573: "Back to Abnormal"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What is your rating of "Back to Abnormal?"

5 Stars
20%
4 Stars
43%
3 Stars
30%
2 Stars
7%
1 Star
No votes

Total votes: 46

Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

One last note on the origami thing. Origami is sorta like a caricature where a few features will be exaggerated. Example: long neck, clearly Calvin Coolidge.

~OrigamiKid
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

Jonathan, I'm Boa over at the TH.
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

I felt Eugene and Katrina were kinda out of character. But having Wooten and Eugene in the same ep, the"self tucker" thing, and the Calven Cool joke were pure genious! I give it a 4.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

Concerning the age issue: Odyssey could use a few more teens. Who do we girls have, anyway? Are we stuck with Aubryey and Connie? Connie doesn't really strike me as a teenager.

Concerning Katrina's short fuse: I must admit, my interest was piqued by her irritibility. Could a little Meltsner be on the way, perhaps? Probably not; they haven't been married THAT long. But, I suppose 'anything could happen'!

I for one would really like to see one of the Odyssey families get a new addition. Unless I'm mistaken (which is entirely possible), we haven't had someone have a baby since Unto Us A Child Is Born. And you have to admit, that's probably one of the funniest, most heart-felt episodes out there. :-)
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Rachael wrote:Concerning the age issue: Odyssey could use a few more teens. Who do we girls have, anyway? Are we stuck with Aubryey and Connie? Connie doesn't really strike me as a teenager.
What on earth "You girls haven't had anybody"? For the entire series, Connie has been mostly 16 and focused on her, and now you have Aubrey, and, heck, Liz and Mandy are teens too.

Funny how when guys are teenagers, they're too old to get much attention--however Connie has been getting so much attention the entire series.

I miss Nick, Jared and Xavier. :(

Don't get me wrong however, I still wish the kids to remain the center of the show.

BC
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

That could be a HILARIOUS episode! Hearing Eugene panicking and running around in circles while having Katrina calm cool and collected. Reminds me of the Dick Van Dyke episode when Laura's about to have a baby.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Ah, now there's a good show.
Rachael wrote:Concerning Katrina's short fuse: I must admit, my interest was piqued by her irritibility. Could a little Meltsner be on the way, perhaps? Probably not; they haven't been married THAT long. But, I suppose 'anything could happen'!
Well, going by our time, they've been married appx 3 years (Plan B). And I doubt the writers would dump a little Meltsner (who'll probably be as smart as his/her parents) so soon after reintroducing them into the show.

-Jonathan
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Jonathan wrote:Ah, now there's a good show.
Rachael wrote:Concerning Katrina's short fuse: I must admit, my interest was piqued by her irritibility. Could a little Meltsner be on the way, perhaps? Probably not; they haven't been married THAT long. But, I suppose 'anything could happen'!
Well, going by our time, they've been married appx 3 years (Plan B). And I doubt the writers would dump a little Meltsner (who'll probably be as smart as his/her parents) so soon after reintroducing them into the show.

-Jonathan
I hope so...but, I don't think they will.
Tinuviel
Found
Location: Here or there- but isn't here just there without the t??

Post by Tinuviel »

I thought it was ok... Not as good as it couldn've been though. Eugene & Katrina did seem a little moody & irritable, I don't know though...
Only one life twill soon be past, only what's done for Christ twill last;
And when I am dying how happy I'll be, if the lamp of my life has been burnt out for Thee!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

WindowWasher wrote:Jonathan, I'm Boa over at the TH.
\:D/ Welcome, Boa/Window Washer! :truce:
Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle

Post by Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle »

It was quite good. I liked the whole idea. 5 stars***** =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Hmm...I liked everything.
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

Wow, good analyses. I think Eugene and Katrina's vague plans are exciting and have a lot of potential. It's never something I imagined Eugene would end up doing--which is a good thing. It's an opportunity to grow, in contrast to his tinkering with the appliances, which was a regression to how his character behaved in "Connie". I wonder if this parallel was deliberate, signalling a new beginning for Eugene.

Eugene and Wooton's interaction was glee-inducing. I mean, their quirkiness overlapping in some areas in a way that excludes all others. And it was done in such a casual way--not obvious or heavy-handed at all. Way cool.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Joni_Slade wrote:Eugene and Wooton's interaction was glee-inducing. I mean, their quirkiness overlapping in some areas in a way that excludes all others. And it was done in such a casual way--not obvious or heavy-handed at all. Way cool.
Well put. Hopefully that's how it'll stay; casualness and normal conversation has the potential to be overwhelmingly funny.

