715: The Perfect Church, Part 1

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What's your rating for this show?

5 stars
50%
4 stars
21%
3 stars
29%
2 stars
No votes
1 star
No votes

Total votes: 14

Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
715: The Perfect Church, Part 1

Post by Peachey Keen »

New season, new episode, new thread.

Discuss! :D

Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

I thought it was average. I'm glad to have the IS back. And the story has me listening. It left off with a cliffhanger, and I can't wait till next week. Overall, average, but I liked it, and that's what counts.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

We finally made it to the new season! Or should I say, the new season finally made its way to us? Either way, I'm very glad that it's finally here. It seems like it's been a really long time since Album 55 started airing. Yet, at the same time, it feels like it was just last week. I don't know. I guess that's usually the way things are. Anyway, I think I may be looking forward to this album more than any album since the relaunch. Now, it's easy to say that, since it's the one I'm currently excited about, but I really do think this album seems to have more potential than any that's come so far since Album 51 began. I can't wait to see the different directions all of the episodes will take and how they will utilize Whit's many inventions.

But, no matter what the rest of the season holds, if it's anything like this first episode, I will be greatly pleased. I loved this episode. But I loved it in a different way than I've loved episodes that have come before. In previous seasons, I've appreciated episodes because of how they furthered character development, or how they had entertaining story lines; but this episode was incredible, because it took its general story from the Bible! And, like all the Imagination Station adventures we've come to know and love from Odyssey's past, it made the stories that we read in the pages of Scripture, which may at times seem dry and static, come to life! It was amazing to see/hear so many different accounts that I've read and heard over the years come together into a unified whole to tell the story of the early church. It makes me wish that this episode wasn't only two parts, but that it filled the whole album and covered the entire Book of Acts!

See, I'm sort of a Bible geek. Before moving to the church that my family are currently members of, I was known as the "smart kid" because I knew so many facts about the Bible and the accounts it contains. I did Bible quizzing for a number of years, and for a couple of those years, the book we studied fairly extensively was Acts. So I know a lot about the characters and events of the early church. Therefore, this episode was all the more meaningful to me. It was great to see how different parts of the story found their ground in major parts of the book, as well as to pick up on how minor plots tied in with more generic parts. For example, I thought it was very clever to have the main characters, Seth's family, be the ones who bought the land of Ananias and Sapphira and gave them the money, which, as most of you will know, they dealt with dishonestly, and they later paid the price for it. This aspect of the storytelling also makes it nice, in that we don't have to wonder so much about what's going to happen in the next episode. However, at the same time, the writers took enough liberty in creating the different story elements that we have a good amount to speculate and wonder about--such as what's going to happen to the church now that Saul is in the picture.

I'm also wondering how far ahead the next episode is going to go, because in Acts 12, when Peter has escaped from prison and he comes to the door of the house where members of the church are praying for him, he encounters "a servant girl named Rhoda." That was immediately who I thought of when Rhoda appeared in this episode. I doubt it's a coincidence that she has the same name as another character of her age in the Book of Acts, so I think either the story will jump ahead a little bit and give that account, or it will at least be hinted at, so that we know that Rhoda actually fits in in Scripture somewhere.

Well, all that said about the story, I'll go on to the characters and the acting. I thought the acting was very top-notch. Usually, with Odyssey, we're used to hearing the same actors voice the same characters week in and week out. But the great thing about Imagination Station adventures is that we get to hear a variety of more general actors who we don't hear nearly as often, and they always do an excellent job voicing their individual characters, even though they don't get much air time. I was particularly interested with the lame man who was healed by Peter and John, because I thought he sounded very much like a mix between Tigger from Winnie the Pooh and King Lawrence from Darien's Rise--meaning then that he could only have been voiced by one person: Jim Cummings! It was cool to have him back, albeit for a short amount of time. But that's what I'm talking about. These actors are talented enough that they bring a superb performance and life to their characters in only the short amount of time they are given.

It was interesting to hear from the actor who played Sue in "The Labyrinth" again. I thought she did a very nice job. Obviously, I could tell it was her, but she pulled off the American accent very well (unlike when she tried to impersonate an American in the previously-mentioned episode :P). I thought she had a very sweet-sounding voice, and the chemistry between her and Matthew was pretty good. Though, at times, she reminded me of Emily, so at those points I wasn't appreciating her voice so much. ;)

I'll touch on this a bit more later, but I thought Eugene was a very good narrator. I didn't find myself missing the old, computerized "Mabel" voice at all. Will Ryan did a great job, and I would hope to hear more from Eugene in this role in the future. Then there's Whit. You all, I'm sure, know how I feel about Andre Stojka doing the voice of this timeless, beloved character. But actually he wasn't all that bad in this episode. Granted, he only had a few lines at the beginning (which I thought was for the better), but he actually did pretty well with what he had. I didn't feel so much like I was hearing Andre, but more like I was hearing Mr. Whittaker. I surprised myself. We'll see how he does in the coming episodes later on this season.

