574: "Prisoners of Fear I"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

The typical star rankings....

5 Stars
65%
4 Stars
30%
3 Stars
5%
2 Stars
No votes
1 Star
No votes

Total votes: 43

Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

a great episode

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can
Agent DeWhite
Tallying up

Post by Agent DeWhite »

Wonderful. And, I'd like to comment on J-man's (I believe) statement on Eugene acting a little different. (Too lazy to go back and quote, sorry) He has been slightly different. More relaxed, and less technical. He also has been getting along really well with young kids, last week with Grady and this week with the native boy -- I don't remember the name. I think married life has simmered him down a bit, and while I loved the big technical geek type person with huge words that had to be translated, this new one has me anticipating the time when Eugene will be a father. Ok, I will agree, not this season, or even next season, but I think it'd be nice some time down the road.
Oh, and I may add, Katrina's voice is growing on me. No, not like a fungus... With time, I may be able to listen to her and say, 'Yep, that's the girl who competed against Eugene on 'Truth and Trivia'.
Like many of you guys, I'm really pleased with the way this new season is gowing. And I can't wait until next week.
What do you do when your nose goes on strike?
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Agent DeWhite wrote:With time, I may be able to listen to her and say, 'Yep, that's the girl who competed against Eugene on 'Truth and Trivia'.
I will never get to that point.

-Jonathan
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

That was the one thing I didn't like.
...I hate marquees.
Agent DeWhite
Tallying up

Post by Agent DeWhite »

You will never be able to associate the two together? They'll always be the 'old Katrina' and the 'new Katrina', never just 'Katrina'? For me, the difference will always be in the back of my mind, but someday, I think I'll be able to associate this new girl as the same one that we all knew and loved.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Agent DeWhite wrote:You will never be able to associate the two together? They'll always be the 'old Katrina' and the 'new Katrina', never just 'Katrina'? For me, the difference will always be in the back of my mind, but someday, I think I'll be able to associate this new girl as the same one that we all knew and loved.
The character, yes, probably. The voice, no. That's what I thought you were talking about up there. I've listened to a ton of episodes (all of them to be exact), all of them multiple times. I will always hear a difference, just like with Paul Herlinger's and Hal Smith's voice.

-Jonathan
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

I have not listened to it yet.
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Agent DeWhite
Tallying up

Post by Agent DeWhite »

Jonathan wrote:
Agent DeWhite wrote:You will never be able to associate the two together? They'll always be the 'old Katrina' and the 'new Katrina', never just 'Katrina'? For me, the difference will always be in the back of my mind, but someday, I think I'll be able to associate this new girl as the same one that we all knew and loved.
The character, yes, probably. The voice, no. That's what I thought you were talking about up there. I've listened to a ton of episodes (all of them to be exact), all of them multiple times. I will always hear a difference, just like with Paul Herlinger's and Hal Smith's voice.

-Jonathan
Character and voice. Well put. But yes, I agree, never the voice. It's too great of a difference. I've actually never noticed the difference to the point where it's always in the back of my head with Hal Smith/Paul Herlinger. But I didn't listen back when they changed the voice, so that may have something to do with it.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I had already seen the episode description, and I guess the people over at the TH pretty much decided that it would be about Eugene's parents. So I was totally expecting it, I kind of forgot that it was supposed to be a surprise.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

5 stars. -.5 mainly because I found the ending awfully predictable, as well as the article use... but +.5 because I mean hey it's a Eugene ep and it had a good tie-in with the rest of the continuity.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Jonathan wrote:
Agent DeWhite wrote:With time, I may be able to listen to her and say, 'Yep, that's the girl who competed against Eugene on 'Truth and Trivia'.

-Jonathan
I don't think that I will either. When I first heard her voice I was shocked that they would change the actor. Maybe the Patricia Heyton (I spelled that wrong) decide not to come back for some reason.
But the new girl's voice is kinda annoying.

