735: Life Expectancy, Part 2

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How do you rate this episode?

5 boxes of tissues
67%
4 boxes of tissues
33%
3 boxes of tissues
No votes
2 boxes of tissues
No votes
1 box of tissues
No votes

Total votes: 12

Bren
Be positive!

735: Life Expectancy, Part 2

Post by Bren »

Bill can be so entertaining at times, but yet in the end you despise how he acts.
"The hotel. Apparently I'm being callus and insensitive by wanting to stay at my former wife's house. Though I'm sure I paid for most of the furniture. I think June would've been ok with it"
"Invade, is that what we're doing? Terrific."
ImageImageImage
logos linked
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

This was pretty good. I thought the quick way Bill explained who Jules was felt a bit forced, but I guess it is from a story standpoint. I also thought she would be younger based on part 1. I am assuming "Jan" was short for January?? I had a friend in high school who said she wanted to name her daughter January Jade, she never did, her daughter´s name is Karinne. Connie took the news better than expected. I also wondered about the appropriateness of going to an ex-spouses funeral, but I suppose without that there would not have been much of a part 2. It will be interesting to see where this goes.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
RileyTomTimothy
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by RileyTomTimothy »

Well that took me by surprise. In fact there are so many things that took me by surprise so far in these first two episodes just as The Legend of Korra is doing on the T.V. side. I could relate so much to Connie in this second part trying to understand it all, but having no way to explain it. I feel that Connie's dad realizes he's missing something and the Jules thing really shook things up. I hope that Connie can really have some meaningful future episodes with Jules. Then there's Jeff and in no way did I expect him to return especially after only appearing in one episode wayyyyyy back in Album 10; I think. This next episode is really going to be interesting and I expect Jeff to come out with the possibly predictable news that he's become a Christian. It just seems real obvious.

Can't wait to see what happens!
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

One thing that disappointed me was the small amount of Shona in the show. Though, she mentioned in the webcast this last week that she was moving about 25 minutes away from Burbank so maybe we will get more of Jules in the future.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
RileyTomTimothy
Hexadecimal teenager

Bren wrote:One thing that disappointed me was the small amount of Shona in the show. Though, she mentioned in the webcast this last week that she was moving about 25 minutes away from Burbank so maybe we will get more of Jules in the future.

I have no idea why I didn't catch that Shona was Jules.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

RileyTomTimothy wrote:
Bren wrote:One thing that disappointed me was the small amount of Shona in the show. Though, she mentioned in the webcast this last week that she was moving about 25 minutes away from Burbank so maybe we will get more of Jules in the future.

I didnt' realize that till my sister told me after we listened to the episode.

I really liked this one; I liked Connie's conversation with her dad and then later with Jules. Definitely shaping up to one of the better episodes I've heard lately :)

and Jeff Lewis being mentioned was totally out of the blue. I'm curious as to what his role will be

Till the end of the line.
RileyTomTimothy
Hexadecimal teenager

Shennifer wrote:
RileyTomTimothy wrote:

I didnt' realize that till my sister told me after we listened to the episode.

I really liked this one; I liked Connie's conversation with her dad and then later with Jules. Definitely shaping up to one of the better episodes I've heard lately :)

and Jeff Lewis being mentioned was totally out of the blue. I'm curious as to what his role will be

I agree. I was listening to some archives on the internet today before listening to this and you could tell by the theme song that they were ready to tell a story and teach a lesson. Not saying they don't do that today, but it doesn't seem as deep in the current episodes than it used to. The beginning of this Album with Samuel and now the finale episodes are just so good! I felt it was so nostalgic and everyone in their usual character.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

The fact that Jules is short for July made me laugh. :P

I enjoyed the episode. It wasn't my favorite episode ever, but I enjoyed it :yes: I liked Bill, (well, not his personality, but his character) I'm looking forward to hearing how things wrap up next week.
RileyTomTimothy
Hexadecimal teenager

Jesus' Princess wrote:The fact that Jules is short for July made me laugh. :P

I enjoyed the episode. It wasn't my favorite episode ever, but I enjoyed it :yes: I liked Bill, (well, not his personality, but his character) I'm looking forward to hearing how things wrap up next week.

I loved the episode, as I mentioned before because it felt like an older episode. I remember so many of the references they made to previous appearances by Bill and when they talked about Connie's grandma when she passed away. The continuity was a breath of fresh air and I hope they can get it back on that track. The episodes these days feel too quick and unoriginal. Not that they're bad, but there's something missing. It's as if they should rediscover their roots; maybe bring back the original theme song because that theme song always made me feel something big was about to occur.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I listened to Life Expectancy Parts 1 & 2 today. It is good to see a weighty issue (death) addressed and to see that Odyssey time is moving along. Like we learned from the Leonard Meltsner saga, introducing a formerly unbeknownst relative really shakes things up.

I loved how Connie addresses Jules, who was similar to a younger version of Connie. Her food chain outlook was a great inclusion, because that is truly the outlook of many. I liked Jules' mention of "the social network thing." I didn't know Jules was played by Shona, the contest winner, until reading this thread; Shona did a great job. Preach it, Connie!

I can't wait to see how Jeff Lewis is doing. Back when I attempted to rate all AIO episodes, I gave First Love (#111 - Was it that long ago!?) a 4.5/5: "Very good treatment of dating a non-Christian, good confrontation of Connie by Cheryl." For the first time in a very long time, I am eagerly awaiting the next episode. :)
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Taq wrote:I liked Jules' mention of "the social network thing."
All the cool kids nowadays are doing the social network thing. :noway:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

I found it interesting that Bill showed for June's funeral as well. But then I admired Bill for it. He was there out of his love for Connie. While June's death was rough for Bill, I think it was only because the death of anyone is rough for Bill. Bill behaved differently for his mother's death than he did for June's, and that largely has to do witht he role that each played in his life at the time of their deaths.

Overall, this part was good too.