570: "For Better or for Worse I"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of "For Better or for Worse, Part 1"?

5 Stars - Extraordinary!
27%
4 Stars - Fantastic!
62%
3 Stars - Satisfactory!
8%
2 Stars - Disappointing!
3%
1 Star - Terrible!
No votes

Total votes: 37

Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

570: "For Better or for Worse I"

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Discuss the episode here!

...on Saturday morning. :)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Fletcher
Hexadecimal teenager
Location: Smallville, Kansas, with regular commutes to Odyssey, Ohio

Post by Fletcher »

I'm not sure what to think of this episode. It was a mixed episode, with positive and negative points. First the positive points.

Eugene was hillarious, and his personality conflict was perfectly understandble. His "knight-in-shining armor" scenes were hillarious. Tom and Bernard working together was funny too. I was also glad to see that, even though Connie was angry in this episode, she didn't suddenly redux in character development like she has in episodes like "Seeing Red." Her scene with Eugene talking about his wedding vow was perfect.

Now, the negative. I still can't really enjoy Audrey Wasilewski's potrayal of Katrina. She's a good actress, but she just doesn't embody what Katrina was when she was played by Pamela Hayden. She also doesn't have much chemistry with Will Ryan. Katrina and Eugene sounded like casual friends, not two people who are already married and about to renew their vows. Please, AIO producers, if its possible to bring Pamela Hayden back, do so! I would enjoy seeing Ms. Wasilewski in another role, but Katrina doesn't seem like Katrina without Pamela Hayden playing her.

I was also surprised that Katrina gave so easily into her mother's demands. I understand her wanting to please her since her father died, but letting her change everything about the wedding? It seemed out of character. Katrina wasn't nearly as much of a pushover in "Wrapped Around Your Finger." I was also a little disturbed by Tom and Bernard's malicious teasing of Eugene. Talk about bringing him down. I also wish Whit would have done more to stop them!

Overall, I'm not sure what I think of "For Better of For Worse, Part 1." I'll probably have a definite opinion by Part 2. 3 1/2 stars out of 5.
EUGENE IS BACK!!!
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I liked this episode except for one thing. Mille annoys me to death! I can't her voice, and everything she does annoys me. Eugene's drive was hilarious, and connie (constance) is quite funny. All in all I liked it and gave it a 4.
...I hate marquees.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

it was a pretty good episode
Christian Cowgirl
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Christian Cowgirl »

Fletcher wrote:
Now, the negative. I still can't really enjoy Audrey Wasilewski's potrayal of Katrina. She's a good actress, but she just doesn't embody what Katrina was when she was played by Pamela Hayden. She also doesn't have much chemistry with Will Ryan. Katrina and Eugene sounded like casual friends, not two people who are already married and about to renew their vows. Please, AIO producers, if its possible to bring Pamela Hayden back, do so! I would enjoy seeing Ms. Wasilewski in another role, but Katrina doesn't seem like Katrina without Pamela Hayden playing her.

I was also surprised that Katrina gave so easily into her mother's demands. I understand her wanting to please her since her father died, but letting her change everything about the wedding? It seemed out of character. Katrina wasn't nearly as much of a pushover in "Wrapped Around Your Finger."
I thought so too. Also Eugene and Katrina didn't seen natural, when they were dating they seemed like better friends then now. Eugene should know by now that Katrina loves him the way he is and the banter shouldn't have gotten to him. I'd give part one a 3/5.
I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
CapJaneway
OK

Post by CapJaneway »

just for the record,
i miss the old Katrina!!!!!! this new gurl just aint her!!!!!
hello to everyone! it is I Arem852003 from the TH!http://usera.imagecave.com/Turmacrolly/4capjaneway.gif
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Wow! That was a hanger for sure. I have mixed thoughts like many.

It was very good.....it wasn't very good. I really like the fued between Millie, and Connie. That is very funny.

But, Eugene in a conertible? Wow. That just doesn't seem right! I am not complaining, I am just saying that sounds very funny! :D
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I really enjoyed this episode! =D>
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Does Millie have a new voice? :-k
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Chandler wrote:Does Millie have a new voice? :-k
She does. ](*,)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Fletcher
Hexadecimal teenager
Location: Smallville, Kansas, with regular commutes to Odyssey, Ohio

Post by Fletcher »

Millie had a new voice, but its the same voice she had in "Plan B: Missing In Action."
EUGENE IS BACK!!!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Chandler wrote:Does Millie have a new voice? :-k
She does. ](*,)
](*,) No wonder I felt like she was a different person. I felt the same way when listening to Plan B after hearing "Wrapped Around Your Finger."

