581: "A Christmas Conundrum"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How many Christmas tree ornaments does this ep get?

5 - it's better than my favourite Christmas tree angel!
25%
4 - it was wonderful, though not as cool as my Winnie-the-Pooh ornament!
53%
3 - it was okay, kind of like my old pine cone ornaments
19%
2 - my old preschool handprint ornaments are better!
No votes
1 - too bad to even compare to my beloved Christmas tree ornaments!
3%

Total votes: 36

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
581: "A Christmas Conundrum"

Post by Catspaw »

I haven't heard the ep yet myself, but I needed a topic to sticky, so here it is! \:D/ Have fun!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

\:D/ Great show! I enjoyed it! :D

Where's Katrina? Did Eugene lock her in the fridge by accident? :anxious: I can hear that farewell already.
"Bye Katrina, I'm heading to Whit's End for the gift exchange that we've so cleverly managed to forget to include you in while we act like the old days where Tom calls me 'YOU-jean' and just doesn't understand 'that boy'."
(I didn't miss Katrina at all, it just seems odd that Eugene's married and she's not around... but at least he mentioned her! :anxious:)

Notice ever since "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow?" and "No Way In/Out" that so many of the shows contain a reference to Wankel's Automotive and Honest Erwin's? :lol: You'd almost think that all other businesses had left Odyssey with the frequency we here those two mentioned. Or maybe this is "National Car Awareness Year." :-k

I LOVED the way Bart was selling things over the suggested retail and the way he used that same "picky, picky" line that he used in "Live at the 25." :D
I also liked the Bart and Tom conversation. ;) It seems like we hear Bart and Tom on the same shows more frequently because they're voiced by the same person. But maybe I'm just imagining things. :-k
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Well, I enjoyed this episode, although I missed Katrina as well. I thought it was rather funny how everyone kept getting mixed up, it reminded me of some of the old shows. I'm not really sure what else to say, besides the fact that I rate it four stars.
...I hate marquees.
Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

i like it because it feels like your listening to a old episode.

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

I thoroughly enjoyed this. As with many of the new episodes, it seems more "classic" than most of the recent years. It's probably just Eugene's Super Classicness Power... or something...
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Although the plot was rather predictable, I really enjoyed this episode! As others have already mentioned, it seemed like one of the good old classic AIO eps. It was funny, and taught a good lesson.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

It was real good. I enjoyed all the misunderstandings. I gave it 4 stars.
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

For me, this was an okay episode at least, and I would probably like listening to it again, except I kept finding little things to be nit-picky about. Like, the fact that Katrina was just missing. That was just odd. And then Whit's conversation with Tom. It wasn't even a tactful exit. (Altogether, I was just plain disappointed in Whit until the end.) And Connie's "I'm so excited to open presents!" line bugged me.

But the ending made it alright, I loved Grady's story about his mother's gift to him. And Bart! Suggested retail price! Yes! \:D/
Broadcast
Not as new

Post by Broadcast »

Episode Review: Episode 581: A Christmas Conundrum
Writer: Kathy Buchanan(#35)
Sound Designer: Nathan Jones
??

Title: A Christmas Buchanan

Characters:
Major: (greater than 30 eps)
Whit(#385)
Connie (#273)
Eugene(#173)
Tom (#122)
Bart Rathbone (#63)

Minor: (less than 30 eps)
Grady (#4)

In the spirit of Christmas, I’ll be giving Kathy Wierenga a break from criticism.

Aaw, Christmas. Looking back at all the Odyssey Christmas Shows, I almost feel inspired to rate them according to my preference. (I’ve left out two episodes, mind you)

14. Gifts For Madge and Guy
13. The Day After Christmas
12. The Popsicle Kid
11. Monty's Christmas
10. Back to Bethlehem, Parts 1, 2 & 3
9. A Christmas Conundrum
8 The Star, Parts 1 & 2
7. The Living Nativity
6. A Time for Christmas
5. The Visitors
4. It's a Pokenberry Christmas, Parts 1 & 2
3. A Lamb’s Tale
2. Unto Us a Child Is Born
1. Peace on Earth

Considering the number of not-so-satisfying/popular Christmas shows in the series, this episode actually did quite good. As you see, I’ve placed it #9. The thing is; I look at all Christmas episodes as one whole. Every episode brings a certain dimension to the Odyssey Christmas. I suppose your preference mainly depends on what part of the Odyssey Christmas adventures tingles your socks the most. Is it the story of the birth of Jesus? Is it Whit’s Famous Eggnog? Is it an Imagination Station adventure? Is it hearing craziness throughout a time meant for peace? By itself this episode would be nothing if it didn’t also mean adding to the other great Christmassy shows.

