704: The Labyrinth Part 2

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What's your rating for this episode?

5: Smashing!
76%
4: Jolly good show
18%
3: Right-o
No votes
2: Naff
6%
1: Rubbish!
No votes

Total votes: 17

Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
704: The Labyrinth Part 2

Post by Peachey Keen »

The plot thickens!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

After being a really good plot last time all it is now is the Hardy Boys. The plot thicken. The Hero gets captured. The villain explains his devious plan. The hero escapes and saves the day. And didn't Grote believe he didn't have the code a wee bit to quickly?

3 Stars, nothing new.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

I thought it was interesting that there was a "previously on Adventures in Odyssey" segment before the show. We haven't had one of those since probably...The Top Floor? Or maybe it's just that all of the album versions take them out, so I wouldn't know. Anyway, I thought it was kind of weird. It seemed to be mostly a time-filler, because it lasted a looong time: almost two whole minutes! ;)

Now to the first real scene. I was hoping for a chase scene, but the episode starts with Dale and Sew back with Jason and Ann, and they brought Jason's secret suitcase with them. Does anyone else think that Ann sounds really young? I think she sounds just like Alicia Jennings in The Myster of the Clock Tower. She doesn't fit very well with Dale. I liked her old voice much better. I wonder what happened to the actress? I loved how Dale had to explain the Alamo to Sew. That's another thing you don't think about very often--Americans are typically some of the only people who know and care about American history. Hmmm. Jason wants Ann to hide the secret stuff from him so that he won't know where it is, if asked. I wonder who he suspects he might run into....

Is anyone else wondering what I'm wondering? Are you going to eat those french fries? Are you going to eat that cake? Why is Sew so crazy about food and yet at the same time so easily able to fit in Jason's suitcase? :P Already I'm starting to not like Ann so much. Turn himself in? What kind of an idea is that? And then she almost sounded like Wooton when she said, "I'm still stuck on the part about Reggie Fingers being a real name." Ugh. But then she gets helpful when she knows what the Julius House is. Asian artifacts, Mr. Grote comes from Hong Kong. I'm thinking Jason's going to find Mr. Grote there....And apparently Jason's thinking the same thing. Off to the next scene!

Oh, wait, no, not off the the next scene. Off to a commercial. Even more time-filling! Okay, now back to the episode. Sew's gone? That can't be good. Maybe they'll meet up with her later. I don't think they'd just take her totally out of the show like that without a goodbye-and-thank-you scene.

Now we're at the auction. And they find some climate-controlled vases connected to *insert epic music* The Prominent Company. Really? The Prominent Company? That is a very generic name for such a high-profile organization. I guess that could be the point, but whatever.

Okay, the auction's about to start. Seriously? We're already in the hundreds of thousands?! What kind of money do these people have? Is this in pounds or dollars? So, Lord Brownlough is winning everything from The Prominent Company. And Jason goes off to talk with him? That's sort of unusual. I would have thought he'd stay more undercover than that.

I can't tell if Lord Brownlough knows anything or not. His comments before and after he knew anyone was listening weren't suspicious, and he seemed to have a good enough explanation for his actions. Maybe he's being totally controlled by someone else.

Next scene, our favorite Odysseyans are leaving the auction, but an alarm goes off. Somebody collapsed at the loading dock, maybe from something toxic. I would have hesitated to believe it, thinking it was a show staged by Mr. Grote to cover something up, but apparently Jason's going with it.

Now Jason turns to the "Alamo" backup plan. I don't know why he's having Dale enter the codes on the computer when he could do it himself. I guess we'll find out. Uh-oh. Jason's getting unsure of himself. That's never good. He agrees with Dale that everything may end in tragedy.

Okay, so now Sew's back, and she knows about the accident with the toxic chemicals. Apparently the whole thing was real, and it was one of Reggie Fingers' men who passed out. And now the crate is in the hands of the Hazardous Materials Squad. I wonder where that will go.

Then Sue, again, gets ready to show off her skills and she and Jason head to "the back way in" to Intensive Care.