Katrina's new voice is killing me as well. I'm not complaining about her acting ability or even "chemistry." She's just not Katrina. I really hope they bring Pam Hayden back even if these shows have a different voice. :pray:
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Chandler wrote:Katrina's new voice is killing me as well. I'm not complaining about her acting ability or even "chemistry." She's just not Katrina. I really hope they bring Pam Hayden back even if these shows have a different voice. :pray:
I'm actually warming up to Audrey Wasilewski. She's done an admirable job thus far . . . even though there's a distinct difference between her voice and that of Pam Hayden's.
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Sat May 14, 2005 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:I'm actually warming up to Audrey Wasilewski. She's done an admirable job thus far . . . even though there's a distinct difference between her voice and that of Pam Hayden's.
That's what I don't like. I said it wasn't her acting that I can't stand... it's her voice in place of Katrina's. :(
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

This episode was okay. Eugene was great. He has been since his return. I did not like Mrs. Shanks at all. She came across as very controlling and difficult. I thought Connie's anger and fustration was justified where Mrs. Shanks was concerned. I actually liked Mrs. Shanks until this episode. Tom and Bernard's teasing of Eugene was very excessive and cruel. The writers could have handled that alot better. Whit should have stepped in and stopped it. I was disappointed that neither Eugene or Katrina were able to stand up to Katrina's mother, it is supposed to be their wedding after all. Katrina's statement that her father always knew what to say sends the message that Mr. Shanks fought her battles for her and that Katrina cannot stand up for herself. It made her character seem weak.
3/5.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Chandler wrote: I really hope they bring Pam Hayden back even if these shows have a different voice. :pray:
From what I've heard, since Katrina has re-entered the show in the voice she has now they're going to keep the new voice.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I believe Nathan Hoobler gave a solid explanation in the topic, "From Where I Sit."

This is a much-discussed topic and understandably so. It’s strange to hear a beloved character with a new voice, even a voice as incredibly talented as Audrey Wasilewski’s. I can’t get into all the specifics of what happened, but I want to assure everyone that it has nothing to do with money, contracts, or anything like that. We wanted Pam Hayden back and Pam wanted to come back, but an on-going circumstance prevented it from happening. Trust me, we thought of all the options of recording her, including doing it “wild,” but it didn’t work out. So, Audrey will be Katrina for the foreseeable future. I’d encourage you to listen to a few more episodes with her before you pass judgment.

See what you think after the wedding episodes.

I'm already liking the chemistry between Will and Audrey. While her voice is admittedly different, I'm beginning to like it more. At least, I'm not noticing the differences as much as I did in "A Most Surprising Answer." :-k
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Since I haven't heard the voice of the old Katrina in quite some time, I am quite at ease with the new actor. I think she does a marvelous job and still has Katrinaness about her.

Another thing I liked about the episode was AIO's renewed reliance on Tom and Bernard as the comedy team. They were very funny--especially trying to book the 16-piece orchestra! :)

Overall, a 4/5.
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

This was the best episode of the season by far. Tom, Whit and Bernard and Eugene together again evoked memories of "Flash Flood". The writing was great - the jokes hilarious (and true to character - Tom and Bernard picking on YOU-gene (Tom)) and Connie's frustration was believable.

For those commenting on Katrina's new voice: I too at first was uncomfortable with it, but as Trent says, the chemistry is developing. Katrina and Eugene's dialogue in the car was clever and caused you to forget it wasn't the former actress.

C'mon, if you can accept and get used to a new Whit (the central AIO figure) you certainly can accept a new Katrina - who up to that time had only apeared in 20-25 episodes!

Seriously - I give the episode high marks, great job.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Flyah wrote:C'mon, if you can accept and get used to a new Whit (the central AIO figure) you certainly can accept a new Katrina - who up to that time had only apeared in 20-25 episodes!
I will not convert. :noway:

I adjusted to the new Whit because I had no choice. Hal Smith is dead.
When I consider how close it appears we were to getting Pam Hayden back, I can only keep hoping she will return yet. :pray:

The voice difference is so clear to me (clearer than when I first heard the new Whit), that I feel like it's an entirely different person that Eugene married. ](*,)