-Jonathan
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

Reviews from AIOHQ

Review by Bradford G, age 15
Rating: 3 stars
After last season with Eugene's return, I think some of us kinda of
expected for things to right back to normal with Eugene. But like the title things don't exactly get back to normal but abnormal. I mean like, Eugene was gone for a really long time, and life in Odyssey had to move on without him. We hoped he'd return, and know that he's back, I hope things go back to normal. Maybe not my favorite episode, but still a good one.

Review by Lydia Lee, age 17
I thought this was a great show with which to start out the season. Although Odyssey has done many shows about changes, every character and circumstance brings a unique flavor to the theme. It also helped to continue the Eugene/Katrina thread from last spring in a believable way.
I missed the very beginning, and a small part where Eugene and Whit were talking, but my favorite scene in the whole episode was with Eugene and Katrina and Eugene's "voice automated" appliances! It brought some great humor to the show which helped boost it's rating in my mind. Grady and Samantha were - well - a little disappointing, shall we say, at first. The scene in their apartment with the refrigerator leaking was anti-climactic at best, because I kept expecting it to be much bigger than it was - and it just - wasn't. However, I did think the scene at the end where Eugene comes in and fixes many of their apartment problems was very touching. I loved the way that where Eugene was needed most became so evident when he was helping Grady. I loved the ending . . . fade-outs of people arguing, laughing, etc. are always my favorites because it makes it feel like the story continues even when we're
done listening, as it does in real life. And where it once would have been Connie and Eugene arguing, now it's Eugene and Katrina in a small "marital spat" as Eugene moves on into a new phase of his life.
Overall, it was a favorable episode . . . and even within this episode itself, it reminds us that Adventures in Odyssey can't stay the same forever; it must change and move on with the rest of life. I'm excited to see what the next few episodes will bring forth!

Review by Robert, age 13
Rating: 3 1/2 stars
Pretty Cule, Eugene was funny trying to find somthing to do.

Review by EugeneFan23, age 11
I liked it pretty well. I liked the cell phone conversation with Katrina, and Eugene and Katrina's idea for the business. It was a good episode.

Review by Jason, age 23
Rating: 4 stars
This episode was very good. We finally see more about grady and the life he lives. I am absolutely thrilled that Eugene and Katrina are back. I am excited about whats in store for them. The only thing missing was Connie.

Review by Alex, age 11
Rating: 4 stars
it was a good episode. nice story. one thing i did not like was Katrina Shanks voice. still a good episode.

Review by GonkZ
I was a little disappointed by this episode. The contrast between Wooton made Eugene look a bit immature compared to him. I was slightly annoyed at first that Grady made another appearence. It seems like Odyssey has had lots of dispensible characters lately (especially after Novacom) and they only seemed to keep the ones I found more annoying. But in the end Eugene got to play a father role for Grady and that was touching. It kind of reminded me of Jason and Josh in "Best Laid Plans".

Review by Nathan Ehnis, age 17
Great for the laughs but not much else.

Review by Paul B
Eugene learns that now that hes back in town all the things he use to do and places he work didnt need him anymore and he must find somthing new to do.Eugene and katrina are gowing to start there own company of helping others in need.

Review by Elizabeth, age 14
I really liked this episode!! I am glad that they brought back Grady.

Review by SManBeyond, age 19
Rating: 2 stars
et me preview this episode with this quote from it:
"So much to my confusion, Katrina didn't seem to appreciate my upgrades..."

Much to MY confusion too. What was with Katrina this episode? Honestly, the appliances were NOT annoying.

First, the highlights: Whit and Eugene have their normal, 1996-type dialogue...Whit for 100% of the episode, while Eugene comes in at 90%. (The missing 10% is for the scenes discussed below...)

And now the rant...

First off, Eugene and Katrina as a married couple. While there were great possibilities for Eugene royally screwing things up (see "For Better or For Worse" for this concept done RIGHT), this episode failed miserably. The scenes with Katrina getting mad at Eugene over computerized appliances were not only out of character, but worse off, they weren't funny. The first scene was also nonsensical in the first scene...There's no way that Katrina could get that annoyed after hearing only four talking appliance calls.

