580: "Tales of a Small Town Thug"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How many Stars?

*5 Stars*
19%
*4 Stars*
52%
*3 Stars*
22%
*2 Stars*
4%
*1 Star*
4%

Total votes: 27

Broadcast
Not as new

580: "Tales of a Small Town Thug"

Post by Broadcast »

Episode Review: Episode 580: Tales of a Small Town Thug
Writer: Marshall Younger(#105)
Sound Designer: Nathan Jones
??

Title: Between Rusty and John Campbell

Characters:
Major: (greater than 30 eps)
Whit(#384)
Connie (#272)
Eugene(#172)
Mandy (#41)

Minor: (less than 30 eps)
Liz(#23)
Trent(#12)

I had the impression this would be a mystery rather than a slice of life

I felt, at first and throughout this episode, that the mood was too “bouncy”. Odyssey music has evolved so much throughout the period of Odyssey, and it is what contributes to the overall feel of the show. I mean, if Odyssey decided to go back to the old music and keep the same storylines, then the series would improve so much. I’m not saying every new Odyssey show is like this, but what with the new side the show is revealing these days; I’m getting the impression from a few scenes that we’re returning to the 1999 split-episode age again. Because, honestly, that’s the feel I’m getting.

Luckily, it’s practically just the music.

Before you dismiss this review as a fan that is in a bad mood and always dissatisfied with the series, and always wishing that the series would go back to the way it used to—please read on. Because, of course, I’m the furthest away from that type of fan. First of all, I believe in progression. I believe that if a character has evolved from being so “intellectually bright that it takes control of himself” that they shouldn’t keep going back to how the character was just for the sake of old times. I’m not necessarily saying that that’s what they did with Eugene, but it sure sounds like they bordered on that.

The thing is, I don’t mind these episode once in a while. Let’s say, for example, that we’re midway throughout the “Risks and Rewards” Era/Season (an excellent period in Odyssey), and we turn on the radio to listen to the episode that aired today. Let me review this episode in that circumstance (not taking into consideration that it would awkward from the rest of the season);

The storyline was very well written and intelligent. It was an all-favorite cast and a well-produced slice of life storyline. It was nice to hear from Liz and Mandy once more, as well as Trent. With every episode that passes, I always wonder if it’ll be the day where the team decides to take out Liz and Mandy, and dismissing them as being too old for the show. However, could it be that this show just helped them in staying for a little while longer?

I’m sure that the rest of my fellow-reviewers noticed that the show didn’t touch on why exactly Mandy was in a grumpy mood. It was only until I re-listened to the show that I realized that she remained that way from the very beginning—though, it’s hard to really notice at first. Perhaps it was just meant for the sake of the program, but, and yes I’m taking a large stab in a very dark space; I thought they were trying to evolve the romance between Mandy and Trent. Was it possible that Mandy was too shy around Trent, and suddenly, becoming too shy, decided to drop out of the team to avoid embarrassment? Either that, or their was some other misfortune that struck her life. Again, the show never touched on what was eating her. Strange. Hopefully, it was actually something.

Speaking of storylines, it was a stroke of genius for Odyssey to re-use these old characters. This time, it was done in such a way without actually having us hear from the character. Rusty, in my opinion, was probably the most intimidating bully in Odyssey. He acted, and played the bully so perfectly, that I wished that he could stay on the show for longer. Either that, or take over the lead of the bones of Wrath. As a matter of fact, one of my first attempted Odyssey scripts was one where Rusty came back to town, but he and Rodney found that they didn’t have anything more in common—in a way that made Rodney look like a good guy, and, in the end, Rusty takes over the gang. Anyways, it is nice to hear where the characters are at now in life. Even though we still follow Whit, Connie, Eugene, and many others, Odyssey shouldn’t always forget those that went through the long dark tunnel. To do other otherwise would be leaving too many unanswered threads in the series. So, even though, to my slight disappointment, Rusty didn’t appear in today’s program, it always leaves the opportunity that he’ll make his appearance one more on the show. After all, Whit said himself—he has a grudge on Odyssey. He wants to get a reaction. Apparently, he feels some need for revenge against the people of the town. Could the series put this to good use in the future? I certainly think so. This also answers why “The Election Deception” aired last weekend—to remind us fans of who exactly Rusty was. Looking at the bigger picture, maybe it’s lining Rusty up for bigger and more exciting purposes on the show! Stretching things, is it? Perhaps…