Moving on to the workings of the new Imagination Station: I was impressed. Although there was a somewhat radical change in the way things operated, I really liked it. The changes felt more like an update to the machine, rather than a fundamental adjustment. As I said before, I really liked Eugene as narrator at the outset, and then as a general commentator throughout. I laughed the first time he cut in, with the definition for "Gentile," and throughout the episode it was a believable way for Matthew to receive necessary information on the culture and the era, rather than being completely confused like some characters have ended up in the past. In addition to Eugene's overall narration, I specifically appreciated his reading of Scripture at the beginning. I thought that was very powerful, and I would definitely like to hear more of that in the future. Oh, and then one more thing. I also liked how the Imagination Station transferred Matthew from one setting to the next. It reminded me of Kelly's adventure in "The Imagination Station, Revisited" with the doors; but this was even better. I chuckled every time Matthew was hurled about through time and dropped into each particular environment. Hopefully all of these modifications to the Imagination Station will stick around through the rest of the season.

Well, I guess I should bring this review to a close, as it's become quite lengthy. We hadn't heard an episode totally devoted to an Imagination Station adventure since the close of Album 50, and the only other episode it's been a part of since the relaunch was "Fast As I Can," where many fans complained that it just wasn't the same, that it was operating differently that it always has over the years. It has also been referenced briefly in a few episodes over the more recent seasons, one of the more notable ones being "Child's Play," but this is the first time we've really seen it since Odyssey was "redesigned." And it was a very refreshing reminder of the past. However, at the same time, it wasn't stuck in the past. It was definitely an improvement on adventures that were previously experienced within the doors of the machine. The writing and dialogue were excellent, and the correlation between the plot and the accounts in the Bible, as I mentioned, were wonderful as well. I was also very impressed with the variety of great themes touched on in the episode. Among the things briefly mentioned were the inexplicable blindness of the hearts of the Jewish leaders, the inevitability of persecution of Christians, the inclusion of the Gentiles, speaking in tongues, Jesus taking God's wrath on the cross, and the conundrum about Jewish traditions and the Law of Moses. All of those things are very important, so it was great to see the Odyssey writers incorporate those themes into the story.

That's just about all I have to say about the episode. Hopefully that wasn't too long. I hope you enjoyed it! I look forward to hearing and reviewing next week's episode. I think we can expect some good action--probably along the lines of the trailer for The Lyin' Thing in "I Want My BTV." There may also be some sober plot elements as well, as the death of Stephen and the great persecution of the church come in Chapters 7 and 8 of Acts.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I really liked this episode! You guys probably don't know this, but Acts is my favorite book of the Bible. I've already listened to both parts, but this was definitely a great way to start out the season! I only wish it had gone on to Acts 9, my favorite chapter! I would say this is my favorite episode of the season.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Finally I can listen to the first episode! Well, it seems that Matthew is growing up. His questioning of the church and such seems a tad more mature than I've expected of him before, so it seems he will be the next one to outgrow Connie. I'm liking the new IS a lot more here than in Revisited. The "doors" idea seems to be working more smoothly. I miss MABLE, though Eugene being the voice for the IS makes sense, and made me want to download a Eugene Meltsner voice for my computer. Jim Cummings. So much yes. I looooove hearing him on AIO! Tigger, Pooh, Scar and Rasputin's singing voices, he's all over the place, and Lawrence's drunk scene in Darien's Rise, Part 3 is my favourite drunk scene in all of Odyssey. It's awesome to know that he may be on the show beyond just Darien's Rise. I'm curious to how the church, and how Matthew, more specifically will take what happens to Ananias and Sapphira. Also, I think that fact that Saul is now the picture should be very interesting, especially for Matthew, who knows who he is, or should. And the fact that he just got pushed down a well by the Apostle Paul is funny. I just hope there's a door at the bottom of the well. Then he can fall out the front door straight into Saul with his momentum. Like a portal gun. :)
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Great start to the new season! I really liked this episode :) I love how we have another biblical adventure in the Imagination Station, I've missed those. I'm excited to see how this will turn out. The doors idea seems to be working well, I love how Matthew would keep disappearing and reappearing through them.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

31899 wrote:THEY DIDN'T USE THE MABEL VOICE!!!!!!!! RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

To be honest, I really like certain aspects of this episode, but at other times I really zoned out. This episode reminded me of a lot of other IS adventures in a repetitive way... with a few of the characters changed. I missed some of the stuff you guys mentioned in your reviews.

