565: "A Most Surprising Answer"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of "A Most Surprising Answer"?

5 Stars - Too good to be true!
33%
4 Stars - The show felt just right
40%
3 Stars - Typical AIO
17%
2 Stars - Is everyone else crazy?
3%
1 Star - AIO has never sunk so low
7%

Total votes: 58

Bandit Squirrel
OK

Post by Bandit Squirrel »

The ep. lost alot of the feeling it could have had if Katrina's voice had been normal. Otherwise, I really liked it.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I enjoyed the episode a lot. I agree with everyone about Katrina's voice, although I do applaud the actress for trying to fill the shoes. While she isn't as close a fit as paul herlinger to hal smith I can probably grow to live with it....after a few years. ;) THe episode overall seemed very surreal, like it wasn't truly happening. I mean Eugene is gone for so long and then suddenly everything is happening at once. I guess I haven't really digested it all yet. I may need a bit more time for that one.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I enjoyed this episode a lot, but part of that was just because it feels so good to have Eugene back! I really wish that Katrina's voice had been done by the same person as before (Pamela Hayden), though. It just didn't sound right. It was also kind of weird having a "reunion" between Connie and Katrina when it wasn't the same voice actor. That happened with Whit, too, but at least Paul Herlinger's voice was closer and allowed you to kind of forget that it wasn't Hal Smith.

The "howdy" line was great! I loved it!

This episode ruined all my theories, however. On Thursday afternoon I was pondering what was going on, and decided that Eugene was dying. After all, Whit said that they would do all that they could "for as long as they could." That implies a time limit on how long it would be possible to help Eugene. It would also explain Connie's crying at the teaser part at the end of the first episode. Then I thought that the NIH was involved because death, or serious illness, was a long-term affect of the Novabox, and lots of people could die or be really sick if a cure wasn't found, and Eugene was exhibiting symptoms early because of his early exposure during his research. All my theories went out the window when they said that Eugene has amnesia.

I miss the "old" Eugene! I know that Will Ryan wasn't supposed to be the old Eugene in this episode, but I look forward to the day where Eugene will just be hanging out with everybody at Whit's End or whatever, without anything major in the way.

I'm looking forward to next week, and the extraordinary conclusion!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote:I miss the "old" Eugene! I know that Will Ryan wasn't supposed to be the old Eugene in this episode, but I look forward to the day where Eugene will just be hanging out with everybody at Whit's End or whatever, without anything major in the way.
I'm quite sure that that will happen soon enough. What I was impressed with was how Will still acts Eugene out perfectly. Despite the crisis and memory loss, it still sounded like Eugene.

-Jonathan
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Indeed. The ep felt just like a classic.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i meant yuck i didn't like the ep

Edited-Do not advertise threads in your posts that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic on hand.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Me wrote:Indeed. The ep felt just like a classic.
This is going offtopic, but Me, I like your signature. The green suits Eugene very well!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Jonathan wrote:I'm quite sure that that will happen soon enough. What I was impressed with was how Will still acts Eugene out perfectly. Despite the crisis and memory loss, it still sounded like Eugene.

-Jonathan
I agree. :) It puts a smile on my face to imagine Will Ryan doing Eugene again.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

As soon as I realized they weren't cuting and pasting phrases from previous episodes, I was quite relieved. Then I rejoiced at the fact Will Ryan had, indeed, returned. \:D/

I was pondering the memory stimulating program Whit created: If he plugged in Connie, himself, Bernard, and Tom into the machine, the program would receive all of their memory of various incidents in Odyssey. Now that would be extremely interesting in the cases in which all three of them were involved in a particular event. Eugene would receive not only the memories, but also different sides of the memories. From "Flash Flood", Eugene would remember that Tom got swept up by the current (coming from Tom and Whit's memories), but he would also remember when exactly Tom left to go fishing in the first place (this coming from Tom's memory). Hm. :-s Intriguing.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I gave it a 5, mainly because Eugene returned! And it was a good ep.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Screech wrote:I gave it a 5, mainly because Eugene returned!
Ha, good reasoning. :D In my opinion, the fact that Will Ryan/Eugene has returned is enough to merit 4 stars.
Eugene Blackgaard wrote:I will sometime soon state my displeasure with the episode.
Hopefully you'll share with us your thoughts before the next episode airs . . . ;)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I noticed a lot of people have commented on Katrina's voice, but I think it may be something we are all going to have to get used to. I don't know how long this actress will continue the role or if the origonal one will return, but I get the feeling this is something that may occur again in the future. I know this has been mentioned in other places...don't remember where just that I heard it...but several other oices may be changed within a couple of years...hopefully not too soon. I mean the actors who play, tom, jack, and bernard, and whit too I think, are all in their 70's or 80's. What will Focus do if/when it comes time to replace them? Are they working on it?
Anywho, sorry for that rabbit trail, I guess we will have to get used to her new voice and applaude the actress for her efforts. It's actually starting to grow on me.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