The third storyline evolving from this episode would be Connie’s book. Though I don’t see any purpose for this in future episodes, it sure did sound like she’ll be working on it in the future (simply in the manner Chris mentioned it at the end of the show.)

A few remarks on the dialogue. Some of it; (such as today’s quote) was good and original. Other parts were a bit clichéd and not funny (Connie’s “stinky” talk). I feel Eugene’s usual rampage and going crazy is being a bit overdone lately. However, I’m sure that it’ll all change once they touch on every aspect of his character for the newer listeners. I am, on the other hand, becoming a bit weary of Connie, for what reason I don’t know. I don’t think Odyssey needs to play her up more than she needs to be.

A few positive remarks of the show included the originality. In all my days, I would’ve never have thought of Eugene as a Janitor. Truly, that’s a new angle that I’d never had thought about. Also, I found it interesting that every person played his or her part interestingly enough through how Rusty described him or her. It’s only natural that Eugene reacted the way he did through his description, as well as Liz, and indeed, Connie’s description was the funniest of all. In the end, it’s interesting how Connie was the mature one of the bunch (situation-wise not character-wise). Even Whit’s reaction to his choice of pants was amusing, even though I never thought he’d react in that certain way (who knew he was so self conscience when it comes to looks). However, it seems strange that Eugene was caught twice indirectly giving fashion tips.

The episode elaborated on the whole, “two storylines, wrapping together cleanly into one at the end”, and made it better (even though I’m growing tired of that style). Every single character had their own little plot. Overall the storyline was hugely fantastic, and was the best one (aside from the three part-er) of the season. It showed the creativity and ingenuity of the entire Odyssey team.

Wait, since when is Marshall Younger into bathroom humor?

Now, if let’s view this show to where it was placed in the series. It’s the whole bounciness, and craziness, and everything “up in the air” that bugs me. Anyone else notice it? I mean, it actually worked on this show and made it funny and comical at times, however, the fact that it followed a series of these types of slice-of-life shows (thankfully “Always” aired last week) is what makes things tiresome. I mean, take a look at all these scenes in the episode that didn’t require music in the background. They were just talking normally. Nothing big was happening. Why have this wonderful orchestra clashing with amazement, when people are discussing ideas for a debate? I know it’s a kid’s show, and Odyssey is trying new ways of making things frantic and appealing but why fix something that isn’t broken? Look at the 95, 96, 97 years, they were extremely serious shows, but brought about the highest interest in its fans. Afterall, I should know—I was a kid back then.

In the end, I suppose my opinion on this episode will have to remain partially undecided considering how the rest of the season goes. If this tradition continues, which it most certainly will with next week being Kathy Wierenga’s “A Christmas Conundrum”, then I’ll start liking this episode less then the reasonable amount I already do (go back, read twice).

But, wait a minute; things were ALSO “up in the air” in “Peace on Earth”! However, they were done so in a realistic manner, without including any crazy music to appeal kids. So, there shouldn’t be any reason to think next week will continue this bizarre tradition in slice of life shows…

…right?

However, as a note, I’d like to commend the Odyssey team for remaining so constant and accurate throughout the shows these days. The series has been running smoothly with constant storylines…and none the more then the last two seasons. Rumor has it, that you have much more up your sleeve. So, to all you fans wondering where this is all going please remain faithful and appreciate every episode as it comes. Criticize and make comments, but as long as your doing so in order to improve the already good quality of Adventures in Odyssey.

