703: The Labyrinth, Part 1

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How many Englishmen is The Labyrinth, Part 1 worth?

Five Englishmens
76%
Four Englishmens
17%
Three Englishmens
7%
Two Englishmens
No votes
Just One Englishmens
No votes

Total votes: 29

Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I really liked it! It was great to have Jason and Dale Jacobs back. :D I'm giving this episode five Englishmen out of five Englishmen. I can't wait until part two comes out!
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Mockingbird
A Grieving Renegade
Location: Running after the reckless protagonist of "Shattering the Dark."

Post by Mockingbird »

I loved this episode and gave it 5/5. I'm in suspense waiting for part 2!!! O.O

As a challenge of sorts with my friend, I jotted down thoughts/observations as I listened to this episode. So, here they be! :D

-These agents can't be ripoffs of Cars 2... The episode was produced before the movie came out!!!

-Oh, darn. They know Jason’s real name. * groans *

-Oh, yay, another henchmen “accidentally” lets some crucial info slip. We DID this in the GRC...

-SUE!!! What is it with kidnapping...kids. :P

-Mycroft! Haha, and was that a Doctor Who reference? :D

-Go, Jason, go! Get out of there!

-Darn. Nice going. Mr. Grote seems to know what he's doing...unfortunately for Jason.

-WHAT IS IT WITH LOST CELL PHONES? Oh, yeah, use the phone that all the villains will have the number to. BRILLIANT. XP Something tells me this is a really bad thing to do, and that it will come back to haunt him...

-Yes. Call your Dad, and do the smart thing.

-DAAAALE!!!! YAYAYAYAY!!! It's good to have him back. * wonders if Robyn is in college at Oxford... ;) *

-Um... This plan could go wrong. Illegal things are a bad idea...

-Oh, good, Sue’s going. For some reason that actually makes me feel better. o.O Although I'm not sure about her. :?

-I can't decide whether to trust Billings, or Florin (less likely), or both, or neither... * sighs * But anyone who accuses Jason doesn't exactly improve my opinion of them... * rolls eyes *

-Niiiiiice. Detective MacIntosh... Yeesh. I love Sue's accent. She's a British version of Buck, who is an American version of Oliver Twist...

-ACKP!!! RUN!!! Run FASTER!!! O.O

On a side note, Dale Jacobs' "direct lies" didn't bother me... He was really trying to protect Jason, in my opinion.

And that concludes my thoughts. :D
Last edited by Mockingbird on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do." --To Kill a Mockingbird

Thanks to snubs for the awesome siggy! ^^;;
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I really really liked this episode, and can't wait for part two! It seemed a little cheesy in places, but overall it was very good. 4 and 1/2 englishmans out of five englishmans :yes:
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

American Eagle wrote:"We just saw the Andrew Llyod Webber musical." This is a blatant lie. Dale said a couple of other things that were intentionally deceptive. Odyssey seems to be doing this a lot; "lying for a good cause". ](*,)
So... do you then have a problem with Jason posing as "The Grinder" or "The Stilletto"? He is basically lying to anyone whom he comes in contact with when under those aliases.
Ryan Matlock
Level 4, Adventures in Odyssey Collector

Post by Ryan Matlock »

