573: "Back to Abnormal"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What is your rating of "Back to Abnormal?"

5 Stars
20%
4 Stars
43%
3 Stars
30%
2 Stars
7%
1 Star
No votes

Total votes: 46

AIOfan11
Younger than you

573: "Back to Abnormal"

Post by AIOfan11 »

What did you think? Post it here!

Please don't post your opinion till Saturday 12:00 AM!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Could an admin or mod from whit's end lock this until sat?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Your wish is my command, Jonathan dear! :inlove:
Alleycat
insert dash here

Post by Alleycat »

*gets sick*
And each light that we've extinguished has brought darkness to our Land...
Upon our Nation have mercy Lord!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Now that it's officially Saturday...I have to admit this was nice to see how Eugene was adjusting (or not adjusting) to life in Odyssey. One thing that popped out to me were the talking appliences. Talk about being bored. I was listening to Best Intentions and I noticed that Eugene did something similar to the door in whit's end. He turned it into an answering machine. I've got to say that he and Katrina did come up with a good idea to start an organization to help people around town.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I give this episode a rating of three stars. I thought it was somewhat interesting, and I liked how Eugene was able to help Grady to fix their stuff. The talking appliances were funny, it was so hilarious that they all sounded a lot like Eugene. O:)
...I hate marquees.
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

Wooton doesn't just talk about origami, he knows how to make stuff too! Way to go Wooton! \:D/
That just made my day. :D

~OrigamiKid
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I thought that the episode was pretty good. I love how Eugene made talking appliances. Don't you think that someone at CCCC would know who Eugene was and help him get a job? Also, how are Eugene and Katrina living with him not working?

4 Stars
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

AIOFan11 wrote: Also, how are Eugene and Katrina living with him not working?

4 Stars
I wondered that too. They will probably bring that up in a later episode.
5 stars. \:D/
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Eugenefan23 wrote:

4 Stars
I wondered if maybe Katrina was working...
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

AIOFan11 wrote:
Eugenefan23 wrote:

4 Stars
heh, i had the exact same thought too, i mean they can't charge people to do this stuff...so maybe they're going to be realllllly poor!
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

dancer02248 wrote:
AIOFan11 wrote:
Eugenefan23 wrote:

4 Stars
heh, i had the exact same thought too, i mean they can't charge people to do this stuff...so maybe they're going to be realllllly poor!
Charge people to do what stuff?
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

to help them or whatever cause it's voulenteer work!
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

dancer02248 wrote:to help them or whatever cause it's voulenteer work!
Oh, yeah.
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

another thought would be that they may have a lot of money saved. it's not an unbelievable thought.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I voted for 3 stars. While it was okay and I did enjoy parts of the episode, it didn't really "hit me" as outstanding.

Interesting twist - I was expecting Eugene to go back to CCCC to work. I am also wondering how they will make a living with a volunteer organization. It's not something I saw Eugene as doing, but it might turn out good, I don't know.

I still don't think as Audrey being the real Katrina, but it seems as if she will be for the forseeable future. We'll just have to get used to it I suppose.

I liked the talking appliances, and also the cell phone conversation with Katrina. Snookie wookie? :lol:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

Laura Ingalls wrote:

I liked the talking appliances, and also the cell phone conversation with Katrina. Snookie wookie? :lol:
I did too!
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Broadcast
Not as new

Post by Broadcast »

Episode Review: Episode 573: Back to Abnormal
Writer: Kathy Buchanan(#34)
Sound Designer: Glenn Montjoy
Average ratings/reviews of members: 3.82stars/5 = 76.4% (Last updated: October 4rtj, 5:56PM, with 39 votes)

Title: Back to...Normal

Characters: Characters:
Major: (greater than 30 eps)
Whit (#381)
Eugene (#166)

Minor: (less than 30 eps)
Katrina (#28)
Wooton (#18)
Grady (#3)
Samantha(#2)

This episode surprised me a little. The beginning dialogue between Whit and Eugene had classic feel. The episode (aside from the computered appliances) wasn't too far fetch or unrealistic. As someone already mentioned on the boards, Eugene (though, I'm going to have to double check if that was actually him) programmed the talking door at Whit's End, showing that he has had past experience in this activity.

So, I enjoyed the beginning...but the middle of the episode kinda had me...well...I thought; "not much plot here". I find this happens often; Odyssey might master dialogue, but they might fail in story. So, perhaps I felt the middle was a bit slow. Aside from that, I found this to be a bit similar to Whit's return. I always found that if one episode resembles another, then you might as well refer back to that other episode, so that we know that you knew it resembled. So, I'm glad the show eventually made that reference.

It was nice to see Eugene and Katrina in their new house. Very nice.

I worried about the outcome of the episode until the scene where Eugene and Grady were together in the apartment--and when Eugene and Whit talked at the end. I was also satisfied with the dialogue in both cases.
I'm not completely sure if I'm happy with his new organization. I suppose I can't say whether I like it or not until I hear where the writers will go with it. Hopefully it won't turn out like the Timothy Center, and kinda not really be "there". (if you know what I mean)

Grady and Samantha are pretty good kids, and good kid actors too.

I didn't get the Calvin Coolidge thing. Giraffe? Long neck? I'd enjoy it if someone explained that to me.

My overall feel for the show was that it was pleasant. The use of Eugene was good, and everyone worked into the episode nicely. No goofs. Nothing annoying. The progression of Eugene throughout the episode was noticeable and interesting. And it was just now that I noticed that Wooton and Eugene work well in an episode together. Mind you, they didn't have much dialogue together, but just being in the same room was nice to hear. For some reason, I noticed, they're a bit similar.

In the end, it was just a nice episode. I'm excited for next week's show where I'm hoping for action, adventure, plot, great acting, and great music (supposedly, Gap Digital).

Overall, an acceptable episode. An episode that doesn't bring the series down makes my day. Things look promising from here on...

Acting: 5/5
Story: 3/5
Use of Characters/dialogue: 4/5
Series Relevance: 4/5
Personal Enjoyement/Entertainement: 3/5

Total: 19/25= 76%= SCORE:GOOD+

(Rating Grid:
0%=Poison
0-20%=Complete Failure
20-40%=Very Poor
40-60%=Poor
60-70%=Average
70-80%=Good
80-90%=Very Good
90-100%=Terrific
100%=Perfect
)
Last edited by Broadcast on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:59 am, edited 17 times in total.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

WOw, Broadcast...that was a very thorough and intriguing review...and a nice piece of writing. *high-fives Broadcast*

Frank's working on hers too...keep your shirt on. :D
Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

it was a good episode

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can