574: "Prisoners of Fear I"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

The typical star rankings....

5 Stars
65%
4 Stars
30%
3 Stars
5%
2 Stars
No votes
1 Star
No votes

Total votes: 43

Me
An original

Post by Me »

AIOFan11 wrote:
Agent DeWhite wrote:Wonderful. And, I'd like to comment on J-man's (I believe) statement on Eugene acting a little different. (Too lazy to go back and quote, sorry) He has been slightly different. More relaxed, and less technical. He also has been getting along really well with young kids, last week with Grady and this week with the native boy -- I don't remember the name. I think married life has simmered him down a bit, and while I loved the big technical geek type person with huge words that had to be translated, this new one has me anticipating the time when Eugene will be a father. Ok, I will agree, not this season, or even next season, but I think it'd be nice some time down the road.
Oh, and I may add, Katrina's voice is growing on me. No, not like a fungus... With time, I may be able to listen to her and say, 'Yep, that's the girl who competed against Eugene on 'Truth and Trivia'.
Like many of you guys, I'm really pleased with the way this new season is gowing. And I can't wait until next week.
I agree! I am very glad that he is not so 'geeky.' I can see him being a father soon. Aman was the moms name, right? And Katrina, oh Katrina, I am getting use to her. (In a good way). I kind of like her voice.
I'll have to disagree with that. I really miss the geeky Eugene. The geek is part of who he is. Just like Tom's "twang" is a part of who he is. No one totally changes the way they speak, unless there is a very good reason for it.
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

It's been three years. Of course Eugene would have changed; same with Katrina. You'll just have to get used to Eugene's differences and Katrina's voice. It's getting easier to accept with every episode.

Dave
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Dave wrote:It's been three years. Of course Eugene would have changed; same with Katrina. You'll just have to get used to Eugene's differences and Katrina's voice. It's getting easier to accept with every episode.

Dave
Some of his differences, yes. But at this stage of the game, I don't see it worth complaining about (since most of the people on the team haven't really written him before Something Big). Time will tell.

-Jonathan
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Dave wrote:It's been three years. Of course Eugene would have changed; same with Katrina. You'll just have to get used to Eugene's differences and Katrina's voice. It's getting easier to accept with every episode.

Dave
I thought that it was 5+ years? Am I wrong? I calculated it awhile back, and it was 11 seasons (then), that was atleast a season ago.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

That's what I was thinking too. Some of the writers probably have written his lines before.
...I hate marquees.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

AIOFan11 wrote:

Dave
I thought that it was 5+ years? Am I wrong? I calculated it awhile back, and it was 11 seasons (then), that was atleast a season ago.
5 since Will left, 3 since Eugene left (in Exit).

-Jonathan
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Jonathan wrote:
AIOFan11 wrote:

Dave
5 since Will left, 3 since Eugene left (in Exit).

-Jonathan
Okay. When I calculated I must have forgotten about the put together phrases. :-k
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

The loss of Eugene's franticness I think that it's evidence of how Eugene's matured. He's married now and the circumstances surrounding his and Katrina's marriage were so weird/dangerous that it's bound to change you some way. I don't think Eugene is any less of a geek, but I think he's become less frantic since he's become a Christian.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i wish that they would do a flash back ep. with Eugene and connie fighting like they use to. that the only thing about when he became a christian that i didn't like cause he stoped fighting with connie
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I kinda miss his geekyness, it was what made Eugene Eugene.

Yours Truely,
Odyssey Bank Teller,
-Cowboy of Texas
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
map
Found

Post by map »

I really enjoyed this episode. I am a much older listener (compared to people posting) and I still really enjoyed it. My son and I get to listen to it together.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Brian wrote:I would *hope* there isn't a pagan god that looks like Eugene... ;)
Not up on your Mexican history, are you? ;)
Broadcast
Not as new

Post by Broadcast »

Episode Review: Episode 574: Prisonners of Fear, Part 1
Writer: Marshall Younger (#102)
Sound Designer: Gap Digital
Average ratings/reviews of members: 4.53/5 stars=90.6% (Last updated: October 10th, 4:39PM, with 29 votes)

Title:Prisoners of Awesomeness

Characters:
Eugene(#167)
Katrina(#29)

After a most successful season opener, Odyssey rewards us again for our dedicated listening with the first part of three seemingly “adventure-episodes”. Though we cannot be certain if these episodes will be classic, we can certainly presume a few things.

First of all, Marshall Younger is practically a critically acclaimed "Multiple Part" writer. He's written many of the famous 2 and 3 part-ers in Odyssey History; "The Underground Railroad", "Shining Armor", "Plan Bs", "The Black Veil", "Living in the Grey"...etc.

There’s no doubt about it that this one will be high on the chart as well. The acting so far has been terrific, the sound effects believable, and the music is the most dramatic I’ve heard in seasons. It's been a while since we've ALL agreed on saying "this episode will be classic".

However, I am certainly getting ahead of myself. The episodes could certainly go downhill from here. The future of Eugene's father may be disappointing and unrealistic, and other things come to mind as well...

We haven't been able to hear much of the village so far; and so, I haven't been able to relate with them too much. Hopefully, we'll hear much more from them, and therefore learning more about their predicament. So far we've heard from 3 or so characters from that village, and I feel like I’ve barely heard them. I'd certainly like to get to know them more. I mean, I scarcely feel threaten by that one member of the Village.