Secondly, Eugene and Katrina as a married couple. In this episode, the two of them illustrate clearly that couples cease to be interesting once they are married. Specifically, I am referring to their decision for what they will do in Odyssey now that they are back. The very idea that the two of them would found a philanthropic corporation (which, from the sound of it, is specific to the small, rural town of Odyssey) is a lazy writer's idea as well as completely ridiculous. If this is the best that the writing staff of AIO could come up with for Eugene and Katrina to do in Odyssey, I shudder to think about what will happen should the two of them ever have a child.

Thirdly, the plot with Wooten, Grady and Samantha is uninteresting and COMPLETELY disposable. Plots with the kids will only appeal to the kids if they're actually interesting. In this case, the subplot should have been replaced with a plot about families in need that was more appealing. My personal suggestion would have been to make the children in the story slightly older so that their frustrations could have had more depth.

And on one final note (and I REALLY hope someone on the staff on AIO is reading this): WOOTON'S LAUGH-SNORT NEEDS TO GO. I cringe with disgust every time I hear it.

[Ed. Note: They are reading...and posting this... And the laugh-snort STAYS!]

Overall: This isn't an awful episode, but it's not a good one either...it's merely a bad one...further proof that AIO needs to end soon or be completely revamped.
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

I know this is late, but I just had to drop in and review this Ep.

Simply put, I was a little dissapointed in a few things. Whit seemed very cold talking to Eugene. I know Whit has lacked a personality for the past 6 or so years, and it's been a long time since we've heard the (once) jolly old man smile (yes, at one time I could actually hear Whit smile), but their really is no excuse for Whit's icy dioulogue. Completley void of emotion and personality. And downright mean sounding.

Eugene: And, and, I made a Revolutionary war thingie and--

Whit: Yeah, uh huh. We allready have that one.

Eugene: Oh... well... I spent HOURS making a lot of new adventures and--

Whit: Yeah, well, I programmed a new thingie that automaticly makes adventures while you were gone.

Eugene: Oh... guess I'm not really needed here, huh?

Whit: Yeah, pretty dang much. I mean, you were indispensible to us at one time, but not any more.

Eugene: Oh... guess I'll go find something else for my whole life to be about.

Whit: Yeah, you do that. Keep me posted.

-_-;

That is seriously what it sounded like to me! WHERE WAS THE EMOTION!!! WHERE WAS WHIT!?!?! I mean, I'm starting to think it would be better if the cut and pasted Whit's old lines into the new shows. It certainly would bring a lot back to the show. I mean, Whit practically breaks down crying when he has to fire Connie and Eugene back in the olde days. Now he's telling Eugene he's no longer needed and should find work elsewhere, and he's saying it with was much emotion and feeling as if he were telling a garbage man he no longer needed his services.

After all the years Eugene put into Whit's End, and after all the things he's done, and after all of the years of friendship between Whit and Eugene, he deserves a heck of a lot more respect than he's getting in this ep. Whit sounds more like me boss did when he told me they no longer needed my services. Cold. All business. What happened to Mr. Whittaker, best friend and father figure of Eugene!? I mean, JACK ALLEN could have given a better performance of that. And before anyone jumps on me for bashing the current Whit actor, I'm not, I'm sure he could do a good performance, but not untill the entire AIO program reconmsiders how they handle Whit will he be a good character. As of now, Whit is one of my least favorite characters. Good gravy, I would give so much just to hear Whit smile... just to hear that chuckle one more time... *sniff*

Furthermore, Katrina sounded ticked off at Eugene in nearly every scene. Does this sound like a functional family? What message is this sending the childrens? What ever happened to George and Mary Barclay? They were a real family, who could get upset but still be respectul of one another. Katrina seems to be treating Eugene as if he were a child, and there's nothbing I hate to see more than a wife doing that to her husband (and I've seen plenty of that). A good marraige calls for a healthy respect of one another, something I hope to see more in Eugene and Katrina's marraige.

Just my Two Cents.
ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

:shock:

That was great!!!

I have been thinking those very same thoughts but could never put them into writing. What you said was so true!!!

I can say confidently that the new Whit (Paul's Whit) has not been half as good as the old Whit (Hal's Whit). However, I sorta always assumed it was the actor's fault. I think I realize now that it has a lot more to do with the writing and directing. Whit just hasn't been Whit since ...It Ended with a Handshake, and it could very well be because the writing team has lost their "Whit focus" :(
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Eugene Blackgaard wrote:Simply put, I was a little dissapointed in a few things. Whit seemed very cold talking to Eugene. I know Whit has lacked a personality for the past 6 or so years, and it's been a long time since we've heard the (once) jolly old man smile (yes, at one time I could actually hear Whit smile), but their really is no excuse for Whit's icy dioulogue. Completley void of emotion and personality. And downright mean sounding.