Acting/dialogue: 3/5
Story/Originality: 4.2/5
Use of Characters: 4.2/5
Series Relevance: 4.2/5
Personal enjoyment/Entertainment Value: 4/5

Total: 19.6 /25= 78.4%= SCORE:GOOD+

(Rating Grid:
0%=Poison
0-20%=Complete Failure
20-40%=Very Poor
40-60%=Poor
60-70%=Average
70-80%=Good
80-90%=Very Good
90-100%=Terrific
100%=Perfect
)

For additional Reviews agreed by the author, please refer to:

Memorable Quotes:

Eugene: (Sighs) Very well. If the Basement Furnace room is where I have to go to escape recognition, then that is where I should go. (Grunts, unlocks door) Oh my! This place does need a good cleaning! (Sniffs) Wait a minute… (Sniff-sniff)What’s that smell?

[Loud fire trucks drive down the street, blazing their horns, followed by police cars and reporters]

Reporter: Excuse me—excuse me, sir!

Eugene: Uh, yes?

Reporter: Turner Ward, Odyssey Times Reporter. Are you man who reported the gas leak in the basement of the Odyssey middles school?

Eugene: (sighs) Yes…

Reporter: Then tell me—how does it feel to have save hundreds of lives?

Eugene: Great…just great.
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

As always, Broadcast, I look forward to your reviews. And once again, you've done a great job! Thanks :). Btw, how did you get to hear the episode "early"??
Last edited by Kenric on Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

It was posted here on Thursday evening. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

That's great!! I'm currently listening to, "In All Things Give Thanks", so once I'm done, I'll listen to that :).
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

To be honest, this show disappointed me. :| Connie was angry beyond belief and the idea of having her write a book at the end seemed really "un-Connielike" to coin a new word. I would much rather have seen Whit return to his short-story writing.
Once again, Whit seemed a little overwhelmed in this show. ](*,) I can understand trying to have him be "grandfatherly" and gentle but he's getting too much like Jack Allen, who won't say anything for fear of what people will think. No, I don't want to return to an angry Whit like some of the early shows where his temper flares up, but I want him to be a little more... extroverted... and able to speak clearly... and with his kindly sense of humor. :pray:
I enjoyed Eugene's part of the episode, though the ending with his trying not to take credit was a little strange. I'm sorry, but was Whit actually confused when he read the newspaper story? Eugene and Gene are so similar, Eugene was working at the school and janitor, and Whit knows everyone in town (really!). :-s And then Eugene's heaping the praises on this fictitious Gene Malstin struck an odd note when he was trying so hard to not let other people praise him.
I kept wondering what was wrong with Mandy and I was looking forward to hearing why. That was a bit of a letdown. :anxious:
I wish we could have actually heard Rusty. His actor, Shawn Svoboda (sp?), was on the show in Danger Signals as Greg O'Neill on "Fifteen Minutes."
This is probably just because I was listening to "It Began with a Rabbit's Foot" recently, but it sort of bugs me when characters talk about "remembering" someone that we never heard them interacting with and are from a different "era." In "It Began with a Rabbit's Foot," Lucy says, "I remember Philo," when Whit was talking about how the Bible Room started. It can be argued that Lucy was around in that era, but she's an exception among the kids. She didn't age but the rest of the kids did. So if they're trying to keep Lucy young, they shouldn't have her "remembering" someone that she should technically be several years younger than. :anxious: In the same way, all I could think when listening to this show was, "How could Rusty possibly know Liz and Alex?" He'd have to be way older than they are. Jimmy's an adult! Rusty should be at least as old as Jimmy. I guess they needed to use current kids as examples to be able to write the half of the show with Liz, Trent, and Mandy but I didn't find it believable at all. :shrugs:
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Yeah, this episode dissappointed me too. I was expecting a very different episode, maybe something to do with Rusty coming back, or Rodney reappearing. I enjoyed the scenes where Eugene was trying so hard not to be the center of attention and get noticed, and then he kept getting noticed! I give it a 3 star rating.
...I hate marquees.
H34TH4R
Someone's favorite

