001: "Whit's Flop"

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

Star rating?

5 Star
17%
4 Star
35%
3 Star
35%
2 Star
9%
1 Star
4%

Total votes: 23

MDB17
Lucid and deductive

001: "Whit's Flop"

Post by MDB17 »

Okay I talked it over with "The Man" (or now know as Santapaw a.k.a Shadowpaw) and he had been thinking about doing this but i volunteered to. But we are going to start at the beginning and do reviews for all the episodes for beginners and new members to provide a easy way to find out about certin episodes. So lets start with "Whit's Flop"!
Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle

Post by Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle »

It's a rather sudden start to Odyssey
WatchaCall
Animatronic

Post by WatchaCall »

I think it's interesting that "Whit's Flop," while giving some information about what the series is about and some details about the main characters, isn't really an episode that seems to set the stage.

Of course, some details were revealed in the Family Portraits series that was broadcast before Adventures in Odyssey began.

Since there's no category for Family Portraits episodes, which preceeded Odyssey USA/Adventures In Odyssey, here's something on the "Whit's Visitor" episode (the actual first) that I posted elsewhere:

It's the first episode of the Family Portrait Series that started it all, set in Odyssey, Ohio.

I'm glad the introduction by Dr. Dobson was included on the CD. It was so interesting to hear the program being promoted as a 13-week series. Here we are 20 years later and it's still running. Awesome.

The "Whit's Visitor" episode isn't up to the standard of those to come, but the simiplicity is nice. Besides the historic significance, it's an important episode in that much is learned about the character of Whit (and Whit's character!).

Also, the introduction of Tom Riley...

My favorite part of the episode is the first sound you hear -- the opening of the door and tinkling of the bell at Whit's end. Some things never change. Thankfully.

Note: The historic show can be found on Volume 9 "Just In Time" of the relatively new Gold Series.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

"Whit's Flop" was a great first episode. The main character Mr. John Avery Whitaker, and his best friend in Odyssey Tom Riley, are introduced. We learn about Whit and the way he teaches people lessons. It's a shame we don't hear much more from Davey and Amanda. One thing is not clear: how long did this happen after he opened the place?
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

I heard this episode last night and was struck at how similar this very first episode sounds compared to a slice-of-life episode released today. I really did enjoy Chris before and after the episode, something I wish was a little more prevalent now...

Davey as a (originally) one episode character intrigued me because of how dynamic he was. He goes from someone who is depressed because of his failures, becomes enthralled in the new invention for a time, coming back down to earth from his "mountaintop" after his assumed failure, and finally jubilant at his unintended success.

It's hard to imagine that 25 years of an excellent radio drama came after this. This episode set a precedent for many future slice-of-life episodes because it was so independent. I didn't have to hear a previous episode to completely understand this one, and that's a trend that I think the writers of the show continued.
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

The Chris wrap arounds in the beginning were always interesting. I find mysef to be a bit accident prone myself, so this is a good reminder to listen to sometimes. We do hear from Amanda in 3 other episodes. This is a great introduction to Whit's End. The one issue I do have is Whit shows Davey Inventors Corner, then they head to the workshop. It was later revealed that the workshop is in the basement. So, did Whit move it or does he have 2? There's no way they go to the basement that quick.

From the very beginning they are trying to teach responsibility. The music cues in the early days were so great too. I miss them. Hearing Davey explain the changes to the flop make it easy to mentally picture it. This was one of my first times learning about Edison. After listening to this episode, I'm craving some pizza. :drool:
ImageImageImage
logos linked
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

This episode broadcast on 2022-02-28.
Episode summary
Davey Holcomb learns that failure is important when Whit shows him how to turn a failure into a great success.
My thoughts
Whit's Flop is obviously one of the classic episodes. We met Mr. Whittaker, and a kid (who didn't last too much longer as the character, but the voice actor did in other roles). I think it's cool that we get a story about a kid who learns an important lesson, even if the character doesn't get to stick around.

Mr. Whittaker sounds more grandfatherly and approachable in my opinion, but then of course this was the first voice of Whit. Everyone else is just pretending.

The lesson about not giving up is a good one. Interestingly enough, this isn't even a Bible lesson. It's just an important life skill. (We'll hold reservation on the actual character traits of Thomas Edison.)

The music in the show has a different role than music in the show nowadays. I like these times better, probably mostly because of nostalgia.

This is a solid episode, but outside of the nostalgia and low catalog number, is not exceedingly relistenable.

3/5.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: