713: Something Old, Something New Part 1

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

Rate this episode

5 bubble blowers
47%
4 flower bouquets
29%
3 veils
12%
2 rings
6%
1 bride
6%

Total votes: 17

DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

So... why are you posting it in here?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Because I couldn't wait another week...
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
connies#1fan
Found

Post by connies#1fan »

All I can think is WOW! I was totally surprised with the end of this episode. I just could not believe that I was hearing Mitch. At first I did not believe that it was supposed to be Mitch. It was not until Connie yelled "Mitch" that I was totally convinced that it was actually him. I was so excited to get to hear him again!!! :)
"The Call" - Regina Spektor
You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say good bye..
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Could was the key word, Laurie. ;) Connie's what the writers make her. \:D/

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I enjoyed this episode up until the end, then it was ruined by the arrival of Mitch. I am still holding out for Jason and Connie to eventually wind up together. I do not see how any good can come of Mitch being back, though I did enjoy the foreshadowing of the entire episode. makes me want to go back and listen to Something Blue again. I think Connie does need to get married and face some adult issues. With Eugene and Katrina facing the challenge of infertility and dealing with such hard things, it does not seem fair to keep holding Connie back. I would much have preferred that Jason show up when he gets her "annoucement" and try to talk her out of it. I am actually liking Wooton more since the relaunch, well, maybe not the Broken Pencil Show, but otherwise he has been both interesting AND entertaining. I liked the comment about the emoticons. I just cannot get into the whole Matthew Parker/Emily Jones detective agency thing, guess I am too old (though I LOVED The Last Chance Detectives) When I first looked at whitsend.org, it almost seemed like they were playing both halves this weekend. THat would have been awesome for those of us who do not own the album yet. It is not available for purchase until June in Europe. :-(
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Jason's like 30 years older than Connie...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

DanP740 wrote:Jason's like 30 years older than Connie...
He is older, but I think 30 years is a bit much...........15 maybe. My husband was 12 years older than I am and so is my cousin´s. It is not unheard of...............Maybe he likes her spunk and she likes his maturity and intrigue...........it could work. I have always thought they had "chemistry" since For Whom the Bells Toll. Now Connie is at least 20, which if you use 15, only makes Jason 35...which sounds about right. :D

Happy Mother´s Day to any moms out there!
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Jerry died in the Vietnam war, right? That means he left 1975 at the latest. Jason was probably about 13 when Jerry left, which means he would be approximately 50 now (13+25 to get to 2000 then twelve years since then equals 50). Connie is probably about 20-25. That means she is about 25 years younger than Jason, give or take a few.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Astronomer wrote:Jerry died in the Vietnam war, right? That means he left 1975 at the latest. Jason was probably about 13 when Jerry left, which means he would be approximately 50 now (13+25 to get to 2000 then twelve years since then equals 50). Connie is probably about 20-25. That means she is about 25 years younger than Jason, give or take a few.
Yeah. We really have to just set history aside now days when it comes to aging Whit and his family. Jerry dying in Vietnam and Whit fighting in WWII worked in the late 80s, when Whit would have been mid 60s and Jason would have been about 35. But now, twenty years later, with characters aging much less than real time, it doesn't work, and we can't make it work. I'd say Jason is still late 30s.

I was glad to here the return of Mitch. I've been waiting for him to come back since I was about... 11. At 19 now, I'd say I've been waiting for too long for his 'two year' Budapest term to end. I fully expected him to return exactly two years later, so like, Album 45? Never happened. After relaunch, I gave up hope. This should be interesting. I'm surprised how many people are disappointed by this, after I've spent the last however many years reading, "Bring Back Mitch!!!!!!" on every single podcast comment page.

I'm glad he's engaged to someone else though. If Connie is going to get married, it shouldn't be to Mitch. It'll be good to hear from him and get closure, but I don't think he should stick around and marry Connie or anything.