Post by H34TH4R »

how much money did you get for that post????????????
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

Okay, I thought this had a good storyline overall, but a few things stood out to me. One was Mandy. She's never the type of person she was in this ep. Granted, she was pretty mad at Liz for a while during the Mandy/Liz Argument saga, but in today's show, she was grumpy even though nobody actually did anything to make her feel that way. I've always liked what a nice character Mandy is (even though I'm glad they included the Argument saga and reminded us that she's far from perfect). Today she just...wasn't Mandy. At first I expected to hear that she didn't want to help with the debate because something Rusty wrote made her feel inferior. That would have been okay. But to portray her just being that way for no reason kinda makes her more like Liz (IMHO).
I think it's a good ep overall, besides the parts that I thought were bad (go figure :anxious: ), so I still gave it four stars.
God bless you, in Jesus' name!!!! :D
"Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)
Visit the website of my home church: http://www.freshanointingupc.org
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

I'm listening to it now!! :)
3.5/5. I'll post complete review later.
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

This was a fine episode, with which I had one major peeve. More on that later. This episode covered a topic I don't recall the show addressing before: criticism, and what to do with it. And it gave some concrete examples in the differing reactions of Connie, Eugene, Liz and even Whit. Whit got a chance to clearly express his wisdom on the topic to Liz, and it's an important lesson. I particularly liked how Whit said that both Connie or Eugene's reactions were valid. So often the show teaches a moral lesson, so there is only one right or wrong. But in this case, the show points out that just as individual talents are varied, so to are appropriate reactions to criticism. The idea that it's spurring Connie to write a book of her own? Way cool. I hope we hear more about that later.

My peeve? Why tease us with Rusty Gordon?? Every time the Whit's End bell tinkled, I expected Rusty to be walking in the door and was inevitably disappointed. I know that he moved away, but somehow I figured that the character who originated this conflict would have more individual relevance to the show. I always liked Rusty because he struck me as a more realistic character than Rodney even though he was often in the same type of role (bully). Perhaps they wanted to remind us of him because he is coming back soon? If so, why not bring him back in this episode? It would have been nice for him to show up at the end as a tangible way for us to see what the characters had learned about how to deal with his criticism. Liz could have stood up to him in person, displaying confidence in her newfound ability to allow herself to use the gifts God has given her as a leader. If Rusty's actor is no longer around, why not make the writer of the offending story a character we've never heard of? That way, the writers could exploit the potential conflict that his physical presence might cause--or not cause, thereby showing what Liz and the others have learned.

While trotting out Rusty's name did annoy me, it does have advantages over the alternative (yeah, even the one I just suggested). His character may have had no relevance to the show, but if a character we'd never heard of had written the book, I wouldn't have had as much investment in the episode. I do find it hard to believe that Rusty is capable of writing a complete story, but that only makes me more interested in how he may have changed since he's left Odyssey. Slamming people in print is a world away from his old thuggery. Still, it's nice to have him mentioned--hasn't it been like ten years since he was on the show? It's really cool when Odyssey makes use of its long history this way. I liked the touch that the book was being sold at the Electric Palace.

But if references to certain other old characters (*cough*RichardMaxwell*cough*) get tossed around without bringing the actual characters back, I might just cry (nostalgia hurts).

Also, what was up with Mandy in this episode? I kept expecting her to reveal that Rusty had called her an overacheiver, and that was why she'd been trying to get out of extra credit. But we never got a good explanation for her behavior. Which is fine, and actually quite interesting, if it gets followed up on. In fact, I really like the feeling that there are things we listeners aren't aware of that are going on in the background. It makes the characters and the town seem more realistic. I'd just like to think that it's all part of a bigger story about Mandy, rather than a random lapse of character.