I tell ya’, it sure doesn’t seem like Christmas until I listen to a good old holiday episode.

I remember last year when I read Shadowpaw’s review for “A Lamb’s Tale”;
Shadowpaw wrote: Next year I'm demanding that the characters drink hot chocolate, sing Christmas carols, decorate a Christmas tree, and give gifts to one another!
Well, one out of four isn’t bad—and Whit’s famous eggnog was mentioned! And while, I was half waiting for that too, it was a nice holdover until that time truly comes.

Overall, I enjoyed the cast in today’s episode. Having Whit, Tom, Eugene and Connie open gifts before Christmas at Whit’s House was so classic that I wonder why it hasn’t happened sooner. I was extremely pleased with the whole mood and atmosphere of the episode. Though, anyone else expected a roaring fire in the background while they were opening gifts? Hmm. Something was missing throughout that scene…

Obviously hot chocolate, Christmas Carols, Christmas tree decorations…;)

Though, maybe if they hadn’t rushed to opening presents after Connie arrived, they would’ve had time to do that.

The fact that Katrina was missing makes more sense then what people think. This episode takes place much earlier then Christmas day, since everyone mentioned they were gone the following day and since “Silent Night” takes place on Christmas Eve. Though it doesn’t excuse the fact that Katrina would be spending Christmas with the rest of the gang, I assume that Eugene and Katrina will be spending Christmas with each other. However, maybe she thought that the gift-giving ceremony was a tradition between the four of them and she wanted to respect that. Okay. The reason that I’m defending her is the fact that her presence in this episode would not have worked. Confusing 4 presents among four people is hard enough than having 5 people! And I realize that it’s hard for Eugene to play parts if his wife is constantly around him—like a wife should be doing—but…then she’d just get annoying and most probably convince younger listeners never to get married. But, wait a minute; so many characters were missing from this episode that I don’t even understand why she’s the big deal. I had wondered when I read the description for this episode which characters would be making up the list of characters. Luckily, it was many of the old/original characters. But, then I thought of so many other characters that I wish could’ve just piled into Whit’s House. As Whit greeted Connie merrily as she entered the door, I was almost thinking to myself; ”alright, and now, please open the door for Jack, Jason, Bernard, Harlow, Nick, the Washington’s, and heck, even the Barclays too.” After all, what’s a Christmas show without the Barclays?

I can’t go without mentioning the great dialogue Kathy Buchanan managed to write between these characters. One of these scenes was the highlight of the episode. I especially enjoyed the conversation Eugene and Grady had at the end of the episode. It continues their friendship made in “Back to Abnormal” and shows a particularly rare compassionate side to Eugene. His explanation to why he didn’t need to repay for the present really drove in what Whit talked about moments earlier (when we so rudely interrupted by Tom’s vacuum). Other instances included the quibble between Connie and Eugene, Whit and Eugene’s conversation at the beginning, and Tom’s “twang”…

I very much enjoyed the moral of the show. I had truly never thought of the story of the Wiseman in that sense, and it’ll most assuredly have me looking at it in a different way. Jesus gave them the greatest gift at all that their gifts must’ve been nothing in comparison—however, they gave them anyway.

And what’s a Kathy Wierenga episode without complaints? I knew the usual stupidity and silliness would slip in at spots, which, truly, was the only real drawback to the episode. Or else it would’ve been worthy of a higher rating. Not including the donut joke, the toast joke, the hubcaps, the powerful vacuum (which is a recurring joke not getting any funnier…), and, most of all, the mustache trimmer, the episode was fairly light on the usual Kathy humor. I still think she’s an impressive and talented writer…but she has a thing for these types of jokes.

Too bad I don’t have a thing for them...

And, of course, I was a bit puzzled with Whit’s…stupidity. I’m not sure about the older episodes, but I wonder if Whit was always not very subtle. I remember back in “Room Enough for Two”, how he was extremely obvious in his attempts to make Liz and Natalie friends. Oh well, at least it’s official.