Overall, the rest of the episode was pretty good. I'm still learning to like Penny. She's not bad, she just doesn't seem good enough for them to keep around. Oh well. She doesn't bug me anymore at least. Matthew and Emily and Wooton were well used too. I still insist on going against popular opinion by liking Matthew and Emily's friendship. I actually like Emily's character just so long as she is with Matthew.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Astronomer wrote:Jerry died in the Vietnam war, right? That means he left 1975 at the latest. Jason was probably about 13 when Jerry left, which means he would be approximately 50 now (13+25 to get to 2000 then twelve years since then equals 50). Connie is probably about 20-25. That means she is about 25 years younger than Jason, give or take a few.
wasn´t Connie 15 for around 10 years or so? LOL.

It also doesn´t work so well now that Andr'e sounds like a younger whit....maybe 50´s or so to me, which would make Jason younger. You just have to think "soap opera time". Penny reminds me of Luna in the Harry Potter series or some other character on a show with Buffy in the title which or course you should never, never watch. I do not think anyone expected Odyssey to last this long, so you just sort of have to ignore the time line and go with the current actors.

I thought there was a whole group of Mitch-haters on this list. :-)
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I like that Mitch is back, but I don't like that he's engaged to someone else. I don't think he should necessarily marry Connie. I wouldn't have minded if they brought him back and he and Connie were friends but nothing more. But I don't like the potential it has to destroy Connie (though, I guess that has a lot more to do with how the rest of the story is handled than anything else).

This is only the second or third time I've heard Matthew and Emily (I skipped a few episodes in the middle... but I'll get to them eventually) but every time they talk, I find myself tuning out and have to go back and re-listen to the scene. They're just not engaging--which is kind of how I feel about most of the new characters: just not engaging.

But, on the positive side, I LOVED the Wooton/Connie fake wedding plot line. I was entertained and even laughed a couple of times (which, I find, is pretty rare these days). I think, on the whole, my opinion of this episode will entirely depend on the second part.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

I forget the post, but I have calculated that in Odyssey time passes at half time. That would make Jason 31.5 years old (13+12.5+6).

Or one can always go with the Ceiling fan theory of aging in Odyssey.
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

Haha for some reason certain parts of this episode remind me of my past few months on the ToO. \:D/

I loved the episode, so great. \:D/
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

jennifertwt wrote: It (Album 55) is not available for purchase until June in Europe. :-(
Same here in the U.S.

I can't believe they brought Mitch back!!
I'm undecided but not real sure if I'm happy, mad, or neutral.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I thought it already was available, the lame way they're doing it these days...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I was going to listen to this again after listening to Something Blue 1 and 2. Does anyone know why it has been removed from the Focus media player?
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

jennifertwt wrote:I was going to listen to this again after listening to Something Blue 1 and 2. Does anyone know why it has been removed from the Focus media player?
not sure, it's still working on the wiki's audio player http://www.aiowiki.com/wiki/Adventures_ ... dio_Player
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Reddo wrote:
jennifertwt wrote:I was going to listen to this again after listening to Something Blue 1 and 2. Does anyone know why it has been removed from the Focus media player?
not sure, it's still working on the wiki's audio player http://www.aiowiki.com/wiki/Adventures_ ... dio_Player
Nope, not there either. For some reason they took it down. Maybe they will put it back up when Part 2 airs this weekend.

BTW-hubby and I have been watching Land of the Lost, a children´s series from the 70´s. Season 1, episode 4, entitled "Downstream" stars Walker Edminston as a displaced civil war soldier. Hubby was amazed that I recognized his voice as the Bart Rathbone voice of Odyssey. I said I listen to at least one Odyssey a day, for some reason he thought that was "weird". :-k
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

jennifertwt wrote:
Reddo wrote:
Nope, not there either. For some reason they took it down. Maybe they will put it back up when Part 2 airs this weekend.

BTW-hubby and I have been watching Land of the Lost, a children´s series from the 70´s. Season 1, episode 4, entitled "Downstream" stars Walker Edminston as a displaced civil war soldier. Hubby was amazed that I recognized his voice as the Bart Rathbone voice of Odyssey. I said I listen to at least one Odyssey a day, for some reason he thought that was "weird". :-k
no, it's still working, it must be a problem with your computer, you could try going to the direct link, http://fotf.cdnetworks.net/fotf/mp3/aio ... 120512.mp3
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

I just downloaded Something Old, Something New Part 2. So far it sounds really good. \:D/
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~