574: "Prisoners of Fear I"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

The typical star rankings....

5 Stars
65%
4 Stars
30%
3 Stars
5%
2 Stars
No votes
1 Star
No votes

Total votes: 43

Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Yea!! I'm going to listen in just a few moments.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Me wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Me wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I just listened for the first time today (and therefore only have to wait one day to listen to part 2 online - yay!) and liked it very much! \:D/ It was intriguing and a bit different that most of what AIO has done before, but not so different as to be annoying. I had been expecting a reference to Eugene's father before I listened, due to some info that was posted on the TH (and here too later, I think), but I'm pretty sure I would have guessed it anyway, since we already know that Eugene looks just like his father and disappeared a long time ago. I look forward to seeing what they're going to do with that storyline - it has a lot of potential for sure! \:D/

I'll have more thoughts on the ep after part 2 is up - I'm sure it will be great! :D
It's up now, go listen!
Part 2 is already up o_O See, I'm right! It keeps getting earlier and earlier!

link please?
As stated in the other thread, http://podcasting.oneplace.com/anc/aiow ... 051015.mp3
Heh, thanks. I saw that post up there before I saw your other topic.

-Jonathan
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Wow, already? \:D/
...I hate marquees.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Very totally cool!!! I am downloading now.
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

So, it's only available in MP3 format, not streaming?
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

No its available on oneplace as well.....
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

Could you give me the direct link please? I have tried changing the date but it doesn't seem to work.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

Thank you for the links, but I was really wanting the direct links for part two, not part one. I changed the date on the links you gave me, but it didn't work.

Dave
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Sorry there is no current stream for part 2 I believe
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

Okay. I don't understand why they have a MP3 up, but not a RealAudio or WM file. That's strange.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

You should be able to just open it, not download it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I'll listen to it sometime.

Yours Truely,
Odyssey Bank Teller,
-Cowboy of Texas
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

Arwen wrote:You should be able to just open it, not download it.
Yeah, I can do that with the MP3, but I have dial-up so it would pause every five seconds, probably. I guess I'll just wait till tomorrow.

Dave
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I just got to listen to Part 1 last night...it was great!!! I thought it was exciting, and I didn't know what was coming at the end. That's probably because I hadn't heard any teasers or read whatever article is apparently out. :)

The music was excellent...it fit the African scene and was overall better than normal.

For part 1, I rate it 5/5!
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

for part 2 i rate it -100/5
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

mr.whit wrote:for part 2 i rate it -100/5
Wrong thread meboy. And you're being a bit harsh.
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

Reviews from AIOHQ

From Ruthie, age 13.5
Rating: 4 stars
Wow!!! This is my new favorite episode!!!! It reminded me of 'Search for Whit' and 'Cross of Cortez'....it had adventure, suspense, comedy and everything else a good episode should have! I think it's also good to hear Eugene back in action!

From Nathan Ehnis, age 17
Rating: 3 stars
Great and A cliffhanger! I loved the ending im sure im not the only one who's going to be shuffling through old odyssey tapes to find out the scoop on what happend to eugene's parents in the first place. I mean are we SURE their dead? But the names of upcoming ep's tell me that their not (or if they are it is not going to be A big deal)

From Gena Wenli, age 27
Rating: 2 1/2 stars
Prisoners of Fear was on OK episode, but just say it... "Eugene's father was in the exact same village before he tragically disappeared!" It
sounds so cheesy, and I'm getting REALLY sick of Katrina nagging and controlling Eugene. HE'S the husband, and she shouldn't be telling him what to do!

From Thom, age 15
It was very cool. I was waiting for some Eugene lore since he returned!!!

More Reviews from AIOHQ

From Jonathan, age 15
Rating: 3 stars
Eugene and Katrina in Africa and working for Missions, How did that happen? We find out his relative(I won't revealed) was a missionary there. The African-styled Music was good something out of Lion King.

From Elin, age 15
Frank was right about natives knowing Eugene's parents. Can't wait
to see how this plays out. Oh yeah, and fabulous music!

From RileyK
The tension is so thick you could comb your hair with it! Great show can't wait for part 2.

From Elizabeth, age 14
I am giving this episode a 5!!
This episode was amazing!! First of all, the music was amazing! It was refreshing, dramatic and more Radio Theatre than AIO!! The music created an air of mystery and drama. The pilot was funny, but there was a perfect amount of comedy there without taking away from the suspense of "the curse"! This was the best episode, by far that AIO has done in a while! The surprise at the end was very exciting, although it was a bit easy to guess. I cannot wait for next week!

From SManBeyond, age 19
Having come off the bad "Back to Abnormal", I did not have high hopes for this episode, particulary when I heard the concept...it didn't seem like the greatest idea AIO ever had.

Then I started listening to the episode and became pleasantly surprised. This is a great episode of AIO and will hopefully prove to be one of the best stories of the past few years.

Twenty minutes into the episode, however, I would have given it a 3 star rating for one simple reason: The African tribe in this episode is perhaps one of the most civilized and English-friendly tribes ever. From the fact that they can all understand Eugene's large vocabulary to the fact that they are not afraid of the technology they bring, the tribe seemed very abnormal to me. That is, until I heard the last five minutes and found out WHO had stayed with them twenty years ago to help make the village the way it is.

Now on to the praise: Marshall Younger did a fantastic job with writing this episode. The dialogue makes it sound like a "classic" AIO episode and up to the quality of previous, previous years.

Structure-wise, I believe it was important to have Eugene retelling the events. While it removes some suspense as we know that Eugene and Katrina survive and will not be harmed, it both assures the children that God is ultimately in control and creates additional suspense as to HOW (rather than IF) Eugene and Katrina will survive the almost certain dangers coming their way.

Another benefit was seeing how Eugene and Katrina continued to be fascinating even while married. I enjoyed their tete-a-tetes in and how they both helped each other keep their focus on their real mission.

Also, we had a subplot with a child that was actually touching and interesting to listen to. The paper airplane idea was brilliant, sweet and touching.

The best part of the episode, however, was arguably the twist at the end: Eugene discovering that his father Leonard Meltsner was the last person to visit the tribe. Previous episodes have only said that they somehow died in an archeological expedition. This is a VERY good way to create continuity and finally address what happened to them, and I am convinced Younger will not end this saga without a satisfying explanation.

Having said all that, I do wonder what the curse on these people actually is and why even the pilot believes in it. But this episode was really about buildup to what are arguably going to be even better parts, and it does this very well. For once, I am actually looking forward to hearing next week's episode.
Last edited by Nathan Hoobler on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

Heh, just started listening. Is it just me or does the weird multiple god guy at the beginig sound like Jason? :lol:
ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

When I first heard the ep, I thought that the plane/parachute guy sounded kind of like Jason. :anxious: Apprently everybody sounds like Jason, but nobody really is! ;)