Wow! That was a surprise. Agent Billings shoved Jason back into the hallway. It would seem that he still trusts Jason enough to get him out of trouble. But I wonder what he was doing there... *more epic music*

If I could say "what the heck" I would. Well, I guess I just did. That next scene was really weird. Apparently Billings is really, really mad at Jason for not contacting him. Really mad. But he has some really good information about Koflax and its connection to Mr. Grote. Oh no! That's the connection the event at the British museum! It wasn't the Hazardous Materials Squad that took the crate; it was more of Reggie Fingers' men! Grote's going to suffocate all those world leaders!

This story is getting better all the time. The plot elements are way more exciting than those of the Green Ring Conspiracy. Suffocating the President of the U.S.A. and the Prime Minister of England, along with several leaders from Asia is on such a much larger scale than the GRC that it's hard to believe Grote was in charge of both. Wait, now Sew is the traitor?! I wonder what Reggie had to do to her to get her to go along with him. Or has she been working for him the whole time?

YES! We finally meet Mr. Grote! I really like his voice. It's the perfect mix of deep and Asian to sound sinister and villainy. What? Jason just lunged at Grote? I agree with him, "Such violence is uncharacteristic of you, Jason....Please." What was that? Well, at least he still has some sense left in him: the codes Dale entered into the laptop were destructive to Grote's whole computer system. Oh wait. No, it's not just destructive. It sends all of his files to the authorities...and then it destroys the system. And I love it that all Mr. Grote says is, "This is unfortunate." He is the greatest villain ever! Wait. The "worm" doesn't activate until midnight? What's up with that? Why not just have it activate as soon as it was uploaded?

Now Reggie Fingers is off to find out more information from Jason, "by whatever means necessary." But now the episode is done, and we have to wait until next week to see what kind of torture will be inflicted upon him. Thankfully this isn't as much of a cliffhanger as we got last week. But we still don't know what will happen to those gathering at the British Museum that night. This is so great!
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

I'm with Christian: This is way more compelling than the GRC (though, tbh, I'm not really a fan of the GRC in general).

I do think it makes good sense that Mr. Grote was in charge of both, though; can all of one's criminal operations be this large-scale? For all we know Mr. Grote was preparing this Labyrinth scheme while the GRC unfolded...perhaps the GRC was even going to help fund the Labyrinth scheme (not to mention the many "henchmen" on various levels he would gain; you never know when those might come in handy).

I'm tired and was multitasking while listening, so I'm going to have to listen again in order to get more details, but I kind of assumed Sew was caught and told to bring Jason, after which she could go. She was, of course, double-crossed again in this regard (she brought Jason, but was then not allowed to leave).

I like how Mr. Grote didn't show up in the GRC, seeing as it rather was of a lesser scale.

I also quite like Jason's code on Mr. Grote's computer (system, is it?). Whether he's bluffing or not, that's just the sort of thing he would do. (Incidentally, I think I hope he's not bluffing because that could make for some very nice action later on (time bombs--gotta love 'em).) I actually didn't think it was strange that Mr. Grote suspected a bluff this early--it could be strange, it just didn't strike me as such. Someone in Mr. Grote's position would naturally be inclined to suspect things like that; he did seem a little worried (as much as someone that smooth can seem worried).

[Closing statement about how I am very much looking forward to the next episode and how I like this adventure quite well so far]
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

*moves to Episode Reviews*
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Mockingbird
A Grieving Renegade
Location: Running after the reckless protagonist of "Shattering the Dark."

Post by Mockingbird »

Wow...

That cliffhanger at the end is driving me CRAZY, maybe even more than last week's. o.O They are going to torture my favorite character. Wonderful. Now I know how my readers feel. :P O.O

My thoughts:

-Yes! They made it! Haha, I love Dale. And...huh. They ditched the suitcase. Oooh, really cool briefcase, though.

-Jason must know something is up. o.O He's going to tell Ann and Dale. Hmmm.

-French fries? She's British. I wonder who wrote that line... Oi.

-Jason. Alamo. Wait a second. I love Sue's reaction. "The what?" (Ann sounded a little bit like Monica Stone here... O.O)

-Sue left. Something about the way she signed the letter is nagging at me...

-Score for shopping! I'm liking Ann's knowledge here. :D And... Nice, Jason. =P Lord Brownlough is really good, if he's in on this. He's fielding these questions like a pro.