All in all, a fine episode.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Rusty mentioning Liz in his book pretty much put a damper on the whole episode :(

Com'on writers, let's think about continuity.... :shame:
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I voted three. It was a good episode, but not awesome! :D I agree with Chandler in saying that the end was "unConnielike!"
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

I think we need a review from Aria. O:)
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

good thinking :D
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

Jimmy Barclay wrote:I think we need a review from Aria. O:)
STRYPER wrote:Good Thinking :D
Yep. I second the motion on Aria coming over here :).
FluteBoy
Gold Member

Post by FluteBoy »

Stylus Parker wrote:
Jimmy Barclay wrote:I think we need a review from Aria. O:)
STRYPER wrote:Good Thinking :D
Yep. I second the motion on Aria coming over here :).
I mentioned this to Aria and she's going to come over here and comment when she has the time;)

Zac
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

A couple other points I forgot to mention...

The storyline seemed like it wandered a lot to me. They were trying to tie it in with a book by Rusty but it seemed a bit of a stretch.

Eugene cleaning the urinals? #-o You know, as a girl, it was many years before I knew what a urinal was. :- I remember reading a story in a Clubhouse magazine that mentioned one and I was thinking, "What in the world is that?" Suffice it to say that I wish they wouldn't include stuff like that on shows when little girls are going to be asking there mommies what those are. :-# I know they're not evil but it's just gross. :sick:
Omega
Gold Member

Post by Omega »

It was ok, I did not like the way Eugene acted. Liz and Alex Jefferson were not a round the time of Rusty. But I did like the tie in with Rusty. Overall it was ok but I did not like there humor.
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

im listening to it now
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Broadcast wrote:Now, if let’s view this show to where it was placed in the series. It’s the whole bounciness, and craziness, and everything “up in the air” that bugs me. Anyone else notice it? I mean, it actually worked on this show and made it funny and comical at times, however, the fact that it followed a series of these types of slice-of-life shows (thankfully “Always” aired last week) is what makes things tiresome. I mean, take a look at all these scenes in the episode that didn’t require music in the background. They were just talking normally. Nothing big was happening. Why have this wonderful orchestra clashing with amazement, when people are discussing ideas for a debate? I know it’s a kid’s show, and Odyssey is trying new ways of making things frantic and appealing but why fix something that isn’t broken? Look at the 95, 96, 97 years, they were extremely serious shows, but brought about the highest interest in its fans. Afterall, I should know—I was a kid back then.

In the end, I suppose my opinion on this episode will have to remain partially undecided considering how the rest of the season goes. If this tradition continues, which it most certainly will with next week being Kathy Wierenga’s “A Christmas Conundrum”, then I’ll start liking this episode less then the reasonable amount I already do (go back, read twice).

But, wait a minute; things were ALSO “up in the air” in “Peace on Earth”! However, they were done so in a realistic manner, without including any crazy music to appeal kids.
I only skimmed the reviews, but this here written by Broadcast perfectly captures my biggest pet peeve in Odyssey these days; craziness that is unrealistic (as someone who always lives in a busy lane, so to speak, I can say this wasn't realistic), crazy music where none is needed; etc.

I'm sorry, but this does not make an episode for me.

I want realistic storylines, I want music that wasn't written for the circus, I want something that is not intended solely for younger listeners, but something that can appeal to all ages. If I remember correctly, this was one of the founding points of the show.

It wasn't all bad this week (boy I hate writing negative reviews), but having listened to it once, I can't remember what I liked. The reason being this 'goofiness' described above. It overrode what I was supposed to be hearing and getting out of it.

All of the episodes I haven't liked since Mitch left have had this element. It truly can ruin a show for me, and I'm afraid that's what happened here.

Also, I was kinda disappointed that we didn't hear from Rusty (one of my favorite characters), but Broadcast put things into perspective for me. Although I still wish we had heard from him.

I plan on listening to it again within the next day or two, to see if I can force myself to ignore that horribly distracting circus music (no offense to John Campbell), and that distracting goofiness, so I can get some proper enjoyment out of it.