Aside from a few minor complaints like that, the overall episode did fairly well. Like many others, I have a big heart for last year’s Christmas Adventure. But, of course, this one was better than nothing. Luckily, and though we shouldn’t expect the AIO Christmas of our dreams, we are dished with yet another holiday show next week.

Broadcast wishes you all a Merry Christmas! Until the season finale…!

Acting/dialogue: 5/5
Story/Originality: 4.2/5
Use of Characters/Consistency: 2.6/5
Personal enjoyment/Entertainment Value: 4/5

Total: 15.8 /20= 79%= SCORE:GOOD+

*Note: Due to the realization of the uselessness of one category, I decided to delete it and partially combine it with one other so that it makes more sense. As it was, it was automatically taking down points of a show if the shows wasn't important to the series. Slice of Life shows were automatically penalized.

(Rating Grid:
0%=Poison
0-20%=Complete Failure
20-40%=Very Poor
40-60%=Poor
60-70%=Average
70-80%=Good
80-90%=Very Good
90-100%=Terrific
100%=Perfect
)

For additional Reviews agreed by the author, please refer to: CATSPAW

Memorable Quotes:

Connie: What a mess! You’re never gonna guess what happened to me this morning.

Eugene: You confused your hairspray with your Antiperspirant Spray.

Connie: Like I would make that mistake twice

Eugene: Hmm…

Last edited by Broadcast on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Whit was getting Connie a car, Connie thought Eugene was getting her the car so she bought him the stereo, but Eugene saw Tom getting the stereo and thought that Tom was getting it for him, so Eugene gave Tom the vaccuum, but Tom thought that Whit was getting him the vaccuum so Tom got Whit the watch with the altimeter. *pant* *pant* Maybe I'll draw a diagram. *pant*
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

Hey Broadcast what about Grady ?
Characters:
Major: (greater than 30 eps)
Whit(#385)
Connie (#273)
Eugene(#173)
Tom (#122)
Bart Rathbone (#63)
Minor: (less than 30 eps)
None
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I also noticed that Grady was left off of Broadcast's "Minor Characters" list. :anxious:

I listened today, and I enjoyed the fun-ness of the ep! It kind of felt like Christmas, but the Christmas spirit was somewhat diminished by the small number of characters. In a way it was nice, since, except for Grady, they were all classic characters. However, there were so many other characters that it would have been nice to touch base with! However, I don't want to criticize that very much yet, since some of that could happen next week in "Silent Night."

Gift-giving was played up a bit much perhaps, but the focus on the wise men and how we can never give enough to compensate for the gift that we have been given was a great point to ponder, and I appreciated the new angle - it wasn't just a typical, cliched Christmas moral.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode, with the right touch of Bart-style humour and some nice, classic AIO conversations! :D
Broadcast
Not as new

Post by Broadcast »

Jimmy Barclay wrote:Hey Broadcast what about Grady ?
Catspaw wrote:I also noticed that Grady was left off of Broadcast's "Minor Characters" list. :anxious:
Thank-you,

My Apologies. For some reason, my mind had left him out. That inacuracy has been fixed, as well as one other: I remarked I had also written "Between the Two of Us", when I meant to spell the correct episode title; "Room Enough for Two".
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

Broadcast wrote:
Shadowpaw wrote: Next year I'm demanding that the characters drink hot chocolate, sing Christmas carols, decorate a Christmas tree, and give gifts to one another!
Well, one out of four isn’t bad—and Whit’s famous eggnog was mentioned! And while, I was half waiting for that too, it was a nice holdover until that time truly comes.
You'll be happy to know that they do ALL FOUR in next week's episode.

Nathan
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:
Broadcast wrote:

Nathan
Yay! \:D/ I'm so happy to hear that! Apparently Shadowpaw has power beyond what we thought! ;)

*taps foot anxiously, waiting for next week*
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:
Broadcast wrote:

Nathan
Awesomeness! :cheerleader: *is looking forward to next week's show*
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I liked this one. (But then again I like most every.)

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I really liked it! \:D/ I hadn't thought about Katrina not being there - I guess I'm still not adjusted to the idea of Eugene being married. :anxious:

I give it 4 Christmas tree ornaments! \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Evil Chick wrote:
Nathan Hoobler wrote:
Broadcast wrote:

Nathan
Awesomeness! :cheerleader: *is looking forward to next week's show*
Yay! This is going to be a good show...I hope. :D How many gifts do they exchange?
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

4 stars.
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")