-Back to the Alamo. "You know, Jason, that the real Alamo ended in tragedy." "I know." Jason is really scaring me here. When he says things like that, in that tone... It's not good. At. All. * freaks out *

-Okay, I'm back. Ooh. Billings is not happy. Not at all. And Jason would like it if Billings would let him go now... =P

-Biological terrorism. You're kidding. O.O Wow. (I think this is based off the whole anthrax thing back in 2001. Building in Florida are still quarantined from that.... Hmm.)

-Waugh! Poor Sue. She sounds like she's so miserable she's going to be sick. :( She's really pulling at me here. * snuffles * Yay for conflicted characters. Speaking of characters...Reggie Fingers is getting on my nerves. A lot.

-Strike that. I now despise Reggie Fingers. "Wakey, wakey, Jason!" Ickpth. * growls *

-Mr. Grote didn't sound like what I expected, but...wow. That's a FANTASTIC casting job.

-Jason...? That is rather...unexpected. But I like that he's sticking up for Sue. I love their interactions. :D Hmmm. It appears he has the plan figured out wrong.

-Oh, wow. That IS a humdinger of a worm! I love the way he's talking in this part of the situation. That reckless, I'm-not-afraid-of-you sarcasm. It's good to have Jason back.

-NO! Do NOT give Reggie free reign! No, no, no! * headdesks * And that's the end!?!?!?!?!?! No! * dies *

My face will be like O.O until Saturday, or when I can get part 3... (Hopefully tomorrow after I take this huge Latin test... =P O.O)
"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do." --To Kill a Mockingbird

Thanks to snubs for the awesome siggy! ^^;;
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

After all those thorough reviews I don't even feel worthy to add my two-cent's worth to the mix. :anxious:

I really liked it. :yes: Except that whoever plays Sue (Sew?) sounds a lot like the person who played Betsy Ann in the Lamplighter Theater story, A Peep Behind the Scenes. I really don't like her voice. :no: But the story otherwise is fantastic. I hope they do more episodes like this in the future. \:D/

\:D/
Mockingbird
A Grieving Renegade
Location: Running after the reckless protagonist of "Shattering the Dark."

Post by Mockingbird »

Christian A wrote:He is the greatest villain ever! Wait. The "worm" doesn't activate until midnight? What's up with that? Why not just have it activate as soon as it was uploaded?
I think Jason was buying time... As long as there is a chance of them stopping it (AKA, trying to get information we know he doesn't have! =P), they won't "eliminate him."
"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do." --To Kill a Mockingbird

Thanks to snubs for the awesome siggy! ^^;;
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

Mr Grote sounds like Maxim a little maybe too much and Reggie sounds really wierd and to slick.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

My review of the first two, blog format \:D/
BUT TO BE NICE. I shall hastily rush through reviewing the episode. .not that many of you even care that I do/do not review them, anyways xD

Okay. I listened to Episode 1 when it came out. .and the last 2 today. And to sum them all up, they're totally awesome. Why? IT TAKES PLACE IN FREAKING LONDON, FOLKS. That's ENGLAND. HOME OF DOCTOR WHO! *dies* Every time I watch a Dr. Who episode, I feel compelled to walk around the house talking in a British accent. AND WE HAD FISH AND CHIPS! *dies again* FISH AND CHIPS! Ahem.

So besides it being in England. .we have Jason! And no Penny/Wooton/Whit/Eugene/Connie! Seriously, they've become the major characters of the show, and it's quite annoying. It was nice to have only Jason, and a brand new host of memorable characters: Sew, Agent Billings, Mycroft, Mr. Grote, and all the others. And of course, we can't forget Dale and Ann.

Let's talk about Dale and Ann really quickly. To be frank, I disliked Ann for the most part. She sounded far too young to be Dale's wife, more like his daughter. Also, she seemed to be that. .comical character. Seriously, AIO? Seriously? Wooton's enough. In the middle of danger, we don't need another Wooton-ripoff! After a dangerous escapade, she's all "OMGSH THAT WAS TOTALLY AWESOME LETS DO THAT AGAIN ROFL!!" (I exaggerated. A little.) For example, when Dale and Jason had their talk, she interrupts, "I still can't believe Reggie Finger's a real name." Now, I'm like, "QUIET, WOMAN! GO BACK INTO THE KITCHEN AND MAKE ME MY SAMMICH."

