706: To Mend Or Repair

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

Episode rating?

5/5 Two milkshakes and a hug.
52%
4/5 Open heart, and maybe a tissue.
40%
3/5 Nonfiction boredom. :P
4%
2/5 I listened in dreamland. :snore:
No votes
1/5 Really? :roll: Take a chill pill.
4%

Total votes: 25

The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

706: To Mend Or Repair

Post by The Kings Daughter »

\:D/ I loved how this ended..^_^

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Thoughts.

I really like more Whit. There's no way I can get used to the change if he's not in more episodes. I actually like him in this one. And he actually told a Bible story in this one. Awesome. \:D/ But, um. Wouldn't a talking portrait be created originally by Whit? Meaning no drivers to update. And why on earth would it happen to effect the program in that way? Image

But overall it was a really, really good episode. Jay is my favorite new character. 5/5
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

The Bible story definitely made it feel like the older AIO. :D

I wish they hasn't done library activities, though. They made the group seem like a cruel and geeky group. The point wasn't, never get involved in a library, it was to not get sidetracked from the real solution. O:) Just seemed like a poor example.

Jay's time was priceless. xD I hope we hear him doing his new 'job' in future episodes. \:D/

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
whittaker96
Gold Member

Post by whittaker96 »

I really want to say that the Odyssey we know and love is starting to come back...but I want to listen to the rest of Album 55 first.

-Whit continues to grow on me, and this was one of his best episodes to date. I loved the Mary and Martha story and him talking to Eugene.
-Eugene and Katrina's storyline was executed beautifully. The music was rich, the scenes were handled delicately, and the ending scene was classic wonderful Odyssey. Mrs. Kramer, along with Jay in "Unbecoming Jay," have made me laugh the hardest since Odyssey, Generation 3, began.
-I'm guessing Barrett and Priscilla's storyline was not the one the writers started with; they were probably looking for a subplot with the kids. While I enjoyed the B story, and it meshed well with the A story in terms of theme, the A story was far stronger than this one, contrary to "Anger Mismanagement," "Best of Enemies," "Wooing Wooton," etc. Personally, I just didn't think Jay was all that funny in this episode, although I did enjoy Barrett and Priscilla.
-So, Barrett wants to be the "voice of the school?" Maybe he could intern for CRYIN' BRYAN DERN! :D
-Yay! Connie was Connie!
-Thomas Jefferson has been a popular historical figure-in the Imagination Station in "Fast As I Can" and his Portrait in this one.

88/100

EDIT: After a relisten, Barrett's story grew on me. 92/100
Last edited by whittaker96 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Welcome back, grumpy-version-of-Rudy-Sutton. \:D/

Also, I agree with everything whittaker96 said; especially the second dashed section.

Four good episodes to start the album. I'll take it!
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

But why on earth did it need a drivers update? That made no sense. :mad:
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

When the librarian said she worked for the town of Odyssey, what do you think I thought of? :- I'm still listening. But the line about the punch and cookies at archery class was hilarious. I'm liking it so far...

\:D/
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

I think AIO is going back up finally. This episode was really good. Priscilla's voice has changed a little.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

At first I liked the Eugene/Katrina story better since it tackled a big issue [infertility], then the Barrett/Priscilla/Jay story grew on me when Barrett invited Jay to do the announcements and the two were sparring back and forth. That was hilarious.

Bringing in infertility was brilliant. (I wonder how that was decided. Future question for a podcast?) It addresses the incessant question of the fans about Eugene and Katrina having kids. It either settles the question once and for all OR buys time for healing, adoption, etc. I would say foster children but we already saw that recently with the Washingtons and Kelly.

Both stories were a man comforting a woman. It would have been interesting to hear about a man needing to be comforted.
whittaker96 wrote:-So, Barrett wants to be the "voice of the school?" Maybe he could intern for CRYIN' BRYAN DERN! :D
Haha, I love it.

