rate this 5 out of 5 stars, or possibly 90/99.

Edit: After further consideration and listening, I would be fine with bumping up my later rating a bit, to 93 or 94, or even higher. It really has an amazing message and I don't think it would be unfair to give that extra consideration.
Last edited by Bob on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Jesus' Princess wrote:
I don't know, I mean, it wasn't that bad, and she mentioned it when she was telling Olivia, not in the story itself. I guess I can see your point, but I can also see FOTFs point of view on not putting one. None of my siblings had a issue with it.

I don't think A Lesson From Mike had one either.
I agree with Jesus' Princess. There was no need for a parental warning. Besides, most children who have listened and understand this episode probably already know what death is. I knew what death was at a very, very young age.

This is probably my favorite episode of this album! I loved every single thing about it. It was very powerful and inspiring. It almost made me cry. (I have said this before, but for those do don't know, it takes a lot for me to cry.) I give this episode five stars our of five.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I must say, I am so glad I finally listened to this today.

Up till now, I wasn't real fond of Abuelita (sp.?), but I like her a lot better now. This episode for me is most likely my favorite since the relaunch. Absolutely wonderful. :yes: I never made the connection with Juan until it was really spelled out. It had a great message and it was extremely well-written. 5 stars all the way. :)

\:D/