I liked the episode. I have actually listened to all Album 55 episodes and I liked the way The Green Ring Conspiracy ended.
However, I would have preferred that Groat get away and come back to haunt Odyssey another day. Now we have no bad guy!
I give 4/5 Englishmen, mainly because I thought the episodes were a bit rushed, and also, because of my complaint in the spoiler. =D>

~~~RyanCummings, Youtuber, producer of the World Famous Odyssey podcast, writing assistant to Brock Eastman, and SUPER AIO fan.
Mockingbird
A Grieving Renegade

Post by Mockingbird »

Christian A. wrote:
American Eagle wrote:"We just saw the Andrew Llyod Webber musical." This is a blatant lie. Dale said a couple of other things that were intentionally deceptive. Odyssey seems to be doing this a lot; "lying for a good cause". ](*,)
So... do you then have a problem with Jason posing as "The Grinder" or "The Stilletto"? He is basically lying to anyone whom he comes in contact with when under those aliases.
* loves this discussion *

First, Truth is very very important. You can't live without Truth.

My thoughts on this particular issue are that, if it becomes a choice between two evils (i.e., lying, or someone's life), you choose the lesser of the two. For example, in The Hiding Place Corrie ten Boom lied about the radio. In this case, Dale was doing this to protect Jason, if indirectly. The humor of the line sort of dampened the effect of that, though...

My two bits. :)
"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do." --To Kill a Mockingbird

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Mockingbird wrote:
Christian A. wrote:

My thoughts on this particular issue are that, if it becomes a choice between two evils (i.e., lying, or someone's life), you choose the lesser of the two. For example, in The Hiding Place Corrie ten Boom lied about the radio. In this case, Dale was doing this to protect Jason, if indirectly. The humor of the line sort of dampened the effect of that, though...

I have had similar discussions with friends (would you lie to Nazis about Jews living in your home?), and I've always taken the side of 'lying is always wrong; choose truth and God will work it out'. However, I really respect ten Boom, so I need to read The Hiding Place. I have read Tramp for the Lord, which is very close to a sequel to it.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

American Eagle wrote:
Mockingbird wrote:
Christian A. wrote:

I have had similar discussions with friends (would you lie to Nazis about Jews living in your home?), and I've always taken the side of 'lying is always wrong; choose truth and God will work it out'. However, I really respect ten Boom, so I need to read The Hiding Place. I have read Tramp for the Lord, which is very close to a sequel to it.
Rahab the harlot in Jericho lied to the guards who came looking for the two spies from Israel. And yet she's commended for her actions in both Hebrews and James, and she's rewarded by Joshua later in the story. Why would God give her such prominence in His Word if her actions were ungodly and if lying is always wrong.

What is your opinion of spies and policemen who often have to lie and deceive people in order to carry out sting operations and the like?
Last edited by Christian A. on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mockingbird
A Grieving Renegade

Post by Mockingbird »

American Eagle wrote:
Mockingbird wrote:
Christian A. wrote:

I can see your point there... * percolates thoughts *

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Did Rahab really lie? I'm probably just forgetting, but I don't remember her telling a direct lie.

My problem with Dale's lie is that it was so unneeded. >_> It was so casual, like he lies all the time. He could've said something truthful or just not said anything at all, but he decides to add in the musical bit. I don't see why the writers felt the need for it.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Mockingbird
A Grieving Renegade

Post by Mockingbird »

American Eagle wrote:Did Rahab really lie? I'm probably just forgetting, but I don't remember her telling a direct lie.

My problem with Dale's lie is that it was so unneeded. >_> It was so casual, like he lies all the time. He could've said something truthful or just not said anything at all, but he decides to add in the musical bit. I don't see why the writers felt the need for it.
Yeah, she did. She said...
Joshua 2:4-6 wrote:"Yes, the men came to me, but I did not know where they had come from. At dusk, when it was time to close the city gate, they left. I don’t know which way they went. Go after them quickly. You may catch up with them.” But she had taken them up to the roof and hidden them under the stalks of flax she had laid out on the roof."
I agree, I didn't like the way they wrote it... It seemed more for laughs than anything else. =P

Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

See what they could have done was just had Sue (or I guess Sew) say that she needed to use the bathroom right away, because she didn't feel well or whatever. She's a girl, it wouldn't have been weird. ;)

They were making an attempt at humor that they probably didn't need to make.
Mockingbird
A Grieving Renegade

Post by Mockingbird »

Agreed.

TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Christian A. wrote:
American Eagle wrote:
Mockingbird wrote:
Christian A. wrote:

Rahab the harlot in Jericho lied to the guards who came looking for the two spies from Israel. And yet she's commended for her actions in both Hebrews and James, and she's rewarded by Joshua later in the story. Why would God give her such prominence in His Word if her actions were ungodly and if lying is always wrong.

What is your opinion of spies and policemen who often have to lie and deceive people in order to carry out sting operations and the like?
Not to mention the fact that David pretty much lied (faking insanity) to protect his men. That counts as a lie, but he's not punished for it (that we know of). Any furthur discussion should be taken to Second Church, methinks. :yes:
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

What does Reggie Finger mean when he says that "Billing's superiors have warned him?" Is someone in the agency a traitor?
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

With all these British accents I kept expecting the Doctor to show up. \:D/

I think this (and part 2, which doesn't have a thread yet for no reason) is the best since the the restart. 5/5
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I like how the episode takes place in London \:D/ Because I love British accents.
*insert provocative quote here*
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Quick question... What do I need to listen to before I hear this? I've heard the Green Ring stories, is that all I need?
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

~JCGJ~ wrote:Quick question... What do I need to listen to before I hear this? I've heard the Green Ring stories, is that all I need?
Yep, just listen in order (so Part I before part II... ) :)
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

DanP740 wrote:With all these British accents I kept expecting the Doctor to show up. \:D/

I think this (and part 2, which doesn't have a thread yet for no reason) is the best since the the restart. 5/5
There is one here a certain someone *Cough Cough Knight Fisher* moved it to episode reviews for some reason ;)

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/