623: Buddy Guard

Post your reviews here!

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think?

5 Stars
18%
4 Stars
57%
3 Stars
18%
2 Stars
7%
1 Star
No votes

Total votes: 28

Dr. Watson
Be positive!

623: Buddy Guard

Post by Dr. Watson »

Post your reviews here. \:D/
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

This was an above average episode. I did enjoy several things about it. First of all, it was great hearing Dern introduce the show! And overall, I liked the Dern and PJ subplot. It was fun hearing Dern rant on his “tirade Tuesday.” By the way, did anyone get the Ketchup reference? (Think of Ketchup and Mustard from “Top This”) The whole suing part of the story reminded me of “Victim of Circumstance,” but the episode managed to look at it from a different angle.

I didn’t enjoy the Grady subplot as much. While it was interesting hearing Grady become the bully, I thought the addition of the character of Phil was a little convenient. How old is Phil supposed to be anyways? He sounded older, but is apparently young enough to want to be hired by an eleven-year-old (or somewhere around that age) to beat up Rodney in exchange for that eleven-year-old doing his chores? While that part threw me off a bit, I did enjoy Whit’s talk to Grady at the end of the episode. Overall, this episode was good, but not great.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Woot! A slice of life ep--I've been itching for one of these.

I enjoyed it. Grady is beginning to remind me of Isaac in some ways (a walking lesson waiting to happen ;) ), and I greatly enjoyed the dialogue between the judge and Dern. It was fun to hear him on the defensive for a change, and stumbling all over himself in the process ^_^
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

Dern was awesome, as usual. And Grady is back to annoying me again. Over all, four stars. I wouldn't listen to it more than three times in a row, because Grady drove me nuts. >_< But, Dern pretty much getting everyone to sue someone was great! He was also great in the courtroom. And I loved the judge. Very sassy to Dern.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

Four stars. Dern was funny, Whit is finally back in the role of giving advice, but the whole Phil thing did seem a little convenient.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

4/5 stars. I thought it was a pretty good episode, the PJ and Dern scenes were hilarious. Grady's not really my favorite kid, but I didn't ming him in this episode. Has Phil been in AIO before? I don't remember him. Oh, and Rodney being back was cool, except it's really weird to have him picking on Grady like he picked on other kids about 10 years ago. Like I said, 4/5, I liked this episode.
...I hate marquees.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Phil hasn't been on before.

I forgot about Rodney--I thought this was the best he's been written in quite some time.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I was pleasantly surprised to hear from Cryin’ Bryan Dern again. Dern has been one of my favorite peripheral characters; he heckles like no other. As for PJ, it’s been awhile. I remembered him since the episode in which Jack is forced to fire PJ from J&J Antiques aired recently, but I wasn’t sure it was the same kid until he came up with a crazy phrase with the initials PJ. Now the kid has been fired from two jobs, ha.

The Dern/PJ/Whit storyline was wonderful. I could tell Dern and PJ would fall flat on their faces, and it was fun to hear that story unfold. Whit kept calm as Whit usually does; remember Whit in the elevator with Dern during the bomb alert?

The Grady/Rodney/Phil storyline was okay. It was odd that Phil, who seemed old, was hanging out in a setting with Grady and Rodney. With a car and pit bull, he sounded pretty self-sufficient unlike a lower school kid. Oh well.

While not groundbreaking, Buddy Guard is certainly above average and a fine stand-alone episode: 4 stars.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Don't forget that PJ also worked at the gas station too.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

JesusFreak777 wrote:Don't forget that PJ also worked at the gas station too.
I didn't recall that job...he didn't get fired from that position, did he? :-k
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

EP 595 And that's the Truth was the ep he was in at Pete's Gas and Chow. :)

I'm gonna assume he either quit or got fired if he has all this time to run around for Dern...
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I think this was a fine episode: 4 stars. I liked the Dern storyline better than the Grady/Phil storyline. Mainly because Phil was a totally new character that Grady treated as if he had known him for a long time.

Grady: "Hi Phil, be my bodyguard!"

Me: "Phil? Who's Phil?"

That said, I would like to hear more of Phil and his background.

Whit/Dern/Rodney/Judge were superb, and fine acting by all.
shasta
My posts are revolutionary

Post by shasta »

Was it Jymn Magon mentioned as Writer in the credits? "Buddy Guard" was his first episode then.

Nice resumé...
The Book of Pooh
DuckTales
Adventures of the Gummi Bears
TaleSpin
Goof Troop

Pretty much the whole Disney Afternoon line-up from the early '90s. :) (and the Pooh show is currently on Disney Channel)

peace,
-king shasta
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

Jonathan wrote:Woot! A slice of life ep--I've been itching for one of these.
Me too! Great episode! \:D/
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

I really enjoyed this episode.
Dern doing the bit in the beginning was great.
"Adventure and Discoveery whatever that is" lol thats great,
Great to hear from PJ again.
I didnt like the GrADY bit that much although Rodney and Phil were cool.
"Theos batteries didnt work".
Over all good episode 4/5
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Taq wrote:
JesusFreak777 wrote:Don't forget that PJ also worked at the gas station too.
I didn't recall that job...he didn't get fired from that position, did he? :-k
Quite sure he did. ;)

It was very good. The whole bullying issue was nicely handled. Yet, it seems like the parents of Odyssey have no power. Can't they do something about Rodney, I mean, it's been quite some years of his abuse. ;)
oy_mate
Tallying up

Post by oy_mate »

Dr. Watson wrote:I think this was a fine episode: 4 stars. I liked the Dern storyline better than the Grady/Phil storyline. Mainly because Phil was a totally new character that Grady treated as if he had known him for a long time.

Grady: "Hi Phil, be my bodyguard!"

Me: "Phil? Who's Phil?"

That said, I would like to hear more of Phil and his background.
haha, that threw me off, too!! I thought that Phil was some newish person I'd managed to miss hearing about.
Same with PJ- I didn't realize who he was until he did the catchy phrase with his name. I like PJ, aside from the fact he's irresponsible and such. Maybe it's just his enthusiasm and the phrases with his name!

At that one point where Dern is talking to PJ- is the commercial in the background the same one for Pete's Gas and Chow that they had wayy back, about the jumbo spaghetti fork?