Eugene: And, and, I made a Revolutionary war thingie and--

Whit: Yeah, uh huh. We allready have that one.

Eugene: Oh... well... I spent HOURS making a lot of new adventures and--

Whit: Yeah, well, I programmed a new thingie that automaticly makes adventures while you were gone.

Eugene: Oh... guess I'm not really needed here, huh?

Whit: Yeah, pretty dang much. I mean, you were indispensible to us at one time, but not any more.

Eugene: Oh... guess I'll go find something else for my whole life to be about.

Whit: Yeah, you do that. Keep me posted.

-_-;

That is seriously what it sounded like to me! WHERE WAS THE EMOTION!!! WHERE WAS WHIT!?!?! I mean, I'm starting to think it would be better if the cut and pasted Whit's old lines into the new shows. It certainly would bring a lot back to the show. I mean, Whit practically breaks down crying when he has to fire Connie and Eugene back in the olde days. Now he's telling Eugene he's no longer needed and should find work elsewhere, and he's saying it with was much emotion and feeling as if he were telling a garbage man he no longer needed his services.

After all the years Eugene put into Whit's End, and after all the things he's done, and after all of the years of friendship between Whit and Eugene, he deserves a heck of a lot more respect than he's getting in this ep. Whit sounds more like me boss did when he told me they no longer needed my services. Cold. All business. What happened to Mr. Whittaker, best friend and father figure of Eugene!?
When I first heard that, it only struck me as odd; and now you pointed out why. I think the scenes should've gone something like this:

[music]

Eugene: Ah ha! I've been attempting to locate you Mr. Whittaker."

Whit: Ah, good afternoon Eugene. Why were you 'attempting to locate' me?

Eugene: Oh. Well, this causes me minute embarrasement, though it shouldn't be as I'm inquiring this of you buy-

Whit: Eugene...go ahead and ask, I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Eugene: ...Ok. Well, I'm sure you are very much aware that I'm looking for a job, as I wasn't able to step back into my previous employment at the college and, well, I was wondering if I could serve here while I continue my search. Only temporarily, of course.

Whit: Of course you can come back to work here Eugene! We'd be glad to have you here again.

Eugene: Oh thank you Mr. Whittaker! I'll start immediately! Could I utilize the computer in your office?

Whit: Well, sure, but-

Eugene: Great! And thank you again!

[happy music to next scene]

[Whit enters office where Eugene is furiously typing away at the computer]

Whit: Eugene? I was wondering-

Eugene: Oh, Mr. Whittaker! Do you need your office? I've done most of what I needed to on your computer, but I'm confident I can move to the Bible Room and finish up there.

Whit: No, no, you can stay in here if you need to, I was just wondering what it is that you're working on.

Eugene: Hm? Oh, [chuckle] yes, of course. You see, while I was at the college earlier, I stopped by the library and did some research for the new Revolutionary War program I'm working on for the Imagination Station and...what? Is something amiss?

Whit [hesitant]: Well, Eugene, I don't want it to seem like your work wasn't needed, but...

Eugene: Yes?

Whit: Well, we already have a program for the Revolutionary War. And even if we didn't, we don't need to manually program the IS anymore.

Eugene: Really? Why not?

Whit: While you were gone, we modified the station to scan pages of books, and the machine will create a program based on that data.

Eugene [disappointed]: Oh. ... I see. Well, [stands up] maybe I can do some work on the ROC instead. [pauses] Unless...

Whit: [hesitant] ...Well-

Eugene [distraught]: Oh don't tell me you made advances there too?!

Whit: Actually, we did.

Eugene: [sighs] Well then, maybe I should take the rest of the day off and make some calls, try to arrange some interviews.

Whit: I'm sorry Eugene-

Eugene: No, that's ok Mr. Whittaker. I understand.

[not as happy music to talking appliances scene]

Now I'm not saying this was a bad episode. On the contrary, this slice of life episode was better then the slice of lifes we've had in the last several years (and I was quite impressed with Kathy B's writing here too; and my writing can't compare to hers; I just thought about this too much which is where that scene in my head came from). But I do see the point that Whit was out of character. For more proof, look at Where's Your Daddy? and It began with a Rabbit's Foot... and Mrs. Myers and Katrina. He bent over backwards to provide temp employment for them while they searched for a job. Money certainly wasn't an issue. So why wasn't he willing to do it here?

-Jonathan
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Good post :yes:

agreed
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again