575: "Prisoners Of Fear II"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

So what'd you think?

5 Stars *****
39%
4 Stars ****
45%
3 Stars ***
13%
2 Stars **
No votes
1 Star *
3%

Total votes: 31

Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

yeah i think its heartbreaking for eugene to find out his father had been living all that time and died 3 months ago
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

I'm glad the writers didn't tease us by not revealing until ep 3 that Eugene's parents were both dead. In a way it's almost a relief since for some reason I can't imagine anybody but Will Ryan doing the voice of Eugene's father, but that would just be ridiculous.
Though now, since that was the most interesting part of the storyline one wonders if the last ep will be all that exciting.
Mr.Whit

Post by Mr.Whit »

yeah that is interesting
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

it seemed like it was a set up for the last on
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

I would give it a 4 star, only because Eugene's father wasn't alive. :boohoo:
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I hope that in the 3rd part there is an exciting twist. I am sure the writers won't fail us. O:)
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

*note: Despite the fact that I'm posting this review semi-late, it was written last Wensday. I have not read any of yours yet, so it has remained unchanged.*

Wow. That word best sumerizes this episode (and the several preceding this one).

Now while I originally said that I didn’t want to find Leonard Meltsner to be alive, I must say that Marshal Younger wrote this well. Not only was the story advanced well in the first few minutes, but it was believable enough to take someone like I, who was more concerned with my own opinions on AIO continuity then what the writers wanted to do and their ability to do it, and brought me to a point that I was in the same mindset as Eugene, hoping to find his parents. That is the first time something like this has happened, and in the first five minutes no less.

As usual (or, in recent history), the acting, particuarly Katrina and Eugene’s performances, were subperb. (As was the music and sound design, but this nearly goes without saying). Speaking of Eugene and Katrina, they really sounded like a married couple in this episode. For example, when they were talking about being in prison.

I’ll try not to take other scene that stood out to me acting wise (since all of them did), but another scene that stood out was when Eugene came across his mother’s grave. And then in the tunnel (was it a tunnel?) Eugene went back to sounding like brain-boy, which is always fun. And in the beginning when Eugene decided to go searching for his parents (“I can’t get up hope” “We agree that we should look’ ‘Good, let’s go!’ ‘but we can’t rush into this”). The point I’m trying to get across in these two paragraphs is that the acting was amazing.

I’m going to beat some to the punch (again about a potential complaint), and say that the story was a bit predictable (like when Yousef showed up, it took me a whole 5 seconds to figure out who he was). But taking into account my age and the fact that the story was absolutely terrific, it’s nothing to complain about.

One thing that I do find worth complaining about is all this stuff about curses. I saw no reason that Eugene had to believe in curses, for many reasons. In fact, when he and Katrina came upon the dam in the middle on nowhere, that should’ve said something right there (and I’ll take the time to say that I expect that dam to have something to do with this ‘cursed’ river).

One interesting observation; if his parents disappeared 21.5 years ago, and Eugene was 7 at the time, that would make him 28.5 years old

And in closing, once again, the cliffhanger did what a cliffhanger is supposed to do; it made me (and I assume the rest of the audience) anticipate next week’s episode.

AIO Team; you’re really outdoing yourselves:

And I like it^_^ Keep up the good work.

5/5
Mr.Whit

Post by Mr.Whit »

i sure hope so
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I rated this one 4/5 simply because it is the middle one, and wasn't quite as good as the first, IMHO.

I was hoping Eugene would find his parents, and I'm still not convinced that Leonard is really dead. I too think that the dam in the river has someting to do with the so-called "curse."

I can't wait til the next episode! \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

I finally got a chance to listen to Part's one and two of Prinsoners of Fear.

I find the story quite interesting. I really, really enjoyed laughing at Eugene's 'geekness' coming back out. \:D/ The whole thing with Eugene's parents just recently dying was almost too repetitious of "Last in a Long Line." But I was glad to find out exactly what happened to them. :) (though, of course...there's no saying that his dad is actually dead. Geeks can survive underneath rocks, you know....invincible and all that ;) )

There seem to be so few stories in AIO that are actually 'on the mission field' that I find them fascinating. There are, of course, a few questions circling around in my mind........like, how Eugene and Katrina managed to be so brilliant as to perfect the language in so little time....and other such things. ;)

So far....I give the story 3.5/5. :p
Mr.Whit

Post by Mr.Whit »

yeah i hope is his dad is still alive even after all that
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I too think that the dam in the river has someting to do with the so-called "curse."
It's weird to hear you guys speculate on this... I thought Eugene all but said it outright. But that was just my impression.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Mr.Whit