EDIT: Just listened to the end of The Labyrinth, Part 3 where Dale Jacobs comforts and prays for Jason. I feel like a glib go-fish player: "Got what I asked for!"
Last edited by Taq on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Matlock
Level 4, Adventures in Odyssey Collector

Post by Ryan Matlock »

I wasn't quite sure if I liked this one. It seemed hard to follow because it kept switching between Eugene and Katrina and Barrett and Priscilla. Also, it didn't seem like there was much of a lesson being learned. I mean, I understand that you should listen to people's problems but it is also good to help them with their problems by taking action too. It also seemed like it dragged along without much happening. The scenes with Katrina just watching fishing seemed very slow. I rated this 4/5 but i think it is a little closer to 3/5.

~~~RyanCummings, Youtuber, producer of the World Famous Odyssey podcast, writing assistant to Brock Eastman, and SUPER AIO fan.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Wow. I honestly don't know how to put into words how I feel about this episode. It was incredible. Especially the Eugene and Katrina half. Part of me wishes that the entire episode had been about them, but the other part is glad there was the Barret and Priscilla story to keep it a bit lighter. Both stories were well done. When Whit said they had seen their doctor, my first thought was a miscarriage - which would have actually been an excellent episode (and then I just remembered they did that with Forever, Amen), so while my mind was in the right place, the actual diagnosis shocked me. I feel for Eugene and Katrina. My heart breaks for them - I almost started crying at the news. As a wife, I can't imagine the pain that Katrina must be feeling. However, I cannot wait to see what happens next with this situation. Will they do foster care? Or maybe someday down the road, God will do a miracle, and they will get pregnant! Either way, the issue of them having kids was sewn up nicely.

This episode was so real on both counts. As a wife, I want my husband to just sit and cry with me sometimes when something terrible has happened, or just listen and let me talk, or go do something with me like Priscilla did with Barret.

Gentlemen, a word of advice: there are times when we want you to fight our battles for us (like Barret tried to do with Priscilla), and there are times when we just want you to sit and listen to us. As long as you listen first before acting, and help your girl out, you will do them a world of help and healing, and it will mean more to her than anything.

Overall, an excellent episode, and again going on my favorites list. Whit and Connie were great also. 5/5

(side question, why didn't they just keep the character as Edith Sutton since the voice is the same?)
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I was dreading hearing this show because I was afraid my suspicions would be correct. And I was. Katrina can't have a baby. I think that's just an easy way for the writers to end fans questions about it and so "Eugene's character doesn't change." I was kind of mad but I was almost cried in a few parts in the show. I felt so bad for Eugene and Katrina!

I thought I wouldn't realy care about the Barrett/Priscilla storyline but it was surprisingly good. The first thing I noticed was that Priscilla's voice was depper. Woah! I don't think those 2 will last past Album 56. But if they go, I hope Emily goes with them. O Happy Day! \:D/

I think this episode was great! We finally get more serious stuff without a whole lot of comical stuff spoiling it. Whit was awesome and Connie was okay. 4/5 stars for me.
Mockingbird
A Grieving Renegade
Location: Running after the reckless protagonist of "Shattering the Dark."

Post by Mockingbird »

This episode... Wow. This album is shaping up to be a really good one.

I gave this episode 4/5 stars. Whit told a story, which made his character a lot more...Whit-like? The Eugene and Katrina storyline was really touching. And when Eugene started crying... Oh, man, I was getting close to tears myself. My Mom had a good comment, though, that that storyline seemed a little...mature for the target age range. =P

The Barrett and Priscilla storyline... I really didn't like that as much. Jay was awesome, though. Once he caught on those lines were tongue twisters... \:D/ When Barrett was going off to do his plan, though, it was bugging me...I was thinking of Ryan Cummings in 54. =P Forever Bad Idea. Anywho...

I'm definitely tuning in next week.
"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do." --To Kill a Mockingbird

Thanks to snubs for the awesome siggy! ^^;;
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Knight Fisher wrote:But why on earth did it need a drivers update? That made no sense. :mad:
From my semi-technical experience, often a driver (e.g. an audio driver) can go bad and mess up the audio. A fix or replacement is needed.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

JesusFreak777 wrote:Wow. I honestly don't know how to put into words how I feel about this episode. It was incredible. Especially the Eugene and Katrina half. Part of me wishes that the entire episode had been about them, but the other part is glad there was the Barret and Priscilla story to keep it a bit lighter. Both stories were well done. When Whit said they had seen their doctor, my first thought was a miscarriage - which would have actually been an excellent episode (and then I just remembered they did that with Forever, Amen), so while my mind was in the right place, the actual diagnosis shocked me. I feel for Eugene and Katrina. My heart breaks for them - I almost started crying at the news. As a wife, I can't imagine the pain that Katrina must be feeling. However, I cannot wait to see what happens next with this situation. Will they do foster care? Or maybe someday down the road, God will do a miracle, and they will get pregnant! Either way, the issue of them having kids was sewn up nicely.