To answer your question:

Paul Herlinger (Whit)-75
Alan Young (Jack)-85
Dave Madden (Bernard)-73
Ed Walker (Tom)-83

What I would consider the only option (as the characters are getting up in years as well) is when the actor leaves us, we will say goodbye to the character as well. Besides, knowing them as we do, it wouldn't be right to bring in another actor.

-Jonathan
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:I was pondering the memory stimulating program Whit created: If he plugged in Connie, himself, Bernard, and Tom into the machine, the program would receive all of their memory of various incidents in Odyssey. Now that would be extremely interesting in the cases in which all three of them were involved in a particular event. Eugene would receive not only the memories, but also different sides of the memories. From "Flash Flood", Eugene would remember that Tom got swept up by the current (coming from Tom and Whit's memories), but he would also remember when exactly Tom left to go fishing in the first place (this coming from Tom's memory). Hm. :-s Intriguing.
That's an interesting thought. :-k
I was thinking that we might get one of those neat conglomeration scenes that includes a bunch of clips from past shows like they did in "Exit" and "The Time Has Come."
What if Connie and Eugene accidentally switch minds? :shock:
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Chandler wrote:That's an interesting thought. :-k
I was thinking that we might get one of those neat conglomeration scenes that includes a bunch of clips from past shows like they did in "Exit" and "The Time Has Come."
What if Connie and Eugene accidentally switch minds? :shock:
Now that would be an extraordinary conclusion. It would, indeed, go down in history. I can see the Odyssey headlines already:

FREAKY FRIDAY IN ODYSSEY
Connie and Eugene switch minds!!

Last evening, Whit attempted to restore Eugene's memory by converting Connie's brainwaves into radiowaves and sending them into the machine, which would promptly convert those radiowaves into brainwaves, which stimulate Eugene's brain to remember his memory. Unfortunately, an untimely accident took place when Whit wasn't looking. Connie and Eugene somehow managed to switch roles and they are currently at the hospital--with the other person's mind! Connie's mind is presently in Eugene's body, while Eugene's mind is currently in Connie's body. Neither parties are pressing charges.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

lol, can you imagine that? connie talking how eugene talks? that would be hilarious! :D
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Chandler wrote:I was thinking that we might get one of those neat conglomeration scenes that includes a bunch of clips from past shows like they did in "Exit" and "The Time Has Come."
I don't know how many of you have read Frank's review over at FBI, but that's what she's predicting.

-Jonathan
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:FREAKY FRIDAY IN ODYSSEY
Connie and Eugene switch minds!!

Last evening, Whit attempted to restore Eugene's memory by converting Connie's brainwaves into radiowaves and sending them into the machine, which would promptly convert those radiowaves into brainwaves, which stimulate Eugene's brain to remember his memory. Unfortunately, an untimely accident took place when Whit wasn't looking. Connie and Eugene somehow managed to switch roles and they are currently at the hospital--with the other person's mind! Connie's mind is presently in Eugene's body, while Eugene's mind is currently in Connie's body. Neither parties are pressing charges.
:lol: That is hilarious! :lol:
My mom is the one who suggested the idea first, actually, but you made it even better. ;)
Jonathan wrote:
Chandler wrote:I was thinking that we might get one of those neat conglomeration scenes that includes a bunch of clips from past shows like they did in "Exit" and "The Time Has Come."
I don't know how many of you have read Frank's review over at FBI, but that's what she's predicting.

-Jonathan
#-o I need to visit the FBI again... it's been a few days since I've been there. :-$
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

wow that would be an awesome episode idea....i think they should make one....
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

Post by Andrea Meltsner »

I am thinking of writing an episode...I just don't know If the idea is good because I don't know that much about AIO.
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!