Yours Truely,
Odyssey Bank Teller,
-Cowboy of Texas
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

-Jonathan
I don't think that I will either. When I first heard her voice I was shocked that they would change the actor. Maybe the Patricia Heyton (I spelled that wrong) decide not to come back for some reason.
But the new girl's voice is kinda annoying.

Yours Truely,
Odyssey Bank Teller,
-Cowboy of Texas
*chuckles*

Actually, the actress you were thinking of is Pamela Hayden. And her lack of availability was very sudden, very unexpected, and very brief. If I remember correctly.

-Jonathan
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

That's the name!
I knew I spelled it wrong, but not that much. ](*,)

Yours Truely,
Odyssey Bank Teller,
-Cowboy of Texas
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I still hold out a faint hope that she'll come back, but I am starting not to mind Audrey as much.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Agent DeWhite wrote:Wonderful. And, I'd like to comment on J-man's (I believe) statement on Eugene acting a little different. (Too lazy to go back and quote, sorry) He has been slightly different. More relaxed, and less technical. He also has been getting along really well with young kids, last week with Grady and this week with the native boy -- I don't remember the name. I think married life has simmered him down a bit, and while I loved the big technical geek type person with huge words that had to be translated... .
But there's more to the character of Eugene than just his voice. His vocab and 'frantic-ness' is all part of his personality and was what made him such an amusing, interesting character. While I found the episode interesting and, for the most part enjoyable, there were jus too many times where i found myself having to translate in my mind what Eugene was saying into something just a little more advanced . (For example words like "got" into "received", "fall" into "descend")
What's the point of having eps with Eugene, if one could practically substitute his lines for just about any other character?
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

amazing show how sweet the taste of a amazing show
it moved my heart to see the part and it moved me so
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

there is a topic some where were nathon explains what happened a little bit
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Agent DeWhite wrote:Wonderful. And, I'd like to comment on J-man's (I believe) statement on Eugene acting a little different. (Too lazy to go back and quote, sorry) He has been slightly different. More relaxed, and less technical. He also has been getting along really well with young kids, last week with Grady and this week with the native boy -- I don't remember the name. I think married life has simmered him down a bit, and while I loved the big technical geek type person with huge words that had to be translated, this new one has me anticipating the time when Eugene will be a father. Ok, I will agree, not this season, or even next season, but I think it'd be nice some time down the road.
Oh, and I may add, Katrina's voice is growing on me. No, not like a fungus... With time, I may be able to listen to her and say, 'Yep, that's the girl who competed against Eugene on 'Truth and Trivia'.
Like many of you guys, I'm really pleased with the way this new season is gowing. And I can't wait until next week.
I agree! I am very glad that he is not so 'geeky.' I can see him being a father soon. Aman was the moms name, right? And Katrina, oh Katrina, I am getting use to her. (In a good way). I kind of like her voice.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Maybe the Patricia Heyton (I spelled that wrong) decide not to come back for some reason.
*chuckles* Actually, the actress you were thinking of is Pamela Hayden.
:lol: That made my day, CoT!! At least I'm not the only one who totally butchers names!
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

AIOFan11 wrote:
Agent DeWhite wrote:Wonderful. And, I'd like to comment on J-man's (I believe) statement on Eugene acting a little different. (Too lazy to go back and quote, sorry) He has been slightly different. More relaxed, and less technical. He also has been getting along really well with young kids, last week with Grady and this week with the native boy -- I don't remember the name. I think married life has simmered him down a bit, and while I loved the big technical geek type person with huge words that had to be translated, this new one has me anticipating the time when Eugene will be a father. Ok, I will agree, not this season, or even next season, but I think it'd be nice some time down the road.
I agree! I am very glad that he is not so 'geeky.' I can see him being a father soon. Aman was the moms name, right? And Katrina, oh Katrina, I am getting use to her. (In a good way). I kind of like her voice.
lol, I liked Eugene better the other way, but I do sorta like him now.
...I hate marquees.