An also disappointing note is the chances that an unprofessional parashooter would make it down without breaking both his legs without the proper training. Just a bit unrealistic.

But there is so much about this episode I could say I liked. I have no clue why people are talking about the way Eugene and Katrina talk. It's fine. Don't analyze it. Eugene didn't ALWAYS speak complicated-like, and neither did Katrina. If you look at the episodes where Whit was off to the Middle East, Eugene's use of big words died down significantly since the episode where he first came to Odyssey. It makes sense why; he hung around typical people. So, guys, just leave his speech alone. Until the day that he stops completely using big words and starts talking like Tom Riley, I won't bring it up again.

The ending was superb; the acting great; and the cliffhanger for the next show was indeed up there. For the 17 years I've been listening to Odyssey, I've ALWAYS wanted a show where Eugene learns about the specific deaths of his parents. And for the past five years, I thought that there could be perfectly good explanations for why they HADN'T died. If they weren't dead, it could be cool (I certainly hope they get the father’s lisp right), and if they are dead, well I hope it was a heroic death.

Again, this show has so much potential, and yet it has potential to be a disaster. But Marshall younger hasn't disappointed us in his multiple-part episodes so I don't see any reason why we should expect the worse.

Analyzing the episode any further will only ruin things, so I'll leave it there. Instead, I'll leave the ratings based on this episode only. The Overall Rating will be the average of all three. Again, this rating could change significantly in the weeks ahead.

Acting: 5/5
Story: 4/5
Use of Characters/dialogue: 4/5
Series Relevance: 4/5
Personal Enjoyement/Entertainement: 5/5

Total: 22/25= 88%= SCORE: VERY GOOD+

(Rating Grid:
0%=Poison
0-20%=Complete Failure
20-40%=Very Poor
40-60%=Poor
60-70%=Average
70-80%=Good
80-90%=Very Good
90-100%=Terrific
100%=Perfect
)

For Reviews with Simmilar Opinions and/or agreed by Author of this review, please refer to: ???
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I just realized that he is typing his journal. They are keeping Eugene, Eugene. :D
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

AIOFan11 wrote:I just realized that he is typing his journal. They are keeping Eugene, Eugene. :D
That would probably explain it. To himself he talks somewhat normal, but to others he puts on a show of big words.

Yours Truely,
Odyssey Bank Teller,
-Cowboy of Texas
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

Since I'm a little short on time, I'll just post a quick review (and not read everyone else's, at least not at this moment.)

I thought it was a pretty good episode. I liked Eugene and Katrina as missionaries-- it kind of tied everything together as far the philanthropic organization was concerned. The only thing I worry about (for pt. 2 and the rest of the season) is something that's happened to me: While I was writing my Jason/Tasha fic, in which Tasha becomes a Christian and decides to be a secret agent for the Kingdom of God, I noticed that I was consistently having a hard time keeping Tasha in-character. Similarly, I worry that the AIO writers won't be able to keep Eugene and Katrina the way the were. Especially considering that Katrina is now voiced by a different actress.

Of course, the Meltsners have been through a rough time, what with being chased around the world by Andromeda and everything. I suppose it does stand to reason that they might have changed. I guess we'll just have to see how things turn out for FOTF.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just listened for the first time today (and therefore only have to wait one day to listen to part 2 online - yay!) and liked it very much! \:D/ It was intriguing and a bit different that most of what AIO has done before, but not so different as to be annoying. I had been expecting a reference to Eugene's father before I listened, due to some info that was posted on the TH (and here too later, I think), but I'm pretty sure I would have guessed it anyway, since we already know that Eugene looks just like his father and disappeared a long time ago. I look forward to seeing what they're going to do with that storyline - it has a lot of potential for sure! \:D/

I'll have more thoughts on the ep after part 2 is up - I'm sure it will be great! :D
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Catspaw wrote:I just listened for the first time today (and therefore only have to wait one day to listen to part 2 online - yay!) and liked it very much! \:D/ It was intriguing and a bit different that most of what AIO has done before, but not so different as to be annoying. I had been expecting a reference to Eugene's father before I listened, due to some info that was posted on the TH (and here too later, I think), but I'm pretty sure I would have guessed it anyway, since we already know that Eugene looks just like his father and disappeared a long time ago. I look forward to seeing what they're going to do with that storyline - it has a lot of potential for sure! \:D/

I'll have more thoughts on the ep after part 2 is up - I'm sure it will be great! :D
It's up now, go listen!

EDIT: I guess you already saw that....
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Me wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I just listened for the first time today (and therefore only have to wait one day to listen to part 2 online - yay!) and liked it very much! \:D/ It was intriguing and a bit different that most of what AIO has done before, but not so different as to be annoying. I had been expecting a reference to Eugene's father before I listened, due to some info that was posted on the TH (and here too later, I think), but I'm pretty sure I would have guessed it anyway, since we already know that Eugene looks just like his father and disappeared a long time ago. I look forward to seeing what they're going to do with that storyline - it has a lot of potential for sure! \:D/

It's up now, go listen!
Part 2 is already up o_O See, I'm right! It keeps getting earlier and earlier!

link please?
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Jonathan wrote:
Me wrote:

It's up now, go listen!
Part 2 is already up o_O See, I'm right! It keeps getting earlier and earlier!

link please?
As stated in the other thread, http://podcasting.oneplace.com/anc/aiow ... 051015.mp3