They discussed miscarriage in forever amen, yes but there are so many flaws with it (OK, they just heard the baby's heartbeat at the doctor's and then a few minutes later mom knows "something's wrong" and baby died? Really, that's not how it happens since most MC symptoms don't occur until at least a week after the baby's already died...and then they practically blame the mom "have you been staying off your feet?" like staying off your feet is going to help since most mc are due to chromosomal abnormalities).

Sorry for the semi-off topic rant.

I did like this episode, although I think the Eugene - Katrina part was much better done than the Barrett Priscilla part. I do agree friends and spouses don't always know what to do when their friend/spouse is hurting. I am glad Eugene finally just spend time with Katrina. Sometimes friends don't need to find great words to say, there aren't words, you just give your presence and don't abandon a hurting friend.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

EUCC-I agree with you about Forever, Amen. I listen to that alot since On Earth as it is in Heaven is what I listen to when I am depressed (which is alot lately) to remind myself God is in control. That last episode always struck me as "odd", but it is still "listenable".

Now for To Mend or Repair. This is the best episode since the relaunch. Yes I enjoyed The Jubilee Singers, The Labrynth, and Grandma´s Christmas Visit among others, but this one was spot on psychologically. I think the parallels between how Eugene behaved and how Barrett behaved match precisely how men and women respond differently. Men want to DO something while sometimes women just need to sit on the couch, watch fishing and mourn. I thought Eugene trying to get Katrina involved at the library was hilarious because I had a similar experience when I was facing a life change. I went to the library and tried to join a couple of reading groups and a film club mainly because they were free and it was something to do. I am not saying libraries are bad things, but it is hilarious that I had the same reaction. It could have something to do with the motives in joining.....in my case, I just wanted something to do and meet new people, but the groups were really "closed".

It will be interesting to see where the Eugene/Katrina story goes from here. As a former foster child, Eugene could certainly be open to having one, and as a reviewer on another forum also said, it could be a way to bring in a child with an already developed personality as opposed to a baby. Also, miracles do occur in this area every day, so it is also not a totally closed door as far as the writing is concerned, but I do think it was written so that at least for now, fans will stop asking.

I do wish Connie would get a stable relationship in her life. I am still voting for Jason as it looks like he might be returning to Odyssey. :-)
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I really like it, the storyline about Eugene and Katrina was well done (except for the book club scene...) I like Pricillas voice finally, and the Barret and Jay scene was a win \:D/ 4.5/5
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

I think Focus did a lovely job with the Eugene and Katrina storyline, as much as I would live to "see" them have children, Focus opened another door that allows foster or adoption to come into the picture, Eugene was missing so much and it took a good old fashion Whit lesson to help him and Katrina. The Barrett and Pricilla storyline was rather spontaneous feeling, it seemed like a very quick written sub plot, but the overall moral was sort of brought across, the best scene in the Barrett and Pricilla storyline was Jay and the tongue twisters. The best Eugene and Katrina scene was the last one, it was so sweet. Did anyone notice that Pricilla asks for a chocolate milkshake, but in the malted milkball falcon she says she's allergic to chocolate. Overall 4/5 it would be 5/5, but the Barrett and Pricilla part wasn't very well done.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Graces4you wrote:I think Focus did a lovely job with the Eugene and Katrina storyline, as much as I would live to "see" them have children, Focus opened another door that allows foster or adoption to come into the picture, Eugene was missing so much and it took a good old fashion Whit lesson to help him and Katrina. The Barrett and Pricilla storyline was rather spontaneous feeling, it seemed like a very quick written sub plot, but the overall moral was sort of brought across, the best scene in the Barrett and Pricilla storyline was Jay and the tongue twisters. The best Eugene and Katrina scene was the last one, it was so sweet. Did anyone notice that Pricilla asks for a chocolate milkshake, but in the malted milkball falcon she says she's allergic to chocolate. Overall 4/5 it would be 5/5, but the Barrett and Pricilla part wasn't very well done.
I did catch that :)
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

Knight Fisher wrote:But why on earth did it need a drivers update? That made no sense. :mad:
because Whit used some third parry stuff. Even if he built the hardware, he could still be running Linux on it. And the speakers or audio card could also be third party so surely there is something that has a driver.