Now, to the actual adventure itself. Yes, London. Instant epic points. The MI5? More epic points. Awesome accents that sound FAR better than the annoying Jacques? UBER MEGA AWESOME POINTS. So we open up with Agent Billings and. .the other agent *goes to check who it was* ah, yes, Agent Florin are talking. I find it quite nice that we have little back story and jump into the adventure quickly. .with a bunch of weird names. The Grinder? Reggie Fingers? I instantly liked Reggie Fingers because of his sense of. .sarcasm and his weird name. And then we meet Sue. She. .wasn't a character I liked that much, but her wit for such a young age made her. .a dimensional character.

*fast forwards now rapidly*

Jason calls Whit. .but nothing ever came out of that. Interesting. And then we're introduced to Dale and Ann. .and BOY, has it been a long time. I only wished we could have had Melanie and Robyn after all this time. Dale and Sue end up going to the hotel to retrieve the suitcase. .and there's some lying, as expected. We keep dealing with this theme so much that it's almost. .repetitive. That was basically GRC, and now this again. All "the labyrinth". ENOUGH OF IT ALREADY.

Sue fits in a suitcase? Seriously? That's a little. .impossible. I mean, no matter how small. .I don't really think that's possible. And of course, we have a good old fashioned chase. .and we jump into the next episode.

Hmm, we had a previously segment. I like. But it was far too long, peoples :P WE DON'T NEED AN ENTIRE RECAP! Then we see what's in the briefcase. .along with smart remarks from Ann and Sue -_- Nice stuff, though. .and then the Alamo. Most interesting. It was a little predictable that Jason would ask Ann to hide it somewhere that he wouldn't know as that's what they always do =P

Then we had the auction scene, which was quite reminscient to the GRC scene, along with the one with Wooton and Victoria. For once Ann played a useful role and gave Jason some information, so she's better than Wooton, just by that. SORRY, WOOTON. OR NOT. The conversation Jason had with Lord Brownlow was an interesting one, especially after Jason had to untie the poor driver at the end. I immediately felt suspicious of the Lord, and for hopefully obvious reasons. The US President? Niiiice. Now, I was just thinking, because this is fictional and all, how does this relate to real life? I mean, President Obama never went over there. .and nothing like this ever happened, so how far to the edge of fiction does Odyssey push it all?

Up to this point, I wasn't all that impressed with the episodes. .besides the accents :P It still seemed somewhat childish, but it took a turn starting with the toxic chemical spills. SOUND THE ALARM! IT'S TIME! Jason initiates the Alamo, and one of the best scenes (second only to the next-to-last scene of Episode 3) happens right there. The Alamo ended in tragedy. .just like this could. And Jason agrees. I died right then. .and chewed more fingernails. (As I type this, all my fingernails are gone :P I ate them all *coughs*)

And he's off to the hospital, and once more Sue saves the day. .I do wonder what had happened before in the hospital, though. Nothing good though. And then, BOO! Agent Billings! AW YEAH. WE HAVE A SCUFFLE! #winner There was none of this in GRC. .we really need this :P And then we learn all about Koflax. .which reminds me just a little bit about Ruku. Everything starts to fall in place now, and the climax (sort of) begins. Billings leaves, Sue comes up to Jason and tells him she's sorry. Now, in retrospect, I wonder. She said she was sorry, twice here. Could it be that she began to feel guilty when she saw him then and apologized later? *shrugs*

Now for the final scene of this episode! We finally meet *drum roll* MISTERRRRR GRRROOTTEEEEE. And to be frank. .he didn't impress me much :P His first line was okay, but after that. .he was *not* that impressive. His voice just tuned me off. I WILL give him credit because he kept his cool despite everything Jason said--smart cookie, that Jason. And then the conclusion: Use whatever methods you need to get the truth. My goodness. EPIC WIN. This got better and better. .

To end this all off, here is some of the background music I was listening to while working:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKqjz8ZHU6c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scjl7wi1BS4

Yes, foreign music. There was Danish, Dutch, and Japanese as well. ENJOY
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Mockingbird wrote:-French fries? She's British. I wonder who wrote that line... Oi.
Reading someone's review above yours I just noticed that. :shame:
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.