On the plus side, I liked how people in the IS acted. The lady's shock at the thought of other churches was eye-opening. Really, Paul was the main communication between the churches... it wasn't like you could just visit Phillipi Baptist for the week and then Corinth Free Methodist the next. Good thought.

Random rating time...

3.3 / 5
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

After Christian A.´s review, there really was not much more to be said. I gave it a 4 out of 5 because I reserve 5 stars for the really great holiday epsidoes like Thanksigivng at Home, A Thanksgiving Carol, etc, but after I hear part 2, it might go up. I do a Passover to Pentecost playlist for Lent/Easter and this could fit in there nicely. I got over André being the new Whit pretty quickly. I think hearing him in Darien´s Rise helped alot as an "intro". I do think a themed Album on the book of Acts would have been a great idea. Maybe better than I Corinthians 13 since I really did not like that album all that much. I received my hard copy yesterday but I like hearing the old fashioned way first. I wish Focus would go back to airing the episodes first on the radio/internet and THEN releasing the download/hard copies. I look forward to hearing the rest of the episodes on this album. My only complaint so far is the lack of a Thanksgiving and Christmas episode. :-)
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Actually one thing that kind of bothered me in this episode was Matthews using ticked off. I don't know, I just didn't like that
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Jesus' Princess wrote:Actually one thing that kind of bothered me in this episode was Matthews using ticked off. I don't know, I just didn't like that
I did not notice, but I have only heard it once, while I was cooking Saturday breakfast. So, I probably just did not catch it. I guess they are trying to make the kids sound more "real" and not like they walked out of The Andy Griffith Show. I have been watching "Chuck" on swedish tv with the actor who played Ed Washington. He was the only reason I was watching until I heard that character say some things that "Ed" would not have said. I know they are only actors playing a part, but I did not like it. Makes me glad I am not an actor, they must have to make some touch choices sometimes.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Jesus' Princess wrote:Actually one thing that kind of bothered me in this episode was Matthews using ticked off. I don't know, I just didn't like that
I have yet to meet a person who is offended by that phrase. ;) What about it didn't you like?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

I wondered if that would offend anyone when I heard him use that phrase. Obviously it does sound very similar to the more vulgar phrase meaning the same thing. I personally don't use it very often at all, but I do know families who do not allow their kids to use it, and I understand.
Cbriggs45
Pilgrim

Post by Cbriggs45 »

i loved this look at the old church well book of acts church. i liken it to a colts legs when it is born and has to learn to run right out the womb. or it gets eaten.

the book of acts church pre paul is like a colt or a young man (e.g matthew) looking for its sea legs (to borrow the phrase) in the church. the Hellenist. the gentiles. jews with jesus' teachings parts one and two were sky rocketed in to my top ten favorite ep's ever. (remember this is my review i do not really care if you think im wrong reviews are subjective for a reason :) ) ive sat where matthew sat when he was talking to mr whittaker. i never actually asked an adult that though., i handled it quite differnetly and my world was never the same. i just wish i would have. but back on point.

i loved this album (i have the hard copy and listen to it when i drive. otherwise i wouldnt get anything done. ive listened to it almost three times and i look forward to this episode the most.)

i gave it five because this should be a reminder as to how far christians have come. again my opinion. i hope i expressed my view of this episode in a clear way.. if not.. ill try better to explain if i confused anything.
you can learn a lot from job 38-42, being humble isn't the easiest but its worth it.
Vic
29K to go!

Post by Vic »

I can understand what you mean but I also understand the frustration that Matthew's feeling about disagreements in the church. (I've gone through that before) I've probably used stronger words before when expressing my anger about problems in churches. *shrugs* Anyway if you think about it, a lot of the words we use today are just tamer swear words. Gosh, heck, darn, dang, oh my word, pain in the neck, idiot, ect. Language is a funny thing. Where does one draw the line?
This is my humble blog: http://aiothoughts.blogspot.com/
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

We listened to Thanksgiving at Home this past weekend for swedish thanksgiving and I sort of cringed when Donna said their parents would be "ticked" at something they had done. I know it is not as bad as probably what kids these days usually say, but it does not seem to be a good example of either christian behaviour or proper use of langauge.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Interesting, I've never thought anything about that before. Saying one is 'ticked off' seems like normal colloquial language to me.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
whittaker96
Gold Member

Post by whittaker96 »

Different people have different phrases that affect them (i.e. Japanese people get offended when you wear slippers on a tatami mat).

But anyways, here's my review!

http://odysseyoutofcontrol.blogspot.com ... and-2.html