Post by Mr.Whit »

yeah youre so wright
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I was hoping Eugene would find his parents, and I'm still not convinced that Leonard is really dead.
Same here. I am hoping that he isn't dead, too. I would really like to hear him. :D
Mr.Whit

Post by Mr.Whit »

well we have five more days if my math is wright unless you know how to listen to it sooner
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

AIOFan11 wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:I was hoping Eugene would find his parents, and I'm still not convinced that Leonard is really dead.
Same here. I am hoping that he isn't dead, too. I would really like to hear him. :D
Yeah, I don't know that he is dead. Maybe the bad guy (I forget his name) told them that so he could have Eugene too, instead of trading them.
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Mr.Whit

Post by Mr.Whit »

he would have to be pretty sneaky to do that

and thats him all over
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Eugene's tragic tale of just missing his relatives to death continues... :mecry:

Though after hearing the show I immediately wondered if Eugene's dad was really dead since there was an absence of a body to confirm the death.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I thought the story was pretty grim. Eugene's parents were held captive by a tribe in Africa for 19-21 years? :o Doesn't that sound a little... horrible? :-# They couldn't escape in all that time? No one came looking for them? Did they know the child they left behind had to be raised by the government as an orphan? :anxious: I can't even imagine how they were treated during that time (like if Leonard had any trouble producing results). The sheer magnitude of the time they were there is astonishing. I could go for a few months, but year after year? ](*,)

I was disappointed with this second show. Like Broadcast, I had trouble figuring out the point. The transmitter seems long forgotten. Eugene and Katrina don't seem to pray or look to God for leading (just Eugene's vague "gut instinct"). They also don't seem to be witnessing to the tribe that they have a God more powerful than curses. It's more like, "We'll just try to find my dad or something and maybe you'll realize that curses are dumb to believe in." They meet up with Yousef but I can't understand the point of that either. We hear that Eugene's parents are dead, maybe as a way to close off the story in "Last in a Long Line" that they had disappeared. I'm not sure why this show was necessary then. Eugene already considered his parents dead. Now that he knows their fate, (I think) he's not going to feel any better about it. And we get to hear a tragic tale that, for now, seems to have no redeeming value. So, I hope the third show does a lot do dispel the points I’m bringing up.

Something else that I’ve been wondering about. Eugene makes it clear at the beginning that he and Katrina were fluent in the language of the Ashanti so all the dialogue we hear is happening in their language. Why they would they need words like “second wife,” “wise one,” and “loving one,” (I can’t remember for sure on the last 2 but I think those were what Eugene’s parents were called) translated for them? When Aman (sp?) called Eugene Marati (sp?) to begin with, he should have asked her why she was calling him “wise one.” Probably those tidbits were included to make the show appear to remind us that they weren’t speaking English, but the way they’re handled doesn’t really fit with the idea of Eugene knowing the language.

Finally, Katrina once again seems like she’s really on the edge. She seems so snappy and almost angry at different points. I do not understand that at all. As of right now, I couldn’t guess whether it’s a matter of the directing or the actress herself that’s bringing that feel into it. The character of Katrina cultivated for so many years doesn’t strike me that way, so when combined with the voice change... :anxious:

I’m sorry if my whole post sounds like a rant. There were good points too, but it’s much easier for me to focus on the stuff I brought up. #-o This isn't a complete review of the show, nor can it take into account how next week's show will turn out. I'm looking forward to hearing it!
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Eugenefan23 wrote:
AIOFan11 wrote:
Yeah, I don't know that he is dead. Maybe the bad guy (I forget his name) told them that so he could have Eugene too, instead of trading them.
There is going that have to be something interesting and different in pt. 3! :D I hope so atleast!
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

i'm going to talk about parts 1 and 2
great episode(s)! i was so excited to hear SOMETHING about what happened to Eugene and Katrina while they were away. the writers really needed to address that and so far they have been doing a great job.
some people have mentioned that the ep was predictable, and yes i agree that it was, but it doesn't bother me at all. it wasn't predictable in an annoying overtly obvious way, but predictable in a way that made me excited to have figured it out beforehand and eager to see if i was right.
this episode has really helped me adjust to katrina's new voice. i like it, and though it is not the original, it doesn't do damage to the character.
as some have said, the episodes seem to lack somehting due to the fact that eugene and katrina never even talk about their faith, try to witness to the ashanti tribe, or recognize that God is more powerful than any curse, real or not. all i remember was them saying they believed in one God rather than multiple gods.
i also feel like the storyline is a little sidetracked, they go from building a transmitter, to being shunned by the ashanti (but not really) to searching for eugene's parents, to being captives.....i am hoping it all comes together in the third episode.
i am looking forward to part three and to finding out whether or not Eugene's father is dead for sure. personally i think he must be otherwise people in odyssey would have known when eugene came back.